HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
It says here that "The new 12-gate facility will connect via the Automated People Mover System to the existing 28-gate international concourse E, creating a 40-gate international air travel complex at Hartsfield-Jackson."

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...n_Maynard.aspx

So why would any other ground transportation be needed?
The idea behind the new international terminal is to eliminate the baggage re-check process within concourse E. The underground people-mover is inside security, so having to use it means having to re-check bags anyway. My guess is that immigration and customs will be moved exclusively to the new international terminal, or the existing facilities within concourse E will be connected seamlessly with those in concourse F in a way that will eliminate the need for re-check.

That all said, I think the best solution to this issue is to allow arriving international passengers the option of rechecking their bags even if their final destination is ATL, so they can get to the west side of the airport. Shuttle buses could also complement this for those who don't want to re-check.

Departing international passengers who use MARTA to get to the airport or those that need to return rental cars should be given the option of international check-in at the existing west-side terminal complex.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 3:13 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
Who calls ATL airport HJAIA? Only those who maybe try to make some sort of political statement.

The acronym/code for Atlanta's airport is ATL. It is also known as Hartsfield-Jackson as it is described in the slide show that you cited.

The full name is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. But only a little research would show that one of the airports (actually the first I googled from the list you cited) has a full name of Minneapolis-St.Paul International/Wold-Chamberlain Airport. Is that name more "awkward"? Will that make its acronym MSPIWCA?

I really didn't googled anything more to illustrate my point until I goodled the one that you thought was cool and it's full name is Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport....isn't Sky Harbor and Airport kinda redundant?

Thanks for the list though. You could have (probably should have) just left it at that.
Did not expect that. So I guess Atlanta can't even claim the awkwardness honor?

Lets do a full statistical analysis on the level of awkwardness of airport names. Thats the only way this very important matter can be solved.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
My guess is that immigration and customs will be moved exclusively to the new international terminal, or the existing facilities within concourse E will be connected seamlessly with those in concourse F in a way that will eliminate the need for re-check.

You know, I hadn't thought much about that, but my guess would be that they'll keep the current immigration and customs facilities and add another at the new terminal. Otherwise, a passenger arriving at an existing E gate would have to schlepp on foot through a tunnel to a new immigration/customs area, since they wouldn't have been cleared for using the people mover. Alternatively, if the facilities are only kept in the new location, they do it in reverse, then backtrack to the terminal.

I agree, though, that for international passengers ending in Atlanta, it's a huge improvement. I just had to write a detailed instruction sheet for a group of folks coming from Europe next month that don't speak any English.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
That all said, I think the best solution to this issue is to allow arriving international passengers the option of rechecking their bags even if their final destination is ATL, so they can get to the west side of the airport. Shuttle buses could also complement this for those who don't want to re-check.
I thought about this as a solution but I don't think it would be more convenient to recheck, take to people mover, and claim luggage again than to just take a shuttle.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 6:11 PM

Well, if anybody was planning on needing their weapon at the airport right away at least the legislature passed the dang bill, but I still don't see where Perdue has signed it yet.

Bill allowing guns in airports passes state Legislature

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:01 AM
Atlanta Native

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 5:13 PM

Virtual Tour of the New International Terminal

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 7:56 PM
Reliable Source

http://www.ajc.com/business/mayor-na...or-597648.html

All these guys are being investigated by legal authorities for various reasons. Not to say they're guilty of any wrongdoing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 8:19 PM

Well, why in tarnation would you get three of them who is already up on charges.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 2:33 AM
Reliable Source

Another rip-off to line the pockets of the Atlanta political class at the expense of everyone else

http://www.ajc.com/business/airport-...to-597725.html

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:00 PM

New leases fund international terminal

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 8:40 PM

Miller named new Hartsfield GM

Louis Miller, former executive director and CEO of Tampa International Airport, on Monday was named general manager at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced Miller’s appointment at a press conference Monday afternoon.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Another rip-off to line the pockets of the Atlanta political class at the expense of everyone else

http://www.ajc.com/business/airport-...to-597725.html
Fiorenza, there's a white man running the airport now. I'm waiting to read another one of your asinine remarks about: "Atlanta's political class" lining their pockets with cash?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Fiorenza, there's a white man running the airport now. I'm waiting to read another one of your asinine remarks about: "Atlanta's political class" lining their pockets with cash?
Well, what if he comes back and says, well, who hired the man and who is his boss.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 5:17 PM
Reliable Source

BFS, the way we see it Mayor Reed is a pragmatic guy, and who knows what he had to deal with in considering the three candidates?

Based on his past commonsense consensus-making behavior at the statehouse, I'm optimistic he will mainly try to stay clear of the aforementioned corrupt "political class", which if he can do so would keep him out of trouble with the reform elements of both races and parties. Time will tell.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Sep 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 5:36 PM
Reliable Source

Give the white man a chance. We're all God's children.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:30 PM

Southwest coming to Atlanta

Quote:
Southwest Airlines is buying AirTran Airways for $1.4 billion, giving Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport passengers more options for low-cost tickets without the fees other airlines have adopted.

AirTran has about 202 departures daily out of Atlanta, which would be the third-largest operation in Southwest’s network, behind Las Vegas and Chicago Midway, according to AirTran.
http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...or-639413.html

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Sep 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:57 PM

Airport Bond Deal Closes

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:20 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson still # 1

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:57 PM

Harstfield plans sleeping lounge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta