HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:46 PM

Residents most likely to display their provincial flag

Don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but I am curious since I noticed a couple of new flags in front of a house today on my usual commute in front of Oakville GO station. There were two small flag poles on the front yard, one had a Canada flag, the other had Ontario.

I searched and saw that there was a thread about best and worst provincial flags, but I didn't see anything discussing the prevalence of the flags in each province.

I think display of the Ontario flag is pretty rare for a residence. I'd say the same thing for a businesses too. Canada flag could possibly outnumber Ontario flags 100 to 1. The most obvious reason is that the flag is not unique. But also because Ontarians don't share a strong bond or unique culture.

Growing up in Brampton, where there is a sizable Newfie population, I would see tonnes of NL flag stickers on cars. Same with the outline of the province.

I've been to Montreal 10 times. First was 1995, during the lead-up to the referendum. Needless to say, saw tonnes of QC flags on balconies, etc. Saw tonnes of Canada flags too.

So my impression is:

1. QC - For obvious reasons.
2. NL - Isolated and was last to join Canada. Very unique identity.
3. SK - The most prairie of the prairie provinces (the populated southern half). Gives the people a unique bond.

After that I have no idea. I'd imagine ON would be last and MB not far behind strictly due to having the same boring flag. Plus I always read that Winnipeg hates itself and perhaps this extends to the rest of the province?

Do you know anyone that flies the provincial flag? What are your impressions for people who have lived in multiple provinces?

I imagine Texas would be #1 down south.

https://flagmartcanada.com/products/...ncial-flag-set

Last edited by megadude; Mar 8, 2018 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quebec and Newfoundland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude
I think display of the Ontario flag is pretty rare for a residence. I'd say the same thing for a businesses too. Canada flag could possibly outnumber Ontario flags 100 to 1.
Mostly because Ontarians see themselves as the shining beacon of representing Canada. You can see this at highway rest stops...in most other provinces they're filled with little Provincial trinkets, but in Ontario they're all mostly Canada labeled stuff.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:52 PM

Huh. Lots of flags in Nova Scotia, though mostly in small towns and rural areas, not so much in the city. (Though there are some, and it finds its way onto things like business logos and the like.)

I don't recall a lot of Ontario flags from when I lived there, which I honestly think has to do with being the largest and culturally dominant province: "default Canada". Lots of Canadian flags, especially in rural areas/cottage country, but not so many provincial ones (in my highly anecdotal experience).

Don't recall a lot of Alberta flags from my years there, which is kind of surprising in retrospect. But I rarely left Calgary city limits, so maybe small towns were different.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post

Don't recall a lot of Alberta flags from my years there, which is kind of surprising in retrospect. But I rarely left Calgary city limits, so maybe small towns were different.

It's still not a lot, but I have noticed an increasing number of Alberta flags and Alberta flag branding on things each time I visit Calgary. As a kid I don't think I'd ever really seen one except outside a government building.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:57 PM

In most of Quebec the flag you see displayed is the Quebec flag. The Canadian flag being displayed is a dead giveaway that it's an old Anglo who lives there.

Parts of Montreal of course may be the exception.

In Ontario I don't doubt the flag of Canada is considered the local flag, as JHikka pointed out.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:00 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Quebec and Newfoundland.

Mostly because Ontarians see themselves as the shining beacon of representing Canada. You can see this at highway rest stops...in most other provinces they're filled with little Provincial trinkets, but in Ontario they're all mostly Canada labeled stuff.
Newfoundland. Especially if its the pink one.

Around here you do not see anyone posting the Saskatachewan flag. Flags I have seen though:

Argentina
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Cameroon
Nigeria
Pilsner

But the flag you will see the most is the Saskatchewan Roughriders' flag.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Newfoundland. Especially if its the pink one.
The Republic of Newfoundland flag, yes. Waiting until Signal finds this thread.

Both the Republic & Provincial flags are flown often, though. The only time you see Canada flags are on Federal buildings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:05 PM

NL owns this. The rest of you pack up your flags and go home.

Speaking about the home front, you don't often see the MB flag on display. And you practically never see it outside of Manitoba.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Provincial flags are pretty popular in the Maritimes, but still play second fiddle to the Canadian flag.

NS and PEI in particular show a lot of provincial pride. NB flags are pretty common, but in this province Acadian flags (in francophone areas) can outnumber provincial flags. This is partly cultural, partly nationalist.

In Newfoundland, I gather that the pink tricolour can be quite popular in certain areas (especially the Avalon) for political (republican) reasons.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:08 PM

Good points about ON representing Canada. I can kind of see that now that I think about it.

And ya, when I'm fishing various lakes in cottage country, you see tonnes of waterfront properties with the flag pole close to the water flying the maple leaf.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
NL owns this. The rest of you pack up your flags and go home.
I wouldn't say NL owns this, even if it's near the top.

A pretty strong case can be made for Quebec too.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

But the flag you will see the most is the Saskatchewan Roughriders' flag.
Which is basically an alternate Sakatchewan provincial flag anyway, TBQH.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They're everywhere here, as it's a convenient way to express your politics and send a message. It can get tangly, like when we took down the Canadian flag from public buildings, or when the Province forbid the Labrador-only flag to be officially displayed on the Quebec border and they put it up anyway.

In the city you'll often see flags grouped together as one house expresses its views and neighbours respond. These displays can be pretty temporary. For example, English battle flags are almost never seen except on July 1, our Memorial Day, as backlash to all the Canada Day displays and festivities.

So there are five main flag options, and then their resulting combinations.

NL tricolour - nationalist. Usually displayed alone. Can be displayed with Labrador tricolour or Canada flag to indicate acceptance of the circumstances represented by those. Becomes less common as you head west across the island. Virtually unknown in Labrador.

Labrador tricolour - Dominant in Labrador. Displayed at every town hall, everywhere. It is universally their most revered flag, among whites, Metis, Innu, and Inuit.

Provincial flag - Dominant in rural areas of the island. Usually displayed with Union or Canadian flag, almost always at equal height.

Union flag - peppered everywhere, across island and in Labrador, in official and private capacity.

Canada flag - Found everywhere though less common as a private display in St. John's. Often displayed alongside any of the above.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

No question that Quebec is neck and neck with NL in terms of the importance they place on their provincial flags, but IMO Quebecers don't seem as inclined to fly it, except on special occasions like SJB.

People from NL and to a lesser extent NS seem to love putting their flag on everything... in their yard, on bumper stickers they put on their cars, tattoos, etc. It's ubiquitous in a way that the fleur-de-lis isn't.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
No question that Quebec is neck and neck with NL in terms of the importance they place on their provincial flags, but IMO Quebecers don't seem as inclined to fly it, except on special occasions like SJB.

People from NL and to a lesser extent NS seem to love putting their flag on everything... in their yard, on bumper stickers they put on their cars, tattoos, etc. It's ubiquitous in a way that the fleur-de-lis isn't.
Viewed from that angle I can see your point.

We don't have the "flag wars" (anymore anyway) that SHH talks about, which of course leads to a proliferation of flags.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In most of Quebec the flag you see displayed is the Quebec flag. The Canadian flag being displayed is a dead giveaway that it's an old Anglo who lives there.

Parts of Montreal of course may be the exception.
Gatineau has very few flags of any type on private residences or businesses in the city. This actually contrasts with Ottawa where you see the Canadian flag quite a bit on homes and businesses.

In the city in Gatineau you really only see flags displayed on St-Jean-Baptiste Day and Canada Day.

The Quebec flag is seen on cars and homes and balconies before and on June 24 throughout the city. Not as much as in Montreal, Quebec City and other parts of Quebec, but it's nonetheless very visible here.

You also see the Canadian flag on Canada Day and the lead-up to it, but not as much as you see the Quebec flag for June 24. I've always kind of been surprised by this.

The one exception to this is the part of downtown Gatineau right off the bridges where the Canada Day celebrations spill over from Ottawa. Those areas are full of Canadian flags on July 1st.

It's also not uncommon to see vehicles with Ontario plates driving on roads and highways in Gatineau on July 1 and flying huge Canadian flags.

As for year-round flag displays as I mentioned there are very few in the city. Outside of the city there are more on rural properties. West of the city in the Pontiac it's the Canadian flag you see, going north it's a bit of a mix and varies from town to town (Wakefield is mostly Canadian flags for example), and eastwards as you get into the Papineau/Petite-Nation region the Quebec flag predominates and things pretty much stay that way for 1000 km or more going east with only a few exceptional blips along the way.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Also, except for federal buildings, generally speaking public buildings here only fly the Quebec flag. I believe Gatineau city hall has the Canadian, Quebec and municipal flags. But other municipal buildings only have Quebec and the city flags. Pretty sure many other cities in Quebec do this as well - including Montreal and Quebec City.

Every school my kids have ever been to has only flown the Quebec flag.

Also the predominant colour for institutional imagery in Quebec is always blue (kind of a French royal blue), from police uniforms to transit liveries. Unlike much of the rest of the country the usage of red for this stuff is extremely rare here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Also the predominant colour for institutional imagery in Quebec is always blue (kind of a French royal blue), from police uniforms to transit liveries. Unlike much of the rest of the country the usage of red for this stuff is extremely rare here.
I've noticed that and I like it. Manitoba has no real consistent colour scheme... for a long time I think the colour were usually some variation on gold/brown, but then in the 80s green came into the mix, sometimes you see the red of the provincial flag, it's just kind of a mish mash.

I like how Quebec = blue, Sask = green, that sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:

I wonder if truck stop chains in NL fly their flag or not... I expect so if NL wants to have a shot at competing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6887...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I wonder if truck stop chains in NL fly their flag or not... I expect so if NL wants to have a shot at competing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6887...7i13312!8i6656
Unless I am mistaken, those big Irving stations in the Maritime provinces tend to fly a big flag of the province they're in - not the Canadian flag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada