HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Hintonburg Connection in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Hintonburg Connection | 53m | 17 fl | U/C

Development docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9JK1EW

Quote:
Promised nine-storey zoning, Hintonburg site developer wants 19

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN April 23, 2013 7:07 PM

OTTAWA — A builder wants to construct a 19-storey tower on the site of the Odawa Native Friendship Centre in Hintonburg, a site the city’s planning department has previously said was suitable for a building less than half that tall.

Discussions about the future of the property at Stirling Avenue and Scott Street have already been controversial. As the Odawa centre considered moving out about two years ago, it hired planning consultants from the private firm FoTenn to help it get the best price for its property. The site is zoned for an institution with a maximum height of about four storeys. After a “pre-consultation” about the possibilities in late 2011, city planner Kersten Nitsche wrote to FoTenn that the city would back a rezoning that would allow a nine-storey building on the property if the new owner met particular conditions about parking and setbacks and preserving the former school the Odawa centre occupies.

At the time, planning general manager John Moser acknowledged that the promise was a little too definitive, though the point of a pre-consultation is to give builders an idea of what planning rules could allow.

“We’re giving them a box to play in,” Coun. Peter Hume, the chairman of city council’s planning committee, said at the time. “We’re saying, ‘We’d look at nine storeys. If you want to come back and give us a 15-storey building, don’t bother.’”

Now the actual application is in from developer Morley Hoppner and architect Barry Hobin — and different planning consultants, Lloyd Phillips and Jill Stewart of Lloyd Phillips & Associates. It proposes the 19-storey tower, a renovation of the Odawa building into luxury condos with two extra floors added for penthouse units and some townhouses facing Carruthers Avenue, the next street west. The whole thing would be called “Hintonburg Station.”

The Citizen couldn’t immediately reach Hume to find out what he thinks of the gap between the planning department’s views and the application.

The site is just a couple of short blocks from Tunney’s Pasture with its transit station and thousands of government jobs, and it’s right on Scott Street, a major artery, the application says. Putting commercial uses on the ground floor, probably stores, would add some life to a pedestrian dead zone, too.

The city is working on a plan for such a revitalization, having hired urban design guru George Dark to come up with a plan for Scott Street and much of nearby Mechanicsville. He just started, though, and the city will likely have to decide on Morley Hoppner’s proposal before he’s finished.

No date is set for a planning committee vote; the city’s planners are working on an assessment of the proposal.

The Odawa Centre announced in late March that it’s moving to City Centre, near the O-Train tracks south of Albert Street.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...437/story.html

Last edited by rocketphish; May 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM. Reason: Added project name to thread title.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:06 AM

Preserves a nice old building, mix of brick and glass and on the mid-way point between Tunney's and Bayview. I'm good with it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 1:07 AM

I like everything except for the design of the tower facing north and how wide it looks. Couldn't they break that up into two towers?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:51 AM

Hey, it's my old friend, Slabby McSlabberson!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:52 AM

the view is going to be amazing if it gets built, but isn't the design a little bit 70's??

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Map:

More renderings:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 1:26 PM

somebody goofed this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
the Soho is shown on part of the site of 159 Parkdale, and then they don't show any of the approved future highrises! Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't use an angle with 159, 111 and 99 Parkdale shown as approved, to make it look like a more high-density, high--rise oriented context than currently. Strange. Especially since all of Hobin's drawings for 99 Parkdale assumed that there would be a similar highrise building next door at 111 (this was before Tega submitted their proposal, so it was shown as a "twin tower" for simplicity's sake).

The courtyard and repurposed school look nice, although if someone asked me what use should be made of an old school, with a gym, etc, in a core area of the city that's being planned to add tens of thousands of new residents over the decade, my answer would be "well, uhm, how about we use it as school?"

But I don't understand this tower at all. Why the square and the slab? why take up so much space? The shadows cast northward over Scott and the Transitway won't impact much of anyone, but the late afternoon and summer evening shadows which are cast to the southeast across Stirling, Pinhey, etc. will be much worse because of that L-shape (the orientation of the grid in this part of town is off nearly 45 degrees from the cardinal directions; so at the summer solstice, sunset is almost in the "north" on the street grid).

Last edited by McC; Apr 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:27 PM

I concur. Great summary and critiques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
somebody goofed this one:

the Soho is shown on part of the site of 159 Parkdale, and then they don't show any of the approved future highrises! Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't use an angle with 159, 111 and 99 Parkdale shown as approved, to make it look like a more high-density, high--rise oriented context than currently. Strange. Especially since all of Hobin's drawings for 99 Parkdale assumed that there would be a similar highrise building next door at 111 (this was before Tega submitted their proposal, so it was shown as a "twin tower" for simplicity's sake).

The courtyard and repurposed school look nice, although if someone asked me what use should be made of an old school, with a gym, etc, in a core area of the city that's being planned to add tens of thousands of new residents over the decade, my answer would be "well, uhm, how about we use it as school?"

But I don't understand this tower at all. Why the square and the slab? why take up so much space? The shadows cast northward over Scott and the Transitway won't impact much of anyone, but the late afternoon and summer evening shadows which are cast to the southeast across Stirling, Pinhey, etc. will be much worse because of that L-shape (the orientation of the grid in this part of town is off nearly 45 degrees from the cardinal directions; so at the summer solstice, sunset is almost in the "north" on the street grid).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:04 PM

Nice that the old school is being re-used (although overcrowding is starting to become a problem in H-burg) but the tower is too wide/tall for the houses south of it, and looks awkward being so close to Scott.

Massive density has already been approved for areas closer to Tunney's station than this (Parkdale), so the justification to go this much higher than then 9 already allowed seems questionable.

The Parkdale towers are also buffered by the fact they'll be bordered by blocky and butt-ugly mid-rises that have been there for decades, which isn't the case here.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:02 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Groundwork laid for Odawa centre redevelopment

By Derek Spalding, OTTAWA CITIZEN November 12, 2013

OTTAWA — There is plenty of work to be done before the site of the former Odawa Native Friendship Centre will see towering condos built on it, but a rezoning approval has inched the project forward.

The city’s planning committee agreed to change the zoning at the site at 12 Stirling Ave. in Hintonburg, allowing for both commercial and residential development, instead of the previous institutional use.

Rezoning will allow the four-storey brick Odawa building, which was a school before the friendship centre took it over, to be restored and used for offices. Meanwhile, developer Morley Hoppner can push ahead with plans to redevelop the remainder of the site.

Those plans include a condo complex that incorporates the 80-year-old Odawa building and is complete with a 19-storey tower beside it. The condo development is on hold, however, because of ongoing work to create a new community-design plan for the area. That process is expected late this year or in early 2014.

The location could be ideal for high-density residential, considering it is about 600 metres from both the Bayview and Tunney’s Pasture transit stations, but a height variance will be required before approval is given.

dspalding@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/Derek_Spalding
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...139/story.html

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:16 AM
National Capital Region

recommended for approval at 17 fl
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=317744

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
That's good, at least. I'd like to see this one built.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:27 PM

With its proximity to the Bayview and Tunney's future LRT stations, I'm not surprised it's been recommended for approval.

I'm not crazy about every aspect of the design, but I do like the red brick - good choice for an exterior instead of stucco or crappy siding.

Quote:

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 11:07 PM
National Capital Region

I was driving by on the weekend and I think I saw the part of the building along Scott being demolished... can anyone confirm?

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I was driving by on the weekend and I think I saw the part of the building along Scott being demolished... can anyone confirm?
Confirmed, they've been demolishing the site around Odawa for the last few months (February?). The additions are gone, so it's just the old section left on that site.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:
They demolished an addition that housed the school's gym.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 4:37 AM

Stopped by and took this shot. The additions to the building have been removed and it looks like they're gutting it (asbestos, I think they said?) so that you can look through the doors and see through the windows in the back.

This may be of interest, but I think this project is going to be called Hintonburg Station, like the condos by the same developer and architect on Richmond were called Westboro Station. I was at the initial presentation to the community and I recall them having that name in one of the renderings. Another silly thing I remembered was that people really opposed the height of this building. The developer said they wanted to preserve the old school building, but people (one was the neighbourhood representative for Heritage Ottawa) said they would be in favour of demolishing the heritage building if it meant they would build a shorter condo building. They ticked me off and stuck with me for a while.

Odawa Native Friendship Centre by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:46 AM
R2-D2's army of death

And so it begins...

...The time of the "wall of skyscrapers" has come to Scott Street...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 6:34 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Indeed the overall project is now called Hintonburg Station. And the first phase of the project, the 9-loft schoolhouse redevelopment, is called Yard & Station.

More information here:
http://www.yardandstation.com

I tried to rename this thread to "Hintonburg Station (12 Stirling Ave) | 53m | 17 fl | Proposed", but wasn't able to.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:23 PM

Glad to finally see a building preserved. And that guy from Heritage Ottawa should get the boot!

As for the name, not a fan. The whole "Whatever Station" thing is extremely confusing, especially when a building is so close to transit stations with completely different names.

At least it's not named for a station 1 km down the line from the nearest station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa