HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 3:11 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Here is a question. With Blockbuster going bust does anyone think that Netflix Canada will now become better? I am not sure what the licensing issues are with Netflix but they have no new release movies. If netflix is to be competitive with sources like Shaw on demand and PPV this NEEDS to change.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Here is a question. With Blockbuster going bust does anyone think that Netflix Canada will now become better? I am not sure what the licensing issues are with Netflix but they have no new release movies. If netflix is to be competitive with sources like Shaw on demand and PPV this NEEDS to change.
I can only see them getting worse not better. The major film studios don't want to do business with Netflix, they'd rather offer their own streaming services.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 4:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Netflix in Canada is positively dreadful. Personally, I'm not too concerned with the lack of new release - we have decades upon decades of material available. I could watch interesting science documentaries 7x24 and still have years worth of enjoyment.

But they just have... nothing, really. Sure, if you like Dr. Who it's great. They seem to have 80 seasons of that. But beyond that - it's garbage. Netflix in the US is amazing and I'd gladly pay $10-20/month for the convenience. I tried the Canadian service out and cancelled it long before my 30 day trial was up. It was that awful.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 5:11 PM

For the price I find Netflix has value, but I also don't have cable so it isn't an add on expense, more of a substitution. Netflix + MLB.TV + NHL once it starts + OTA HD is pretty good and works out to less than $20 a month. Most everything else the networks have on their own site pretty soon afterwards if I really need to see something.

As for it expanding, I don't know, cable is going to really shake up in the next 2 - 3 years since they are being allowed to offer tierless service. If base service is cheap enough that adding on what you acutally watch provides value again it would certainly be harder for streaming services to convert customers wholesale.

If netflix really tries to become ubiquitous it will need to have much deeper pockets. I could see Google or Apple buying them as launching points to get iTunes/google tv off of computers while making them less awful.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 5:26 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I don't mind netflix, I actually find that their TV content and documentaries are quite worth my $8 each month. I just wish that they had some new releases. Watching all of the seasons of Top Gear alone is worth my subscription.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 7:52 PM
Beer me Captain

In case any of the left-wing radicals herein are looking for another comments section to hijack, there's a good article about Nenshi's trip out east in today's G&M. Accompanied of course by the expected type of comments from those not of the "left-wing radical fringe".
Quote:
Calgary mayor lures easterners to ‘Wall Street’ of the West

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is venturing east to sell his city as the best place to live and invest in Canada (hello, Toronto).

link

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 8:35 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Strange article, it seems like it was thrown together in 10 minutes! LOL

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 8:41 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This comment is awesome:

Forbes Magazine :

---"Not all our emerging cities are in the developing or former Communist world. North America boasts at least three genuine emerging world cities: Calgary, in Canada, and Houston and Dallas. These regional economies have been built around energy and expanding industrial power. They also have enjoyed rapid population growth. Last year, Houston and Dallas grew more than any other metropolitan region in the country; over the past decade, their populations have increased six times more rapidly than New York, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Francisco.

Calgary has become Toronto's main challenger for corporate headquarters in Canada, a move sparked not only by oil wealth but lower taxes and regulation. The region now easily boasts the highest per capita income in the country. "---

A flat income tax , no PST and not Liberal with a federal seat in Cowtown in over 40 years.....

The old mantra - " the west wants in"

The new mantra " The west is your boss"

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Hey, I'm getting two tires patched (nail/screw in tire) at Blaskin and Lane, cost $25 each, this is me handing them the dismounted wheel, so no lift involved or anything. Am I paying too much?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
not a NIMBY

I believe Kal Tire fixes flats for free.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I've only had a flat once, and it was beyond repair. went to OK Tire in Duncan, BC and the guy put a like-new tire on and said it was free of charge. Of course I couldn't pay him nothing (I think I gave him $50), but that was pretty nice of him.

Of course, that doesn't answer your question at all.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Hey, I'm getting two tires patched (nail/screw in tire) at Blaskin and Lane, cost $25 each, this is me handing them the dismounted wheel, so no lift involved or anything. Am I paying too much?
It only takes them 30 seconds to lift your car and take the wheel off, so it doesn't really matter. $25 is fairly standard for a regular tire, low profile tires go up to about $50, and run-flat can cost even more.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 2:34 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Seems reasonable. Place has to pay its employees for their time somehow, plus business overhead etc. As mentioned, Kal will often do it for free, especially if you're their customer. And often even if not - they're hoping to MAKE you their customer.

We had to repair over half a dozen flats in the first couple of years of living in a new community - there were always nails and screws in the road. After a while you just end up replacing the damn tire anyway, so Kal ended up wooing us because of all the free patches.

I suppose you could just abuse Kal for free repairs but it seems a bit douchy to me.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:31 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Seems reasonable. Place has to pay its employees for their time somehow, plus business overhead etc. As mentioned, Kal will often do it for free, especially if you're their customer. And often even if not - they're hoping to MAKE you their customer.

We had to repair over half a dozen flats in the first couple of years of living in a new community - there were always nails and screws in the road. After a while you just end up replacing the damn tire anyway, so Kal ended up wooing us because of all the free patches.

I suppose you could just abuse Kal for free repairs but it seems a bit douchy to me.
What is douchy is that contractors dont seem to care about leaving screws and nails everywhere! One of the contractors I worked for always made sure that we cleaned all of our nails up......

rant over!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Oh man, don't get me started. It got so bad that once the neighbourhood got cleaned up, she forbid me driving in any other undeveloped area.

A couple of years later, we'd forgotten about it. Went to check out some new subdivision or another. Woke up the next day to a flat.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:14 PM
City of Blinding Lights

That is a good deal. I paid the same which seems very reasonable.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 5:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Ok cool, I just wanted to make sure.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 11:24 PM
Great White Norf

We're having our Thanksgiving potluck dinner tonight so I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 12:17 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Hope you have a great meal with friends and family, all the best to my fellow SSP'ers on this Thanksgiving weekend!

We'll be having two family meals, one on Sunday and the other on Monday. I'm going to be soooooooooo full by the end of it!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 12:30 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Hope you have a great meal with friends and family, all the best to my fellow SSP'ers on this Thanksgiving weekend!

We'll be having two family meals, one on Sunday and the other on Monday. I'm going to be soooooooooo full by the end of it!
Thanks Bigtime, you too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation