HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 11:19 PM

True North Square Reaches New Heights

Quote:
True North Square Reaches New Heights
By Krista Sinaisky | Published: December 15, 2017

True North Square has reached a significant construction milestone with the official topping-off of 242 Hargrave, the development’s mixed-use retail and office tower. As of December 2017, the tower has reached its final height of 17 storeys.
http://www.truenorthsquare.com/news/...s-new-heights/

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 11:22 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Provencher does need a hotel.
The lot that's been boarded forever on the north side or the Garage Cafe parking lot would be fantastic locations for a medium-size hotel. I think a mid-range or upscale hotel in St. B would do VERY well. "Stay in Winnipeg's French Quarter" – there's lots of good shopping and food, and you're walk over the Esplanade away from The Forks/downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 5:22 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So it seems the camera feed hasn't been updated for a few days now. Are they moving the camera again?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 5:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
So it seems the camera feed hasn't been updated for a few days now. Are they moving the camera again?
or the cable came unpluged

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The lot that's been boarded forever on the north side or the Garage Cafe parking lot would be fantastic locations for a medium-size hotel. I think a mid-range or upscale hotel in St. B would do VERY well. "Stay in Winnipeg's French Quarter" – there's lots of good shopping and food, and you're walk over the Esplanade away from The Forks/downtown.
It would have to be *very* close to the esplanade. St-B is a real tourist disappointment. It's not a bad neighbourhood, but the problem of selling it as "Winnipeg's French Quarter" is that anyone hearing that phrase imagines this:

And then gets this:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:59 PM

^ That's why Winnipeg's tourism powers-that-be actively stopped describing it as the "French Quarter", which is something they were doing for a while a decade or so ago. I recall reading something to the effect that it created false expectations that were inevitably met with disappointment.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:28 PM

As long as Entreprise Riel exists, St-B will never realize its potential. I've heard first hand of businesses, developers & amazing plans for Provencher & old St. B killed by these bozos spanning decades now. Many developments the public & private sector would have embraced. If you've ever wondered why nothing gets built on Provencher or projects get cancelled... They are the worse possible kind of red tape.

Last edited by pegcityfan; Dec 19, 2017 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
As long as Entreprise Riel exists, St-B will never realize its potential. I've heard first hand of businesses, developers & amazing plans for Provencher & old St. B bullied & killed by these bozos spanning decades now. Many developments the public & private sector would have embraced. If you've ever wondered why nothing gets built on Provencher or projects get cancelled... They are the worse possible kind of red tape.
The sense I get is that the francophone community prefers no development to "outsider-driven" development. And they are organized enough to support that unfortunate perspective.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
The sense I get is that the francophone community prefers no development to "outsider-driven" development. And they are organized enough to support that unfortunate perspective.
Well, I guess they're getting their wish

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't personally heard anything like that but maybe, I wouldn't doubt it. . Just not from what I've heard in my circles (I was born, raised and schooled in St.B all in french). Problem I see lies with ER . Every project I know of was by St. B residents (all Franco-Manitobains).

Last edited by pegcityfan; Dec 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:12 AM

I don't think Enterprise Riel is the issue, I think it's Ols StB residents association. They were the ones restricting height on buildings on Provencher. Thankfull Coun Allard spearheaded that getting changed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Whenever I get caught up in potential, I remember: this is Winnipeg, and snap out of it. The city will never have such a fabulous street as long as all of us here are alive.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:24 AM

What is Enterprise Riel and what do they do exactly? I know all the issues with residents there, but don't know about ER.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I don't think Enterprise Riel is the issue, I think it's Ols StB residents association. They were the ones restricting height on buildings on Provencher. Thankfull Coun Allard spearheaded that getting changed.
I didn't hear any that personally. Building developments & redevelopments i heard of that got killed because ER dicated what/who could go into buildings, amount of space earmarked for what ER wanted as tenants. And i'm not talking storefront like restrictions. They basically render plans unfeasible from a business standpoint. Projects Vandal gave his support & more.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:44 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I have never heard of Enterprise Riel until today. It almost sounds like a mafia of some sort, without it sounding like one.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I have never heard of Enterprise Riel until today. It almost sounds like a mafia of some sort, without it sounding like one.
Not that extreme lol. CentureVenture-ish but not really. They do similar things but no real master plan that I know of. I think they have the ability to act as a red tape organisation but with way too much control & strange tastes/opinions.

Last edited by pegcityfan; Dec 19, 2017 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:03 AM
Source?

Quote:
I've worked in StB (and I've worked WITH, *not for*, Enterprise Riel) and this is pretty much 100% true. It's cancerous.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
Not that extreme lol. CentureVenture-ish but not really. They do similar things but no real master plan that I know of. I think they have the ability to act as a red tape organisation but with way too much control & strange tastes/opinions.
they also own buildings in need of development, for example the one on the north east corner of Marion and Tache. I believe they own the vacant lot on Provencher beside the Dwarf no cachette and the building where that restaurant leases space. I think trying to partner with them would not be easy. it seems like they are prepared to sit on properties forever. they are supposed to facilitate community planning and to bring forward development projects.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:04 PM

At some point could the city not just expropriate that empty boarded up lot? There's a million grounds to do so – might piss some people off, but at this point does that matter, it's a hinderance to the city, and the area. I can't imagine the way that lot is closed off is even legal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan