HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:40 PM
Honored Member

Decline and Fall of Fort Wayne's (IN) Rail Passenger Service

Depots and Railroads in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I took all these photos except the vintage aerial, a Journal-Gazette file photo that I found in the archives of First Presbyterian Church. It's a crop of about one quarter of an 8x10 image shot sometime before 1948.

A couple of years ago I fell in with a bunch of railroad historians at a get-together at Hillsdale, Michigan. One of our recent on-line discussions concerned the Detroit Arrow, a Chicago-Detroit passenger train jointly operated by the Wabash and Pennsylvania Railroads.

The two lines crossed in Fort Wayne, and the shared operation allowed the two roads to compete with the New York Central and Grand Trunk railroads for a lucrative piece of traffic. The Detroit Arrow once had one of the fastest schedules in North America, averaging 75mph from end to end with its only stop in Fort Wayne where it changed engines, crews and operating railroads. I started digging through anything I had on the two roads and their downtown depots and shared it with the group. I thought I might as well inflict it on the forumers, too.

Some of these photos are hasty scans from old negatives and Ektachromes that haven't aged well. I still have more of this stuff unscanned in the archives. One of these days…

First Amtrak Broadway Limited in Fort Wayne, May 1, 1971
Waiting to document the arrival of a train running 45 minutes late, I took a photo of the Wabash Depot that had seen its last day of passenger service the day before.

The train gets a Penn Central freight engine to make up for a locomotive with engine problems.<br>

Wabash Depot

Pennsylvania Shops - Locomotive Erecting Hall
(Current site of main post office)

Old engine house

The structure in the background is the former post office dock, on the north side of the tracks west of the depot

Junction Tower
The building in the background with the smokestacks is the powerhouse for the Taylor Street GE plant, built during WWII to produce aircraft turbosuperchargers. The black water tower is Essex Wire, originally Dudlo Manufacturing, built to produce wire for Model T Ford spark coils. Mom worked there for a few months right after high school, before she decided to become a nurse. The brick buildings at the far left are the west end of the Broadway GE complex, along College Street.

In some of these photos you can see that the plaster at the lower edges of the vault is beginning to fail. As addicts stole more of the copper flashing off the roof, easily accessible from track level, the problem accelerated. By the time Amtrak service ended here, there were plywood partitions along the sides of the waiting room to keep people away from areas where it was dangerous.

Tunnel leading from south end of depot to stairs up to track platforms.

Looking north from the platforms along Harrison Street.

Oops! I'd guess that if this trailer had fallen out where there was no canopy frame to bump it partway back onto the car, it probably would have fallen off and made a heck of a mess. By 1980 the canopy roofs were leaky and rotten, and they removed them to keep pieces from falling on waiting passengers. They replaced a short section near the stairwells with coated steel panels. It was a pretty sad and dreary place to wait for a train.

November, 1990
The last Amtrak train to serve Fort Wayne, Train # 40, the eastbound Broadway Limited, ran in November, 1990. These are photos taken at the station on Baker Street that night.

The station, in somewhat unkempt condition at the inception of Amtrak in 1971, had received little in the way of improvement, and to a great degree had continued to deteriorate. The trash-strewn express/baggage elevator stands open to the elements and vandals.

Thieves had stolen the copper flashing from the roof, easily accessible from trackside, allowing water to penetrate and destroy the decorative plaster work on the ceiling vault. The arched windows at trackside had been mostly covered with plywood to protect them from thrown rocks, and neighborhood vermin had tagged the exposed glass. Plywood barriers kept waiting passengers away from areas where they might be injured by falling/fallen plaster.

Note the sign on the station bench in the foreground. You'll see it later.

An overhead drainage system had been improvised to intercept and redirect the water leaking through into the tunnel from the platform above. Plywood blocks off one set of stairs leading to a no-longer-used platform.

Plywood on the upper walls covers the remnants of glass-block windows pulverized by vandals, who also ripped down and destroyed the handrail on the right side of the steps. Stairwells originally were open at platform level, but in an effort to keep out vandals they were closed off with glass doors which were immediately shattered. The glass was replaced with plywood with plexiglas inserts, which got tagged and battered.

In some publication or on-line blog I saw a photo of the train arriving at an eastern station, with the sign still attached. The caption said that the sign had been attached by Amtrak Chicago coach yard workers. Somebody must have just made that up; here's proof:

The building was in deplorable shape by the time an architectural firm bought it and renovated it into office space. The spacious central hall is available with catering for private events.

They did a first-class job, even restoring the windows that backlight the stained-glass panels in the vaulted ceiling. Those windows had been bricked up years ago, I'd speculate for WWII blackout purposes.

The station backs up against an area that is seriously "the wrong side of the tracks." The razor wire was put up to keep thieves and vandals off the roof where they could try to break in through windows, spraypaint, and perform other acts of mischief.<br>

Westbound traffic on the NS side.

I worked on the top floor of this building until I quit GE in 1988. When the Broadway ran on time, I'd often see it pass as I walked to work from my home about a mile west.

Even when the station was still in use, the platforms were vandal magnets. The handrails were broken out of the stairwells and the glass-block windows were smashed. After Amtrak installed locking doors at the tops of the stairwells, the plexiglass got broken out so they put plywood over them. I think it would have been more effective to hire one of those guys who advertises security services in Soldier of Fortune Magazine, and tell him, "I don't want to know how you do it. Just make it go away."
Some time in the past couple of years, the railroad bulldozed the stairwell walls into the wells and collapsed the concrete roofs on top or them, sealing them off.

Added August 15, 2007:
Here's a crop from an aerial that I shared earlier. Looking at the automobiles that I can identify, it looks as though it may have been taken during WWII or even earlier. It shows three paths crossing between the PRR eastbound platform and the Wabash; one just west of the signal bridge, one a little west of that, and one just west of the water tanks. I went on site this morning to look it over, and mostly buried under ballast rock and overgrown vegetation there appears to be a remnant of what might have been a platform on the north side of the Wabash tracks. In today's litigious environment it seems unusual for railroads to permit passengers to cross active mains, but times were different then. Maybe that's how they did it.

My earliest recollection of the PRR station goes back to about 1947 when at the age of seven or eight I went to Chicago with Dad. The station now looks pretty much as at did then, although by the time of that trip it had already been altered with fluorescent lights. The buzz of those lights echoing through the cavernous space was one of the things that always triggered that memory when I went there to catch a train in later years. The pedestrian underpass to the platforms intersected with two stairwells; the one nearest the depot went to the westward platform, and the one at the far end went to the eastward platform, from which passengers might have used the foot paths in the photo to cross over to/from the Wabash.

Photos from this morning, August 15, 2007<p>
Looking east on Grand Street toward Calhoun. The Wabash depot stood on the left, with waiting room and ticket offices on the second story at track level.

Looking west from Calhoun Street. The stairway is the same one shown in the previous shot.

The Wabash depot stood on the left.

Looking west. The PRR depot and ruins of its platforms are obscured by the ailanthus and other overgrown trash vegetation on the right.

This is where I think the path west of the water tanks might have come through. The water tank footings are hidden in the thicket on the right. The drive going off to the left goes down off the elevation to Fairfield Avenue across from the GE plant.

This railing is on the south side of the Wabash tracks, across from where the path from the PRR station might have come through.

Standing on the Wabash overpass above Harrison Street looking at the PRR overpass and beyond.

Sidewalk on Wabash Harrison Street overpass, with part of the Wabash freight house visible at the far left.

Wabash freight house.

Where we've begun and ended our rail travels since 1990
The Amtrak stop at Waterloo, Indiana (pop. 2,040)serves Fort Wayne. It's at the intersection of Indiana 427 and US 6, 20 miles north:

Shelter walls don't extend all the way to the floor, and there are neither doors nor infra-red heaters. If you want heat while you wait for your (probably late) train, sit in your car with the engine running. You can get a cup of coffee at the gas station two or three blocks north. Don't slip and fall on the crushed-stone surface of the steepy-banked parking strip while getting out of your car.

That was the westbound platform. Eastbound trains try to line up with a relatively narrow track-level strip of asphalt that serves as a path to the platform. Sometimes they miss, and you step off into snow-covered ballast rock:

Nice, huh?

Rally for Rail 2010 in Fort Wayne
Baker Street Station, January 16, 2010

All Photos Copyright © 2010 by Robert E Pence

The station was designed by William Price, of Price McLanahan Architects, and built by the Pennsylvania Railroad. It was completed in 1914.

The clock was on the Calhoun Street facade of a bank that stood on the present site of One Summit Square. Renderings of One Summit Square showed the clock mounted on the Calhoun Street facade of the building, but it didn't happen. The clock languished in a warehouse where it was rediscovered a few years ago. It was restored by local artisans and mounted on a structure just west of the Baker Street Station.

Pre-program music was provided by Possum Trot Orchestra.

A little bit of Who's Who:
Former City Councilman Dr. Tom Hayhurst, one of the organizers and leaders of NIPRA and Democrat contender for the US Congress seat held by Mark Souder.

State Senator Tom Wyss is Chair of the State Senate Committee on Transportation and Veterans' Affairs.

Geoff Paddock, another NIPRA leader and Master of Ceremonies for the Rally For Rail.

Fort Wayne City Councilman Tom Smith, a rail supporter and also an advocate for bicyclists.

Win Moses, former mayor of Fort Wayne and now a State Representative.

Walter "Skip" Sassmanshausen, retired educator and widely acknowledged as the area's most knowledgeable rail historian.

Senator Wyss again.

Justin Stalter of the Downtown Improvement District, a strong supporter of NIPRA and provider of technical support.

Seats are filling up.

Nice venue, eh?

Geoff starts the program on schedule.

Fred Lanahan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Fort Wayne Public Transportation Corporation (Citilink)

Standing room only, full to the doors!

Dr. Tom Hayhurst tells how the return of passenger rail will bring jobs to Fort Wayne and Northeast Indiana.

Pam Holocher of the city's Planning and Policy Office, represented Mayor Tom Henry.

Allen County Commissioner Bill Brown was caught off guard and hadn't expected to be called on to speak, but delivered an effective, concise statement on the benefits of passenger rail for the local economy.

Fred Warner represented Steel Dynamics, now the only Fortune 500 company based in Fort Wayne. Steel Dynamics has invested heavily in rail production technology, and is developing a facility to manufacture composite crossties with a steel core and concrete body encased in a coating made from recycled rubber and plastic to protect from the elements and lengthen life.

State Senator Tom Wyss makes it clear that he understands the importance of passenger rail to Fort Wayne.

I didn't get this man's name, but he was here to communicate Senator Evan Bayh's support. Previously, a message from Senator Richard Lugar was read, so Fort Wayne passenger trains have strong bi-partisan support.

Congressman Mark Souder spoke.

The man everyone wanted to hear, INDOT Deputy Commissioner Leigh Morris. His statement that INDOT has recommended the Fort Wayne - Toledo route for Chicago - Cleveland service brought applause from the audience.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Jan 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM. Reason: Added more recent photos

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:03 PM
Resident Jackass

awesome, thank you!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Your city is very lucky that the station was restored. Let's hope it can be a catalyst for improving its neighborhood.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:10 AM
designer&stuff

Interesting and knowledgeable thread. Thanks for the history lesson in regards to Fort Wayne's passenger service.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:47 AM
North Texan

The one thing I noticed when I saw the restored ceiling later in the thread in the station was, "WOW!" In the old pictures when the station was still used for rail traffic the ceiling looked pretty yucky! You couldn't even see some of that great detail back then. I even looked back and noticed how dreary the ceiling looked. Thanks for posting these!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:49 AM
America's Hometown

Very interesting yet very sad to see the decline. I can attest to the fact that traveling on the train via Amtrak in the late 70's and early 80's was not the most pleasant experience.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:50 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Fascinating thread! They most certainly did a top notch job on the restoration. That building is absolutely beautiful.

I always feel a little sad inside whenever I see remnants of old railroads: abandoned tracks, old platforms and other buildings, and sometimes just the path where a line obviously used to run or a yard used to be. I don't know why -- the structures have no feelings -- but I always feel sorry for them. Like people just forgot about them and moved on to bigger and better things. I like to imagine how they must have looked when they were still a vital piece of infrastructure. This thread actually brings one back to life, which (for me anyway) is very interesting and enjoyable. Thanks!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 12:25 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Interesting and informative. What year did passenger service cease?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:13 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
The one thing I noticed when I saw the restored ceiling later in the thread in the station was, "WOW!" In the old pictures when the station was still used for rail traffic the ceiling looked pretty yucky! You couldn't even see some of that great detail back then. I even looked back and noticed how dreary the ceiling looked. Thanks for posting these!
Somewhere along the line, the Pennslvania overpainted the ceiling in two-tone glossy beige. It obscured a lot of the detail, but probably wasn't as horrid as New York Central's practice of spray-painting everything except the floors and window glass institutional green. They did that in Jackson, Michigan, and before the restoration of that beautiful station, even the oak trim and wainscotting had been painted over. In Fort Wayne, an architect with an interest in preservation did scrapings to determine the original color scheme for the restoration.

Quote:
I can attest to the fact that traveling on the train via Amtrak in the late 70's and early 80's was not the most pleasant experience.
In 1976 I rode the Broadway Limited to Washington, D.C. to see the bicentennial exhibit at the Smithsonian. There were places in Pennsylvania where I had to hang onto luggage racks and seat backs to keep my balance while walking through the train. And I'm fairly sure-footed; I used to stack bales on hay wagons traveling across bumpy, rutted fields.

Quote:
What year did passenger service cease?
Last Amtrak stop in Fort Wayne was an eastbound train in 1990. Now, Fort Wayne people have to travel to Waterloo, about half an hour north, to wait on an open platform with an open-sided plexiglas bus shelter and no restrooms or restaurants nearby for a train that may or may not be three hours late. Because of the cost of an Amtrak ticket and the unreliable schedule-keeping, I just drive to South Bend (2 hours) and use the South Shore electrics to go to/from Chicago. I pay about $5.50 each way (senior fare, half-price), and spartan but clean trains run on-time every two hours on weekends and holidays.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 11:46 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1412 View Post
Somewhere along the line, the Pennslvania overpainted the ceiling in two-tone glossy beige. It obscured a lot of the detail, but probably wasn't as horrid as New York Central's practice of spray-painting everything except the floors and window glass institutional green. They did that in Jackson, Michigan, and before the restoration of that beautiful station, even the oak trim and wainscotting had been painted over. In Fort Wayne, an architect with an interest in preservation did scrapings to determine the original color scheme for the restoration.

In 1976 I rode the Broadway Limited to Washington, D.C. to see the bicentennial exhibit at the Smithsonian. There were places in Pennsylvania where I had to hang onto luggage racks and seat backs to keep my balance while walking through the train. And I'm fairly sure-footed; I used to stack bales on hay wagons traveling across bumpy, rutted fields.

Last Amtrak stop in Fort Wayne was an eastbound train in 1990. Now, Fort Wayne people have to travel to Waterloo, about half an hour north, to wait on an open platform with an open-sided plexiglas bus shelter and no restrooms or restaurants nearby for a train that may or may not be three hours late. Because of the cost of an Amtrak ticket and the unreliable schedule-keeping, I just drive to South Bend (2 hours) and use the South Shore electrics to go to/from Chicago. I pay about $5.50 each way (senior fare, half-price), and spartan but clean trains run on-time every two hours on weekends and holidays.
I noticed that Amtrak's fares have REALLY gone up when I was in the States last month....they are virtually the same as Via's now....too much!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 1:27 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Interesting!

I am suprised to hear that there is neighborhoods in Ft Wayne rough enough to require razor wire!

Also, this picture is scary:

Thread needs more tractors!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 1:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Your city is very lucky that the station was restored. Let's hope it can be a catalyst for improving its neighborhood.
Funny you should mention that. The Harrison Square development is going in immediately to the north of the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
I noticed that Amtrak's fares have REALLY gone up when I was in the States last month....they are virtually the same as Via's now....too much!
Amtrak has been under relentless and unrealistic pressure to reduce its operating deficit, and uses market pricing to determine fares on most long-distance service now. Still, ridership continues to increase on most routes, so I guess it's the right thing to do, or at least unavoidable, from an economic standpoint.

I enjoy train travel, but the high prices for sleeper space have severely reduced my expectations of making any long trips trips in the near future, and I'm reluctant to subject myself to the indignities of coach travel on overnight trains any more. Crying babies, people stinking up the coach sneaking smokes at night, and middle-of-the-night stops where boarding and detraining passengers parade through, each one banging his suitcase into my seat as he passes.

Short trips are still attractive to me, though, because I qualify for senior fare which brings things to an affordable level. The Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha service is great for a day trip; fairly frequent on-time service, downtown-to-downtown. I don't know the current fare, but a couple of years ago I paid something like $25 for a round trip.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 2:47 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Interesting! I am suprised to hear that there is neighborhoods in Ft Wayne rough enough to require razor wire!
There are neighborhoods in Fort Wayne where the razor wire would be stolen and sold for the scrap-metal value.

Quote:
Also, this picture is scary:
That mangy-looking locomotive was shot just before Amtrak started putting its new (then) F40 units into service. The older trains were heated with steam from an oil-fired boiler on the locomotive, and the replacements use electric heat powered from a generator driven by the diesel engine

Quote:
Thread needs more tractors!
Does this help?

Man, we are really off-topic now!

Last edited by Robert Pence; Jan 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 5:55 PM

one word: Wow

(Thx for the 70s flashback... always love 'was/is' photos. Much appreciated kind sir~) Love the lady in the waiting area that is puffin on her cig too, good timing!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 4:35 PM
Honored Member

Shameless bump, because the photo links were broken for a long time. I fixed them.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 4:46 PM

wow thank you so much for the step back in time robert.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 10:41 PM

Too bad Fort Wayne was left out of today's round of high speed rail funding. Hopefully the Chicago-Cleveland line will receive some good money whenever the next round of funding happens.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 3:15 AM

Nice pictures. Now that you fixed the old links, you should add some 2009 or 2010 pictures.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:21 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Scrolling down slowly through the thread and reading the captions, I was getting so nervous I'd get to a shot of the building demolished, or worse, left to rot like you see all across the rustbelt, but was relieved to see it'd been renovated, if even the grounds still in shambles.

It was an emotional tour through time to say the least. Awesome thread. I loved the storytelling as well as getting a kick out of the changing fashions of the folks in the pictures. lol

The thread got me feeling a bit better about my city up the road (i.e. I-69) still having Amtrak/passenger rail service, if even quite literally out of an old storage shack. All of the stations remain (one was a restaurant, now abandoned, and one still is a restaurant), but Amtrak didn't want to use any of them, so they either leased or bought the current "terminal" which was an old storage warehouse built for Michigan State University:

rwelder

Despite the shack location, it's one of the busier stations in the state, and just proves to me how many more passengers it could attract if they were in a respectable station.

Last edited by LMich; Jan 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 4:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Now that you fixed the old links, you should add some 2009 or 2010 pictures.
As you wish; it is done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
[ ... ]

Despite the shack location, it's one of the busier stations in the state, and just proves to me how many more passengers it could attract if they were in a respectable station.
It's not so bad; it lacks the grandeur, style, and elegance of classic stations, but it looks well-kept and has landscaping and some respectable-looking concrete work out front.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos