HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:04 AM

Eskimos Canadian DL Kwaku Boateng wants to ‘prove the whole league made a mistake’
Dan Ralph, Canadian Press September 18, 2018

Kwaku Boateng is playing with a huge chip on his shoulder this season.

The Edmonton Eskimos defensive lineman has registered a team-best five sacks in his first full campaign as a CFL starter. That’s heady stuff for a second-year player but especially impressive considering Edmonton took Boateng in the fifth round of the 2017 CFL draft.

That’s also what’s fuelling the former Wilfrid Laurier star. Each time Boateng steps on to the field, he wants to prove to opposing teams they erred in not selecting him.

Predictably, the jump from Wilfrid Laurier to the CFL was big for Boateng, who offered an interesting reason why.

“What I tell younger players is many people think the CFL is a huge step down from the NFL,” he said. “Don’t get me wrong, there is some discrepancy, but in my two years here I’ve realized there are three individuals in the CFL.

“There’s the outstanding Canadian players who’re capable of making it out of Canadian university. There’s the Americans who played in the NFL but for whatever reason issues have kept them out of that league. And then there’s the up-and-coming stars, American and Canadian, who’re still trying to go to the NFL. People don’t understand the CFL is no joke and is comprised of three main groups all fighting to be great and I think that’s what makes it so great.”

Boateng had a brief taste of NFL life in 2017 when he attended the Chicago Bears’ mini-camp. He’d welcome another shot down south, but doesn’t stay up late at night worrying about.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:07 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:06 AM

Calgary Dinos Adam Sinagra is the next rising Canadian QB
Justin Dunk 3downnation September 26, 2018

University of Calgary quarterback Adam Sinagra is the unquestioned front-runner for the Hec Crighton Trophy and CFL personnel men are taking notice.

The third-year Dinos signal caller put on a display for the ages in Saskatoon on Sept. 14, the type of signature performance that makes Sinagra the leading candidate to be named the best player in Canadian university football. He passed for 569 yards against the University of Saskatchewan which ranks second-most in a single game all-time to fellow Calgary product Greg Vavra who has the record at 627.

It was just another day at the office for Sinagra, who is averaging 428 passing yards with 13 touchdowns with a 68.1 completion rate in four games, on pace for more than 3,400 yards through the regular season. Consider the fact Sinagra has produced that total against arguably the other top teams in the Canada West conference – Regina, UBC (twice) and Saskatchewan.

Sinagra’s skill level improved markedly after attending Calgary Stampeders training camp. Stamps head coach Dave Dickenson has decades of knowledge about playing and coaching the pivotal position at an elite level in the Canadian game. Bo Levi Mitchell, the 2016 Most Outstanding Player and Grey Cup champion and MVP, ranks among the best at quarterback in the CFL. Just being in the presence of Dickenson and Mitchell benefits any young quarterback, but Sinagra gleaned all he could from the opportunity.

Sinagra learned how Mitchell goes through his reads while dropping back to pass and, as a result, the decision-making from the Pointe Claire, Quebec native has been impeccable. He’s also adopted some of the swagger Mitchell naturally exudes.

The last Dinos quarterback who went through an apprenticeship with the Stampeders won a Hec Crighton Trophy, became a CFL draft pick, claimed another Hec and played two seasons for the pro team in Calgary: Andrew Buckley. And Buckley has returned to his alma mater to help Sinagra in a coaching role. Sinagra is developing physically but he’s around the same height and weight as Buckley. who was listed at six-foot-one 205 pounds when he retired from the CFL.

Sinagra spent an extra year in CEGEP at John Abbott College and has produced at a high level right from the start. Sinagra was the 2016 Hardy Cup MVP, then came off the bench to throw for 276 yards and one touchdown against Laval in the Vanier Cup that year. He led the Dinos to another Hardy Cup title in 2017 during his first year as the full-time starter and passed for 318 yards in a hard-fought defeat to Laval in the championship game once again.

That consistent production, growth and tape against Laval could be vital for Sinagra during the evaluation process by CFL scouts. Put a flashy Hec Crighton on the resume and it looks similar to Buckley who earned a chance in the pro game with many of the same accolades, school and mentors – Dinos offensive coordinator Ryan Sheahan coached both in their formative university time.

“Sinagra is playing really well and he’ll get a look,” one CFL scout said.

Buckley proved quarterbacks groomed entirely in Canada can compete alongside any regardless of the passport in the CFL. If Sinagra keeps slinging it around for gaudy numbers a legitimate pro shot should come to pass.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Crazy games today.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:55 AM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 4:07 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I wonder when the last time was that the Bombers held the Esks to 3 points in Edmonton. The EE were having a pretty tough night on offence and the BB were given the ball in great field position enough times that they couldn't help but score some points with it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 10:50 AM

Always a great day in Rider land when the Eskimos lose!

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum...sks-lose-again

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:48 PM

Five star performance by the Bombers last night... the defence in particular was savage and unrelenting. Fogg got the game ball but Bighill was exceptional and Sayles kept bringing the devastating hits. It was all unexpected and amazing to see. Special teams were great too and the offence capitalized on enough of the opportunities it was handed to get it done.

This was the team I was expecting to see at the start of the season... better late than never.

Shout out to the Ticats for the extra help too!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:34 PM

The Bombers seem to be getting hot at the right time now similar to Toronto last year. If Nichols can be a competent game manager spread the ball around to multiple receivers like he did last night and let this Bomber defense do the work with pressure and turnovers the sky is the limit for them.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

Did you see that catch and YAC by Daniel "J" Peterman(n). I was impressed by him before but that play solidified it. That's the kind of spirit the Bombers showed last night and it surprised me to see how quickly Bomber fans turned on them this season. The potential is there. Still surprised they haven't been calling him Mr Peterman

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 4:43 PM

In the Canadian stat leaders update, despite not playing due to the bye this week, Brad Sinopoli is still leading in receptions and more impressively YAC (yards after catch). He is not too far off second in receiving yards.

Andrew Harris is a fairly close second in rushing yards and third in rushing TDs (behind two QBs)

On defense, Alex Singleton leads in tackles, Henoc Muamba is third and Chris Ackie is sixth. Kwaku Boateng is tied for second in sacks with Ted Laurent ninth.

Lewis Ward is continuing his amazing rookie season leading the league in field goals with 40. He broke the league record (32) with a consecutive field goal made streak of 37 (still going as of now). He has amazing missed only one field goal all season.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 30, 2018 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 4:45 PM

Whats wrong with the formatting? I was getting extra blank lines added for quite a while (had to edit them out) and now I can`t get a line break (see above post). Edit: Now back to the extra blank line inserted.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Did you see that catch and YAC by Daniel "J" Peterman(n). I was impressed by him before but that play solidified it. That's the kind of spirit the Bombers showed last night and it surprised me to see how quickly Bomber fans turned on them this season. The potential is there. Still surprised they haven't been calling him Mr Peterman
I'd still fire O'Shea in a heartbeat. I am not convinced that this team will ever win a playoff game with him at the helm. I would gladly eat my words, though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:05 AM

Have to say, despite all the "show me NOW" publicity that is out of his control, I have become a fan of Johnny "Canadian" Football. That touchdown he threw in the fourth quarter to get Montreal back in the game was a real thriller.

People just need to be patient, Montreal is not that bad a team, I've seen far worse and I've seen teams that have lost the game before stepping on the field. The Als are neither of those. If they can string together a few wins to end the season and Johnny comes back for another year I think you'll see Montreal heading back to the good ol' Calvillo days.

I think the universe will unfold as it should in Montreal, better days are ahead.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Whats wrong with the formatting? I was getting extra blank lines added for quite a while (had to edit them out) and now I can`t get a line break (see above post). Edit: Now back to the extra blank line inserted.

I've been seeing question marks instead of the various buttons on here for several days. It doesn't matter which device I am on.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Have to say, despite all the "show me NOW" publicity that is out of his control, I have become a fan of Johnny "Canadian" Football. That touchdown he threw in the fourth quarter to get Montreal back in the game was a real thriller.

People just need to be patient, Montreal is not that bad a team, I've seen far worse and I've seen teams that have lost the game before stepping on the field. The Als are neither of those. If they can string together a few wins to end the season and Johnny comes back for another year I think you'll see Montreal heading back to the good ol' Calvillo days.

I think the universe will unfold as it should in Montreal, better days are ahead.
The good news is that contrary to some other cities, if Johnny gets really hot there is good potential for people in Montreal to get excited about him and the Alouettes.

Sometimes in the CFL you can have the hottest most exciting team with bona fide stars and people still don't give a shit. As if the league was so bad that the guy who passes for X TDs in the Grey Cup is basically equivalent to a kid playing touch football with his buddies in a neighbourhood park. For some people it doesn't really matter how good the play is on the field.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:12 AM

For months now my posts have had an extra blank line inserted between paragraphs. Someone must have been playing with the forum today because I was seeing all sorts of background stuff. I was going to take a screenshot but I figured the PTB knew about the issue and would correct it soon enough.

Things are ok now, except I'm back to the extra inserted line between paragraphs (I won't correct (edit) it here (and the post below) to show what it looks like)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The good news is that contrary to some other cities, if Johnny gets really hot there is good potential for people in Montreal to get excited about him and the Alouettes.
I agree with this, getting traded to Montreal was the best thing to happen to him, the Als and their fans, and the league. I think Montreal has and will increasingly take to him.

He doesn't look out of place to me and hasn't since the first action he has seen. He just needs to familiarize himself with the nuances and make better decisions, and I think he has.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
I agree with this, getting traded to Montreal was the best thing to happen to him, the Als and their fans, and the league. I think Montreal has and will increasingly take to him.

He doesn't look out of place to me and hasn't since the first action he has seen. He just needs to familiarize himself with the nuances and make better decisions, and I think he has.
I just hope this offseason the alouettes fire Kavis Reed, Joe Mack, Sherman and replace them with competent CFL front office and coaching. Paul Lapolice has proven he deserves another shot at being a head coach in this league. Imagine what Manziel could do if he had a half decent o-line and not the swiss cheese he has this year.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:59 PM

^ Kavis Reed and Joe Mack for sure, but is Mike Sherman really the issue in Montreal? I'm not so sure. They need personnel upgrades more than wholesale coaching change IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada