HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

pmarella

To lighten up the day.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...emisphere.html

As spire grows higher, 1 WTC is Manhattan's new skyline centerpiece

By Steve Strunsky/The Star-Ledger
February 26, 2013

Quote:
Looking up from across the Hudson, or down from the roof, the view is impressive even to those not easily impressed. With its still-unfinished spire now reaching almost 1,500 feet in the air and rising, One World Trade Center as seen from the New Jersey Turnpike Extension — or many other vantage points in the state’s northeastern corner — stands head and shoulders above surrounding skyscrapers, putting a new peak on the Lower Manhattan skyline that had been missing since Sept. 11.

"When you think of tall buildings and the role they play, it’s that image of the skyline," said Kevin Brass, a spokesman for the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, an international arbiter of building heights. "When you think of the skyline of New York going back before 9/11, it becomes the image of the city, so now the tower is going to create a new image for that city that will be visible for miles."

But if One World Trade Center looks tall from the New Jersey Turnpike Extension, the 360-degree rooftop vista is downright extraterrestrial. To the west, the 780-foot Goldman Sachs Tower in Jersey City, New Jersey’s tallest building, looks like a walk-up. The mighty Hudson River is a mere stream trickling over the horizon, while the jagged line of the majestic Palisades is reduced to a crack in the sidewalk. Even 1 WTC’s only panoramic rival, the Empire State Building, seems far less formidable than from more earthly vantage points. Members of the public will almost be able to see for themselves after the building opens early next year, from a public observatory on the 102nd floor.

Guiding a recent tour of the building, Steve Plate, the man in charge of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, stood on the roof of the tower amid four house-sized air-conditioning units 1,368 feet above Vesey Street, craning his neck to look up.

Guiding a recent tour of the building, Steve Plate, the man in charge of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, stood on the roof of the tower amid four house-sized air-conditioning units 1,368 feet above Vesey Street, craning his neck to look up. With New Jersey, New York and the rest of the Earth falling away from him in every direction, Plate’s attention was fixed on the only people higher in the overcast sky than he was: a crew lowering the latest section of the tower’s concrete rooftop spire into place, raising the tower’s total height to more than 1,470 feet.

Soaring a total of 408 feet above the roof when completed, the tapering, masonry spire will play a significant role in how the tower is viewed by the rest of the world. The completed, 18-piece spire will eventually bring the tower’s overall height to 1,776 feet. Aside from its symbolic reference to the year the United States declared independence, the height could qualify One World Trade Center as the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, if the Council on Tall Buildings declares the spire an architectural element of the tower, and not merely antennae.

By last week, even the unfinished spire had already pole-vaulted 1 WTC’s overall height above the 1,450-foot roof height of the Willis Tower in Chicago, formerly the Sears Tower, the hemisphere’s reigning tallest building. Brass, the building council spokesman, said the group’s height committee will issue a determination after 1 WTC’s official dedication.
http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/wo...est/index.html

augieray

Cisc1970

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:05 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
No 1 wtc is 6 feet taller than the south tower was .
Which is the same height as the north tower.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:07 PM

Wow

Wow! I dont know why I haven't noticed this yet, but looking at those pictures really makes me appreciate One World Trade Centers hight. It really is going to become New York's centerpiece.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:13 PM

Moment of silence at new WTC

All construction stopped around 12:18 this afternoon to remember the victims of the '93 attacks http://abcnews.go.com/US/world-trade...ry?id=18561435

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:32 PM

When does the rest of the spire come in?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:42 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4apple View Post
All construction stopped around 12:18 this afternoon to remember the victims of the '93 attacks http://abcnews.go.com/US/world-trade...ry?id=18561435
Oh, that's right! Today was the 20th anniversary of that horrific event, wasn't it?

I remember when that happened. I remember thinking how awful it would have been had those buildings fallen as a result of the explosion...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The render shows the North tower

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:53 PM

The highest point of the original towers was the top of the hat truss. If you compare the top of the hat truss to the parapet of the new 1 WTC they are the same.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:36 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Original height to roof:
1WTC (north): 1,368 feet to top of hat truss for antenna
2WTC (south) 1,362 feet to top of hat truss for antenna that was never installed, instead converted to a helicopter pad.

New height to roof:
OneWTC: 1,368 feet to top of the perimeter parapet which is 33 ft 4 in tall.

Including antenna/mast and observation platform heights:
1WTC: antenna height 1,727 feet
2WTC: observation platform height 1,377 feet.

OneWTC: spire height 1,776 feet

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:49 PM

Lookin Good!

Can't wait to visit the Observation Deck next year!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:11 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

[/QUOTE]
This is 1 of the nicest photos I've ever seen in this thread,, Is that Goldman Sachs?? (I know it has an official name just can't think of it now, roadcruiser would know) well from thatview looks like it's missing cladding or is it supposed to be lacking cladding to the roof.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:28 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
With the columns of vented glass, 1WTC has a little resemblance to 20 Exchange Place and its three dark arched recesses and columns of windows:

Ever since they did away with the radome and denuded the communications ring, the resemblance is even more uncanny.
Man are we looking at the same bldg,, I see nothing that resembles the new 1WTC are you referring to the old 1 wtc, cause I see nothing at all? color? cladding? antennae? You must be comparing to the fallen 1? Sorry Vandelay, just don't see it: Also seems like CTBUH is climbing on board with the Spire talk, which kinda surprises me that they're from Chicago and would like to save their Sears tower.. On roof height?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Man are we looking at the same bldg,, I see nothing that resembles the new 1WTC are you referring to the old 1 wtc, cause I see nothing at all? color? cladding? antennae? You must be comparing to the fallen 1? Sorry Vandelay, just don't see it: Also seems like CTBUH is climbing on board with the Spire talk, which kinda surprises me that they're from Chicago and would like to save their Sears tower.. On roof height?
Yeah, that building has nothing that even remotely resembles 1 WTC.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:40 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the EarthCam webcams are down. Now we wait.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:48 AM

Why does the Earthcam cameras always go down?? Also I can't wait for their skyline came to come back since Sandy so I can see this majestic skyline with this tower in place!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I see the resemblance. Obviously they dont share the same material and arent the same height but they both have a similar visual language with the vents, taper, and lattice steel antenna/structure thing.

Where did you hear about CTBUH's softening position on the antenna mast?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:09 AM
JoeCooper

Not to sound like a broken record, but I thought with the setback on the one street 1WTC's official roof height is 1,373 feet, five feet taller than the former 1WTC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive