HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
metrotoy. i'm not even sure where to start since you're such a douchebag.

get this straight, it's YOU that starts shit with the others on here because you don't like our opinions. to that, i say eat a dick.

you should stick to what you do best on here, which like yibs said is post press releases from the local papers that talk about all the great new projects for the DT that we'll probably never see.

and check by posts smarty pants, i've given many an opinion about what i think would help the situation as opposed to just complaining. i actually really enjoy the discussion when it comes to solutions and always have fun participating.

so unless you want to have an educated two way discussion about the issues, piss off!!

if you want to talk facts, answer this for us. how many units are still up for original sale + units that are being resold in your beautiful aqua building?
Wow, I didn't know I had such an affect on you!

The units that are for sale are current owners selling their own units. As a result, there will always be units for sale at Aqua. Just like there will always be a house for sale in Bixby Knolls or Belmont Heights. Get a clue.

And yes, thank you for pointing out what I do best. Regardless of what I post here, it was enough to encourage you to come here and post your anti stucco anti Aqua rants... so be glad I gave you this opportunity. Besides, news is news, whether anything gets built... that is beyond me. So if something doesn't get built, blame the economy or the developers but not me. I just post here for us to discuss, and I will continue to do so! Is there something that you do that is considered "best", doubtful. Besides your constant negative posts about long beach, which I obviously have a problem with, have you ever posted anything postive about living here? I mean you do pay rent right, you do choose where you live right? You did choose Long Beach right?

And one last bit of advice, wash your mouth out with soap, that potty mouth isn't very becoming of you... or is it? Eat dick much?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 7:02 PM

So yes, maybe the store fronts are going to be empty for a few years until housing and commercial real estate heat up again, but eventually they will fill up and Long Beach will continue to re-develop itself... but cleaning up the beaches will play a big role in LB being thought of as a "destination".

Looks like somebody understands that when you're called long beach, you should take care of the beach, because that's our number 1 asset. not the queen mary or the empty aquarium. And saying things like don't post here because it's negative is being closed minded to the extreme. You guys live in a progressive town like long beach, but act like close minded conservatives. That is very sad to see.

And yes there's not much positive news coming out of city hall. My big complaints are not really about drugs or homeless, San Francisco has more of both, but you have to make a compromise. Why live here with drugs and homeless, when i can live somewhere else thats a world class city with drugs and homeless. You can forget about the bad when you live in an awesome city. It's hard for me to forget about it here, because i can't go shopping in downtown unless i want to shop for clothes at walmart, and a lot of the downtown clubs are rap oriented which i am not a fan of.

I'm a big water sports person, and love to body board which i can't do even though i live on the sand. So it comes down to ones priorities. I can afford to move, and thats what will be best for me. I will always have my place in the Pacific, but will most likely rent it out to a friend.

I just hope that 5 years from now the pike actually has shopping, instead of lame chain restaurants. Is having a chili's and bostons gourmet pizza on the waterfront a good move? I thought those spots on restaurant row could of been filled with classy unique places to eat, but sadly they picked the chains., but they could of picked better quality chains. I know the tourists like chains, but i'm a tourist when i visit other cities, and don't want wack chains. lol

And it's basically just downtown and certain parts of the west and north sides that are not so great when it comes to retail and other things. As a whole long beach is a pretty successful city, but has potential to be so much more.

Last edited by yibs; Dec 4, 2007 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 7:13 PM

And that's what were doing mr metro. Having a discussion, but maybe you'll find out someday that those don't always go the way you want them too.

Couldn't even respond to how long you've lived here, what have you done at city council meetings? Have you ever participated in the Saturday beach clean ups that me and about 100 others have been doing for along time now? I'm just curious about what causes you've taken up in the city. Would you volunteer at the local churches to hand out food like we've done in the past?

I guess you get mad after a while when you've put so much effort into trying to help this city, and make it a great place, and then watch the city council ruin the 2 big chances to help downtown with cityplace, known as crack place on the east side, and our grand ole pike which has food and more food and i think some food. And its all crappy food, with tons and tons of empty store fronts which gets depressing. makes the place feel like a ghost town at times. Uncles Al's Seafood is moving away because of high rent, that's what drove open the bookstore out of the east village, and down to the east side. rent should not be higher in downtown then the east side, but it is, and then you wonder why we have no shops. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. we all know that belmont shore and downtown compete which each other, but belmont is winning because shops keeping moving from downtown to over there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 1:34 AM

metrogay...your post usually amuse me but your last one was boring. although you did manage to use the term "potty mouth"...so that was pretty fun.

and btw, i'm sure the giant advertisements hanging off the building aren't being put up by current owners that are selling their units. that's put up the developer trying to not to completely lose his ass. sure, current owners are probably selling...but that place never sold out to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 4:27 AM
SC made me a hippie

Drisee,
Hey, please do not use derogatory connotation toward a group. It is very offensive to people when you use "gay" to define negative meanings toward an object or a person. I am gay, and I was offended by some comments like "metrogay" or "eat a dick"... We don't hate you, so please do not hate us. If you are going to attack an individual person, so go ahead, but do not attack a group of people...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:14 AM

santacruzguy. if i'm living in long beach aren't i in the wrong place to hate on gays?

for the record i have many gay friends and have absolutely nothing against gays. if anything it would have been a better move for you to ask if i have something against gays rather then just come out and accuse me because perhaps i didn't follow the correct guidelines on how to properly use the word gay.

i've actually heard plenty of gays use both terms. or perhaps i have to be gay to use that word?

I respect your wishes and won't use the terms anymore, but you might want to consider how you confront someone instead of just jumping to conclusions.

i mean this with love, but if you ask me it sounds like you're playing the i'm a sensitive gay guy card.

for the record, exactly how is saying "eat a dick" offensive to gays? i could say that to anyone, guy or girl. it's meant to be a universally offensive jab.

and btw, howcome you don't hound lametroguy for taking a stab at yibs and i by calling us butt buddies? that's way more blatant then anything i said.

with respect.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 6:43 AM
SC made me a hippie

I am only replying on what I have seen on the post. I never used the word homophobic or accused you of being one, but I did say some words in your posts were offensive to me. A derogatory connotation whether you imply it with any meaning at all is still a derogatory connotation at the end. Do not imply that it is ok to say any offensive language aimed at a group based on if it is used by the group itself. I have been called a wetb*ck because I am latino, by my own race, and I am still offended by it! In my example, because it was said by my own race does not make it right and ok for it to be used freely to insult people. I am not hating on you drisee, but what I am trying to get across is that if you are going to say anything bad about a person, aim it at them, and not at a group of people. I must say I do like some of your posts, and I have always been neutral because I agree with you and yibs on many cases, so it is not a personal attack on you. My last two comments (including this one) are written to you to say that people are offended by derogatory terms and to be careful when you use them and that is it. In no way am I aiming at you to join in on the discussion between you and metro. I am a sensitive guy... I am a loving person, so you do have that right on the nose. I did not catch what metro said...but if he did say that to you and yibs...these two comments are also aimed at him.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 9:38 AM

Okay, stop the complaining and insults here. What happened to the once unity we once had here? Some of you new ones have certainly help spread the stereotype that we lack any civic pride around these parts. Now it seems like all you guys like to do is complain, and make personal insults. It used to be a tight group around here (Angelenos, this meaning all local forumers), but now its just sad.

There are plenty other sites about the LA area that you can join with like minded folks if you like this kind of drama. Where are the mods when you need them to put some of you in check?

I don't think there is any problem with everyone having their opinions. Its how things are said that I think are offensive. I'm sure each and everyone here cares about what happens in their neighborhoods. Yet some of you need to learn how to choose your words.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 9:43 AM

Now with that being said, Uncle Al's is already gone. My cousin went by this past Friday to order some fish and the business was closed.

I know Shades of Africa had a sign saying due to gentrification they are closing. I haven't been over that way in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if it has closed yet? Are they opening somewhere else?

Last edited by ChrisLA; Dec 4, 2007 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 7:18 PM

thats why

thats why i stopped posting here.......i do feel a bit frustrated that long beach is not achieving its full potential yet especially the retail problem....yibs and drisee just don't know sometimes how to make constructive criticisms when they respond and disagree to a post...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 7:43 PM

Grow up metro. yeah your the so called moral one here insulting people that don't say what you want to hear. You are the biggest insulter on this thread, and then you try to come off as the nice guy. You wont even respond when i do ask questions, sounds like you're in need of an attitude adjustment.

And shades of africa is moving, and will most likely goto the east side like every other place that gets kicked out of the village, but please grow up guys, and stop acting like little babies. I thought you're supposed to be men? If you don't like what i say, then ignore it. Why do you feel the need to respond to me, when you say my points and opinions are stupid? seems like your pretty stupid for responding to something that you believe is stupid. Do you not think before you speak, because you make contradictions all over the place which i happen to find amusing.

Yes metro you sure know how to make constructive criticism. That would be funny if it wasn't so sad. You just lie and lie and do whatever to sound like the rational one, when you're far from one.

And chris my long beach pride died about 15 years ago. I'm sorry, but i tried very hard to love my town, but my town showed no love back.

Last edited by yibs; Dec 4, 2007 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 9:32 PM

shit... uncle Al's is gone? what is this town coming too?

there's a new place called Jambalaya on pine by the Johnny Rockets. It's pretty good.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:15 PM

WE DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYMORE BITCHFIGHTING OR NAMECALLING IN THIS THREAD. IF IT CONTINUES SUSPENSIONS OR POSSIBLY WORSE WILL BE HANDED OUT.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:43 PM

i think what none of us want to see is the administrators picture anymore..what the heck is that!! perhaps that's the idea...to be scary.

lets be honest here, the biggest instigator on this site forum, in a negative way, is metroguy. others like me might instigate a heated discussion, but it has for the most part always been respectful. metroguy is the one that historically started calling people and their posts stupid just because they might be negative and their opinions might differ from his. nice try on your attempt to be mr. nice guy metro...how very transparent of you.

santacruz, thanks for breaking it down. i do see where you're coming from and i'm a better person for it.

so shades of africa actually has a sign up that says due to gentrification they are closing?! that's pretty damn funny.

i hear that a new italian spot is going in to replace uncle als. should be a cool neighborhood joint so i'm hoping it's really good.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 1:35 AM

Confusion

Yibs and drisee.....I think you guys are now beginning to get people confused.......LA Metroguy and LB Metroguy are two totally different people.....the last post by a metroguy was LB not LA, LB was the one that made the comment about constructive criticism

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:47 AM

wait... it's lb guy metro

I wonder how many different people have been yankin your chains...

I'm glad to hear Uncle Al's will be replaced... although I am sad to see the place go. damn good fried catfish.

Maybe the chinese whatever fastfood restaurant a few doors down will be next.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:04 AM

an interesting view from the district weekly... I had almost forgotten about this project.

“FAUX REAL”: WHAT’S UP WITH OCEAN CENTER?
Will SwaimTue. December 04

We got this email from a reader. Perhaps other readers can help?

“For those that aren’t familiar with the subject of this email, I’m referring to 110 W. Ocean Blvd. It’s the old historic building with flags on top that sits on the SW corner of Pine and Ocean. I have an important concern to share with you about this building.

“Over the last few months I’ve asked various people about this project and still haven’t received a direct answer. I think it’s time the citizens of downtown Long Beach and Long Beach as a whole were given a straight answer.

“For those that aren’t familiar with the current situation, here is an update. The owners of the building have been pushing for an adaptive reuse project (mixed use/boutique hotel) for quite some time. They have run into roadblock after roadblock from the city and at this point are saying that they are no longer interested in pursuing the project at this time.

“So what are the repercussions of that? The owner has now decided to make minor aesthetic improvements to the building to raise the class of the building to a B from a C and sign new leases with its current small business tenants. The owner is asking for a monthly rent increase that will on average double the current rent of office space in the building. That decision is affectively going to drive out many of the existing creative small businesses that have been there, including my company.

“So what’s ironic here is that our city pays money to bring out Richard Florida to speak on behalf of developing and recruiting a creative community. [See this District post on Florida.] But here we are creating a situation that will drive out the few creative businesses that are already here such as designers, engineers and advertising firms. Of course, if the building was developed those businesses would be displaced. But at least we would be able to celebrate a great new addition to one of the most important corners in the downtown.

“So the question is, why is the development of the building being held up and who is behind it? After all it has been approved by the historical heritage commission and most residents are very positive about the potential new project. Most everyone that I’ve talked to points the finger at Suzanne Frick and Jan Ostashay. I know that both are on this email. I don’t want to jump to conclusions with this email but I would like an answer and so would many other people in the community. Can you please explain what has transpired and why this project is stuck in the mud? There are many rumors being spread so perhaps you can use this as an opportunity to address the rumors and the issue as a whole.

“One of the rumors is that some of the aesthetic changes being called for would ruin the historical integrity of the building. To that I say that it’s not a museum, it’s an adaptive reuse. Perhaps you should take a look at the current improvement that are being made to justify the raises rents. It looks like a crappy version of the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, faux real.

“Since Long Beach appreciates the opinion of Richard Florida, I wonder what his opinion on the subject is. Taken from one of his past speeches, in regards to historical architecture Florida says “It’s not about preserving the past. It’s about reusing the past in new and exciting ways. It’s not about creating a museum of a city, It’s about reusing that past in new and exciting ways”.

“I look forward to hearing back from someone in regards to this important issue.”

Tags: , building, creative class, downtown, historic, Long Beach, ocean center, presrevation, redevelopment, richard florida

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisee View Post
i think what none of us want to see is the administrators picture anymore..what the heck is that!! perhaps that's the idea...to be scary.

lets be honest here, the biggest instigator on this site forum, in a negative way, is metroguy. others like me might instigate a heated discussion, but it has for the most part always been respectful. metroguy is the one that historically started calling people and their posts stupid just because they might be negative and their opinions might differ from his. nice try on your attempt to be mr. nice guy metro...how very transparent of you.

santacruz, thanks for breaking it down. i do see where you're coming from and i'm a better person for it.

so shades of africa actually has a sign up that says due to gentrification they are closing?! that's pretty damn funny.

i hear that a new italian spot is going in to replace uncle als. should be a cool neighborhood joint so i'm hoping it's really good.
Ummm, I think we are going to have to revoke your Mensa card, I'm not lbguymetro, I am LAmetroguy. Honestly, you are the first one to use profanity against others, so lets be clear here that you don't just instigate a heated discussion, you instigate attacks and use profane language. I am the only one who even decided to put this thread together. I keep the first page updated with proposed projects for LB, isn't that what this forum about???

You think that by calling me gay is insulting, funny... it doesn't bother me at all. My sexuality is none of your business unless you are interested in me, that is if you are a "man"? As M II A II R II K said, no more name calling... so you are now banned from calling me anymore names!!! From now one, please try to add to this thread instead of just poo pooing it. I have always said, LB isn't perfect, it has a lot of problems. I too get frustrated over projects that don't live up to promises (edgewater on ocean, Broadway and Main Towers, OceanAire, etc.). But there is no reason not to post LB related proposals, right? BTW, I drove by the Avia Pike Hotel site and two big bulldozers were on the site, so it looks like construction is just about to start!!!

Now that you have been tamed by M II A II R II K (even though you don't like his Avatar), I will promise to provide news, renderings, and any other High Rise related project information that I can to this thread, since as you pointed out it is the only thing I'm good at. But you have to promise to not always "shit" all over LB, it isn't the shit hole you make it out ot be. There are postive things about it... I mean you do live here and its by choice, right? And do me a favor, re-read my posts and then read lbguymetro's posts.... we are two different persons, I know you're not a simpleton, so pay attention!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:47 PM

metroguy, lets straighten something out here. i'm not confused about your identity on this site. you have an avatar of the queen mary next to your name and that's how i recognize you. like the other guymetro guy said, he really doesn't post on here much anymore. so there is no confusion on my end.

yes, i do like when you post press releases and keep us up to date. i just don't like when you shoot someone down based upon them expressing an opinion.

so i changed your name around to read metrogay, and you insinuated that yibs and i are butt buddies. I can live with that, touche.

back to the business at hand. i don't like the proposed Avia pike hotel. from what i've seen it doesn't live up the standard of what i would like to see as a boutique hotel in long beach. almost looks like they were trying to have it match up with the bad design styles of the pike...and why would you want to do that??

also, that was very interesing to hear about the ocean center building. they should do something positive with that building. it's a cool building for that corner but it has looked like crap for a long time now due to no upkeep.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 1:02 AM

Wink The acres of books site

Does any one here have any updates on the east village arts exchange project the project site im typing about has the acres of books building the former terry's camera building that was demolished a while ago and parking lots which is next to the Bank of America building on long beach blvd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West