HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 9:02 PM

new years in vancouver

anything going on?

I heard there is some family thing somewhere but thats about it for public events in the city and they are doing the countdown like 9 pm or something and i think its at the robson ice rink

i missed the details on TV

once again the city has no event planned

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 9:30 PM
Vancouverite

Vancouver really lacks in celebrations compared to Toronto, Seattle ect.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Downtown
Robson Square will host ice skating and a New Year’s Eve celebration from 5:00pm until 9:00pm December 31st. There will be live entertainment and an early countdown for the kids.
That's a facepalm sad event...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
We just need a landmark that we can blow fireworks off of.

Can we do it off of Canada Place, without burning holes through its roof or setting it on fire?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
...or pretty much any other city of comparable size...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 11:42 PM

I agree Vancouver really needs to step up it's game when it comes to this! I mean the Olympics where there and we put on a fantastic show and we held large crowds in check. We have the new convention centre plaza as the perfect back drop for a celebration. We do it for Canada Day why not NYE??

What I want to know is who runs the fun department in this city now and in the past? Because these individuals or committees need a good talking to!

The only thing adults can do is party (list here http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2010/12/n...1-party-guide/) But honestly there is nothing for us outside that.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Vancouver continues to be lame year after year after year!?

IMO We should set up a concert stage and have local artists (maybe one headliner) sing and entertain outside Jack Pool Plaza. Set up a few big screens around the convention centre so people can see etc... then a crazy fireworks display off the inlet.

It's time for Vancouver to grow up and carry the momentum built up from the Olympics. So far they haven't done a good job.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 12:27 AM

I remember the 2 years Surrey did its first night at central. It was nice cause adults could drink at the bar there. While family stuff was going on outside. I still wonder why it didnt keep going.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
I remember the 2 years Surrey did its first night at central. It was nice cause adults could drink at the bar there. While family stuff was going on outside. I still wonder why it didnt keep going.
It's expensive to put stuff like that on I suppose. Surrey's tax situation is out of whack from what I hear.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 1:16 AM

Well for a place with problem they still have a fair bit of festivals for comminties of whalley/fleetwood/newton. Then theres the cloverdale rodeo not to forget fussion and winter festival. You think instead of the winter one they could do the new years one. I'll keep hope that when the new city hall opens they will try it again.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 6:37 AM
Vancouverite

Could the creekside park area be used one day?
I mean before the development takes it in a few years.
Big wide open space, launch some fireworks in FalseCreek.
Huge Stage where the cirque tents go up, with some added lights from Science World.
Or of course have several different venues around the mainland, Holland Park, Vanier Park, Queen Elizabeth park, several parks in Downtown, someplace in burnaby, New west. ect.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
IMO We should set up a concert stage and have local artists (maybe one headliner) sing and entertain outside Jack Pool Plaza. Set up a few big screens around the convention centre so people can see etc... then a crazy fireworks display off the inlet.
It might be a waste if nobody wants to stand outside in the cold wet weather for it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 5:28 PM

Is it really the job of government at any level to provide New Year's celebrations? Wasn't First Night organized by a society, as the Celebration of Light still is?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:35 PM
BANNED

can't say that I'm surprised....world city my arse.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
It might be a waste if nobody wants to stand outside in the cold wet weather for it.
People every year gather at robson and granville despite the cold weather. It's cold in NY, Toronto and a bunch of other cities. If the city put something together, I'm certain they'll draw a crowd!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 9:54 PM

lots of people gather on granville despite the weather and nothing official going on there

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Is it really the job of government at any level to provide New Year's celebrations? Wasn't First Night organized by a society, as the Celebration of Light still is?
well the city has to provide police and services to some extent and a license or whatever is to hold the event

news reported that surrey one is not happenning and the vancouver one because of lack of sponsors

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 10:17 PM

No-fun' New Year's Eve irks Vancouverites

CBC News
Anyone looking to ring in the new year at a big public celebration in Vancouver may be in for a disappointment this year, after the city decided to return to its "no-fun" roots and not sponsor any public events.

During the lead-up to the Olympics, Mayor Gregor Robertson said he wanted to dispel the image of a "no-fun" city by sponsoring the highly successful Live City concert celebrations in downtown Vancouver every night during the Games.

"It will be the final nail in that coffin," Robertson said in October 2009. "This is not a 'no-fun' city. I think we'll demonstrate that in spades at these Olympics."

But despite the overwhelming success of public celebrations during the Olympics last February, not a single Lower Mainland municipality has decided to host any public celebrations for New Year's Eve.

Blogger Rebecca Bollwitt, whose popular Miss604 website focuses on local events, says she is surprised Metro Vancouver is not following up on the success of the Olympics with some sort of public event.

"I think people are really expecting more public events, more outdoor celebrations, more public gatherings that will bring people together, because after the Olympics people have just been craving that in Vancouver. They've been craving festivals, concerts and reasons to celebrate."

Bollwitt says lots of small family-friendly celebrations were planned for Friday night, but she feels an opportunity has been missed for a big public observance.

There won't be any fireworks in Vancouver for New Year's Eve, despite the success of public celebrations during the Olympics. (CBC)
"I actually had a few comments on my blog of people asking if they were going to be lighting the cauldron on New Year's Eve," said Bollwitt.

Vancouver used to host an alcohol-free First Night event, but the last one was seven years ago. Whistler planned a family-oriented First Night party to welcome 2011, but charged for tickets.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz19jKfdgbc

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hello World

I guess the only reason I can see is that hosting these events will cost money, money that the governments don't have. What we need is some more private sponsorships, which means we need more company HQs here

I've always envisioned a downtown countdown that makes good uses of the two big blocky TD towers. On all four side of the two buildings, they could synchronize the indoor lights of each floor to make 10, 9, 8... countdown. Call it TD New Years Eve Party or whatever to prominently showcase their corporate name.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
lots of people gather on granville despite the weather and nothing official going on there

Video Link
I would expect them to quickly disperse and take cover if it started raining, except maybe a few hardcores and drunks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment