HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did I miss something? I saw 7 "paragraphs" and I use that term very loosely. Seriously, he gets paid for that? Const. Mike Otto? I guess "Const." goes to his word count, so why bother typing Constable.
Worlds Longest and shittiest Haiku.....

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster3 View Post
The parking article really gets my blood boiling. I had the same argument with my brother in Edmonton while we were looking for street parking around the stadium before the World Cup game. I understand that some restrictions are necessary but residents should know that a few times a year they will have parking issues, as the stadium has been there longer than most. In this case, I would probably just keep parking in front of his house to see what his warning was for. He has no legal recourse.
I have the same problem being near mcmahon stadium.. My road gets clogged up when the stamps play(honestly only when the riders play) and my only grip is that if this was to happen to the owners of the vehicles streets they would loose their shit. However I just park where I can and next time i go out after the game, i move my car back.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
I have the same problem being near mcmahon stadium.. My road gets clogged up when the stamps play(honestly only when the riders play) and my only grip is that if this was to happen to the owners of the vehicles streets they would loose their shit. However I just park where I can and next time i go out after the game, i move my car back.
Ya, I used to live there and the only time it pissed me off was when some douchnozzle parked in front of my driveway blocking it off.

We also used to have a fun past time of sitting on the roof drinking beers. For entertainment we'd turn the back-and-forth sprinkler on, and it just may have had some over spray onto the sidewalk. Accidentally, of course. Watching Roughriders fans getting an unexpected shower was always worth it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 5:16 PM
BANNED

Actually I think this is great. I can live with this ratio. The Sun doing their typical anti-MDP, anti-Nenshi etc rant.

http://m.calgarysun.com/2015/11/13/a...i-family-homes
Quote:
HOMES - Real Estate News
Affordability key to rise of multi-family homes
Myke Thomas
Today at 4:00 AM

Calgary’s new homes market has been dominated by multi-family homes, with 14,742 starts in city limits between January 2014 and September 2015. During the same time frame, single-family starts are just 6,740.
It’s a massive reversal in a city that saw 17,187 single-family homes and 16,856 multi-family homes started between January 2010 and December 2013.
Any number of debates could be hosted to explain the rise of multis, with arguments such as shorter commutes, a lock-it-and-leave-it lifestyle, being closer to the action and others.
While these have been a part of the migration to multi-family homes, those that build them talk about the cost of housing in Calgary.
“I believe the significant rise in multi-family homes is directly tied to affordability and in our market we have considerable issues surrounding the cost of housing,” says Charron Ungar, president of Avi Urban. “More buyers entering the marketplace are finding the true cost of restricted development policies ends up being the burden of the end purchaser.”
The restrictive development policies came with the Calgary Municipal Development Plan, which effectively restricted how many single-family homes can be built in new communities.
But, there’s more, Ungar says.
“From rising greenfield levies in suburbs, to expanding redevelopment charges in established communities, the cost of building a home, particularly around land cost and infrastructure, is making it far more difficult for the average Calgarian to buy that new home,” says Ungar.
The gap between an entry level multi-family home and an entry level single-family, depending on finishings, can range from $150,000 to $200,000.
“It really comes down to a question of affordability,” says Adrian Hornett, chartered financial analyst at Truman. “It is far easier for a household to save up a $12,000 down payment, assum- ing 5% down on a purchase price of $240,000 for a two-bedroom condo in one of the suburbs, as opposed to $20,000, assuming 5% down for a $400,000 single-family home in a comparable community. “That difference could equate to one or two years of savings for a typical family with a near median income.”
Generational lifestyle choices, coupled with costs, do play a part, says Gary Siminiuk, marketing manager at Streetside Developments.
“Millennials are staying at home longer and affordability is the main factor for these buyers,” says Siminiuk. “Lifestyle factors such as starting families later in life, socializing in their neighbourhood, having a lock-and-leave preference, shorter commutes, utilizing public transit and being close to work are all important preferences and even though millennials are OK with a smaller space, they don’t want to sacrifice the nicer things that come with home ownership.”
To understand how complete, and ironic, the reversal is, builders broke through the 17,000 annual starts barrier in 2006, starting 10,482 single-family and 6,564 multi-family homes.
That barrier was breached again in 2014, with 6,494 single-family and 10,637 multi-family starts, most of which are condominium-apartments.
Calgary went into the last recession with more than 9,000 apartments under construction and that number has now been exceeded.
Is it too many?
See what the builders have to say in this space next week.

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on google Share on email More Sharing Services

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 8:44 PM
BANNED

I don't mind that ratio either, but it needs to be contextualized with the realities of the market. The demand for these things might not be there, so when we push this ratio, it is a little like the tail wagging the dog. The condo market is at greater risk I fear. Hopefully the markets survive in general, but the realities of the economy are quite stark. What was EnCana's numbers for the quarter? A 3 month loss of $1,200,000,000.00? Writing off a Bow a quarter is no joke, and that's just one company. Multiply by 25.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 11:07 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Actually I think this is great. I can live with this ratio. The Sun doing their typical anti-MDP, anti-Nenshi etc rant.

http://m.calgarysun.com/2015/11/13/a...i-family-homes
They have a 10-16 page new home section almost daily in their paper. Clearly, they feel obligated to cheerlead the industry to keep that ad revenue pumping in.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Trouble brewing in the Beltline

Was hearing some major concerns from building occupants in the Beltline. Apparently, Boardwalk has extracted security guards from one of the major downtown condos moving them to a safer more secure central hub, and the suggestion is that this has allowed a deterioration at the building. The occupants were complaining of vagrants taking up residence in the stairwells and public urination inside the building.

On a somewhat related note, looks like police have a breakthrough for one of the recent unsolved homicides in the area:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/warrants-i...lley-1.2701436

[EDIT]

Just found some coverate of the residential tower. Looks like one of those rental towers (that are now all the rage):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ants-1.3367005

Quote:
Landry is concerned the building's proximity to 17th Avenue S.W. leaves it vulnerable to criminal activity
The CBC radio coverage was more contextualized, detailing some of the things that have happened since the change.

The building is a rental, so frankly speaking, changes of this sort are what you give up by now owning.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:09 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Was hearing some major concerns from building occupants in the Beltline. Apparently, Boardwalk has extracted security guards from one of the major downtown condos moving them to a safer more secure central hub, and the suggestion is that this has allowed a deterioration at the building. The occupants were complaining of vagrants taking up residence in the stairwells and public urination inside the building.

On a somewhat related note, looks like police have a breakthrough for one of the recent unsolved homicides in the area:

[EDIT]

Just found some coverate of the residential tower. Looks like one of those rental towers (that are now all the rage):

The CBC radio coverage was more contextualized, detailing some of the things that have happened since the change.

The building is a rental, so frankly speaking, changes of this sort are what you give up by now owning.
Non-issue, one person complaining and it makes the news, must have been a slow day.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:14 AM

Quote:

[EDIT]

Hey there. How's that analysis coming? A few days late already, but under the circumstances, what with it being the most comprehensive cost-benefit analysis the world has ever seen, this can be forgiven. Looking forward to it though!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Hey there. How's that analysis coming? A few days late already, but under the circumstances, what with it being the most comprehensive cost-benefit analysis the world has ever seen, this can be forgiven. Looking forward to it though!
The more I think about it, the infertility cycling causes could actually be seen as a positive strategic method to help manage the world's population crisis.

Of course, wrong thread for that discussion. Can't believe I bit on your trolling.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Non-issue, one person complaining and it makes the news, must have been a slow day.
Actually, I think that was the synopsis from the resident's meeting, and frankly, having vagrants allowed into your home whereas previously they were not is a big change even if it really is only one person complaining about it, don't you think?

Did you actually listen to the news coverage, or do you know the situation personally?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
The more I think about it, the infertility cycling causes could actually be seen as a positive strategic method to help manage the world's population crisis.

Of course, wrong thread for that discussion. Can't believe I bit on your trolling.
Speaking of trolls...
Quote:
July 9, 2014 -- Cycling doesn't lead to male infertility and erectile dysfunction, but it may raise prostate cancer risk in cyclists over 50, a new study finds.

Although it's considered a healthy activity, helping to lower the risks of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, cycling is commonly believed to affect a man's fertility.
http://www.webmd.com/men/news/201407...le-infertility

Even if it were true, which it is not, commuting short distances isn't going to be an issue. You should be more concerned about the long term effects of having your head stuck up your butt. I think the oxygen deprivation is starting to get to you.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:15 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

People, it's just a mad trolling strategy. Ignore. It makes things better.

As for cycling, negative health effects due to seat position are typically attributed to ultra long distances and lots of time in the saddle. Commutes to work really won't affect that. Now, who wants to do the Banff Gran Fondo with me next year?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:

Whatever do you mean?

Fun, isn't it?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Is that a new condo building in the picture?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...hone-1.3377061
Quote:
Calgary police need help finding witnesses to a brutal attack that left a man so badly beaten he was found unconscious with a fractured skull on Monday.
<>
... for the purpose of robbing him of his cellphone at 11th Avenue and First Street southeast.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 2:04 AM

Didn't know where to put this, but if anyone is interested in a data based argument for increasing the walkability of our cities, I just read this book over Christmas and it was fantastic:

The Walkable City by Jeff Speck

I liked how he meant through 10 aspects of what makes an area walkable. i also like how he doesn't just think every street should become walkable. He gives a very good blueprint on how to overhaul parts of a city.

He also gave this talk on TED talks:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_speck...ty?language=en

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Surprised this hasn't been talked about more here - the City of Calgary has completely ended all form of sprawl subsidies moving forward. All infrastructure related expenses will be fully recoverable via off-site levies. People across the inner-city development community seem to be ecstatic about this - probably the biggest move ever here in terms of further limiting sprawl, encouraging redevelopment and increasing availability of funds for items such as public realm and infrastructure improvements in established communities.

Summary on pg 43.
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

Established area levy (water only) ~$3,000 to $6,000 per unit.

Greenfield levy ~$450,000 per hectare or $182,000 per acre. Based on a typical new subdivision density of 10 units per acre works out to about $18,000 per unit.

Kudos to Josh who I believe played a key role in this.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Surprised this hasn't been talked about more here - the City of Calgary has completely ended all form of sprawl subsidies moving forward. All infrastructure related expenses will be fully recoverable via off-site levies. People across the inner-city development community seem to be ecstatic about this - probably the biggest move ever here in terms of further limiting sprawl, encouraging redevelopment and increasing availability of funds for items such as public realm and infrastructure improvements in established communities.

Summary on pg 43.
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

Established area levy (water only) ~$3,000 to $6,000 per unit.

Greenfield levy ~$450,000 per hectare or $182,000 per acre. Based on a typical new subdivision density of 10 units per acre works out to about $18,000 per unit.

Kudos to Josh who I believe played a key role in this.
That's great news!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 1:23 PM

So now that this levy is covering 100% of the costs, that means our water and sewer bills are going to go down, right? right? *crickets*

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So now that this levy is covering 100% of the costs, that means our water and sewer bills are going to go down, right? right? *crickets*
The upgrading costs for inner-city sewage "densification" are going up astronomically. Begs the question. When there is substantive densification that requires digging up utilities and adding bandwidth, should those subsidies also be tossed?

Last edited by suburbia; Jan 13, 2016 at 10:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy