HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 9:46 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I don't understand how it's inappropriate.

How is it inappropriate?
It's inappropriate because it looks like a piece of downtown Hull — and we all know how beautifully that fits into its surrounding environment. This is campus architecture that would be great for Tunney's Pasture, Carleton University or the Nortel complex. I'm not against increasing density, I think there are ways of achieving it without dropping a couple of monoliths with a useless plaza in between that have no relationship with the street or neighbourhood.

There are so many creative things they could do with that property — maybe smaller footprint buildings (I don't care how high) with a loop of pedestrian alleys and courtyards, and underground parking beneath. They've already set the precedent with the arched passageways on Richmond, why can't they continue on with an intimate clustering of buildings around the old convent building instead of completely overpowering it?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:20 PM

I'm really not sure how anyone could like the old design vs this new one? Large, rectangular boxes feel far more overpowering than tall, sleek towers with a tapered top.

I think the height would make a great gateway tower to Westboro when travelling east along Richmond and Byron.

Anyways, we all know this will NEVER get built because of the SuperNIMBY movement in Westboro. So, let's just build the ugly box instead.......

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:26 PM

Exactly. In fact there are random 20+ story towers all over Westboro.. including this beauty just a couple of blocks south of Byron on Kirkwood:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3879...7i13312!8i6656

As pointed out earlier... it is *strictly* the height which upsets people.. density is the same whether it is the smaller boxes or the tapered tower.

I really just don't get the hatred of height in Ottawa...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post

Exactly. In fact there are random 20+ story towers all over Westboro.. including this beauty just a couple of blocks south of Byron on Kirkwood:

As pointed out earlier... it is *strictly* the height which upsets people.. density is the same whether it is the smaller boxes or the tapered tower.

The only logical explanation I have is that people don't want a repeat of that beauty.

Personally I am still trying to understand why they were up in arms in Little Italy over everything EXCEPT Envie. Same goes here...we get daring architectural proposals, we get rejection.

I think that's the same reason why more wanted RV for Lebreton. I like the urban plan of it more but I do hope we do get something worthy in height and architecture.

Oh well...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post

Is it height generally (often it seems to be) or, in this specific case, is it the idea of a substantial tower rising up right beside the former convent (with no renders to show how fabulous the interaction of the two would be)?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:57 AM

I was looking at a penthouse at Qwest last year, but decided not to buy, as the construction quality appeared poor. There are currently 4 penthouses for sale, and most have never been occupied. I noticed one penthouse that was listed at $925K last year has just come back on the market at $799K.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:33 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 12:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New developer plans to partially demolish Westboro convent for commercial use
Ashcroft Homes to present plans to for 19th Century convent in January

By Judy Trinh, CBC News
Posted: Dec 08, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 08, 2017 5:00 AM ET

Another pitched development battle is brewing in Westboro over a new proposal by Ashcroft Homes to partially demolish a 19th-century convent designated as a heritage building to make way for commercial uses.

The information posted on the website of Kitchissippi ward councillor Jeff Leiper says that

Ashcroft's "adaptive re-use" of Les Soeurs de la Visitation Convent will be encapsulated in glass and combine both heritage and modern elements, according to information posted on the website of Kitchissippi ward Coun. Jeff Leiper.

Ashcroft is proposing to modernize the stone building to attract commercial and office tenants.

The developer — along with City of Ottawa staff in both the planning and Heritage departments — will present more details in a public open house next month.

Leiper has warned Ashcroft to expect a fight from residents and from council.

"This is almost certain to generate a significant amount of community backlash. It will be difficult for me to support any modification to that building," Leiper said.

The city made it clear to Ashcroft in 2010 that preserving the convent was one of the conditions it had to commit to when it was given permission to purchase the property, he said.

Kitchissippi residents will also demand Ashcroft keep its initial promise to use the 147 year-old building for community space, he said. When it was awarded the development rights to the two-hectare site, Ashcroft pitched council a vision to use the former monastery to hold neighborhood gatherings and art installations. Stores and office space were not part of the deal, Leiper said.

"There is a need for community facilities in the neighborhood," Leiper said. "Ashcroft has a real challenge to convince the public to support the addition of more commercial space."

The Kitchissippi councillor said there is already bad blood in the ward stemming from Ashcroft's previous deviation from council-approved plans.

Ashcroft's controversial redevelopment for the convent property was the subject of a three-day planning committee in 2010, where dozens of residents spoke against the plan. Ashcroft paid $12 million dollars for the property on Richmond Road at Island Park Drive.

Ashcroft's development on the convent lands is recognized around the city as the type of "main street development we don't want," Leiper said.

Ashcroft has not filed a formal land use application for the convent, according to city staff.

Glimpses of the structure built in the mid-1800s can be seen through the archways of an adjacent Ashcroft-developed glass condominium on Richmond Rd and Island Park Drive.

The stone building has sat empty for more than seven years. It is currently fenced off with its windows boarded up, and wooden support beams propping up some of its walls. Despite its state of disrepair, Marthe Ledoux, 77, said Ashcroft must keep its promise to the community to restore the building.

"This place is sacred, like a church," Ledoux said. She has lived in Westboro for nearly two decades and resides across the street in another Ashcroft development on Richmond Road and said from the window of her modern condo, she sees half a dozen unrented retail storefronts surrounding the convent. She has doubts Ashcroft will be able to attract commercial interest in the site.

"Why would commercial space come here (to the convent) when they don't come on the main street?" she asked.

Ashcroft Homes president David Choo was unwilling to be interviewed, but in a brief email exchange he told the CBC restoring a large heritage site like the convent requires a "sponsor."

"If heritage assets are to be preserved and that is what we are trying to do — then how can we achieve (this) given the enormous cost of such an undertaking…. The convent needs several millions to even begin to adapt and the question is who pays?"

Choo did not answer questions about how much his company has spent to preserve the building since purchasing it in 2010.

The public hearing for Ashcroft's long-awaited proposal for the convent will take place Jan. 10 at Van Lang Field House at 6 p.m.

With files from Joanne Chianello

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-use-1.4438119

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]New developer plans to partially demolish Westboro convent for commercial use
Ashcroft Homes to present plans to for 19th Century convent in January

With files from Joanne Chianello

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-use-1.4438119
Not really a surprise. A disused convent that was built on the cheap and not taken care of for decades will be partially demolished? Not a surprise. The entire eastern side of the building is unstable and will need to be completely taken down to the foundations regardless of decisions made by the planning board.

The options here are:
1. Demolish most of it and rebuild to match. Maybe some of the interior finishes will be saved, but our heritage committee doesn't really care about interiors.
2. Demolish most of it and allow the developer to make something of the remainder.
3. Keep it as-is until it collapses on its own and is so moldy inside the interior isn't salvageable anyways (usually the preferred method)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Ashcroft's development on the convent lands is recognized around the city as the type of "main street development we don't want," Leiper said.
Is the "city" being referred to here the City of Ottawa or the City of Westboro?

Is "main street" fetishism the new "green space" fetishism?

What, exactly, is it about main streets that the new "this doesn't belong on a main street" totem is supposed to be protecting us all from?

If commerce doesn't belong on a main street, and residents don't belong on a main street, and institutions don't belong on a main street, what are the main streets being reserved for?

Last edited by Uhuniau; Dec 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:54 PM

I'm not sure I understand Ashcroft's argument that "someone" has to pay for the convent restoration. That someone is Ashcroft... that was one of the conditions of building the rest of their development.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:50 PM

This seems to be a common theme with Ashcroft. The agreement with the NCC for the Re between Sparks and Queen was for the old theater façade to be dismantled, restored and re-built. Ashcroft left it to rot for 10 years until they could say "ooops, sorry, have to demolish it. But hey, at least will build a cheap replica". Killing the hotel portion was another bait-and-switch.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This seems to be a common theme with Ashcroft. The agreement with the NCC for the Re between Sparks and Queen was for the old theater façade to be dismantled, restored and re-built. Ashcroft left it to rot for 10 years until they could say "ooops, sorry, have to demolish it. But hey, at least will build a cheap replica". Killing the hotel portion was another bait-and-switch.
I hated that Ashcroft got rid of the hotel portion of the re. It was going to be our first five star hotel. Nobody should ever trust Ashcroft again.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 11:05 AM

In the good old days these people would be tarred, feathered and sent out of town never to return again.

Why Ottawa continues to settle for this bait n switch crap is beyond me.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ashcroft faces Westboro wrath for convent redevelopment proposal
Former convent could be partially demolished, rented out for commercial use

CBC News
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 8:56 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 11, 2018 8:56 AM ET

Ashcroft Homes presented its plans for the redevelopment of a 19th century convent to a room packed with skeptical Westboro residents Wednesday night.

The proposal includes demolishing the interior of the former convent on Richmond Road, as well as portions of the south and west wall, and building a modern glass structure matching its four-storey height that would also enclose courtyard.

"It was single-purpose designed as a convent and very austere,and very small rooms. The floor plans are very difficult not only for leasing the space, but also for community uses," said Don Schultz, an urban planner for Ashcroft Homes.

The developer bought the former Les Soeurs de la Visitation building at 114 Richmond Road almost eight years ago along with a two-hectare plot of land for $12 million.

Schultz said not only has working around the convent's original design been challenging, but the company also found issues it wasn't expecting.

"Anyone who buys an old house finds out about a lot of the demons in the basement and in the walls and that is what
Ashcroft has been learning," he said.

After an extended development fight where both sides went to the Ontario Municipal Board, the stone convent has been mostly untouched while a nine-storey condo was built on the edge of the land near Island Park Drive.

When Ottawa city council gave Ashcroft Homes approval to develop the former Westboro convent lands, it was with the understanding that the developer would restore the convent so the community could use it.

The developer says it is keeping up its end of the bargain.

"There may be some offices or combination of businesses that would find this a unique and attractive space to have an office, but that has to be combined with community uses as well," Schultz said.

The presenters mentioned a restaurant or a business incubator could occupy the space, but admitted the building's low visibility from the street would limit the possible tenants.

Some residents felt those examples didn't fit their definition of "community use."

Coun. Jeff Leiper, who hosted the meeting, said restaurants and pubs aren't going to cut it.

"I am thinking of non-profits who could benefit from free space, or using it as a community meeting space, or as recreational space," said Leiper.

Duff Mitchell, who lives across from the Ashcroft condos at the corner of Island Park Drive and Richmond Road, said he expected the convent would be preserved as a condition of the developer getting additional height and density for the project.

"After about eight years hearing they want to alter the convent structure and this is essential for moving forward, I find a bit troublesome — especially since they haven't identified any partners for this project," he said.

He said the idea of bringing commercial tenants to the site doesn't make sense given the persistent vacancies on the ground floor of the Richmond Road development.

Lorne Cutler, president of the Hampton Iona Community Group, said he would've preferred if Ashcroft had details on a partner or financial contribution to community space rather than vague plans for its use.

"This is still the same old, same old, after seven or eight years," Cutler said.

Leiper said there is no good will in the community to even contemplate allowing Ashcroft to move forward with the plan.

"If it's costing them more than they expected, in the eyes of the community that is too bad," said Leiper.

"Commitments were made. They need to stick to their promises."

The proposal for partial demolition is expected to go to the city's built heritage committee March 8.

Leiper said the plan will also require rezoning and consideration by the planning committee.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tion-1.4481566

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Ashcroft faces Westboro wrath for convent redevelopment proposal
Former convent could be partially demolished, rented out for commercial use

CBC News
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 8:56 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 11, 2018 8:56 AM ET

"This is still the same old, same old, after seven or eight years," Cutler said.

Leiper said there is no good will in the community to even contemplate allowing Ashcroft to move forward with the plan.

"If it's costing them more than they expected, in the eyes of the community that is too bad," said Leiper.

"Commitments were made. They need to stick to their promises."

The proposal for partial demolition is expected to go to the city's built heritage committee March 8.

Leiper said the plan will also require rezoning and consideration by the planning committee.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tion-1.4481566
I don't understand this squabble. Clearly the sanctuary side of the building is on the verge of collapse and was not maintained over the years. Demolish what is not useable and rebuild it to something useable.

Also clearly non-profit, low/no-rent situations are not sustainable, especially in Westboro, unless the City is the owner and willing to shovel money into the pit. I don't understand what the fuss is about. Rent out a percentage of the space to tenants that actually make money, and provide the remaining public space at City of Ottawa rates (which are on a sliding scale, depending on what kind of entity is renting) and call it a friggin' day. This isn't the only type of business proposal with this financial case.

Mixed use development is the only way this thing isn't going to limp along and become a ho-hum abandoned space a few years from now, like so many underutilized, underperforming community centres.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
I don't understand this squabble. Clearly the sanctuary side of the building is on the verge of collapse and was not maintained over the years. Demolish what is not useable and rebuild it to something useable.
Who's fault is that? Ashcroft! They've been sitting on it for eight years, racking money from the new condos on Richmond and now "oops, sorry, have to demolish part of it".

They did the same thing with the Re, Deal was that they kept the old Theater's façade. Sat on it for 10 years until they "had no choice" but to demolish.

We've seen the same thing with Somerset House (which I think the City deserves equal blame), Ogilvy's, the old school on Murray...

Somebody needs to step up and implement some rules around heritage protection.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Monocle Westboro... the next phase of Ashcroft's Qwest project:

https://www.monoclewestboro.com

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:53 PM

http://www.condopromo.com/monocle-we...ndos-westboro/

Councillor Jeff Lieper reminds Ashcroft that the project hasn't been approved yet, so slow the f*** down and get your signs off the sidewalk.

https://twitter.com/JLeiper/status/1008098161427009536

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa