HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
So, that's what a condo in the Erikson looks like? Meh, it's okay (although the view is gorgeous). As usual, Arthur Erikson disappoints.
Do you actually think Arthur Erickson designed the interiors of those units? I think not.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:40 PM

The average asian housewife west of Cambie has more wealth than most of these try-hards combined. Of course, the only asian trashy enough to be on the show had to be... blonde.

From what I've seen in a few youtube clips, Christina the hoe actually seems to be the smartest and most self-aware of the lot (the pretending to be 29 part is probably playing into it). Ronnie has a upper-east side manhattan classiness to her look, which dies as soon as she opens her mouth. The rest are complete jokes, especially Jodi... Who wears fur in Vancouver other than hookers?

I have little hopes that this will be good advertising for the city

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:58 AM

Happened across it while going throught the channels, thought I'd check it out for the scenery shots. saw them at the Cactus club. After about 45 seconds, carried on with the channel surfing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 6:14 AM

it was on again tonight - they are rerunning it to death

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
So, were the rich Chinese actually too classy to show up for the casting call?
Because their husbands lives are threatened back in China. Showing of all the money stolen and siphoned out of China on TV is just asking for trouble. They try to stay low key, back in China they know that once things fall apart that they will be targets. There are possibly over a thousand Chinese families with net worths in the 100's of millions in Vancouver. There are billionaires in this city people are not aware of. The richest person in Vancouver is not Jim Pattison.

Talk about low key.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 12:42 AM

You forgot that this show is also being filmed and broadcasted in English, which very few housewives in Richmond can actually speak

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:06 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Cornholio's quite right though. Chinese in general aren't crazy about flashing their money around (the older generation anyway). It hard to see right away, but once you've been in a place like Shanghai for awhile, you begin to notice the amount of ridiculously rich people around. A few of my friends, who are cool, down-to earth people; bike around, no car, buy cheap drinks from the bar, are from families that are worth a fortune. I remember I went to one of my friend's house for the first time, pulled up in front of a four storey 7000sqft SFH just outside of the city. She never made any mention that her dad owns one of the biggest construction companies in Tokyo, and why would she? In China these days, it's not a big deal to be from a family that rich.

It's these families that are slowly shifting their money in to places like Vancouver right now. In Shanghai and throughout the whole region - Zhejiang province especially as it's China's richest, Vancouver is very well known. Toronto too.

Last edited by giallo; Apr 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Cornholio's quite right though. Chinese in general aren't crazy about flashing their money around (the older generation anyway). It hard to see right away, but once you've been in a place like Shanghai for awhile, you begin to notice the amount of ridiculously rich people around. A few of my friends, who are cool, down-to earth people; bike around, no car, buy cheap drinks from the bar, are from families that are worth a fortune. I remember I went to one of my friend's house, pulled up in front of a four storey 7000sqft SFH just outside of the city. She never made any mention that her dad owns one of the biggest construction companies in Tokyo, and why would she? In China these days, it's not a big deal to be from a family that rich.

It's these families that are slowly shifting their money in to places like Vancouver right now. In Shanghai and throughout the whole region - Zhejiang province especially as it's China's richest, Vancouver is very well known. Toronto too.
Well not a big deal as in China has now unofficially the largest wealth disparity in the world, ahead of places like Brazil which are better known for this fact. Based on studies the number one fear of the Chinese in these positions is that when things fall apart(and the rich there feel it will as they say everything has grown too quick and too many instabilities have been woven in to the social fabric) is that they will become targets and lose their fortunes. It is also well known that nearly all the rich Chinese came to their "first bucket of gold" through illegal means usually through state corruption(really that is the case everywhere for most rich, to make that first lump of money, after money makes more money). The fact is that these "new" rich Chinese are paranoid and afraid, and they should be as no matter how much money they launder through say Vancouver and ship out of China they can never get it all out as its tied up in their ventures, and they stand to lose it all when the (in China literally the 99%) turn on them and use the mechanisms already in place to take that money back. Nationalizing property and quickly locking away or executing corrupt officials and business men is easy there, unlike here where there are checks built in to our government that protect these people. Thats why they love it here.

Long story short thats why these people dont flaunt their wealth like this, they grew up paranoid that they will be found out and lose it all. Being rich is one thing, you have some numbers on your side(you still need to protect your money and family but as far as using your money in public goes you blend in enough), being super rich is different though and makes you stand out like a sore thumb, you become the first target.

If people only knew how rich some people in Vancouver were they would be sick, and its not just Chinese, Chinese at this point though are the majority and the richest. Who do you think makes all the money from 1.5billion people working in their factories making and selling stuff to the rest of the planet. Look how rich some Europeans and North Americans became during the industrial revolution with markets and economies micro fraction of the size, now multiply that by a hundred or a thousand, and picture where these people feel their money is safest? Places like here, money capital laundering place of the world, a bank for the wealthy, set up to protect them and their wealth. Problem is that these people are still in China working, owning all these factories, trying to milk and siphon away as much as they can before it collapses, and it will because they have no loyalty to the place and think it will, how can you be loyal to a place and people that you are afraid of because you steal from them every day(thats what icall it when you steal your fortune and then use your influence and connections to make it bigger) with the intention to get your family and money as far away as possible.
/rant

These woman and this show does not depict the true super rich, not even close, just liek Forbes magazine doesnt depict the worlds wealthiest people, do people honestly think Bill gates and that Mexican guy or such are the wealthiness people on the planet. They would be surprised to know the truth.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:14 AM

Just wanted to add that its impossible to know the true wealth of some of these rich, specifically from China as far as im talking about in this instant. BUT it is possible to understand the approximate wealth of the super rich from China using fairly easily obtainable trade statistics and other relevant statistics and applying "Parento's Principle" to them along with a few roughly known variables. /rant

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:39 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Well not a big deal as in China has now unofficially the largest wealth disparity in the world, ahead of places like Brazil which are better known for this fact. Based on studies the number one fear of the Chinese in these positions is that when things fall apart(and the rich there feel it will as they say everything has grown too quick and too many instabilities have been woven in to the social fabric) is that they will become targets and lose their fortunes. It is also well known that nearly all the rich Chinese came to their "first bucket of gold" through illegal means usually through state corruption(really that is the case everywhere for most rich, to make that first lump of money, after money makes more money). The fact is that these "new" rich Chinese are paranoid and afraid, and they should be as no matter how much money they launder through say Vancouver and ship out of China they can never get it all out as its tied up in their ventures, and they stand to lose it all when the (in China literally the 99%) turn on them and use the mechanisms already in place to take that money back. Nationalizing property and quickly locking away or executing corrupt officials and business men is easy there, unlike here where there are checks built in to our government that protect these people. Thats why they love it here.

Long story short thats why these people dont flaunt their wealth like this, they grew up paranoid that they will be found out and lose it all. Being rich is one thing, you have some numbers on your side(you still need to protect your money and family but as far as using your money in public goes you blend in enough), being super rich is different though and makes you stand out like a sore thumb, you become the first target.

If people only knew how rich some people in Vancouver were they would be sick, and its not just Chinese, Chinese at this point though are the majority and the richest. Who do you think makes all the money from 1.5billion people working in their factories making and selling stuff to the rest of the planet. Look how rich some Europeans and North Americans became during the industrial revolution with markets and economies micro fraction of the size, now multiply that by a hundred or a thousand, and picture where these people feel their money is safest? Places like here, money capital laundering place of the world, a bank for the wealthy, set up to protect them and their wealth. Problem is that these people are still in China working, owning all these factories, trying to milk and siphon away as much as they can before it collapses, and it will because they have no loyalty to the place and think it will, how can you be loyal to a place and people that you are afraid of because you steal from them every day(thats what icall it when you steal your fortune and then use your influence and connections to make it bigger) with the intention to get your family and money as far away as possible.
/rant

These woman and this show does not depict the true super rich, not even close, just liek Forbes magazine doesnt depict the worlds wealthiest people, do people honestly think Bill gates and that Mexican guy or such are the wealthiness people on the planet. They would be surprised to know the truth.
I was going to reserve myself from commenting, but it's apparent that you're off your rocker.

Take your wild conspiracies here --> http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/index.php

There's plenty of guys who will be delighted to converse with you over the Illuminati, Bilderberg Group, Freemasons, and of course, the wealthy Chinese elite.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
You kind of had me until this.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
You kind of had me until this.
If your talking about Forbes then yes, it does not value private ventures properly, state enterprises held privately, nor does it have the ability to get accurate information from most countries outside of NA and Europe without it being disclosed volunteerly. Also they are unable to peace together family fortunes and vague stock holdings and such, this creates a problem in places where the wealth needs to be dispersed through out the family for safety and security reasons.

Forbes tries to do a good job but doesn't, and its rankings are wrong and misleading outside of the western world.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
I was going to reserve myself from commenting, but it's apparent that you're off your rocker.

Take your wild conspiracies here --> http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/index.php

There's plenty of guys who will be delighted to converse with you over the Illuminati, Bilderberg Group, Freemasons, and of course, the wealthy Chinese elite.
Maybe I wrote too much but I never mentioned anything about a conspiracy, must be you who is off the rocker. I said that the super rich hide their wealth for fear of the people out there, this is a fact, and they try to get it out because they feel its unstable there, fact, and most of them came to their initial fortunes through illegal means, fact.

I dont see any conspiracy theories here.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...199/story.html
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44481201/Rein..._Fleeing_China
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-11222011.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...hits-67bn.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:22 AM

Meh. Don't get me wrong, there are some very very wealthy Chinese on the planet, but the notion that they are many hundreds of times wealthier than the richest people on the planet right now but magically unknown and hidden, is a big stretch. There's very little evidence other than myth that this is true. It's like this notion that you should throw away cooked shelfish if the shells don't open. That too is an old wive's tail that even some chefs have started believing.

If you repeat a lie or myth over and over again, it starts to sounds real.

Is there a big spread between the Chinese elite and the poor? Sure. Are there some very rich Chinese people out there whose wealth is not truely known? Sure. But some of the theories I see has some of these Chinese business men worth trillions.

That's just far fetched.

What isn't a conspiracy though is that very wealthy Chinese do invest in Vancouver and other cities around the world. It is also true that a large portion don't accurate report their incomes or assets. Every theory has a grain of truth, but people seem to just jump a bit off the deep end.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I'd still take just $million if someone super ultra wealthy was feeling generous.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:24 AM

the show in all the other cities isn't about wealthy women - they just happen to have money - and they make more interesting viewing for people - who wants to watch real housewives make costco runs, drop off kids at soccer, pick french fries up off the floor at mcdonalds etc.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:39 AM

^^Well I didnt mean to imply their 100 times or a thousand times wealthier then the richest people of today. Infact im not trying to single out Chinese, most non western countries have incredibly wealthy people whos true wealth is unknown and not represented accurately. It just so happens that China is a country of 1.5billion thats grown at some 10% per year over a decade+, thats what separates it from the likes of Russia, Philipines, Brazil, Arab countries, etc. The wealth of the richest Chinese is way off, thats what im saying, and there even more motivation for them to hide it, and its easy to hide when you get so wealthy so quickly.

As far as the wealthiest people in the world go, there are a few Arabs that are so wealthy it would blow your mind. But yet again their true wealth is unknown and not accurately represented. Take Gaddafi, sure not everything said about him is true but where there is smoke there is fire, and there are still accusations of him siphoning out over 200billion dollars out of Libya. How much did he really steal? how much did he really own? Who knows? Hard to say as Libya was his own private company...But even if he could get 200billion out there are a few other Arabs for who that is chump change, difference being that they are smart enough to keep ideology out of their business.

My point is that these woman arent super rich as depicted, their just rich. There are specifically Chinese families inthis city who have more wealth then you can imagine, and this wealth is still growing exponentially. But no one knows, its all funny money and these people dont want people to know their true wealth, as far as we know the richest guys are all in the west, with their wealth invested in western companies.

Anyways im kind of ranting away, I just find all this fascinating.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:21 AM
loafing in lotusland

It's important to understand that culture often plays an important role.

The way we disclose and show off our wealth is not the same as how people in countries with very different histories do.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:28 AM
See ya down under, mates

That's the thing though; those ladies didn't act like Vancouverites at all. If I saw a lady like that "West Vancouverite" wearing a big Soviet style fur hat I'd laugh. They are Beverly Hills wannabe caricatures.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:01 PM

i see women like them , i don't know how they act the same way but they definately have that look

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion