HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:50 PM

Sort of surprised to hear that the Brady one is not more efficient with directing traffic to the 4R bins as I see that it has been open for almost 1 year.

The one on Pacific just opened about a week ago from what I see on the city web site so it may still be a little confused on what and where to dump.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:54 PM

Maybe we missed a sign. But everything just said recycling, recycling depot. Nothing about garbage. There should be a sign that's says everyone pull up to the recycling scale. Again, maybe there was and we missed it.

It should be like pulling up to the border. Semis go there, everyone else go here. Commercial go there, everyone else regardless of what you have, go to this window.

Now I know for next time. But the hand bombing into the garbage bins really killed me. Shit man, I have to actually shovel and throw all this crap over top of this 3'-4' railing? Then try and make it in the bin lol

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Man the roads in Winnipeg are in terrible shape, beginning to see why so many drive beaters here, why risk wrecking a new car on these 3rd world paths we call roads!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 9:15 PM

Tis the season. Well sort of with that 2 week melt period we had. Theres some doozies out there. I did see the cold mix patching trucks out in EK a week or two back, when it was still warm.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I just bought a new car (my first) and it has been spending its life in the garage so far. Really difficult to subject it to the indignities of our roads.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 2:32 AM
Heart of the Continent

There's not much they can do about the holes right now. It's going to have to wait about a month.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:10 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City has managed to mess up the dump... Went to Brady Landfill this past weekend.
As development reaches outward more and more, isn't there a point at which the odour from Brady becomes a problem for nearby residential areas?

I see that Brady Rd. is close to Kenaston Blvd / Perim. Hwy. area.

From the 2014 BRRMF Report, it says:

Quote:
Best practices and effective operating procedures are used to control nuisances such as
odours, noise, litter, vector and vermin, and mud and dust. Seven odour complaints and
one vector complaint were received in 2014. In all cases, the customers were contacted
for follow-up, and cases were completed. Additional odour monitoring at the complaint
location was performed if necessary.

Last edited by LilZebra; Feb 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
As development reaches outward more and more, isn't there a point at which the odour from Brady becomes a problem for nearby residential areas?
It's only a problem for people stupid enough to buy near there.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:23 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Alternatively, if they wanted a mountain view, they got it!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I find it astonishing that those homes in South Waverley West have been successfully developed and marketed. As if the traffic there wasn't enough of a turn off, throw the dump smells in summer. Yeesh.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find it astonishing that those homes in South Waverley West have been successfully developed and marketed. As if the traffic there wasn't enough of a turn off, throw the dump smells in summer. Yeesh.
Yeah sometimes when it's really hot, even driving down Bishop you can smell it. Would never want to live there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:12 PM

I lived in St Norbert for 8 years and some days the smell was atrocious. I get we got used to it. Whenever I had people over they would comment and I didnt even really smell it.

But we were all amazed they'd be selling million dollar homes in the area with that stench.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Didn't know where to put this one, so under the infrastructure thread it goes.

The City has managed to mess up the dump... Went to Brady Landfill this past weekend. You now have to go through a series of recycling stations, to figure out if you have anything hazardous or with recycling. The new 4R recycling depot that opened just a week or two ago.

Okay, fine. Signage lacking as there's nothing saying you HAVE to go through the recycling part. So we drove all the way up to the hill prior to seeing anyone from the City, they sent us back through the new depot.

So anyway, after going through these stations they say 'no you just have garbage, go pull up to this bin here and empty your trash'. Okay, what? I have to shovel all this crap over a railing and into a garbage bin? FFS.. They don't let you up to the actual garbage dump anymore, unless your commercial I think. So beware, if you're expecting an easy dump of the tailgate, nope, no way. Be prepared to throw that crap over a railing. Had to hand bomb many, many little pieces of wood this weekend.
I hate to disagree with you here but there are obvious signs indicating NOT to drive through and to, in fact, turn left into the recycling/garbage area.

I find the directions to be almost over kill in the sense you see 3 different people for direction before disposing of your garbage. And they are all super friendly and helpful. They did a great job on the new Brady.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:19 PM

Once we got to the right place, they directed us through pretty clearly. I guess we just missed the obvious signs. Taking garbage to a recycling centre seems odd. But I guess they're trying to make sure you actually have garbage only and no recyclables.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Once we got to the right place, they directed us through pretty clearly. I guess we just missed the obvious signs. Taking garbage to a recycling centre seems odd. But I guess they're trying to make sure you actually have garbage only and no recyclables.
No disrespect intended. When I went the first time, I had no idea it had changed so I was looking to go right up the hill too but I saw the sign. I did notice on subsequent visits they had made the signage bigger. They could probably do more if its an issue.

If you only had recyclables you might not have made it to the new garbage dump area which is at the end of the round loop you drive, past the recycling area. Makes it nice and easy (much nicer then actually driving up the garbage hill). I moved and made several trips over a weekend and at one point, I had very little and they didnt even charge me. Nice folks working Brady.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:57 PM
What could go wrong?

It works in a way that if you can recycle pretty much everything that you are throwing out then they don't charge you. Whatever you have left, you go through the scale again and they charge you for. Then you dump it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It works in a way that if you can recycle pretty much everything that you are throwing out then they don't charge you. Whatever you have left, you go through the scale again and they charge you for. Then you dump it.
Is it that way? You weigh in prior to giving anything to recycling or garbage. Then you weigh out with an empty load. Not in between recycling and the garbage bins. Or maybe its just because I didn't have recycling I didn't weigh in for the intermediate step? I don't know.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I lived in St Norbert for 8 years and some days the smell was atrocious. I get we got used to it. Whenever I had people over they would comment and I didnt even really smell it.

But we were all amazed they'd be selling million dollar homes in the area with that stench.
Did you live at the dump? Of in one of those homes that backs onto Waverley south of the Perimeter?

Lived in St. N for 20+ years. There are less than 5 days a year where the smell is even noticeable.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Did you live at the dump? Of in one of those homes that backs onto Waverley south of the Perimeter?

Lived in St. N for 20+ years. There are less than 5 days a year where the smell is even noticeable.
Laurent. Im not saying it was every day. But it was more than 5 days a year that it was really bad. Other days, not so bad. But as I said, on days I couldnt smell it, if we had people over, they commented on it. So I guess we got used to it.

It wasnt bad enough to make me move or to have stopped me buying in the first place. But in the summer, it was more than 5 days. Maybe 5 days per month.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Is it that way? You weigh in prior to giving anything to recycling or garbage. Then you weigh out with an empty load. Not in between recycling and the garbage bins. Or maybe its just because I didn't have recycling I didn't weigh in for the intermediate step? I don't know.
No weigh in before recycling. You turn left instead of going up the hill like before. Come to the first stop for chemicals (I believe) and electronics (or at least I ditched two small TV's there upon the workers request).

Then you move up the hill. Its there I pass old bikes and appliances (never had any to throw out). Come to another worker. Im not sure what they do because I always had trash, so they direct me to continue on to the scale.

Turn into the scale and get weighed entering. Round another bend and another worker directs you to back up to one of several trash bins. Your vehicle is on a raised roadway with the BFI-style (larger) trash bins beneath. So you can grab trash out of her car, truck, trailer etc and toss it down.

When the bins are full, they are dragged away and emptied. When you're done, you drive back out through the scale where they charge you based on the difference in weight from when you entered the trash area.

ie. if your truck is loaded but its all recyclable, no charge. Not even weighed. Only weighed on your way to the last area, which is trash.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan