HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for?
Brian Bowman 57 95.00%
Jenny Motkaluk 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:55 PM

Bowman can just keep his mouth shut for the rest of the campaign and he'll win the election. Only way he'll lose is if he says something really dumb.

Said state of affairs this civic politics stuff.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:34 AM

Frankly other than this plebiscite gaffe I think bowman has done a fantastic job. It’s pretty difficult to have good sentiment as a politician these days, and his is quite favourable. Regardless if you agree with his political views, he has accomplished quite a lot of stuff, even if it’s not all shiny fancy things.

I don’t think it’s a sad state of affairs that it’s this obvious who’s going to win. It means the smart people aren’t running because they know they don’t have much chance. One of our most highly regarded mayors was Glen Murray, but most non-liberal/progressive people absolutely hated him.

Think Bowman’s done a flawless job of trying to appeal to/appease as many people and groups as one can. Again, other than P&M. Just don’t think (in this day and age) anyone could have more widespread average or better opinion. I mean most people’s biggest complaint about his is his smirk... that’s a big win.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:56 PM

Fort Rouge - East Fort Garry is going to be a key race. As councilor, Gerbasi has been the most consistent voice of urbanist issues.

Based on my vast expertise and careful study, I think it breaks down like this:
Koroma, Peter - ran as a Liberal in the last provincial election, in the Logan riding
Wolbert, Harry - I think he's tried running for the Manitoba Liberal Party leadership?
Rollins, Sherri - NDP/public sector union candidate
Thompson, Michael - has money for slick Facebook ads?
Meilleur, Stephanie - Osborne BIZ
Spina, Bryanna - ??
Palmer, Jeff - City planner, has worked for CentreVenture, U of W's development corp., as well as some private consulting.
Langen, Geof - another NDP/union candidate?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Fort Rouge - East Fort Garry is going to be a key race. As councilor, Gerbasi has been the most consistent voice of urbanist issues.

Koroma, Peter - ran as a Liberal in the last provincial election, in the Logan riding
Wolbert, Harry - I think he's tried running for the Manitoba Liberal Party leadership?
Spina, Bryanna - ??
Palmer, Jeff - City planner, has worked for CentreVenture, U of W's development corp., as well as some private consulting.
Sherri Rollins is the current chair of the Winnipeg School Division Board, so has a fair bit of political experience and is probably well supported behind the scenes.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Spina, Bryanna - ??
Vote for Jeff!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:

Spina, Bryanna - ??
Are all those candidates just for Fort Rouge/East Fort Garry?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:25 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^No incumbent.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:48 PM

Just based on resume I have to go for Jeff.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Frankly other than this plebiscite gaffe I think bowman has done a fantastic job. It’s pretty difficult to have good sentiment as a politician these days, and his is quite favourable. Regardless if you agree with his political views, he has accomplished quite a lot of stuff, even if it’s not all shiny fancy things.

I don’t think it’s a sad state of affairs that it’s this obvious who’s going to win. It means the smart people aren’t running because they know they don’t have much chance. One of our most highly regarded mayors was Glen Murray, but most non-liberal/progressive people absolutely hated him.

Think Bowman’s done a flawless job of trying to appeal to/appease as many people and groups as one can. Again, other than P&M. Just don’t think (in this day and age) anyone could have more widespread average or better opinion. I mean most people’s biggest complaint about his is his smirk... that’s a big win.
I find it sad that there is no one of substance out there willing to run against him. Only person I know is Jenny M. Not sure where she came from but, is clearly not the answer.

Then there are numerous wards where nobody is running against the incumbent, from what I heard a coupe weeks ago. Hopefully that's changed. But ya, sad.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 6:00 PM

She came from the Conservative political machine. It's not a secret.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 4:03 AM
BANNED

No one credible to give Bowman any kind of threat so it looks like more of the same from dithering selfie boy Brian.

Have to agree with Bomberjet, no one running for city council or mayor all incumbents included inspires much of anything but more of the same, apathy is aliv and well in Winnipeg civic politics and at a time when things really need to change!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 5:22 PM

It's not a surprise that anyone with half a brain is reluctant to run for municipal politics right now. The political climate in this country and province is just toxic. You've got the province refusing to participate in funding infrastructure in communities and threatening every public job which communities rely on, plus making laws (or threatening to) on how the municipalities/school boards can tax their constituents so there are very few options to get anything done.

If you're a councillor or mayor/reeve you are going to spend all your energy fighting for any drab of funding, fighting the province to not destroy it's own workforce taking jobs out of your community and look like a total idiot because in the end very little progress will happen. The whole economy is on the brink of falling into the shitter and our public infrastructure is going with it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
It's not a surprise that anyone with half a brain is reluctant to run for municipal politics right now. The political climate in this country and province is just toxic. You've got the province refusing to participate in funding infrastructure in communities and threatening every public job which communities rely on, plus making laws (or threatening to) on how the municipalities/school boards can tax their constituents so there are very few options to get anything done.

If you're a councillor or mayor/reeve you are going to spend all your energy fighting for any drab of funding, fighting the province to not destroy it's own workforce taking jobs out of your community and look like a total idiot because in the end very little progress will happen. The whole economy is on the brink of falling into the shitter and our public infrastructure is going with it.
This province is now paying $1B that’s BILLION in interest alone on the provincial debt., you can thank 17 years of the speNDP regime for destroying Manitoba’s finances now and forever! Pretty tough to do much when that’s the third biggest expense the provinc now faces every friggin year!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:12 AM

One BILLION dollars!! Dr. Evil speaks.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:18 AM
Rational urbanist

Jeff Browaty endorses Jenny Motkaluk for mayor. Essentially destroys any credibility he had in my opinion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.4815796

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:21 AM

What credibility was that? Actually, they share the same politics so it actually maintains his credibility.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:53 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
What credibility was that? Actually, they share the same politics so it actually maintains his credibility.
Well before all I knew about him was his Portage & Main stance, which I may disagree with but it's a common position. His support for someone who's pretty obviously unqualified and would be considered a non-serious candidate in most other elections is another matter though.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
This province is now paying $1B that’s BILLION in interest alone on the provincial debt., you can thank 17 years of the speNDP regime for destroying Manitoba’s finances now and forever! Pretty tough to do much when that’s the third biggest expense the provinc now faces every friggin year!
Admittedly, our debt is high given our small population. We need an oil strike or maybe a significant influx to our population/tax base.
http://www.debtclock.ca/provincial-d...nitoba-s-debt/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 3:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Vote for Jeff!
Agreed. Jeff is a good guy.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Jeff Browaty endorses Jenny Motkaluk for mayor. Essentially destroys any credibility he had in my opinion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.4815796
Yeah I don't know what credibility you're talking about. Even ignoring P&M the guy is a nutcase.

Quote:

Spina, Bryanna - ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Sherri Rollins is the current chair of the Winnipeg School Division Board, so has a fair bit of political experience and is probably well supported behind the scenes.
Meilleur would be a nightmare. She couldn't even keep the Osborne BIZ organized and most of the business owners hated her. Jeff sounds like a good candidate.

I don't think Rollins will get much love – many people are growing extremely wary of School division spending and practices, especially at WSD.

Frankly if someone ran on a platform of working with the province on school division reform, going down to one division, or at most 2 (one being French) – they would rocket up my charts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan