HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 4:37 AM

I would imagine the same restrictions would apply to any development along the riverwalk portion. Once the riverwalk gets developed in that area the property along it becomes valuable. More than likely there are already plans for development in this area. Something like this usually doesn't just pop-up out of the blue.

Also, I seem to remember at&t getting approval some months back to build a parking garage in that area. Maybe they just needed the extra parking, or maybe there are plans for one of the existing parking lots?

I wouldn't be surprised if the 150 rooms is a hotel already planned near at&t. If they plan to stick around, it would be nice to spruce up their downtown campus with nearby hotel for visitors.

This could certainly take a few years. Look how long it has taken Houston Street to develop (and it's still going).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 5:27 AM
Endless Moments...

Hmm, well one thing u have to look at is the RIO guidelines for that area, but as well all know "RIO Guidelines" dont mean nothing. (Earl Able Condos). That will dictate the hieght limit in that area. But with the at&t buildings in that area, i think they could reach a resonable hieght limit.

I remember seeing some plans for some mid rises in a couple of empty lots, that had some height, dont know what ever happend to them. Never the less, it would intresting to see what kind of projects come to light over the next few months.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asobi Seksu View Post
I don't. Victory is a nice development, but its a suburban development built in a urban setting.
I hope you are kidding, Victory is an amazing devlopment, not suburban in nature at all. In fact I would call it anti-suburban. With the W hotel open, victory tower going up. It's as urban as downtown dallas is now, and density will only increase once woodall rodgers is decked and uptown/victory and downtown become one contiguous area.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 7:56 AM

Quote:
First off, that's her "opinion" on how River North should look. She never said it can't have height, just not look generic. Also, I watched the council meeting on channel 20 and I listened to her say that and I don't believe she ever said "downtown." She was only talking about River North and for the developments in River North not to be boxy as if it were any other development in any other city (she used Seattle and Baltimore).

Second, where do you get the 10 story number? There is no set height for developments as of now, and unless there is one put in place a developer could build as big as they wanted to. However, they'd have to build something mixed-use. Andres Andujar who helped visualizes River North as well as champion its birth has labeled this a mid-rise area, but that's his vision. Unless its put into zoning height that all developments be mid-rise or smaller, height enthusiasts shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Third and last, who cares of its all mid-rise. If what expected happens, this will be something beyond words. An urban and dense residential district with the Riverwalk smack in the middle, something for San Antonian’s and not tourists directly inside the downtown area. We've never had that but for some reason because you feel there won't be any height in future projects so you give River North a thumb down. My friend, if skyscrapers are what keep you functioning in life I suggest you move to Las Vegas or Miami.

I can’t tell you how extremely thrilled I am about River North.
This is SA are you a native? If so you'll know nothing "great" will become of this in terms of height. And to be honest I really only care about a good looking skyline. Because thats what outsiders first think when they think of a city most of the time. Is a certain peice of architecture or a skyline. There is a lot to be proved hopefully this turns into something nice. But with the way the "important people" are talking ie. gov't authorities and developers are talking, i don't see anything tall coming out of this.

And last time I checked the url of this website is forum.skyscraperpage.com I could careless about the next big retailer or big box store or 8 story building being built. I care about skyscrapers, and density and having a tall kick ass downtown skyline. And trust me, i wouldn't move to miami or lv for that. I'd move to chicago. SA needs to keep up with the jones'. And it's hard for certain "locals" (who are most likely actually transplants to believe that) We are behind the times. Just compare austin to us. Don't be bias.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 8:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
This is SA are you a native? If so you'll know nothing "great" will become of this in terms of height. And to be honest I really only care about a good looking skyline. Because thats what outsiders first think when they think of a city most of the time. Is a certain peice of architecture or a skyline. There is a lot to be proved hopefully this turns into something nice. But with the way the "important people" are talking ie. gov't authorities and developers are talking, i don't see anything tall coming out of this.

And last time I checked the url of this website is forum.skyscraperpage.com I could careless about the next big retailer or big box store or 8 story building being built. I care about skyscrapers, and density and having a tall kick ass downtown skyline. And trust me, i wouldn't move to miami or lv for that. I'd move to chicago. SA needs to keep up with the jones'. And it's hard for certain "locals" (who are most likely actually transplants to believe that) We are behind the times. Just compare austin to us. Don't be bias.

What have any developers said about River North? To date, nothing.

You care about density. My friend, this will be insanely dense, insanely. And when I said move to Miami or Las Vegas, I mean in terms of how many skyscrapers they're building. If you want that, go.

Look, I am at the extreme opposite pendulum of you. I could care less about how high ones skyline is. Why? Because you can't experience a skyline, you can only see it. You experience what's at street level. If there are multiple high-rises in River North, fantastic. If there isn't and its 10-15 story build after 10-15 story building that's even better. Skyscrapers doesn't make a city, it only defines its downtown look. That's it.

People who visit a downtown don’t go: “Man, it sure sucked on the street but boy those tall buildings made it worth being there.”

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:53 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
And trust me, i wouldn't move to miami or lv for that. I'd move to chicago.

I would love to move to Miami, at least for a couple of years, he he. Hmm a condo on the 40 floor over looking biscayne bay and DT Miami, and south beach...

Party it Up...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 4:54 PM

Quote:
What have any developers said about River North? To date, nothing.

You care about density. My friend, this will be insanely dense, insanely. And when I said move to Miami or Las Vegas, I mean in terms of how many skyscrapers they're building. If you want that, go.

Look, I am at the extreme opposite pendulum of you. I could care less about how high ones skyline is. Why? Because you can't experience a skyline, you can only see it. You experience what's at street level. If there are multiple high-rises in River North, fantastic. If there isn't and its 10-15 story build after 10-15 story building that's even better. Skyscrapers doesn't make a city, it only defines its downtown look. That's it.

People who visit a downtown don’t go: “Man, it sure sucked on the street but boy those tall buildings made it worth being there.”
Why are you a member on a skyscraper page?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Why are you a member on a skyscraper page?
I normally like to stay out of these things..... but I had the same thought!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
James

He's a member here because some people who enjoy architecture and tall buildings, also like to discuss upcoming developments in their city. Look, Asobi has his opinions, just as you have yours, and vice versa.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
21bl0wed- And trust me, i wouldn't move to miami or lv for that. I'd move to chicago. SA needs to keep up with the jones'. And it's hard for certain "locals" (who are most likely actually transplants to believe that) We are behind the times. Just compare austin to us. Don't be bias.
San Antonio needs to have it's own identity and not look or try to be like other cities. It's my opinion that our downtown is unique compared to other Texas cities. However, I like you would like to see more high rises in and around downtown.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 12:31 AM

Why was Asobi banned?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 5:53 AM

I tend to agree with Asobi in that skyscrapers are nice to look at, but what really matters, especially to the city, is who will be going to and populating the downtown area so we might have the chance at more and hopefully some highrise development.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 8:38 AM

Cool

this article: http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...l?surround=lfn

concerns a building in the river north district.

Quote:

Equastone has purchased the downtown property One Riverwalk Place. The building spans 261,431 square feet of space at 700 N. St. Mary's.

In other news, locally based Cambridge Realty Group Inc. has been tapped by Equastone to handle leasing and management of the property. One Riverwalk was 69 percent occupied, according to the Fourth Quarter 2006 issue of the Business Journal's Commercial Real Estate Journal.

The purchase price was not disclosed.

One Riverwalk marks Equastone's third purchase in San Antonio. Last year, the company purchased Tetco Tower, which spans 256,282-square feet at 1777 NE Loop 410 in Northeast San Antonio. Also in 2005, Equastone became the owner of One International Centre, which encompasses 298,943 square feet at 100 NE Loop 410 on the city's North Central Side.

One Riverwalk will serve as the major office component for the River North Expansion Development project -- a redevelopment of 194 acres of land bordered by Interstate 37 to the east, I-35 to the north, 4th Avenue to the south, and North St. Mary's Street to the west.

Equastone is a La Jolla, Calif.-based real estate investment advisory firm.
This really sucks guys, this could mean we won't get getting even one decent sized office building out of the river north deal.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:59 PM
Endless Moments...

Were are you reading that there wont be any decent sized office building out of the river north deal? I read the article yesterday and from what I gathered from it was that, they were just going to use that building as a point of operation to facilitate the development of that area. I could be wrong, but thats what i thought? Any others out there, please comment...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 3:58 PM
Meh

Whenever I hear talk of a lot of acres of land being occupied by one development that usually raises a red flag that the buildings will be short. A single skyscraper which occupies one block might take up 1.5 acres at best, but 194 acres would be quite a large area, possibly an entire neighborhood.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:48 AM

Hi everyone, brand new board member here. I'm a resident of downtown SA, so I've got a definite interest in River North.

I think probably the best opportunity for something tall to be built in this area is close to the AT&T buildings at McCulloch and St. Mary's streets (in the southern part of the area). Right now, they're spread around in various buildings in downtown. I know several people who work there who point out how annoying it is to have to walk a nontrivial distance to another building for a meeting. They may well want to consolidate more into one campus. There is a good sized parcel that is currently vacant right next to one of their buildings. (Whether it's available, I don't know. I seem to recall some dilapidated housing (public?) being demolished there about 8-10 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissspice View Post
Hi everyone, brand new board member here. I'm a resident of downtown SA, so I've got a definite interest in River North.

I think probably the best opportunity for something tall to be built in this area is close to the AT&T buildings at McCulloch and St. Mary's streets (in the southern part of the area). Right now, they're spread around in various buildings in downtown. I know several people who work there who point out how annoying it is to have to walk a nontrivial distance to another building for a meeting. They may well want to consolidate more into one campus. There is a good sized parcel that is currently vacant right next to one of their buildings. (Whether it's available, I don't know. I seem to recall some dilapidated housing (public?) being demolished there about 8-10 years ago.
I used to work for SAHA (San Antonio Housing Authority) back in the day and while I havent checked the tax rolls, I believe SAHA still owns that land. The employee association still sells parking spots there during fiesta events to raise money for its scholarship program, and I bought parking there from them this past April, so I'm sure that they still own it.

Those apartments were a senior residence. The initial plans were to rebuild a new senior development there; however after they were torn down, the government funding formula for new developments changed, as did federal maximum density limits for public housing. Basically, for a property that size, they'd be limited to putting 20 or 30 units, which dosent make sense for them. And the federal government is now all about putting developments (we couldnt call them projects) all over the community, not just concentrated in the urban core (anyone remember the Tala Vera issue a few months back - its the new regulations in action). SAHA had promised the seniors that they could come back as soon as the new property was built. Now that the federal funding dried up, they have a valeuable property, but only two options; either develop market-rate apartments/retail/office and become a regular developer, or sell the property for a buttload of cash and use it to supplement operations/develop new properties elsewhere.

I agree it would be a great place for AT&T's new HQ, but I like density, and think that there would be even better places closer-in downtown. Fill in some of those gaps you see coming into downton on 281.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 8:39 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

You all are forgetting that the River North zone covers 194 acres but the vast majority of that is already developed. It's not like the city just decided to turn a 200 acre park into a DT subdivision. There will be many opportunities for upward expansion. Think of the work at Pearl Brewery. Rehab existing structures and plan on building up a few new ones. Plus, with the work going on now at Broadway/Hildebrand, the first domino has fallen.

I expect great things...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:14 PM
Bears of antiquity

Gift horse, guys

Hopefully it'll become as dense as a lot of DT SA is... but taller. Much. Much. Much. ... much taller.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 11:33 PM

I think that this happened at all shows that there is already some interest and planning for the area. (Of course there would be with the riverwalk expansion). However, it will take many years to start to see real changes.

Think of Houston street and how long that redevelopment has taken. Only now is it starting to come together as a whole and it's far from bustling (at least not when I've been there).
How long has Houston street been in development? 10 years? When did they narrow Houston to 2 lanes?

How long do they expect the river expansion to take?

Anyway, the Pearl Brewery is a good start, the city will likely do some improvements next and then things will start to happen. If Toyota gives the city the kind of economic boost the city hopes it may speed things up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio