HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

Federal building can’t be demolished: Ottawa

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...olished-ottawa

Ottawa says the federal building cannot be torn down and features and facades are protected under a covenant that runs with the land in perpetuity.

The point is contained in a letter to developer Darko Vranich, who is looking at demolishing the building at Main Street West and Caroline Street, but says he’s prepared to save six sculptures on the front made by Hamilton artist Elizabeth Holbrook. The city issued a demolition permit Thursday.

The Feb. 2 letter to Vranich is from Robert Brick of the Ontario office of Public Works and Government Services Canada.

“Please be reminded that the Government of Canada sold the property with a covenant that runs with the land in perpetuity which, in addition to protecting certain designated features and facades, requires that you and subsequent purchasers not ‘raze to the ground or otherwise demolish the entire building,’” says Brick.

He says the government requires Vranich to withdraw his demolition permit “immediately” and that it will ask that the City of Hamilton to “refuse your permit application and protect the heritage character and designation of the property on our behalf.”

Tyler McDiarmid, chief financial officer of Vrancor Group, had not seen the letter, but said the firm was prepared to discuss the matter with Ottawa. He said plans for the site remain in the design phase.

“We are still working on the design of the project,” McDiarmid said. “We are evaluating a number of different options … We are working with staff to see what can be done. We’re not going to act irresponsibly with an immediate demolition of the building.”

Tim McCabe, the city’s general manager of planning and economic development, said the city was legally bound to issue the demolition permit to Vranich under Ontario building laws.

Vranich plans to build a 140-unit, 20-storey condo on the site. The future of the bas relief sculptures by Holbrook has been causing contention among arts and heritage advocates since Vranich filed for a demolition permit. Last month, the city’s heritage committee tried to block the demolition by endorsing an 11th-hour proposal to designate the building under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:11 PM

the province saves us from our stadium failures and the federal government saves us from vrancor.

maybe one day the city staff and council can put their big-boy pants on and take care of themselves for a change

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:49 PM

Good.

I like this line:

"He said plans for the site remain in the design phase"

Just like the HMP building was demolished for the Hilton, which is still in the design phase too.

In other news, I'm also building a 43 storey condo, but it's still in the design phase.

For future reference, next time somebody wants to demo a building, I'm all for it as long as the crane goes up immediately after. Don't issue demo permits until the building is securely financed and buyers have deposited real downpayments on the units. None of this fuzzy design phase stuff.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:12 PM

I certainly wouldn't want a building that looks like this to be "razed to the ground." Keep it in perpetuity, I say!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's such a beauty!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
I certainly wouldn't want a building that looks like this to be "razed to the ground." Keep it in perpetuity, I say!

Hmm, looking at the photo, a 140 unit 16 story condo would probably occupy a way smaller footprint than the current building. More room for a parking lot?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:05 PM

I have no special love for this building, but why tear things down for no reason? It not only destroys the urban fabric, but unecessarily creates waste that has to be put into landfills. Hamilton would be less impressive with a giant gravel parking lot instead of this building, which, btw, Vranich long-ago said he was converting to condos.

You guys have no imagination. I know exactly what would happen with a building like this in a a location like this in other cities.

You're also showing the back, and it would look a hell of a lot better if the windows weren't boarded up. Oh, and Vranich put that big hole in the back, I suspect so that the interior would be destroyed by the elements. The back of the building should not be visible, but Vranich already got his hands on the building that used to veil it. Yeah let's clear the whole block!

C'mon, put 2 and 2 together. Vranich wants more parking for Hess Village.

Last edited by flar; Feb 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:33 PM

fantastic. i hope it doesn't get demolished. I actually think it's a fantastic building, the kind that only larger cities like Hamilton would have and there isn't anything else quite like it in this city. I think someday this would be of much greater architectural interest than now.

If it was a different developer with some real plans wanting to tear it down, i wouldn't be so upset. Given Vranich's track record all i see is another depressing parking lot on this city's prime real estate, and i can't get behind that.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:25 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I may be mistaken but I believe the renovated townhouses at the corner of Queen and Main are Vrancor as well.
Can't speak to your other question, but Bratina told me in person that those Queen/Main renovated buildings are owned by Vranich. He'd know, I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhornich View Post
the kind that only larger cities like Hamilton would have
exactly. You take away this stuff and Hamilton is no different from anywhere else.

I might add the Lister Block looked pretty bad two years ago, especially the back. Overgrown with weeds, all the windows smashed out, rusty junk laying around and graffiti. Now look at it. It would have made a huge hole in Hamilton's urban fabric had it been demolished.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 8:26 PM

Are we really so hopeless that we can only see the ugly side of a grand, street fronting 6 storey brick building, and hope for stucco and asphalt in its place? Does this city hate itself that much?

This is a downtown streetwall building, and it's not supposed to be viewed from the back. It was never meant to be seen across a half a block of pavement and parked cars. It was the same 'eyesore, tear it down' attitude that brought us that atrocious view from George Street. The Lister Block looked terrible from that perspective, as does the Connaught in its state. With appropriate infill development around these buildings, we would see the upper levels rising from a continuous wall of 2-3 storey buildings, much like what was there in the first place.

I have to oppose any demolition of the Federal building until I can see a site plan for anything that has a place in the downtown of a mid size city. Given Vrancor's development portfolio and, especially, history of development in Hamilton, you would have to be insanse to believe that a new development would do justice to the building they want to tear down. Given their history here, you'd be insane to think they're going to build anything at all.

Consider the facts and the timeline involved:

-Bought Federal Building in 2004
-Proposed condo conversion
-Cancelled condo conversion
-Proposed hotel development
-Demolished HMP building on site
-Cancelled hotel development
-Planned new condo development
-Demolish Federal Building on site (????)
-What comes next?

Keep in mind, zero new construction in Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 7:00 AM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 9:40 AM

It's a classy building; it just needs a little love. That, and a lane removed from the Main expressway so that cars and trucks aren't passing ten feet from one's living room window at 70+ km/hr.

I'm hopeful that Ottawa's intervention may provoke something in the way of action onsite now that Vranich knows the building can't be torn down. Perhaps a change in ownership is in the cards?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 5:19 AM

That's a very handsome building... even thinking about demolishing it is pure idiocy. How much is it? Maybe I'll buy it and convert it into condos. Hamilton real estate is affordable isn't it?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 5:28 AM

I love it when the government steps in and makes the City look foolish...and it happens with such regularity!

Vranich obviously feels he can't make any money on renovating this building. As much as I dislike the man, he may be right. As we've seen time and again in this city, there's little market for such grand projects and it would likely be much cheaper to demo and erect a cardboard, stucco building in its place.

That said, it appears to be perfect for a condo/hotel conversion; you'd think its proximity to Hess would drive prices and demand through the roof but what the hell do I know. I've always imagined Mac or Mohawk using it as a downtown campus. We shall see what the future brings. My prediction is continued vacancy for a long long time...not exactly going out on a limb here, I know.

I have no love for this man for all kinds of reasons but when the money makes sense, he's done the right thing [i.e. the buildings on Main between Caroline and Queen]. Hopefully he'll sell and we can have another go at renovating this building.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 1:40 AM

News conference Feb. 11

"For Immediate Release:
Ward 2 Councillor Jason Farr and The Vrancor Group will be hosting a press conference regarding the preservation of the Federal Building friezes at 150 Main Street West.

Following this brief press-conference, Internationally known artist, Christian Corbett, PPCPA, CGAM, BAMS, FIDEM, FA, FRSA will present the City Of Hamilton with a rendering of renowned Hamilton born artist, Dr. Elizabeth Bradford Holbrook, CM, O.Ont, RCA, OSA, SSC (1913 - 2009).

Further, we are pleased to announce a presentation hosted by Christian Corbet (Dr. Holbrook’s only protégé, 1996 – 2003), where he will graciously honour Holbrook’s life and work during a one hour event.

DATE: Friday, February 11, 2011
TIME: 3:30 pm - Press Conference
4:00 pm - Slide presentation of Dr. Holbrook by Christian Corbett
PLACE: Sheraton Hamilton, MacNab Room"

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 4:59 AM
Hammer'd

I guess that's kind of moot now, considering he will face serious legal trouble from Ottawa if he demolishes the building.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 2:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe it doesn't prevent the City approving the demolition permit.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 2:51 PM

He could still demolish it and just suck up whatever weak punishments he gets as the cost of doing business. There might be a business case for it if the parking lot revenues are high enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton