HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

50 King Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 6:25 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:04 PM

Lot's of potential sites along Dundas St. east. For example old Kelloggs plant or McCormick plant if they get redeveloped into office/residential spaces.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 9:03 PM

I believe this isn't going to the OMB anymore.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
I believe this isn't going to the OMB anymore.
Why not? Because they have changed the plan, height or other? Or have decided not to build?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:20 AM

Maybe the residents of Renaissance towers who filed with the OMB have withdrawn their appeal? It's still years away from even starting given the Health Unit isn't about to move out any time soon. Tricar's tower will be done and tenants living there by 2018. Rygar's project should be digging the foundation for the 4 levels of underground parking by end of 2017. Wouldn't expect this project to even start until 2018 at earliest. Hell Old Oak's 32s tower on Richmond is more likely to be underway and maybe Auburns on Wellington St overlooking Victoria Park and even the tower on Clarence St.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 5:53 PM

The people opposing withdrew there OMB application. Didn't want to pay for it all when they new they were going to lose to such a great project. But it will still take some time to get started. But were moving forward!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 8:48 PM

Given the other proposals now out there maybe the County will look at going higher? Rygar is going for a 38s tower. I think the location is perfect for something 40+ stories tall.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:42 AM

Well the OMB challenge was dropped on this proposed project. Good news on that count. Appears to have shrunk down to 28s now. Not so good news.

The Health Unit move decision is not expected until the Fall and likely means they won't move until late 2018 or 2019 at earliest.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/03/29/wa...icator-dropped

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:54 PM

I always thought it was around 28-29.. It originally was like 31 I think before penthouses owners in the area wanted it shortened a few stories.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:29 PM

Whatever size it is, it's beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:13 PM

I was hoping to see this end up taller HOWEVER it is a beautiful design and whatever the height it certainly looks like one of the best looking towers to be built in London.

Good to hear about OMB as well,

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 10:44 AM

Well looks like this proposed tower is now on life support based on this article.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/07/28/lo...hrise-in-doubt

Sources saying the county can't afford it and the market is saturated. At the same time the search for a new home for the Health Unit is not going well.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 12:16 PM

I am not sure what they mean by the market being saturated. Sure there are a ton of proposals, but no projects except Tricar with shovels in the ground. It would be sad for this to not be built, but the location is prime and something will get built there for sure.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 8:09 PM

Not likely to start even if approved for years.

Assuming a couple of the proposed towers are built in the next 2-3 years the market could be different then.

Agree the site is ideal for a project. Still think 28s is far to short given the location. Maybe a pause will result in a true showpiece tower in the 40s range 5-10 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I am not sure what they mean by the market being saturated. Sure there are a ton of proposals, but no projects except Tricar with shovels in the ground. It would be sad for this to not be built, but the location is prime and something will get built there for sure.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

par for the course for London.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:56 PM

I don't think the market is saturated at all. Sounds like a little BS going on behind the scenes to me. They should just sell the land to some developer and let them takeover everything. Its pretty much saying no one is interesting in building the project with them and there project. Also sated its a lot of work for them. Sell the whole thing to one of the developers and let them take it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:46 PM

The downtown market is no where near saturated, proof is Tricar buying up properties and building like crazy.

The problem is lack of serious proposals and the ability to actually build, I think most of these groups simply do not have the ability to go through with a plan. The only way this tower does not make sense is if they cannot built it within a timely manner.

They should just sell the land to Tricar and let them build.

As much as I love the look of this tower I would also rather see a 110-120m tower there instead, it really is prime land.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:53 PM

It wouldn't bother me if this land was bought by the city and we built a proper performing arts centre or tourist attraction here. Heck, even a park or people space would be fine. Anything other than the drab building and parking lot that currently resides on the lot is fine.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is perhaps the most prime location in the core. Definitely warrants a signature building or attraction. The current building/parking lot is soul-sucking.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:18 PM

Given that the MOHLTC is exploring the amalgamations of the existing 36 Public Health Units to the same borders as the LHIN's.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/commo...nel_report.pdf

The current London-Middlesex PHU was looking for a new location to move out of their current building to make way for this high rise project.

I suspect this MOHLTC plans have put a damper on the move and any future plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates