HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
PS: Rode by there again today (ride the 5-Fulton a lot). Not much seems to change over the months. If they are opening in August, at least on the outside it looks like they have a lot to do.
Given that their website shows them universally "sold out" for all of August and September, and yet October 1 is perfectly available, I think this a subtle signal that they are nowhere near ready for August and are falling behind, but don't want to formally announce it.

I too am hoping this will be a game changer. We live at NEMA and while we love the building, we are definitely hoping this and the Hayes Street project add some more energy to the area. The Oak/Van Ness/Market cluster certainly will, but that's a ways off from being finished.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 2:13 AM

150 Van Ness Avenue - Polk St. Side

Windows and gray panels on the Polk Street side of 150 Van Ness.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WmsiZ4]150 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco[/url

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 11:03 PM

22 Franklin Street

A blue crane recently was installed. This one will be 8 stories.

22 Franklin St. San Francisco

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:33 AM
heavy user of walkability

a few developments notable not so much for their size, but their location in the western third of the City...

this one at 2800 Sloat, across from the Zoo

the other, literally-transit-oriented, side

and this one next to the former Alexandria Theater on 18th Ave near Geary. it didn't look to me like anything was being done with the theater itself yet

and SF State is getting a significant new building they're calling a wellness center, and is for athletics. looking roughly east from the Lake Merced end:

sorry, was lame and didn't get the whole building in one frame. here on the left you can see the trees that mark the edge of the main campus. Park Merced is in the far distance

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 11:05 AM

other random things...

the carnage that is Moscone Center

couple views of the alley next to the new Hotel Via across from the ballpark (where in the pics a crowd has gathered for the unveiling of a Barry Bonds plaque).

the hotel on the former site of the McDonald's (Third and Townsend) will soon be showing above the fences already, looks like

in Dogpatch, Abaca's Tennessee St sidewalk is getting some landscaping

one redeeming aspect of this project is that it is providing a mid-block passage between Third and Tennessee Streets that is supposed to be historically referential to the pier that occupied the site when it was a long, waterfront rope-making facility. (and apparently the building is trying hard in this respect in other ways - 'abaca' is not just a marketing name, as I had assumed in my ignorance, for example - it's a kind of fiber used in rope.) it's hard to make it out in this shadowed pic, but it will be here on the northern end of the current building

more of the southern Indiana St project has been uncovered, and some balconies added (which for the moment look sort of jarring; hope they get painted or something)

the other half of the project still has a ways to go

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:07 PM

I sometimes wonder to myself.... will construction/development in San Francisco ever slow down? I just feel like there are so many projects there and units will continue to renovate.

Or if there will be more 600'+ high rises once all the current projects are finished.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and SF State is getting a significant new building they're calling a wellness center, and is for athletics. looking roughly east from the Lake Merced end:
Wellness center is what they call school gyms now. City College built one maybe 10 years ago now.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:55 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Wellness center is what they call school gyms now. City College built one maybe 10 years ago now.
It's a student recreation center, something the SF State campus has always lacked. The old Gym off of the Quad will continue to be used for athletics, including the basketball team.

That's University Park South behind and (out of sight) around the new building. It's all part of the six blocks with 267 apartments that the university bought from Park Merced, starting in the early 2000s. The site of the Wellness Center was originally Park Merced's recreational field, tennis courts, basketball half courts, parking garage, and Montessori school.

Last edited by viewguysf; Jul 10, 2017 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I sometimes wonder to myself.... will construction/development in San Francisco ever slow down? I just feel like there are so many projects there and units will continue to renovate.

Or if there will be more 600'+ high rises once all the current projects are finished.
Yes and yes.

I have seen many periods when there seemed to be little major development happening. I can even recall when a few projects got shut down midway like 530 Mission. The biggest recent fallow periods were probably 2001-2003 (approximate) and 2008-2012 (approximate). I seems like there was a long period before the late 1990s when not much was going up.

We know of at least 1 building over 600 ft that is still on the planning boards: 550 Howard (aka Transbay Parcel F). But there will likely be others to follow, possibly at "The Hub" (although I believe the tallest building currently planned there is 1 S. Van Ness at 600 ft).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:19 PM

timbad, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the pictures you're constantly posting to the San Francisco threads.

It really adds a lot to the conversation and allows many to keep up with progress.

Greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
timbad, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the pictures you're constantly posting to the San Francisco threads.

It really adds a lot to the conversation and allows many to keep up with progress.

Greatly appreciated.
indeed!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Yes and yes.

I have seen many periods when there seemed to be little major development happening. I can even recall when a few projects got shut down midway like 530 Mission. The biggest recent fallow periods were probably 2001-2003 (approximate) and 2008-2012 (approximate). I seems like there was a long period before the late 1990s when not much was going up.

We know of at least 1 building over 600 ft that is still on the planning boards: 550 Howard (aka Transbay Parcel F). But there will likely be others to follow, possibly at "The Hub" (although I believe the tallest building currently planned there is 1 S. Van Ness at 600 ft).
That's if you don't count the high-rise boom of the late 70's to mid-80's -under mayor Dianne Feinstein. This was the period referred to as the "Manhattanization" of the downtown. That led to an opposition movement and the Downtown Plan in 1985 which put the kiabosh on growth. But it would probably have slowed way down anyway because of Black Monday (October of 1987 when the stock markets around the world crashed). That of course was followed two years later by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Even the dot-com boom of the late 1990s didn't produce much in way of tangible results.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:27 AM

I don't comment on the photos but I sure as hell love seeing it posted in threads. Thanks timbad, it's very much appreciated!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
That's if you don't count the high-rise boom of the late 70's to mid-80's -under mayor Dianne Feinstein. This was the period referred to as the "Manhattanization" of the downtown. That led to an opposition movement and the Downtown Plan in 1985 which put the kiabosh on growth. But it would probably have slowed way down anyway because of Black Monday (October of 1987 when the stock markets around the world crashed). That of course was followed two years later by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Even the dot-com boom of the late 1990s didn't produce much in way of tangible results.
Don't forget Prop M.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Don't forget Prop M.
Yeah, but the development gaps seems related more to economic conditions or other factors than Prop. M because Prop. M affects only commercial buildings and during the periods mentioned (and others) there wasn't much residential development either. In reality, I think we've reached the Prop. M caps only for short periods before recession brought building to a halt. Right now I think we either have just reached it or are just about to.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:42 AM

^^^ this

Quote:
Don't forget Prop M.
How could I have forgot about that? But since the crash occurred one year later, followed by a minor recession, followed by the quake I don't think those measures actually played as big of role in the slowdown as people imagine.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
^^^ this

How could I have forgot about that? But since the crash occurred one year later, followed by a minor recession, followed by the quake I don't think those measures actually played as big of role in the slowdown as people imagine.
How you can cite the Downtown Plan and at the same time discount Prop M, the repudiation of the Downtown Plan, is beyond me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:54 AM

Quote:
How you can cite the Downtown Plan and at the same time discount Prop M, the repudiation of the Downtown Plan, is beyond me.
It is beyond you apparently because that isn't what I was doing, like at all.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
... It's all part of the six blocks with 267 apartments that the university bought from Park Merced, starting in the early 2000s. The site of the Wellness Center was originally Park Merced's recreational field, tennis courts, basketball half courts, parking garage, and Montessori school.
thanks for the additional info, particularly for the reminder of what used to be there. I was racking my brain and couldn't remember (former Park Merced resident in another lifetime)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
S.F. planning chief says development boom may have peaked
Jul 10, 2017, 2:44pm PDT

Roland Li
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

. . . This is the first year in six years where (the Planning Dept. is) not growing because our applications and our revenues have leveled off. They've leveled off at a record high level, but we haven't grown this year, for the first time since 2010. Our budget hit $50 million for the first time. Our peak was really the year before last.

. . . we had a 50 percent increase in the number of projects that have come through in the last five, six years. The volume has gone up tremendously.

It seems to be the biggest boom at least since World War II, perhaps since the earthquake, in terms of number of units and amount of projects. At any given time, there's about 1,000 projects in process. That's everything from highrise to somebody's house addition.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...373&j=78533301

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations