HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Anybody hear a rumbling about a sports complex (rink/indoor soccer) in the general vicinity of the MIP?
Yep, it'll be offsite. Look out for the McMaster Marauders hockey team.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Work is also set to begin on the new CANMET Materials Technology Laboratory, relocating to MIP from Ottawa. Approximately 75 per cent of the building will be lab space, supporting research activities in materials development and performance evaluation including pilot scale casting, rolling, forming and welding, corrosion, mechanical testing, and micro-structure evaluations. The building is targeted for LEED Platinum certification.
Just thought I'd point out this little tid-bit. I believe this is the highest LEED standard, and is extremely stringent. I've heard from my schooling that it requires certain things to be done even during construction, such as no dirt deposited on any roads in the area by construction vehicles. I applaud them in going for this certification, and would be very happy if they achieved it. Check out this wikipedia article on LEED. Under the certification heading, it shows the various categories and what is required to achieve the different levels.

P.S. New guy here, long time lurker.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Yep, they'll be hiring. Not all employees from Ottawa moved to Hamilton and some got an early retirement package. Probably 20 new hires needed, it'll be under the federal government employment listing not McMaster, they’re renting from McMaster.
Any idea where I could find more information on the jobs available? If I can find out what is specifically required that would give me a head start in preparing to qualify. Who knows, maybe they require a masters or PhD to work there. I'm sure they would have a higher academic standard than the place I work at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtown View Post
Just thought I'd point out this little tid-bit. I believe this is the highest LEED standard, and is extremely stringent. I've heard from my schooling that it requires certain things to be done even during construction, such as no dirt deposited on any roads in the area by construction vehicles. I applaud them in going for this certification, and would be very happy if they achieved it. Check out this wikipedia article on LEED. Under the certification heading, it shows the various categories and what is required to achieve the different levels.

P.S. New guy here, long time lurker.
Welcome!

McMaster takes the LEED

by Melyssa Morris
April 29, 2009
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/story.cfm?id=6120

When it comes to constructing and renovating sustainable buildings, McMaster is taking the LEED.

LEED which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is a set of standards developed by the United States Green Building Council. In 2003, the Canada Green Building Council received permission to adopt its own version of the U.S. Green rating system. The system takes into consideration the national climate, local construction practices, regulations and the Canadian market through a process that incorporates stakeholders and experts from various sectors of industry.

McMaster has two buildings that are LEED certified: Les Prince Hall, one of the first student residences in Canada to be certified, and the David Braley Athletic Centre.

The University implemented a Sustainable Building policy in April 2005 that requires new buildings and renovations be constructed to minimum LEED silver standards. The new engineering building opening this fall is targeted for LEED gold. The newly renovated Burke Science Building and new Burlington campus will be built to silver standard.

"By implementing LEED certification standards on current and forthcoming renovations and new buildings on campus, McMaster continues to demonstrate a commitment towards sustainability and the environment," said Karen Belaire, vice-president of administration. LEED initiatives also result in reduced operating costs for the entire life of the building, so it is an investment worth making. Following McMaster's policy will typically result in a 35 per cent reduction in building operating cost versus a non-LEED building.

The LEED system addresses six major areas: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality and the innovation and design process. Certification is based on the total points achieved following an independent review. Certification is granted solely by the Green Building Council and is based on the points received; buildings may achieve certified, silver, gold or platinum certification.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Any idea where I could find more information on the jobs available? If I can find out what is specifically required that would give me a head start in preparing to qualify. Who knows, maybe they require a masters or PhD to work there. I'm sure they would have a higher academic standard than the place I work at.
I'm guessing you should look at Natural Resources, it's their department that runs CANMET.

http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/carecarr/index-eng.php

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

Natural Resources Canada: Federal Government Delivers Nuclear Research Funding to Canadian Universities

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...da-983074.html

HAMILTON, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - May 1, 2009) - Thanks to an investment by the Government of Canada, 23 research projects at universities across the country will receive funding to develop advanced nuclear energy systems. These projects will encourage technology innovation, create jobs and boost Canada's economy.

"Investing in clean-energy research in Canadian universities is a win-win," said the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Natural Resources, who made the announcement at an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the McMaster University nuclear reactor. "By funding these university programs, we are training our future leaders in world-class research facilities, encouraging job creation and stimulating our economy."

Natural Resources Canada, in partnership with the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and in collaboration with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL), will provide almost $6 million in grants over the next three years to fund the 23 Generation IV (Gen IV) research projects at universities from Nova Scotia to British Columbia.

Through support for the new program, the Government of Canada is fulfilling part of its commitments as a charter member of the Generation IV International Forum. The Forum is a multi-national research initiative aimed at developing the next generation of nuclear energy systems with a focus on improving safety, reducing waste, lowering costs and increasing resistance to proliferation.

FOR BROADCAST USE:

Natural Resources Minister Lisa Raitt announced that the Government of Canada will provide almost $6 million for a new program to fund and coordinate Generation IV nuclear research at Canadian universities. Twenty universities will participate in research over the next three years aimed at developing the next generation of safe, nuclear reactors for clean energy generation.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:28 PM

The Canmet-MTL page even has a picture of the new labs on their link to jobs - look to the RH side.

I'd guess that would be the place to start.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 8:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

EllisDon got the contract ($45 million) for the CANMET building.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
EllisDon got the contract ($45 million) for the CANMET building.
Wow $45 million, that seems like a lot. I wonder what that includes and how many square feet this building will have. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have went into LEED certification. I am guessing it is ridiculously lucrative.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:46 AM
Hammer'd

Holy crap. Wow.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:50 AM
It's Hammer Time

Crane Alert!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
Needs more coffee...

McMaser?

Looks good, though.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 8:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Make that Double Crane Alert!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 12:37 AM

this site is uplifting, i love passing by and seeing it actively being worked on!

the battle continues over the trinity development however

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
the battle continues over the trinity development however
any updates?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 6:26 PM

endless delays. the next hearing is in august i think. the last hearing was simply apostponement of the hearing. they are playing the attrition game

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 8:38 PM
Closed account

Meeting to gather input on Trinity Big-Box Development

Greetings Neighbours!

A meeting will be held to gather ideas from members of the KNA about the proposed Big-Box store development on Aberdeen St.

As a participant in the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) Hearings into the zoning of the land that Trinity wants to build on, the KNA will have the opportunity to express our concerns about the proposal to the OMB. To that end, we’ve called this meeting to invite members to contribute their thoughts on how we should put our statement together. The meeting will be held at:

Stanley Ave. Baptist Church,

Thursday, June 25th, at 7 p.m.

Trinity’s plan is on the web (although it has changed in the past and is also subject to future changes).

Councillor McHattie’s website also has a page of information about the city’s intentions.

Members of the KNA executive will be available to provide an update on the latest information concerning the city’s plan to rezone the area and Trinity’s efforts to have the OMB stop the city from doing so. However, the purpose of the meeting is to invite member input into the KNA’s statement to the OMB.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:00 PM

i'd come, but i'm going to that creative catalyst thing already.

you have my virtual support!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's great to see the cranes from the 403.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton