HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:10 AM

129ft can't be right?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:26 AM

oh ya whoops, lol, looks like its.. 66' 11"

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:41 AM

this was originally appealed by the neighborhood association due to lack of ground floor activity - other than the lobby it would have just had a garage on the ground floor (as far as i remember). at the time, the opinion on these forums was pretty strongly against this building, due to the first floor. it sounds like they've taken some steps to address the issue, since there will be one retail space as well as a leasing office. so i suppose this is good news. in any case, it'll be better than the fenced off vacant lot we have there now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:13 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I've been wondering what was going on with the old Dove Lewis space and I completely forgot about this building. It's good to read that it's progressing.

What is diagonally across the street from it? I'm asking about the long building with garage door after garage door? It's on a double length block that's also two blocks deep since Quimby doesn't go through that block (what the heck?)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:31 PM
PearlHelp.com

Looks sorta like Sitka Apartments in the Pearl.

http://www.thesitka.com/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I've been wondering what was going on with the old Dove Lewis space and I completely forgot about this building. It's good to read that it's progressing.

What is diagonally across the street from it? I'm asking about the long building with garage door after garage door? It's on a double length block that's also two blocks deep since Quimby doesn't go through that block (what the heck?)
It was a trucking center for Consolidated Freightways. The parent of which was CNF now Con-way. So that is part of the acres upon acres of parking around the Con-way buildings. They are really hoping to redevelop and integrate into the neighborhood, but the recession hit.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

OH! I had no idea that was part of the Con-way property. That's 4 blocks worth of potentially prime real estate, especially since it's just one chunk of land without any city streets running through it. [two double-blocks, really]

I mistakenly assumed all of the Con-way land was connected.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 10:57 PM

the good news is that all that con-way property is part of the new downtown urban renewal district!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 6:18 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
You're not mistaken.... it is all connected. It covers a huge area of NW.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 8:44 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Is there a map somewhere that shows where the boundaries of the property are? I thought this was part of the Con-way property, but it doesn't look connected to the garage doors building I asked about before.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 2:06 AM
Karma Police

Conway doesn't own that building. If you have a question about who owns what properties, just type the address into PortlandMaps. The assessor's info will tell you who the owner is. I'm sure somebody has a map of Conway properties, but I couldn't tell you where you'd find it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

Quote:
OH! I had no idea that was part of the Con-way property. That's 4 blocks worth of potentially prime real estate, especially since it's just one chunk of land without any city streets running through it. [two double-blocks, really]

For some reason the googlemap link wouldn't open when I originally posted that. I thought you were talking about the on between 20th and 21st between Quimby and Savier. LOTS of garage doors! lol! Sorry.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:52 PM

Salpare Bay condo developer now plans apartments

Michael DeFrees retools the beleaguered project
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

The failed Salpare Bay condominium project may be revived as an apartment complex.

The developer of a failed Hayden Island condominium project intends to construct a 371-unit apartment complex in its place.

The plan to convert Salpare Bay, 499 N.E. Tomahawk Island Drive, from a 204-unit luxury condominium into a high-density apartment complex is detailed in documents filed this month in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Oregon.

Michael DeFrees, the project’s Vancouver-based developer, placed Salpare Bay in bankruptcy in June to prevent the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Department from conducting a court-ordered auction to satisfy a $4 million judgment in favor of its contractor, J.E. Dunn Northwest Inc.

Salpare Bay has a total of about $7.5 million in secured claims against it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:31 AM
PearlHelp.com

The Waterside to go up for auction:

http://www.egusts.com/kennedy-wilson/waterside/10-0921/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
You're RIGHT. Hipsters won't go there for the sports... they'll go there for the irony of them actually being there. How could I have missed that? It's so obvious!
I've never really understood the whole "hipster" thing: whether the stereotype has much substance and why it is so fashionable to scorn the people supposedly representative. Are you all sure that in Portland this anger isn't reflective more of how one-dimensional the culture here can seem at times? Are you sure it's not a young/old(er) thing? I ask because a fair number of people that I know or interact with (including some anarchists, who strike me as being the biggest hipsters of all; not to mention always being at the forefront of gentrification, then railing against it) love to hate on this supposed segment of society and I almost always find myself wondering if they need to spend more time self-reflecting. In my experience, not many people fit neatly into categories.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 9:44 PM

Post 2244 NW Savier st. | x feet | 4 floors | Preliminary Plans

From the Oregonian

Con-way, the freight company in Northwest Portland, has filed preliminary plans to build apartments on excess land it owns along Northwest 23rd Avenue.

Con-way is the most prominent property owner included in the city's potential new downtown urban renewal district. The company owns 20 excess acres -- mostly parking lots -- around its offices near the on-ramp to the Fremont Bridge. According to the city's proposed urban renewal district boundaries, the project at 2244 N.W. Savier St. would not be included in the new district. Other Con-way properties are included within the proposed boundaries.

Con-way has been working for years on plans to redevelop the land, but the preliminary plans filed with the city mark the company's most serious move yet to develop the land.

The plans, filed by SERA Architects of Portland, show two four-story apartment buildings that straddle Savier Street along Northwest 23rd Avenue. The project includes 179 apartments split between the two buildings, 130 below-grade parking stalls and ground-floor retail shops along 23rd Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'll happily raise a toast (with a pint of Lompoc Strong Draft) to this project! ...although it's sure to add more foot traffic to one of my favorite pubs. Cheers to the death of a surface parking lot!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:26 AM

This is absolutely thrilling!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:55 AM

Hell yes! I live 2 1/2 blocks from here & walk home everyday past this lot. It would be a nice & slow evolution to watch. Wonder when they are thinking about starting?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:49 PM

Finally! Such good news! I work on the Con-way campus and have been waiting not so patiently for something to finally happen!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland