HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 1:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Dine Out Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 2:13 AM

They seem to be missing a lot of restaurants. None of the ones I really go to are on that list...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 2:20 AM

*shrug* Pretty good selection in Kits. Quattro, Sai-Z, Octopus' Garden, Flying Tiger, Mistral are all worthwhile. Hopefully I can still get reservations.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 5:35 AM

The prices have been slowly creeping upwards every year - now its $18, $28 and $38.
Originally it was $15 and $25, then they added the $35 category, now each has been bumped up $3.

Anyways, one that isn't trendy etc. but has consistently good food is Rex Rotisserie & Grill @ Bentall Centre. Good sized portions, good selections (more than one dessert offered) and isn't so crazy busy that the servers ignore you - and it's $28.

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visi...ils.php?id=578

Had a bad experience at Flying Tiger a while back (non-dine out) - they lost our order and we waited over 1.5 hours for our food - even after pestering the servers (who must not have followed up on the orders). Never going back there again.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 5:52 AM
Vancouver Moderator

My friends and I have booked a table for Nu.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 6:17 AM
David

ive had great experiences with Dine Out the last 2 years... The Cannery two years ago and the Watermark last year. You can't go wrong with the Cannery, it is amazing. But I was pleasantly surprised by Watermark. Definitely recommend both

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 7:57 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I went to Rex about a year ago and was quite unimpressed for the money that they ask.

Disappointed that Chambar isn't on there this year. My favourite restaurant in Vancouver!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 7:12 PM

Yeah, not sure about the prices on the regular menu at Rex, but there's usually a two for one coupon in the Georgia Straight (or there used to be).

Went to Watermark a couple of years ago for dine-out - was also impressed with the food (i.e. it's not just for the view). But the place was incredibly noisy (you could barely hear the person across from you) and they didn't have our table ready so we had to wait for about half an hour.

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Watermark is amazing... or at least I think it is. Even for the regular prices, the food isn't expensive for what you are getting. It is pretty loud though for a western restaurant, but I'm used to those chinese restaurants so I'm fine with the noise level.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:03 AM

how is the cannery? is it still down there on the docks sort of near commercial?

my friend wants to eat seafood and asked me where to go

I relaly don't know as I hate the stuff

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how is the cannery? is it still down there on the docks sort of near commercial?

The setting/view is top notch and they do their seafood very well. The only knock I have is that it isn’t really as "inventive" as some of the other higher end places downtown - i.e. most dishes are still served with the exact same sides as a number of years ago - mashed potatoes, two baby carrots and a few roasted peppers. However, consistency over constant reinvention can also be a plus. The lobster infused oil for the bread is pretty kick ass too.

It is on Commissioner along the port - you have to go through the security gates and tell them you are going to the Cannery (not sure if you can still go from Clark entrance - I have gone through one off McGill last few times). I believe it was mentioned on another thread that they will have to move after leas is up because it is essentially a massive security hole. If that is the case, you might as well try to go before it moves - setting is great.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:08 PM

double post

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Best one I had was dine out last year at Rain City Grill. They had an extra option for a 100 mile 3 course (think an extra $10). Was extremely good. Was worried about the dessert - parsnip cake (no sugar)...but was probably one of the best desserts that I've ever had - highly recommended. Would go there again in a heartbeart if our newly acquired dog was stable enough to be left at home alone ... ;(

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:56 PM

I went to the Raincity dine out last year and was blown away too. Easily one of the most under rated restaurants in the city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I went to the Raincity dine out last year and was blown away too. Easily one of the most under rated restaurants in the city.

Not to mention the view on a clear night.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 3:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Ahhhhh!
Reading this thread is making me miss the Vancouver food scene terribly. Shanghai is no slouch in that department, but it just doesn't compare to the 'Vancouver only' culinary experience. You guys live in a foodie's wet dream. Take advantage of it as much as possible.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 3:26 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Going to Cobre tonight I'll think of you.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I know eh? It's one of my favorite restaurants even to date. Prices aren't outrageous expensive and food is excellent. Hope Nu (same owner) is the same... =P

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:31 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Going to Cobre tonight I'll think of you.

So...how was it?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:45 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It was great, I am always pleasantly surprised there, maybe my expecatations are always low because of the less then stellar location, but man is the food ever great. The pulled duck taco and the rockfish taco were both incredible, definetaly need to go with mutliple people and share dishes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining