HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Just my 2¢

Jeff Bezos has a "space port" in west Texas of all places. Maybe he likes Texas?

Whole Foods, already HQ'd here, now being bought out by them....perhaps John Mackey has some pull in their ultimate decision.

Transportation issues? Yeah we have them, but as far as mass transit goes -- I would speculate that many of the employees for an A*HQ2 are mostly car drivers anyways. And many of our expressway problems are slowly getting resolved by tollways. Which I hate, but reluctantly use because the alternative is (typically) unbearable. Again, the employees at this facility can afford tolls, no problem.
However, I assume if the thing is built here, it'll most likely be downtown. Perhaps negating a big chunk of the transportation issues. We'll just need more high rise apartments and condo towers.
The Domain could be another option but not sure if there are height restrictions there?
Bezos owns a large ranch in west Texas and is one of the largest landowners in the state. His mother's family has ranched in the Cotula area for several generations. He grew up partly on a family ranch in south Texas and also attended elementary school in Houston for two years at River Oaks Elementary. He knows a lot about Texas. He thinks of himself as a game changer. Maybe he thinks it would be interesting to use his power, influence, and money to change the tenor of Texas state politics. He bought the Washington Post in the hopes of promoting a centrist agenda, so he is clearly interested in politics. He is not a hard core left wing Democrat; he is much more of a centrist. Don't you think that support from elected reps in say the DFW area for bathroom bills and other discriminatory nonsense would tend to dissipate with the prospect of so many high paying jobs on the line? I think Bezos would pretty much insist on it before doing HQ2 in Texas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin