HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 4:27 AM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlpugh
Bank mergers also lead to consolidation of assets in certain areas and the new bank likely will close other branches after the merger is complete, said John Jahera, a professor of finance at Auburn University. The government just wants to prevent over-dominance in any one area, he said.
This is why the mergers in the southeast are likely to stop. You've got a small number of banks dominating now. The interesting thing is that Wells Fargo has been making noise about wanting to get a foothold on the east coast. Merging with a large regional bank like Regions or SunTrust would be the way to do it. Since Wells Fargo doesn't have a presence here, there wouldn't be any problem getting government approval except for some overlap in the midwest (I'm guessing those are old Planters Bank locations).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
Actually, I think that site needs a 10-12 story building.

If Montgomery were to ever get a new tallest, it should go on the block between the RSA tower and City Hall, where the horrible Madison Hotel (or whatever they're calling it now) is located.
I was hoping that the new tallest could be built at the site of One Court Square. Fortunately, Dover Kohl & Partner's also feels that something should be done there too.

Quote:
This is why the mergers in the southeast are likely to stop. You've got a small number of banks dominating now. The interesting thing is that Wells Fargo has been making noise about wanting to get a foothold on the east coast. Merging with a large regional bank like Regions or SunTrust would be the way to do it. Since Wells Fargo doesn't have a presence here, there wouldn't be any problem getting government approval except for some overlap in the midwest (I'm guessing those are old Planters Bank locations).
I certainly hope Wells Fargo doesn't buy their way into the east coast market. They must be stopped at all cost.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 8:25 PM
Witty comment fail

Regions is about big enough now, that it's not a target... Colonial on the other hand..

My idea for One Court Square? After blowing that b@#$^ up, I think that whole block would be great for an arena. Think we can talk Lowder into it?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 8:31 PM
Witty comment fail

Article on Winter Place...

Quote:
Major's mission: Restore Winter Place's glory

By Lisa Horn
Montgomery Advertiser

Peeling velvet wallpaper, massive fireplaces and dust-covered furniture show traces of the former grandeur at Winter Place, tucked in a forgotten corner of Montgomery.

While the interior hearkens to its days as a showplace in one of the city's most affluent neighborhoods, the exterior is another story. The boarded-up windows, chipped paint and dilapidated porches, however, didn't scare off Air Force Maj. Craig Drescher.

Rather, he said, it lured him to learn more about the estate at the corner of Goldthwaite and Mildred streets.

"I drove by and fell in love with Winter Place," said Drescher, who bought the property in January. "I just got taken in."

When he's not flying, the C-130 navigator with the 908th Airlift Wing spends nearly every hour at Winter Place. The property, which consists of two homes connected by an enclosed passageway and servant quarters, was built by Col. Joseph Samuel Prince Winter in 1855.

Before building the estate, Winter, who owned one of the largest iron works in the South, lived in another well-known Montgomery home, now known as the First White House of the Confederacy.

Joseph "Winter" Thorington Jr., a descendant of Col. Winter, remembers some of Winter Place's opulence growing up there in the 1930s and 1940s.

Walking through the rooms with Drescher, Thorington recalls Zelda Fitzgerald visiting his aunt the night before he left to join the Army in World War II. A star on the south home's cupola and candles in the front windows would signal to guests one of Thorington's lavish Christmas parties that he threw after inheriting the estate in the late 1940s.

"It was quite a degree of style up here, no doubt about that," Thorington said. "It was so long ago now that it seems almost hard to remember."

He does remember, however, the spring day in 1965 when civil rights activists, marching from Selma to Montgomery, walked behind the estate on Mobile Street and the event's re-enactment 20 years later.

As part of the sale to Drescher, Thorington will remain at Winter Place, where he has lived for most of his 82 years.

"It had gotten to a state where it needed a whole lot of work," Thorington said. "I had a major overhaul job (done), but it's been many years ago and time has just taken its toll."

Drescher has big plans for the property's full restoration, which include turning parts of the estate into a reception site, creating and leasing apartments and possibly converting the former servants' quarters into an art studio. When the project is complete, he intends parts of the homes to be open for the public to enjoy.

So far, the south home's roof has been sealed, the jungle cleared, a garage rebuilt and a roof put on the old servants' quarters. The north home, however, has much farther to go. Leaves fall through gaping holes in the roof and the floors gave way long ago.

But all is not lost, Drescher said. Two engineers recently confirmed that the building is structurally viable. However, finding the money to replace the roof and continue work on the rest of the mansion is proving to be more difficult. He estimates repair and renovation costs could cost anywhere from $500,000 to possibly $1 million.

"The vast majority of the public thinks that if something is labeled historic, there are these funds available," Drescher said. "But they're extremely limited for a private owner."

The airman is working with an attorney to establish a foundation for those who wish to contribute to the preservation of the estate. In addition to raising funds and fighting the ravages of time, Drescher is facing another battle in the neighborhood that has seen a continual decline since Interstate 85 was built in the 1960s.

"One of the biggest battles I'm fighting is crime," said Drescher, who has had his truck broken into and tools stolen while working on the site.

He and other neighborhood preservationists, including retired Air Force Col. Fred and Dianne Bush, hope that the homes they are restoring will breathe new life into the community. Currently, the couple are restoring six homes in the Cottage Hill and Five Points neighborhoods.

"We've emptied them out and cleaned them up with the hope that this will spur other homeowners to come in and that these crimes will not continue," Bush said. "We know that the inner city can offer so much more than commuting does."

But she, Drescher and other preservationists know that they have a long road ahead.

"Craig has come in and found Winter Place and saw that it was going to disappear if someone didn't get a hold of it," Bush said. "Some people think that we're nuts. And there are days where I wonder, 'Wouldn't our money be better in the stock market?' "

Drescher admits that after seeing Winter Place, friends and colleagues have questioned his sanity. But despite the huge project ahead, Drescher's initial fascination with the property continues to captivate.

"The more I learned," Drescher said, "the more enchanted I became."

He has become a willing victim, he said, of the spell of Winter Place.
I still can't get over the fact that somebody was living here when I took this picture.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 1:59 AM

Quote:
I still can't get over the fact that somebody was living here when I took this picture.

^ Yeah, I though the same thing when I read that this morning too.

...Creepy.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 3:33 PM
Witty comment fail

Article on Riverwalk stadium.

Quote:
Cass Sapir, Filmmaker / Fundraiser Picks Montgomery Biscuits Riverwalk Stadium out of all 189 Major & Minor Parks Visited

MLN Newswire - www.mlntherawfeed.com -

During the spring and summer of the 2006 baseball season, 27-year-old filmmaker Cass Sapir visited all 189 major league and minor league ballparks, making him possibly the first human being to accomplish the feat in a single season. The trip, much of which was completed with his twin brother Tim, raised roughly $30,000 for The Jimmy Fund, a Boston-based charity.

Baseball America's Alan Schwarz interviewed Sapir following the conclusion of his trip. In response to an inquiry of the best ballpark in all of the Minor and Major Leagues, Sapir unhesitatingly named Montgomery Riverwalk Stadium, home of the Montgomery Biscuits.

On Wednesday, Sapir spoke from his home in Providence, RI, about the trip and his favorite of all of baseball's emerald diamonds.

The filmmaker visited Montgomery on Sunday, April 9, the sixth day of a journey that began in Arlington, Texas, and concluded more than five months later. It was an afternoon game and Riverwalk Stadium's first Kids Day of the season. Before 3,523 fans, the Biscuits defeated the Tennessee Smokies, 2-1.

Sapir said that the first thing that struck him was Central Alabama's spring weather.

"It was such a glorious day in early April," Sapir said. "I think it was 85 degrees and sunny.

"It's the same thing when you're younger and go to visit colleges. I think when you're you go and it's pouring rain, you're problably not going to apply to that college, but if it's a beautiful day and there are people out there on the green and they're throwing a frisbee and enjoying themselves, that sticks in your mind. That's not why I selected (Riverwalk Stadium) as my favorite, but that's why it's so memorable, I think."

The Biscuits had just two rainouts during the 2006 season.

With Sapir's trip starting in the South, Riverwalk Stadium was only the fourth Minor League park and sixth overall field he visited. But the impression the stadium made stayed with him for the rest of his journey.

"People were asking me what my favorite stadium was from the second week on, and of course I always expected another stadium to take (Riverwalk Stadium's) place (as my favorite)," he remembered. "And when you ask, 'What's your favorite?', I'd say there are about 25 that someone could name and I'd say, 'OK, I agree.' But Montgomery has the total package. It's everything that's great about Minor League Baseball, just a little bit more."

"In Minor League Baseball, for $5, you're treated like a king," he told Baseball America. "It's the last great bastion of family entertainment. You can bring your family, bring your kids, and feel safe there. Good food, cheap beer, hanging out and watching the game. Pretty simple."

Sapir's initial impression of the eventual Southern League Champions came even before he set foot in the capital.

“I love the name (Biscuits), first off," he said. "I think it’s one of the top five names in all of baseball."

In addition, Sapir was impressed with the inexpensive parking and the ballpark's unique and beautiful setting.

“It’s built into an old train (shed), which I loved. I loved the integration of something that could be an eyesore in a city and turning it completely around into sort of the heart of the city.”

"It’s a stadium that’s built right downtown. And there’s a big sort of debate: do you build these brand new stadiums in the heart of downtown or do you stick them out on an exit somewhere off the interstate somewhere in the suburbs? And I’m thankful that many of the stadiums are moving back downtown and being sort of the heart of a renaissance of the city.

Having seen every park in baseball, Cass Sapir has had an opportunity to see a ballpark spur city development in many different cities. He saw Montgomery as a perfect example of that development.

"I’ve seen it in so many places, and Montgomery does it very well," he said. "(The ballpark) is actually is a perfect jewel in the middle of a city that has so many things going for it. I didn’t know anything about Montgomery when I went there. I didn’t even know it was the capital of the (Confederacy). And of course there’s so much rich history from all different eras in our country. So you go to the game and you can go see the capitol, you can go wherever around the city. I was only there for 24 hours, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Sapir was also charmed by the ballpark's design.

“The architecture is amazing," he said. "The sections are very short. They’re not sloped up really high, they’re not really long. They’re very small sections and it gives it a truly intimate feel, like something you’d see at a Single-A or rookie league park."

Riverwalk Stadium was designed by HOK+Sport, the same Kansas City-based firm responsible for designing Oriole Park at Camden Yards, SBC Park in San Francisco, Jacobs Field in Cleveland and many others.

"The concourse goes all the way around the field, which is such a great touch, and you’ll only see it in the brand new stadiums, but with this concourse, for a general admission ticket, you can hang out in left field, you can sit on the berm in right field or along the foul line, or you could grab a seat for a couple of extra dollars.”

However, the location, architecture, team name and city only take a ballpark experience so far. There was one last intangible that Sapir saw in Montgomery.

“The final reason that (I liked Riverwalk Stadium) ... is the friendliness of the staff and the other fans, on which you really can’t put a cost. When people go around the country and rate the ballparks, they never really list this intangible, which is how friendly is the experience and how warm is it and how welcome do you feel? And that’s something that Montgomery did. Some other parks did too, but Montgomery did it to its fullest extent.”

The people were so warm, in fact, that they provide a perfect example of how a grat experience can color a memory and make it ever more pleasant. Soon, the mind remembers the whole experience as perfect.

The proof is in the pudding. Official game reports from that day, April 9, 2006, have the gametime temperature listed at 64 degrees.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 9:39 PM
Gump Watcher

Quote:
Regions is about big enough now, that it's not a target... Colonial on the other hand..

My idea for One Court Square? After blowing that b@#$^ up, I think that whole block would be great for an arena. Think we can talk Lowder into it?
Ok... I work for the tehnology department of Regions, which is housed in the old Union Bank tower, and everything is being moved to B'ham. The only thing left will be the branches and some of mortgage, maybe...

As for Colonial, just go out to East Chase and look across I-85. That is their new headquarters.

Rumor mill says that Wells Fargo, Bank of America, or a little known bank out of the Carolina's call BB&T, are the next candidates for the final Regions merger.

As stated before, all of this in the next 24-36 months...

Last edited by kevinlpugh; Oct 30, 2006 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 10:25 PM
Witty comment fail

we knew Colonial is out there... I was just talking about mergers...

and know that I'm not talking to you directly...

thanks, Regions/First Alabama/First National, for your corporate stewardship in your original home cities... not.

Man, downtown takes 1 step foward and 2 back... we get the ball rolling on revitalization, and the two corporate centers up and leave... nice.

<- bitter

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
Peace and Pizza

Someone should make sure that Emory "baseball is the devil" Folmar gets a copy of the article about Riverwalk Stadium. Just think, if we was still mayor there would be no minor league baseball in Montgomery.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Article on Riverwalk stadium.

Great article! It's interesting to see how others outside of the city view the stadium and downtown developments from an unbiased standpoint.

BTW, I rode by Court Square the other day and saw what seemed to be the old trolley rails laying in sections around the construction site. Could they be about to use these for the square? It would be cool, but at the same time, the city may feel that it will be better to use sleeker, more modern rails...
...I don't know...just thinking aloud.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubieTurtle
Someone should make sure that Emory "baseball is the devil" Folmar gets a copy of the article about Riverwalk Stadium. Just think, if we was still mayor there would be no minor league baseball in Montgomery.

Good point. He's probably drinking away the alcohol inside the ABC warehouse he supervises just to convince himself that it's all only a dream.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 9:47 PM
Witty comment fail

Dover Kohl page updated with some of the proposals.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 6:16 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Sky's the limit for new-look airport

By David Irvin
Montgomery Advertiser

The Montgomery Airport Authority will showcase the final piece of its $35 million renovation project today -- a 65,000-square-foot addition to the terminal that, according to one developer, will make business recruitment to the area much easier.

Conceived seven years ago, the phase three addition to the airport doubles the size of the terminal and adds several aesthetic elements designed to provide comfort to fliers.

In a rotunda area upstairs, travelers sit below a simulated sky -- complete with constellations and shooting stars -- and can eat sub sandwiches among Greco-Roman columns.

"It was something we thought would be a nice touch for people waiting to board," said Mark Wnuk, the executive assistant at the airport authority.

Wnuk explained that the project was financed with no city or state tax dollars. Some of the money came from a federal appropriation snagged by U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Tuscaloosa, and some came from the federal Airport Improvement Program.

The idea for the massive makeover came a few years before Hyundai announced it would bring its first North American automotive plant to Montgomery.

Worried about the message the airport sent to their out-of-town contacts, officials at the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce entered discussions with the airport authority about what could be done to revamp the aging airport, which hadn't had a renovation since the early 1970s.

"We really felt that it was very important that the airport project the kind of image that we wanted to project," said Ellen McNair, the vice president of corporate development for the chamber. "You feel so much more comfortable flying someone into Montgomery (now)."

Wnuk said the newly designed airport has 300 additional parking spaces and newly resurfaced roads. The baggage area used by the airlines was expanded, and the new terminal area can facilitate any size airplane.

The security gate has been moved upstairs, where fliers can track their flights on high-tech flatscreen monitors.

The renovations alone won't kick-start the increase in air routes from the airport, Wnuk admits. He said the highly competitive environment that the airlines are operating in makes it essential for airports to generate passengers.

"The increased use ... will be the engine that will allow us to go to the airlines and request additional service," he said. "Airlines really aren't concerned about what they pull up to," Wnuk said, they just want low landing fees and high passenger volume.

The open house for the final stage of the project is today from 11 a.m. to noon at the airport. Visitors can park for free in the short-term parking lot.

Shelby is expected to speak at the event.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 6:19 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Doors open at hhgregg

By Bob Lowry
Montgomery Advertiser

Managers and employees of hhgregg gave a "Hey, Montgomery" shoutout Thursday afternoon when they opened the doors to about 400 shoppers at the chain's new appliance and consumer electronics store in the Capital City.

Customers lined up outside the store with yellow hhgregg shopping carts while a solo guitarist entertained them. After a ribbon-cutting ceremony, they streamed into the 30,000-square-foot store at 2645 East Blvd.

Long checkout lines immediately formed, with many shoppers saying they were getting an early jump on Christmas shopping because of the opening day specials. Broksonic televisions stacked at the front of the store were priced at $69.97 for 19-inch models and $189.97 for 27-inch versions.

"I came down here for Christmas presents and a small DVD player for a gift -- $19, you can't beat that," said Ulysses White of Tuskegee. White also was interested in a 13-inch TV for his car that was selling for $39.97.

Gayle Loyd, 55, of Montgomery toured the new store with her husband.

"We're just basically here to see the grand opening and do some price comparisons with the holiday season coming up," she said.

Loyd said she checked the store's prices in an advertising flier Thursday morning and was impressed. "I think they'll do well here," she said. "I think that's why there are so many people here."

The Indianapolis-based appliance and consumer electronics chain jumped into competition in the tri-county area against much larger national competitors such as Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart.

Mike Kerlik of Atlanta, vice president of sales and store operations for hhgregg's Southern Division, said his company successfully competes against major competitors because of customer service.

"We're a value-added retailer," he said. "Everybody has prices. We guarantee the lowest price as well, but we deliver on the service, both on the front end and the back end. We do installations, we do deliveries, we come to your house. We give white-glove service."

The Montgomery store is configured about two-thirds with television, home video and audio systems. The rest is appliances and Serta bedding products.

The company has a store in Huntsville and soon will open a third Alabama location in Birmingham, said Kerlik.

Managers and sales associates from other hhgregg stores were brought in to assist in the grand opening of the Montgomery store, which will be managed by Don Barnes from hhgregg's Nashville, Tenn., store.

Kerlik said the store has hired about 50 employees, all from the Montgomery area.

The chain is the nation's seventh-largest appliance retailer and the 24th-largest consumer electronics company.

The Montgomery store is the 73rd location in the chain, which has stores in eight states including Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

The company also sells merchandise, in partnership with GEOnlineService.com, from its Web site at http://www.hhgregg.com.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 8:35 PM
Witty comment fail

I went by the HH Gregg today, it's a nice store. and it was frekin' packed too.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 5:04 PM

New to Board

Hello all:

I'm new to the board and have a few questions. I've lived in Montgomery all of my 29 years and I'm excited about where it's headed.

1. How many floors is the convetion center hotel up to? Could someone post some recent pics? Also, does anyone know of any other high rises besides the hotel and the RSA that are coming soon?

2. My biggest pet peeve about Montgomery is its small airport. Although the renovations look great, it's still a tiny airport. Huntsville is the same size or smaller than Montgomery and has a much bigger airport. Has anyone heard anything about a phase IV for the airport improvement? Has anyone heard any rumors about new airlines or flights? We got federal funding over a year ago to add two daily flights to Detroit on Northwest but nothing has happened.

3. I know Jim Wilson & Associates is about to start East Chase Market Center at East Chase. I saw on their website that it will have Old Navy and Dick's Sporting Goods. The new Lowe's is confirmed as going next to the new Walmart on Chantilly. Does anyone know of any other stores coming to East Chase or East Montgomery? Is Costco going to be in East Chase?

Sorry that I have so many questions. Thanks in advance for your reponses.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 5:55 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatrippe
Hello all:

I'm new to the board and have a few questions. I've lived in Montgomery all of my 29 years and I'm excited about where it's headed.
Welcome, glad to have you with us.

Quote:
1. How many floors is the convetion center hotel up to? Could someone post some recent pics? Also, does anyone know of any other high rises besides the hotel and the RSA that are coming soon?
They've finished the floor of 12, and are pouring the posts for the roof. I don't think we'll see any highrises anytime soon (although both the new county jail and the RSA Headquarters are under construction).

Quote:
2. My biggest pet peeve about Montgomery is its small airport. Although the renovations look great, it's still a tiny airport. Huntsville is the same size or smaller than Montgomery and has a much bigger airport. Has anyone heard anything about a phase IV for the airport improvement? Has anyone heard any rumors about new airlines or flights? We got federal funding over a year ago to add two daily flights to Detroit on Northwest but nothing has happened.
Given the lack of passengers, I don't think it will be expanded anytime soon. Montgomery's airport is in a bad spot for growth, with a regional a little over an hour away in Bham, and an international Hub less than 3 hours away in ATL. For alot, it's easier to drive than to try to catch connectors.

Quote:
3. I know Jim Wilson & Associates is about to start East Chase Market Center at East Chase. I saw on their website that it will have Old Navy and Dick's Sporting Goods. The new Lowe's is confirmed as going next to the new Walmart on Chantilly. Does anyone know of any other stores coming to East Chase or East Montgomery? Is Costco going to be in East Chase?
I think we have had confirmation that Costco is coming to East Chase.

Quote:
Sorry that I have so many questions. Thanks in advance for your reponses.
Not a problem, and again, thanks for joining us.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 7:42 PM

Thanks for the response. Our airport needs to do a better job of attracting passengers. I'd rather fly out of MGM instead of ATL or B'ham. However, there's just not many flights.

How tall is the new county jail going to be? I haven't heard about that one. The RSA is 9 stories, right?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 9:16 PM
Gump Watcher

I hope to have more pics by the end of the week... My camera's on the fritz....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 10:28 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlpugh
I hope to have more pics by the end of the week... My camera's on the fritz....
can you get a pic of the fire escape map/blueprint inside your building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast