HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I don't think any of this info has been posted but it looks like Related Midwest's site has been updated. Also, if that newer design that we saw in the video is indeed the current design then it wasn't designed by SCB. According to the info on Related's site, the architect is Handel & Associates and there will be a total of 506 apartments consisting of studios, 1,2 and 3 bedrooms. completion date is 2014.
Sorry this is so out of order, but I was looking for the info you allude to, could you post it because I can't seem to find it...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
Sorry this is so out of order, but I was looking for the info you allude to, could you post it because I can't seem to find it...
From Related Midwest's website (http://www.relatedmidwest.com/develo...n-progress.php)...

Quote:
111 WEST WACKER DRIVE
Chicago, Illinois

Situated in the heart of downtown between River North and the Loop, 111 West Wacker Drive represents one of the last prime development sites on the Chicago River. Originally conceived to be a 90-story hotel and luxury condominium tower, Related Midwest took control of the property in the Summer of 2011. One of the last remaining signs of the real estate market downturn, the 26 story concrete structure has been halted since 2008. Related Midwest will redevelop the structure into a 506 unit luxury rental tower with a signature ground floor retail opportunity. Offering a range of unit sizes from studios to 3 bedroom penthouses, interior finishes will have a clean, modern aesthetic. It’s location will lend stunning views of the river and downtown skyline.

Anticipated Completion Date: 2014
Architect: Handel & Associates
Architect of Record: Epstein
Interior Designer: Kara Mann Design
Also looking at Handel's website (http://handelarch.com/projects.html), they do not list any projects completed in Chicago at all, much less any rendering for this project, so, perhaps, the final design is still up in the air.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:10 PM

With an estimated completion date of 2014 things should get going soon. Exciting stuff. Can't wait to see the real design.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:52 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Some of those alternatives are boring and some are straight out of Dubai or Guangzhou, but the lower left one is gorgeous.
That one looks like a hip guy wearing a one-button jacket. For me I preferred the lower middle one, which looks like a woman wearing a fashionable dress.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:33 PM

Does anyone like the top left one ?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:23 PM

From Architects Newspaper via Bloomberg News:

Quote:
"One eleven West Wacker Drive is an incredibly prominent location in Chicago. In fact, the architectural boat tour starts at this location,” said Related Midwest president and CEO, Curt Bailey. “We recognize the significance of the location and are designing a building befitting its importance. It’ll be an incredible addition to the Chicago skyline."
(Does anyone remember if this is a quote from that video interview that we saw earlier?)

Here is to hoping the design that we saw earlier doesn't actually get built and that Related stays true to the above statement.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:27 PM

Sigh....

Only recent activity for 111 W. Wacker in the Chicago Building Data Warehouse is a
permit for window washing scaffold (incorrectly assigned to this bldg - probably 111 S. Wacker) and another court date for a building code violation.

Wonder if they are still having trouble getting financing....

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:04 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Here is to hoping the design that we saw earlier doesn't actually get built and that Related stays true to the above statement.
Reilly sent out an email this morning with a photo of the building identical to the one in the video, saying they're filing to amend the PD and remove some of the obligations that came with the higher FAR of the original design. Since that included some contribution toward the riverwalk, I think the city has lost all around on this debacle. Mediocre architecture, no donation toward the Riverwalk, and had to endure this hulk for 4 years.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ great info, so we have good height info now: 630' tall / 59 floors.

i like it better than the original waterview design, but not nearly as much as that wicked and wonky cantilever plan. oh well. it's not a bad design, the situation is only bad because we won't be getting that crazy cantilever.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quick screen shots from the post above

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:43 PM
BANNED

What a tremendous POS. This design is awful. They don't do anything to address that bulge along Wacker in this design either. At least the cantilever was wonderfully disjointed. This is going to be completely gaudy in 20 years and hopefully will be razed then. Here's hoping for a double dip recession to kill this pig before it can restart construction.

Seriously, this is one of the worst designs I've seen proposed as of late. it's entirely based on lame tricks to try to hide the fact that it has a massive base that is not intended to go with this design. This is going to be just like the Fairbanks: lame attempt at making some use of an unfinished hulk.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:07 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Although I think everyone liked the cantilevered design better, I don't see anything awful or deserving of being called a POS.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:13 PM

The worst part is that it is a generic condo/apartment tower in a location that deserved much more.

Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:37 PM

I think this design could be a pretty good box; what I think will make or break this building is the glass - it should be highly reflective - and the articulation of the balconies - they should be set back far enough to stand out with railings light enough to leave the setbacks looking continuous. The integration of the old base will also be tricky, but the renderings seem to make it look fine. The thing I'm most worried about is the way that the floor plates already installed keep their curve (you can notice this one the floor plans and subtly on the pictures). We'll have to see how this looks, but it might be fine.

As a plus (if I'm not mistaken) this will be more dense than Waterview. Someone correct me of I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:46 PM

Yep! The original Waterview called for 223 hotel rooms and 243 condos for a total of 466 units.

This design isn't as fleshy as the Destefano design but it's still a pretty good design, although I am a little disappointed with the height.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:51 PM
THAT Guy

The zigzag was actually copied from the Museum of Arts & Design after Handel modernized (destroyed, really) the old Lollipop building in New York.

What's going on with the entrance, though. Very random.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:59 PM

Thanks so much. I also found this quick breakdown on Chicago Architecture Blog. There is even more info on the website.

Nearly a 1:1 parking ratio in loop (yikes); I wonder if that was the original parking number, in which case we can't really blame Related...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:00 PM
The City

Nowhereman, I gotta disagree with you on this one.

I kind of like it. Clean, appropriate, it will look good facing the river.

I preferred the cantilever design as well, but...whatever.

You of all people should know that in the business of real estate, there is a lot more to be concerned about than getting exactly what you wanted. Or perhaps you still haven't been BURNED yet like I have

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Nearly a 1:1 parking ratio in loop (yikes); I wonder if that was the original parking number, in which case we can't really blame Related...
i believe that the parking numbers are the same. related inherited the existing parking ramp from teng, and there's not a whole lot else you can do with sloped ramps, so.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive