HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 11:43 PM

Vancouver: Post-Riot Times

I should start off by saying that with the exception of my leading photo, there are NO riot photos in this thread. I was not down there, thankfully, and there's enough of that online. What the purpose of this impromptu thread is, is to show how Vancouver has reacted since that horrible night. The good in Vancouver. There has been massive outrage towards what happened and people are demanding justice for ALL those responsible. And that seems to be happening thanks to the Internet and social media. Within hours of the riot, there was already a Facebook group to 'out' those responsible and another to round up volunteers to help clean up.
Vancouver will permanently have a black mark in its history but I think the goodness that I have seen since the days of the riot and how it has been handling itself since, will truly define the city. Not the ugliness that ensued that night.
I still think Vancouver is awesome

Taken from my balcony. I could hear the noise downtown and there were multiple helicopters flying overhead. The smoke is from a few car fires, including two police cars:

166/365 - Please Don't Hate Vancouver by entheos_fog, on Flickr

The Bay store downtown was the hardest hit business. People began writing on the plywood that replaced the windows and the messages of support for not only The Bay but everyone else affected. It has been dubbed The Great Wall of Vancouver:

Cleanup crews:

The use of social media and the internet has resulted in many rioters being identified and now facing charges. It also helped recognize the good citizens who came out to help clean up the day after:

I believe a car was set on fire in this parkade, hence the damage:

This London Drugs department store reportedly suffered a $1 million hit the night of the riot:

An international embarrassment for Vancouver:

Damaged storefronts:

Any place there was plywood, something was written on it. And not just on The Bay store, but blocks away where the riot spread, too, like at this Chapters store:

A lot of merchandise was looted during the riot:

The Hudson Bay store held a free pancake breakfast on the Saturday after the riot to say thanks for the volunteer clean up crews that came out and for the outpouring of support from outraged Vancouverites who came to sign The Great Wall:

The pancakes were quite tasty, too!

The Wall has been a very busy place the past few days:

The riot is what everyone is talking about, probably including these two:

Here's a link to a wonderful photographer who took pictures of the cleanup crews:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maurice...7626976892174/

This Vancouver Police cruiser was parked on Granville street downtown about 30 hours after the riot. The officer was responding to a routine call. When he came back to his car, there were a few sticky notes saying thanks for the job they did the night of the riots. He decided to leave the car there and in a matter of hours it was completely covered with notes of thanks. The car was moved to police headquarters, which is where I took this, and more people added notes, including myself:

Thanks for stopping by.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 12:10 AM

good to see that. i think people understand that it's always a few idiots that do things like this and it is not indicitive of the city as a whole. you have a gorgeous city and a population that i have heard only positive things about. i cant wait for the opportunity to visit your town!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
good to see that. i think people understand that it's always a few idiots that do things like this and it is not indicitive of the city as a whole. you have a gorgeous city and a population that i have heard only positive things about. i cant wait for the opportunity to visit your town!

Thank you for the gracious comment. I think that the silver lining in this dark cloud might be that it galvanizes civic pride and responsibility more than ever.

At any rate, welcome. July and August are the best for escaping the humid East Coast heat in Boston.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

I thought I was hearing that Boston was rioting after the game, just flippin' a few cars dirty side up, and I just kind of smirked like an asshole (I was at the bar). I was kind of surprised when I heard that the rioting was in Vancouver. I hope I don't come off crass. In the same way that I didn't think the riots were indicative of Boston, I don't think that is indicative of Vancouver, either.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:55 AM
Community Guy

Good to see after such a douche bag of a situation.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:09 AM
Registirred User

wow great pics. Love what they did to the police car.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:10 AM
Corporate logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
i think people understand that it's always a few idiots that do things like this and it is not indicitive of the city as a whole.
Tell me about it. Philadelphia's sports fans often gets tarnished by the actions of a few idiots. We're still trying to live down an incident that happened in the '60s! We had some minor riotous actions when the Phillies won the World Series in '08, but Vancouver, you take the cake. I'm sure everything will be back in order in no time, but wow.

Thanks for sharing the stunning "aftermath" pics.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:55 AM

Thanks for posting these pictures. I believe it shows the true heart & soul of your beautiful city. Not once did I think the rioting was indicative of Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 3:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice one, Entheosfog. I'm still really upset by what went down. The amount of destruction is one thing, but the amount of violence that happened is another.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:56 AM

The beauty of the city of Vancouver is surpassed by its citizens. After the act of a few complete a-holes, what a show of class. I'd be proud as hell if I was from Vancouver! I hope there will be some justice out of all this.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 6:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nicely done, etheosfog, and i'll just add one more, my only one, which I took while driving by.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I thought I was hearing that Boston was rioting after the game, just flippin' a few cars dirty side up, and I just kind of smirked like an asshole (I was at the bar). I was kind of surprised when I heard that the rioting was in Vancouver. I hope I don't come off crass. In the same way that I didn't think the riots were indicative of Boston, I don't think that is indicative of Vancouver, either.
um, not sure why you think there are big riots in Boston after these type of events ............there are always some issues like any other city. i believe what happens here is below the norm ..........in fact there were 1 million people at the Bruins rolling rally on saturday and there were, count 'em, NINE arrests, yes, NINE out of 1 million people

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:24 AM
So very tired...

Nice work. Is that a print of your shot in the third pic of the wall?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Nice one, Entheosfog. I'm still really upset by what went down. The amount of destruction is one thing, but the amount of violence that happened is another.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
I agree 100%

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:38 AM

Thanks very much for the comments everyone. I wish I didn't have to work the day after, as I would have been out there with a trashbag in one hand, camera in the other

The city announced today that the boards on The Bay store will be put into storage and at a later date, a decision will be made where to display them permanently. There is a large public desire for this to be displayed in the public realm as it is already an important part of the city's history, and the outpouring of support is something Vancouverites should never forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Urban View Post
Wow someone should of told those idiots not to write ON the actual police car
hehe that'll buff right out

And I never did say congrats to the Bruins and to Boston, the best team won and they played a hell of series.
A kinda cute joke that made the rounds the day after in Vancouver:
"They should have got Tim Thomas (Bruins amazing goaltender) to come out to the riot after the game because he stops everything." whacka whacka...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post

And I never did say congrats to the Bruins and to Boston, the best team won and they played a hell of series.
It should be said that both teams played a hell of a series.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:22 PM

This is great to see!

As usual, a few morons spoil it for everyone and give a great city a bad name. The day(s) after is the real Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:32 AM

Thanks for that, Expat and thanks for the comment DLLB.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:00 AM

Awesome set of pictures.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:16 AM
furified freestyle

great stuff, man. really great stuff.

(and i was rooting for the canucks.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos