HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 3:57 PM

Not really sure where to put this, but I was reading this article on the weekend about the CFL commissioner's plans to globalize the CFL:
https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-s-kickoff-...-2-0-1.1172970

One thing that struck me as interesting is that they are looking at perhaps creating some sort of a feeder league for the CFL. The long standing argument is that there are plenty of players coming out of NCAA and CIS with no place to play. Although I'm one that believes Moncton isn't ready for the CFL, I think depending how 'global' this new league could be, it could potentially be a nice fit for Moncton.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
1. It's good to know that they finally made a decision on this issue. It is indeed a good location I will say some parents from Hilcrest are not happy with this decision.

2. I was going to say it if you din't that they where going to copy the building process of Ste Bernadette School.

It's seemingly a better way to go as the school stays open but there will be some headaches as it shrinks down what little outdoor space the kids have for the time being until the new school is built, and old one demolished followed by the landscaping.
Thank god for this. As someone who went to Hillcrest, I am more than happy that the Bessborough location was chosen over Franklin Yards. Sure it sucks to not have a school right in our neighbourhood anymore, but I'm happy that a majority of students in Bessborough will still be able to walk and bike to school every day.

Frankly I am surprised that it appears the right decision is the one they went with. I had thought Franklin Yards was a done deal

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
This community pool will be a nice addition to the City. However, my family has frequented this park for years and it just seems like more and more of the park is cut down for activities. So the feel of a "Natural Park" seems to be slowly being eroded. How many extra acres of trees will be cut down to accommodate this new pool and expanded parking lots? People get excited when 3-4 trees are cut down in front of the new Hyatt Hotel but in this case, I suspect at least 3-5 acres of forested park will be cut down? Why not put this pool over on Millenium beside the Sportsdome and keep the natural park in tact?
I know about 10-15 years ago there was a push to increase the activities in certain underused areas of the park, so as to try and clear out some illicit activities taking place there. Don't think you could ever get a firm confirmation on it, but that was at least a small part of the inspiration/placement for things like the dog park, bike park and TreeGo (obviously the main thing being that they are nice additions to the park).

As for where this pool is going to be located, its partially disrupting the drive-in picnic areas (which were never used) and that's about it. I think this is a great location for it, as it won't be flooded every year and it is in close proximity to Camp Centennial, who uses the pool every day. The natural park very much still exists on the trails west of Firebreak Rd and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Has anyone else noticed the expansion ongoing for Organigram in the MID Industrial Park?

They've developed an entire campus of buildings on the NW corner of Edinburgh and Saint George. This summer they put in an entire electrical substation to service their enterprise, and now there is structural steel going up for a new large building just to the north on Edinburgh to join the remainder of the campus.

In addition, Nordia is soon to vacate their space and move into the old RBC call centre. Once this is done, Organigram will take over the old Nordia space too.

The entire complex will be massive!!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:44 AM
I Rise Again

That's what we like to see. Good ole business booming in the hometown!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Has anyone else noticed the expansion ongoing for Organigram in the MID Industrial Park?

They've developed an entire campus of buildings on the NW corner of Edinburgh and Saint George. This summer they put in an entire electrical substation to service their enterprise, and now there is structural steel going up for a new large building just to the north on Edinburgh to join the remainder of the campus.

In addition, Nordia is soon to vacate their space and move into the old RBC call centre. Once this is done, Organigram will take over the old Nordia space too.

The entire complex will be massive!!!
I see it every day...the steel for yet another building has gone up over the last two weeks and it's huge. They have also cleared land on the corner of English for an employee parking lot. I suspect that once Nordia moves the new building, based on it's footprint, will be connected to the existing structures (the Nordia building and the two behind are already connected).

It is indeed...'massive'.

Side note about Nordia's move...the inside of the old RBC center has now been completely gutted and the old HVAC units removed from the roof.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:54 PM

RIOCAN No Longer in Greater Moncton?

I was looking at the RioCan website this morning, and it seems they either are no longer promoting there Moncton holdings, or there Moncton Holdings have been sold off. I remember someone saying a little while they believed RioCan was selling off all there Atlantic Canadian Properties.

The Properties they still have listed are:

Trinity Conception Square, Carbonear, NL
Shoppers On Topsail, St. John's, NL
Charlottetown Mall, Charlottetown, PE
Corbett Centre, Fredericton, NB
Quispamsis Town Centre, Quispamsis, NB

The places they no longer have listed are there holdings/partial holdings in Moncton, Saint John, and Miramichi.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I was looking at the RioCan website this morning, and it seems they either are no longer promoting there Moncton holdings, or there Moncton Holdings have been sold off. I remember someone saying a little while they believed RioCan was selling off all there Atlantic Canadian Properties.

The Properties they still have listed are:

Trinity Conception Square, Carbonear, NL
Shoppers On Topsail, St. John's, NL
Charlottetown Mall, Charlottetown, PE
Corbett Centre, Fredericton, NB
Quispamsis Town Centre, Quispamsis, NB

The places they no longer have listed are there holdings/partial holdings in Moncton, Saint John, and Miramichi.
Correct, they are exiting Atlantic Canada. Riocan is actively trying to sell the Quimpamsis property. They sold Wheeler Park (Trinity) in Moncton to CREIT a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:13 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
hi all took with a girlfriend a car and broke down talking about bad men who can help respond don't know where to go.WhatApp +79257946259 . i a girl with
Sorry but the last place I would try to get help is this page, call 911, this has to be fake.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Sorry but the last place I would try to get help is this page, call 911, this has to be fake.
The only two messages from the user are the exact same messages in two unrelated threads (Moncton and New Orleans). Seems like a badly configured spam bot.

Best thing to do with those types of messages is to hit the Report button on the top right of the message, so moderators can see the message and nuke it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Correct, they are exiting Atlantic Canada. Riocan is actively trying to sell the Quimpamsis property. They sold Wheeler Park (Trinity) in Moncton to CREIT a couple of years ago.
RioCan announced, I believe last year, that they intended to divest themselves of all properties in Atlantic Canada to concentrate on the big 6 cities with a particular focus on Southern Ontario

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in Huddle about Organigram

Inside The N.B. Cannabis Company Worth Nearly $900-Million That Just Keeps On Growing
Oct 4, 2018
by Inda Intiar
http://huddle.today/inside-the-n-b-c...ps-on-growing/

Quote:
VP of Operations Jeff Purcell recently gave Huddle a tour of the Moncton headquarters of the company, now valued at more than $850-million.

Purcell, who worked in the food industry for over two decades before coming to Organigram in June 2017, said it’s been busy but exciting for him.

“We kind of say here that a year here is like 10 years in normal business,” he said. “We’ve really done some phenomenal things in the last 15-to-18 months – not just people growth, but also the scale at which we’re growing from a capacity perspective. It’s fast-paced but it’s fantastic.”

Now a team of 430 employees, Organigram only had about 60 workers a year ago. For Purcell, the challenge is to make sure company structures evolve along with the growth.
Quote:
Organigram’s facility had undergone two phases of expansion between February and June. It consists of two factories that are connected to each other in Moncton’s Industrial Park, with a total of two rooms to “clone” plants by clipping, 51 rooms to grow them, two packaging rooms for the recreational market, and a warehouse.

Each grow room can fit 1,080 plants. There’s also a section for organic plants. Workers use an in-house software to check on the plants’ stages.

The top floors include management offices, the marketing office, an employee gym and a call centre.

At the beginning of next year, the company plans to begin another phase of expansion which includes the addition of 91 grow rooms and a third clone room to serve the medical and recreational markets.
A valuation of nearly $900M - Holy Crap!!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 8:58 AM
I Rise Again

That's awesome for Moncton to have such a profitable company. Good for them!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Interesting article in Huddle about Organigram

Inside The N.B. Cannabis Company Worth Nearly $900-Million That Just Keeps On Growing
Oct 4, 2018
by Inda Intiar
http://huddle.today/inside-the-n-b-c...ps-on-growing/

A valuation of nearly $900M - Holy Crap!!!
Most marijuana companies are not currently profitable nor worth anything close to their current valuations. Keep in mind that 900 million dollar valuation is simply number of outstanding shares on the market multiplied by share price. Therefore the valuation is simply what people are willing to pay for the stock today which we well know is very emotionally charged. There will be a steep correction in these prices in the future. My point here is that I just want people to understand the market valuations on marijuana companies really means nothing at this point.

Aside from that OGI is well positioned in the market and a great addition to the Moncton economy. They have a bright future.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Most marijuana companies are not currently profitable nor worth anything close to their current valuations. Keep in mind that 900 million dollar valuation is simply number of outstanding shares on the market multiplied by share price. Therefore the valuation is simply what people are willing to pay for the stock today which we well know is very emotionally charged. There will be a steep correction in these prices in the future. My point here is that I just want people to understand the market valuations on marijuana companies really means nothing at this point.

Aside from that OGI is well positioned in the market and a great addition to the Moncton economy. They have a bright future.

Well said, the marijuana stocks on the market are high from hype and investors being irrational, Organigram is worth nowhere near 900 millions and everyone considering investing at this point should first read this article

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Things to see and do in Moncton - VIA Rail travel blog:

https://blog.viarail.ca/2018/10/11/u...FbXt89UyXV6gLU

very complimentary.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:32 PM

Small surprise there, considering the purpose of the blog is to entice people to travel on the train.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 3:56 AM

Not sure on accuracy but Moncton listed as the #1 most affordable rent for a city in canada from this article

https://www.facebook.com/17582649344...7467966540999/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

October 31, 2018

City of Moncton building permit figures remain healthy with diverse projects in third quarter

MONCTON – The total value of permits for the third quarter ending September 30 came in at
$41.3 million, compared with $63.1 million during the same period last year. The total number of permits for the quarter was 355, down slightly from 395 in 2017. Year-to-date values for 2018 permits add up to $187 million, compared with $215 million last year.
Commercial and residential building permits had 3-month totals of $21.3 million and $14.8 million, respectively. The largest drivers of these results include a new $4.6 million pool at Centennial Park, $4.5 million in renovations at 1199 St. George Blvd, a new apartment building on Ivy Road valued at $4.8 million, a $3.1 million commercial development at 1121 Shediac Road, $1.8 million of work related to the East End Pool, $900,000 in fit-ups for Bioscript Medical at 1234 Main Street, and a new Kelsey’s Restaurant on Trinity Drive valued at $800,000.
Institutional permits accounted for $4.1 million or 10 per cent of the quarter’s activity, with a new $1.2 million ambulance depot on Gorge Road and various school and church renovation projects.
“Now that the Avenir Centre is open, we should continue to see more development taking place within the vicinity,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “The atmosphere in our Downtown has been absolutely electric these past few weeks.”
The City’s Economic Development team echoed that sentiment.
“We’ve all been eager to observe the dynamics of having a facility like this in our Downtown,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “The feedback has been very positive, and we continue to be well positioned to see new projects coming online.”

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 11:21 PM

I saw the following on the agenda of Mondays City Council meetings. Any ideas?

PLANNING MATTERS/ QUESTIONS D’URBANISME
6.1 New Rezoning Application – Franklin Yard
Nouvelle demande de rezonage – Franklin Yard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces