HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:24 AM

Kreos has a similarly sized facility in Saskatoon from which they operate what appears to be a very successful private jet charter business. They also serve other business travellers flying their own aircraft. Why would that business model not also work in Regina?

I don't know how the idea of them servicing large commercial airliners came into play. They don't do that in Saskatoon. Don't know why they would in Regina.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
For a few years preceding October, 2014, WestJet and Air Canada strongly advised that the Regina Airport Authority build infrastructure in order to accommodate new hangars somewhere on airport grounds; now, the infrastructure is in place.

Yes, that AC DC-9 slid off Runway 30 during a freak snowstorm in May of '83. I have a July '83 photo of the said DC-9 with its tail sticking out of the Regina Flying Club hangar with its engines removed. I would post that pic on here; however, it's a pain-in-the-ass to post pics on this website.
Please post!!!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
For a few years preceding October, 2014, WestJet and Air Canada strongly advised that the Regina Airport Authority build infrastructure in order to accommodate new hangars somewhere on airport grounds; now, the infrastructure is in place.

Yes, that AC DC-9 slid off Runway 30 during a freak snowstorm in May of '83. I have a July '83 photo of the said DC-9 with its tail sticking out of the Regina Flying Club hangar with its engines removed. I would post that pic on here; however, it's a pain-in-the-ass to post pics on this website.
Here you go:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Here you go:

Amazing! I can’t seem to find record of this accident online, not mentioned with air Canada or the Regina Airport Wikipedia. Was it hushed?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Amazing! I can’t seem to find record of this accident online, not mentioned with air Canada or the Regina Airport Wikipedia. Was it hushed?
No it was big news at the time. Hopefully this link to the May 14, 1983 LP works:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Here you go:

Hahahaha!!!! Stormer, you must have found that on the Regina Historical Thread on fb. Thank you sir.

That shot was taken from a 110, Kodak Instamatic during July '83. Lol!!! (I was 17.)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:35 PM

And with regards to the Kreos thing, if they build a hangar large enough for A320s/'737s, AMEs would be able to make repairs indoors instead of outside - especially during the winter; that's what the carriers insisted on having in YQR. We'll eventually see what we get.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha!!!! Stormer, you must have found that on the Regina Historical Thread on fb. Thank you sir.

That shot was taken from a 110, Kodak Instamatic during July '83. Lol!!! (I was 17.)
Yes, if you are on a pc you can just copy and paste photos from fb and many other sites. It does not work on Android.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Kreos has a similarly sized facility in Saskatoon from which they operate what appears to be a very successful private jet charter business. They also serve other business travellers flying their own aircraft. Why would that business model not also work in Regina?
I just don't see the scale in Regina. Like yeah there are some businesses with jets in Regina, but with that few I don't get it.

I'll fully admit I don't know what scale and margins these things need but I don't see it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I just don't see the scale in Regina. Like yeah there are some businesses with jets in Regina, but with that few I don't get it.

I'll fully admit I don't know what scale and margins these things need but I don't see it.
They have a subsidiary/division called "Central Aircraft Maintenance (CAM)" that provides aircraft maintenance services. They don't appear to be chasing after mid-range aircraft currently.

That said, it is not unusual to see maintenance of 737 sized aircraft occur in smaller centers that are not the home base for such aircraft. I don't see the issue of having a newly constructed hanger sized for a 737. There are smaller regional jets that take up nearly the same space. If it was sized for a widebody that would be a different story.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:36 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Maple Leaf Lounge in Saskatoon:

The press release with a bit more details....

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...693235961.html

Are they doing a self-serve bar (the same as the old Maple Leaf lounges) or are they doing the bar tender service?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The press release with a bit more details....

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...693235961.html

Are they doing a self-serve bar (the same as the old Maple Leaf lounges) or are they doing the bar tender service?
From the linked article:

Quote:
The 137-square-metre lounge features such amenities as a full-service bar offering a wide selection of beverages, including Canadian wines and specialty coffees, a self-serve buffet area and comfortable seating with a view of the tarmac
I'd presume that means that only the buffet is self-service.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 11:56 PM

Anyone have a render of the new Canada post facility for YQR?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
From the linked article:

I'd presume that means that only the buffet is self-service.
That's exactly what it says. To me, it's not ambiguous at all.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
That's exactly what it says. To me, it's not ambiguous at all.
I prefer the self serve bars at the other maple leaf lounges.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:19 PM

New Website online for the Regina International airport...

https://www.yqr.ca

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:39 PM

Does anyone know if any other twin cities (i wouldn't say you'd call Regina and Saskatoon twins) have partnered in one airport?

How awesome would it be if our airport was in say Davidson SK and we could grab the entire provincial population with a central airport. Don't forget Regina and Saskatoon's airport doesn't just grab the cities but a 2+ hr population around it. I'd personally be ok with driving an hr if I could choose from the selection of Destinations Winnipeg has. I also know that a lot of southern Saskatchewan below Regina is now driving a few hrs south to utilize Allegiant Air in Minot ND for their insanely cheap rates and great service.

I'm curious to know if there's any other locations similar to Regina and Saskatoon's issue that have solved their problem by centralizing the location of their airport...

I think that Allegiant Airlines is an exceedingly difficult issue to address here in Saskatchewan when we can't compete because of regulation? I can only see it getting worse, which is ridiculous that Minot, a city the size of Prince Albert - has better prices and selection than Regina to America. It should be the opposite - with our lower dollar Americans should be driving a few hrs north to fly south.

In 2017, Minot ND - population 50,000 served 300,000 patrons - 6 annual trips per patron.
In 2017, Regina SK - population 250,000 served 1,200,000 patrons - 4.8 annual trips per patron.
In 2017, Saskatoon SK- population 270,000 served 1,463,000 patrons - 5.4 annual trips per patron.

*I would also argue that most people in Yorkton and Swift Current (~+40,000) would fly through Regina. And same goes to Saskatoon and the North.
**To make matters more arguable for lower prices, the next closest airport with the same level service from Minot ND is 90 minutes away to the South (Bismarck), 3 hrs to the east (Grand Forks, ND), and 4 hrs to the South East (Fargo, ND). These are all airports with Delta, Allegiant, and United at them. All with a population ~50,000. Astonishing. Is regulation our issue in Canada? I personally love Allegiant over Air Canada.

Last edited by roryn1; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 PM

^ It's an interesting concept, but the distance is too vast... who would want to drive an hour and a half, especially in the winter, to avoid a one hour connection in Calgary on their way to Vegas or whatever? A short drive to the airport is one of the things that smaller cities have over bigger ones.

Look at the list of destination from YWG, it's not like Winnipeg has that many more than YQR/YXE. Usually when I travel I'm connecting somewhere anyway. You would have to reach YYC-type numbers to make something like that worth it in terms of gaining a significant mass of new destinations.

Last edited by esquire; Sep 26, 2018 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:48 AM

looks like they are finally scrapping the fleet of jets at the YXE. must be getting in the way

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan