HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 12:30 PM

So glad you enjoyed yourself. Have you checked out the Terminal at all? The atrium is pretty cool.

Re: the Song 757's. I just flew one home from LAX, and the seatback IES that Delta will be introducing throughout the fleet blew me away. I can't wait until it's system-wide.

Question for you Lexy - Now that you've seen the operation here in person, can you understand how some of us get touchy when people claim this is nothing more than a connecting airport? To anyone that see's Hartsfield in person, the huge O&D traffic is pretty obvious - don't you think?

Please don't think that I am referring to you making those observations. It's usually Chicago people that make it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:03 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post

Question for you Lexy - Now that you've seen the operation here in person, can you understand how some of us get touchy when people claim this is nothing more than a connecting airport? To anyone that see's Hartsfield in person, the huge O&D traffic is pretty obvious - don't you think?

Please don't think that I am referring to you making those observations. It's usually Chicago people that make it.
Oh i've always felt that the O&D in Atlanta was big. It's just the reliance on having to go through there as a passenger that would seem a bit "old". But it makes sense in the long run and as long as it continues to benefit the customer then it's fine by me. The thing I have is the fact that this airport here in my town doesn't get a real fair shake out of the airlines and that's too bad (probably because of Southwest). But perhaps someday that will change. Eitherway, Hartsfield is a nice airport and for a photographer it's an airplane paradise. LOL!!

On a side note: I have seen the O'Hare vs Hartsfield debates on here and other places. They are not a pretty sight to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:30 AM

so i flew United on Tuesday from Dulles to St. Louis...flight was 2.5 hrs delayed! We'll see what happens tomorrow on my flight back. I'm also flying from IAD-ATL next week on United Express, so hopefully that will go smoother. getting up at 430 am sucks when your flight is delayed that badly.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:45 AM

I love airplanes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:53 AM

umm, ok. Good!

btw, great shots Lexy! I work out of ATL and it's awesome to see those Euro birds....I didn't realise that Air France had the 744 back in service...but I guess it's summer time so that makes sense. I miss the South African 747 that used to come here.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
umm, ok. Good!

btw, great shots Lexy! I work out of ATL and it's awesome to see those Euro birds....I didn't realise that Air France had the 744 back in service...but I guess it's summer time so that makes sense. I miss the South African 747 that used to come here.
Yep, SAA and JAL too. I was at Hartsfield one day when it was hot like it is now and that JAL 747 used every inch of the runway to get airborne.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Yep, SAA and JAL too. I was at Hartsfield one day when it was hot like it is now and that JAL 747 used every inch of the runway to get airborne.
I got a picture of that (well, it wasn't the same JAL bird as you may have seen, but none the less) JAL 747 here in Nashville one night. It diverted here due to inclement weather in ATL and spent about two hours on the ground here. I was really, REALLY lucky to have gotten this parked at BNA.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 12:38 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
That would be exciting to watch! Runway length issues like that remind me of Key West. I fly out of there often. I'm not sure which aircraft Delta uses (I'm not in the industry), but they get right to the beginning of the runway, gun the engines with the brakes on, then release the brakes! The jet lurches forward and becomes airborne moments before the runway melts away into ocean just below the jet! They're also always carefully monitoring every pound of payload going on to those jets. The whole process is both scary and exciting at the same time!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I got a picture of that (well, it wasn't the same JAL bird as you may have seen, but none the less) JAL 747 here in Nashville one night. It diverted here due to inclement weather in ATL and spent about two hours on the ground here. I was really, REALLY lucky to have gotten this parked at BNA.
Well, the 747 I saw was a few years back and was passenger, not cargo. Still, not much dif between the two when it's 102 and 65% humidity. All I know is by the time the wheels got off the ground, the plane didn't ascend all that much more and probably gave a few people a heart attack on I-75 near the Ford plant as that sucker "skimmed" the horizon. I was on Loop Road near the end of 27R and I could see the damn rivets on the thing.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 12:21 AM

^Even more reason they need to do as planned and lengthen that runway to 13,300 ft.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:49 PM
Atlanta Native

Found this little goody today while combing through the internet. It is an interview with the DFW CEO and he talks about all that DFW has done to improve the passenger travel experience. Below is an excerpt from that interview.

Jeff Fegan: It all started in 2000. We put together a customer service audit team, made up of 10 people from our senior staff. They went through every customer experience that passengers had at DFW. They identified a number of things to do to improve customer service issues. We addressed many of them through our capital improvement plan. For example, the connection between terminals was horrible and SkyLink was built to address that, and it's now the best large hub connect system in the world. We built a new international terminal building and that set the stage for the look and feel at DFW. We added shopping and dining, and we continue to do that. We do a lot of surveys. We had customer complaints about the quality of our restrooms, so we're spending $45 million to upgrade them in Terminals A, B, C and E.

I have flown in and out of DFW a few times and I fly out of ATL often and I can tell you that their SkyLink is no match for our Terminal Train. I guarantee you that if you started both trains at Terminal A and started them running at the same time to Terminal C our ATL train would win by a mile. As big and bulky as ATL is it is very efficient. Below is the link to the entire article.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...20Jeff%20Fegan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post

I have flown in and out of DFW a few times and I fly out of ATL often and I can tell you that their SkyLink is no match for our Terminal Train. I guarantee you that if you started both trains at Terminal A and started them running at the same time to Terminal C our ATL train would win by a mile. As big and bulky as ATL is it is very efficient. Below is the link to the entire article.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...20Jeff%20Fegan
Skylink??? WTF? Is that it's name? I have news for this dude, DFW is an airport to be avoided at all costs. Connecting or originating.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:38 AM

i had an incredible time flying in and out of st louis last week with United Express. Hours upon hours of delays, ultimately 2 canceled flights and a lot of time sitting in the airport. Hey at least I got to fly to O'Hare and fly on a 767-300 to Dulles!

Flying United again from Dulles to Atlanta tomorrow....lets hope there are no delays this time!!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 8:39 AM

^It goes without saying, if you have a choice between ORD, DFW, or ATL... go through ATL.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:01 AM
Atlanta Native

Well Delta now has a new CEO and has announced the lineup of the new management team.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...elta_0908.html

Now we just wait and see what happens.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 6:03 PM

ATLANTA'S INCREASING NUMBERS OF INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS

Rank Airport Jan.-June 2007 Jan.-June 2006 % Change
1 Miami 2.3 million 2.2 million 5.6%
2 Atlanta 1.96 million 1.7 million 12.5%
3 NYJFK 1.86 million 1.6 million 12.4%
4 Newark 1.8 million 1.6 million 9.3%
5 O'Hare 1.6 million 1.6 million 1.5%

International traffic surges at airport

By JIM THARPE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/14/07

Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is increasingly becoming a major gateway for passengers boarding flights for other countries, according to numbers reported Thursday by the federal government.

Atlanta's airport had one of the fastest rates of international passenger growth in the nation for the first six months of this year, according to numbers compiled by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The numbers show international traffic at Hartsfield-Jackson jumped 12.5 percent over the same six-month period the year before.

The new figures come as the city gets ready to unveil plans for a new billion-dollar international terminal — scheduled for a 2011 opening — and on the heels of this month's arrival of new Delta Air Lines CEO Richard H. Anderson, who has touted international flights as the Atlanta-based carrier's route to prosperity. Delta uses Hartsfield-Jackson as its main hub and accounts for more than 70 percent of its flights.

"Atlanta is the international heart of Delta, and it will continue to be," said Delta spokesman Kent Landers. "We look forward to the construction of a new international terminal that will allow us to expand on the 63 international markets we've added to Atlanta in the last decade."

Delta only had 17 international destinations from Hartsfield-Jackson when the 1996 Olympics came to town — it now has 80 to five continents. From all of its U.S. hubs, Delta serves 109 international destinations, Landers said.

More than 1.96 million passengers boarded international flights at Hartsfield-Jackson from January through June of this year, ranking it No. 2 in the nation behind Miami for the total number of "international enplanements," according to the DOT. About 2.3 million international passengers boarded flights in Miami, which saw a 5.6 percent increase in international passengers.

Only Los Angeles International Airport, which ranks eight nationally in the total number of international passengers served, had a stronger growth rate than Hartsfield-Jackson. The Los Angeles airport saw international passenger growth surge by 13.9 percent to 906,000.

Hartsfield-Jackson already is ranked the No. 1 airport in the world for total passengers — estimated to be 86 million this year — and has been steadily adding to its international total as Delta has begun to aggressively add new international flights.

"International is clearly the future of Delta," Landers said.

The airline, which emerged from bankruptcy earlier this year, has added about 33 international routes from Hartsfield-Jackson since 2005. Delta is now trying to secure two routes to mainland China, one of which would begin next year.

The increase in the number of international flights this summer from Hartsfield-Jackson at times overwhelmed gate capacity at the current international terminal, which was constructed for the '96 Olympics.

Landers said "a handful" of departing Delta international flights had to use gates on Concourse T during busy afternoons during the peak of the summer travel season.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Sep 14, 2007 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 6:25 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
ATLANTA'S INCREASING NUMBERS OF INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS

Rank Airport Jan.-June 2007 Jan.-June 2006 % Change
1 Miami 2.3 million 2.2 million 5.6%
2 Atlanta 1.96 million 1.7 million 12.5%
3 NYJFK 1.86 million 1.6 million 12.4%
4 Newark 1.8 million 1.6 million 9.3%
5 O'Hare 1.6 million 1.6 million 1.5%

International traffic surges at airport.
It is important to note that MIA, JFK, EWR, and ORD have these impressive number of international passengers due to many multiple carriers in those cities. Where as in ATL there is really only Delta, Korean, Air France, and British Airways. Also the other airports have multiple domestic legacy carriers launching international flights from the same airport. Whereas in ATL Delta is the only domestic legacy carrier with international flights. It never ceases to amaze me just how big a footprint Delta has in ATL.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It is important to note that MIA, JFK, EWR, and ORD have these impressive number of international passengers due to many multiple carriers in those cities. Where as in ATL there is really only Delta, Korean, Air France, and British Airways. Also the other airports have multiple domestic legacy carriers launching international flights from the same airport. Whereas in ATL Delta is the only domestic legacy carrier with international flights. It never ceases to amaze me just how big a footprint Delta has in ATL.
Actually, these numbers are based entirely on domestic airlines only. The entire article is wrong. I e-mailed the author about it, and they "corrected" the article, but it still reads very poorly.

When you add international airlines into the mix, it is a very different story:

2006 International traffic for combined domestic and international airlines:
1) JFK - 20.0M
2) LA - 16.9M
3) Miami - 14.7M
4) O'Hare - 11.6M
5) Newark - 10.2M
6) San Francisco - 8.4M
7) Atlanta - 8.1M
8) Houston - 7.4M
9) Dallas - 5.7M
10) DC/Dulles - 5.2M
11) Honolulu - 4.1M
12) Boston - 4.0M
13) Philadelphia 4.0M
14) Detroit - 2.9M
15) Seattle - 2.5M
16) Ft. Lauderdale - 2.4M
17) Las Vegas - 2.2M
18) Orlando - 2.1M
19) Charlotte - 2.0M
20) Denver - 1.9M
21) Phoenix - 1.7M
22) Minneapolis - 1.6M
23) LaGuardia - 1.3M
24) Sanford, Florida - 1.0M
25) Cincinnati - 0.9M
http://www.miami-airport.com/html/pa..._rankings.html

International airlines have huge footprints at JFK, MIA, and LAX. Qantas, for example, has as many as six daily flights to Los Angeles; Avianca operates seven daily flights to Miami; British Airways' has eight daily flights to JFK. At MIA and JFK, believe it or not, British Airways carriers more passengers than United does!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I think you're mostly right, but United has a flight directly to FRA from ATL, NW/KLM have direct flights to AMS and American may have a flight to London from ATL (they used to, anyways...).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:32 PM

Tombstoner - United codeshares on the Lufthansa flight to Frankfort - it is really operated by Lufthansa metal, not United. Same thing with NW/KLM - it is operated by KLM, NW codeshares on it.

American has never flown from Atlanta to London, just BA & Delta (and British Caledonian back in the day.....)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta