HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:41 PM

Brickell City Centre: The Mall Of The Future?

Brickell City Centre: The Mall Of The Future?

October 17, 2017

Read More: http://www.moderncities.com/article/...-of-the-future

Quote:

Just recent as June 2017, a CNN article proclaimed malls are doomed, predicting 25% will be gone in 5 years due to the increased popularity of online retailing. However, not everyone is convinced. In that very same article, Tom McGee, CEO of the International Center of Shopping Centers was of the opinion that there's still a place for malls.

- McGee may have a point. Miami's Brickell City Centre represents the evolution of the shopping mall as a mixed-use social gathering place. Developed by Swire Properties, Inc., the Brickell City Centre is a $1.05 billion mixed-use development strategically orcastrated to become a distinct lifestyle destination in Miami's Brickell financial district. At it's heart, is a 500,000 square foot, four level mall that may ultimately change the way new malls are designed and existing malls are retrofitted in the future. Opening its doors in late 2016, Brickell City Centre is everything your traditional shopping mall isn't.

- As retail trends have undergone major shifts, developers are looking to maximize shopper’s experiences. Some traditional retailers, such as Macy’s, are even seeking to sell out-parcels to restaurants or car washes and convert portions of existing store space to office uses. With this in mind, Brickell City Centre is a modern example of not placing all your eggs in the same retail basket. Consisting of 120 spaces covering 500,000 square foot, the open air shopping mall contains a mix of luxury, international and traditional retailers, plus a handful of restaurants. In addition, the site includes 260,000 square feet of office space, 780 condominiums, 263 hotel rooms and 89 serviced apartments.

- For decades, large surface parking lots were considered major assets for shopping centers across the country. Now the idea of dedicating large amounts of acreage to non-revenue producing parking lots is being viewed as poor utilization of real estate holdings. Recently, REIT Kimco Realty executives estimated that 75 percent of the actual land space on its properties is occupied by parking lots, while retail accounts for 25 percent. As a result, the REIT is seeking to encourage more live/work/play projects on its properties. Figuring out how to maximize space isn't a problem at Brickell City Centre. At full buildout, the entire 9.1 acre development will contain 5.4 million square feet of office, residential, hotel, retail and entertainment space above its underground 2,600-space parking garage.

- As the face of retail evolves, tremendous opportunity exists for the implementation of out-of-the-box concepts and creative retail strategies. This is especially important as traditional department stores like Sears, JCPenney and Macy's continue to shutter hundreds of stores, sending the malls they anchor into a downward spiral. In order to innovate and improve the shopping experience, retailers and landlords are now blurring the lines between experience, retail and restaurants. According to Phillips Edison, a fully integrated real estate firm with a national platform of grocery-anchored shopping centers, by 2020, it is expected that there will be 200 Food Halls in the U.S., which is more than double the number we have today.

- Brickell City Centre is an example of a mall that will be anchored by two food halls, as opposed to multiple traditional department stores. On the north end of the shopping center, La Centrale, will be a three-story, 38,000 square foot italian food hall when it opens by the end of the year. At the mall's west end, Saks Fifth Avenue is in the process of adding the 17,630 square foot Casa Tua Cucina Northern Italian food hall on its first floor. The mall's other anchor is Mexico-based CMX. Making its U.S. debut, CMX is a ten screen luxury movie cinema offering the crème de la crème of surround sound and hi-def screens, plush kick-back seating, waiter service, and delish gourmet treats courtesy of Biko chef Mikel Alonso.

- Brickell City Centre is a shopping center covering three full city blocks that is also integrated to fit with the existing urban street grid. Structurally, it is also designed to embrace South Florida's tropical climate. Here, the open air mall includes an environmentally sophisticated Climate Ribbon allowing shoppers the ability to walk in comfort. The Climate Ribbon is a 150,000-square-foot overhang of steel, glass and fabric that shields shoppers from the weather and softens the sunlight. Through the use of computer models, it takes advantage of its location by utilizing Miami's breeze to cool the center's esplanade. It also captures rainwater for use in irrigation of its natural landscape.

- The world is quickly becoming a place where being multimodal friendly is a must among metropolitan areas seeking to remain economically competitive in the 21st century. When it comes to access, being located adjacent to transit lines is becoming just as important as being next to interstate highway interchanges. With that in mind, one could argue that Brickell City Centre is a great example of infill transit oriented development. Here, a Miami Metromover station anchors the mall's east end. As the city continues to rapidly develop with infill, Brickell City Centre will continue to position itself as a place that's easily accessible with or without the use of a car.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 9:29 PM

I read the article, I've been to this mall, and I still don't understand what they're talking about.

City Centre is a nice, new, urban mall. It has a department store, movie theater, food court, shops, and restaurants. How is this groundbreaking or unique?

The only things that were somewhat unique were free parking, extremely rare in an urban mall, and a designated Uber pickup. Besides that, it looks like basically every other urban mall built over the last 20 years. Oh, and it's Miami, so most of the shoppers appear to be visitors from South America, given the Argentine and Brazilian accents.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I read the article, I've been to this mall, and I still don't understand what they're talking about.

City Centre is a nice, new, urban mall. It has a department store, movie theater, food court, shops, and restaurants. How is this groundbreaking or unique?

The only things that were somewhat unique were free parking, extremely rare in an urban mall, and a designated Uber pickup. Besides that, it looks like basically every other urban mall built over the last 20 years. Oh, and it's Miami, so most of the shoppers appear to be visitors from South America, given the Argentine and Brazilian accents.
As someone who also has been to BCC, I'd like to add that it's usually a ghost town and most locals can't afford to shop there. I think from an urban design perspective it could be better too because most of the activity is on the internal part of the shopping center and it isn't all that engaging for the pedestrian at street level.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:00 AM
The New Republic

There are already malls like this all over the place.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:37 AM

Brickell City Centre is a disaster, overpriced, cheap and always a ghost town. Nothing unique about it, for example, Complex Desjardins in Montreal, shops, restaurants, hotel, office, underground connection, built in 1976. BCC tried, and well, it's so bland.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 6:06 PM

I’ve never been to a mall with no huge parking lot. Are you sure that’s a mall lol
I should say suburban mall. Downtown malls are way smaller then malls like this

Nm I thought it was a mall in the suburbs. I should have googled it.
I’d love to see a suburban mall with good transit and not a big parking lot.

Last edited by dubu; Nov 5, 2017 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
social gathering place. Developed by Swire Properties, Inc., the Brickell City Centre is a $1.05 billion mixed-use development strategically orcastrated to become a distinct lifestyle destination in Miami's Brickell financial district.
Something tells me the writer spends too much time at Seaquarium or such.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
As someone who also has been to BCC, I'd like to add that it's usually a ghost town and most locals can't afford to shop there. I think from an urban design perspective it could be better too because most of the activity is on the internal part of the shopping center and it isn't all that engaging for the pedestrian at street level.
Which is a shame in Miami given the climate, where a cool indoor/outdoor layout could work well.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:37 AM

As others have said this isn't a new idea for example Boston has two malls that are connected to each other in the city center with the Shops at the Prudential Center and Copley Place Mall which are anything but new with the initial outdoor shopping arcade at the Prudential Center opening in the mid 1960's and the Copley Place Mall opening in 1983. The two complexes combined contain 4 hotels, 5 office buildings, 7 residential buildings, and the Hynes Convention Center. This design can work well and can even engage pedestrians which the one in Boston does to a much greater degree than the Miami example although the Copley Place Mall portion in particular could use some improvement. The complex also provides indoor connects to the green line, orange line, commuter rail and Amtrak through indoor connections to the Prudential Center Green Line Stop and Back Bay Station which is set to be expanded with more shops, residences and offices that are accessible to the rest of the complex through a tunnel under Dartmouth Street.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:29 AM

Isn't this just like an amped up or equal version of the Mall of America in Minnesota?

It's nice and all don't get me wrong. I was just observing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 10:20 AM

Well this thread became a bit of a pile on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisAccution View Post
Isn't this just like an amped up or equal version of the Mall of America in Minnesota?

I'm sure it's better than Mall of America. Mall of America is in a sprawling exurb, surrounded by parking lots, with below average actual shopping (it's just a collection of typical mall chain stores, albeit all of them).

http://m.mallofamerica.com/upload/MO...y_Fall2017.pdf

There is virtually no high end shopping, and the food options are pathetic (Shake Shack is basically the only thing that's actually edible). It's basically an enormous B mall with a lot of retailers that are typically located in strip malls added in.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:25 PM

I guess the main difference they were trying to point out is that they chose to forego the traditional anchor retail (Macy's for example) and went with Italian Food halls instead.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 6:00 PM

Incidentally, I learned not too long ago that the Mall of America isn't even the largest shopping mall in the US anymore.

That title now goes to the King of Prussia Mall, wherever that is. Such an odd name.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

King of Prussia is just outside Philadelphia.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 6:33 PM

It's an odd name, but it's the name of the town not just the shopping mall.

At least that one has some good shopping.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisAccution View Post

Sounds like you are thinking of the American Dream mall planned to go up on the suburban outskirts of Miami which will be a Mall of the America type mall with amusement park rides, a water park and ski mountain and stuff. Brickell CityCentre is just a normal downtown pseudo outdoor mall.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:55 PM
Pay it Forward

What's so groundbreaking about that?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:04 PM

I mean, these entertainment/shopping destinations like Mall of America are fairly interesting as cultural artifacts... but that should not be construed as a positive.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

mall of america is home to 5 roller coasters... that should be construed as a positive.

the aquarium in the basement is pretty cool too.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:58 PM
Never Dell

Heh heh. You went to a suburban mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions