HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyett View Post
The neo-euro style at least has a connection to an older Taiwanese architectural template (old post office, presidential building, 228 museum, etc,.). This can not be said of the palace movement which is just a sloppy, unoriginal manifestation of nationalist propaganda. Please, no more C.Y. Lee buildings - we've suffered enough!
c.y. lee didnt design the grand hotel tho so not sure what he has to do with anything. i'm just saying instead of emphasizing european architecture why doesnt taiwan focus on asian architecture? you dont see europeans filling their cities with asian architecture. it's really bizarre and says a lot about what taiwanese or asians in general think about their own culture. taiwanese architectural template as you call it is a foreign template. you might say those buildings like the post office, presidential building, etc. and other such western style buildlings should not have been built in taiwan in the first place. can you imagine if buckingham palace or the white house and other such important landmark buildings in western countries were built as asian styled buildings with pagodas and pitched roofs? nope, you would NEVER see that happen.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 8:56 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
taiwanese architectural template as you call it is a foreign template. you might say those buildings like the post office, presidential building, etc. and other such western style buildlings should not have been built in taiwan in the first place. can you imagine if buckingham palace or the white house and other such important landmark buildings in western countries were built as asian styled buildings with pagodas and pitched roofs? nope, you would NEVER see that happen.
"People use to think style or typological characteristics (pagodas and pitched roofs, etc,.) * were the only signatures of regionalism, yet people who live here represent the main spirit not the buildings. For when we are talking about Chinese or Taiwanese space we should always mean their realtionship to nature, their spatial quality and orders. More specifically, we should have a feeling of our space that associates with that place. This kind of collective feeling is shared across cultures and by thosewho live in the same place. Regional spirit does not suggest the authentic reappearance of an old style or format; this is cliche and kitsch."

Kris J. Yao

* not included in original quote

Razqal, London has lots of Chinese and Indian eateries. Why is that? Well, the English recognized that eating curry doesn't make you any less Britsh. Why can't the Taiwanese embrace the same idea? What does it matter if the building looks like something from Europe or Dubai or Brazil? Why can't Taiwanese take part in a global exchange of architectural ideas? Why the narrow-minded ethnic slant? Why does the exterior have to scream " we're part of the Chinese tradition"?

Last edited by Coyett; May 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:31 PM

I put this issue in other words, less autonomy in Taiwanese culture. It is one of major characteristics for Taiwan society which Taiwanese are more likely to think that we are not good as other countries and we need to learn from other countries. It is easy accept new thing, but in some cases it also make diffculty to create own style. However, this kind of speciality, someone have argued that it can be seen as Taiwanese Style.

Ignore this characteristic, the problem for design and architecture in Taiwan has something differences with these culture aspects. The real issue is that we like other emerging countries which we didn't pay a lot of attention to look our urban landscape, skyline, quality and aesthetics. That is different issue when we talk about the culture itself.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; May 18, 2010 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:31 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
I put this issue in other words, less autonomy in Taiwanese culture. It is one of major characteristics for Taiwan society which Taiwanese are more likely to think that we are not good as other countries and we need to learn from other countries. It is easy accept new thing, but in some cases it also make diffculty to create own style. However, this kind of speciality, someone have argued that it can be seen as Taiwese Style.

Ignore this characteristic, the problem for design and architecture in Taiwan has something differences with these culture aspects. The real issue is that we like other emerging countries which we didn't pay a lot of attention to look our urban landscape, skyline, quality and aesthetics. That is different issue when we talk about the culture itself.
But Taiwan hasn't learned from other countries. In terms of design, it's far behind its neighbors. And worst of all, it doesn't care about the ugliness of its skylines or streetscapes. There appears to be no design oversight, or democratic way of approving new buildings. Developers are completely free to build whatever piece of crap they desire. I can assure you that at no time were residents asked about the appropriateness of the Mandarin design. The hotel's owners truely don't care what we or anyone in Taipei thinks. The owners know that as long as there's a fancy label attached to the property status-seeking Taiwanese will follow.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:19 PM

imho, the majority of ppl living in taiwan are blissfully unware of how ugly and backward the common taiwanese architechure is. compared to those of korea's and hong kong's i can only describe it as - "lau tu".

even the newest designs from taiwan look like crap. why is that? a lot of taiwanese pride themselves for being so accepting of foreign culture and ideas. why is it that when it comes to architecuture taiwan looks as though its still in the medieval ages compared to its neighbors?

visiting some of the mandarin skyscraper forums in taiwan and you will soon realize pretty high %'s of those forumites are quite obliviously ignorant. this saddens me as a taiwanese.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:08 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Can you post rendering or pictures? And where is it located?

Here's a real construction pic:

compare to rendering:

pic by me hosted on flickr

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:34 PM

I think people here are being far too critical of taiwanese architecture, almost to the point where it blinds you to some of the unique characteristics of what we have. In particular, Kris Yao and CY Lee, both of whom account for most of the landmark buildings in Taiwan, are distinctly taiwanese. While some of Lee's design are controversial, it's hard to deny that they represent an improvement to the overall urban landscape of taiwan, which was absolute crap 20-30 years ago.

The main problem with Taiwan's streetscape is not the archecture, but cleanliness and lack of care taiwanese have in maintaining their buildings. If you go to Japan, most of their tokyo buildings consists of boring 5-10 story concrete blocks as well, but at least the blocks are clean and lacking in tacked on rusty metal bar windows and corrugated red rooftop additions. In the end, this makes those blocks nondescript, which allows people to focus on other, more impressive buildings at the city centers. A true improvement in taiwan's urban feel requires changes on a personnal level in terms of awareness and pride in where one person lives, and that awareness is gradually making its way around taipei now. We have more than enough impressive buildings/monuments/museums to look at.

Places like Nangang, Xinyi, Neihu, Banciao, DaAn, Taoyuan, and TMS zone all represent steps in the right direction. Their styles reflect clean lines (mostly), good airflow, decent spacing, and fengshui.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 1:36 AM

I think Taiwan has started learning what they do not do well in term of urban landscape and urban development and also building aesthetics. But it take a long time to change. It is very easy to understand, if you don't have good urban plan before you start develop, you will spend a lot of time and money to montify it.
Taiwanese urban department usually ignore total concept of urban development, which are urban landscape and skyline.

For aesthetics, it is also long-term development which it should be expected.

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; May 18, 2010 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 12:13 AM
The Picture Guy

Thanks for the pictures !! These picstures are far more clear than the one on Mandarin Oriental's website.

So is this on 敦化北/南路?

I guess it will be kind of weird to build an Asian-themed hotel in Taiwan but with an European skin.

It's kind of like building Ritz-Carlton in downtown New York but with Chinese exterior.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Thanks for the pictures !! These picstures are far more clear than the one on Mandarin Oriental's website.

So is this on 敦化北/南路?

I guess it will be kind of weird to build an Asian-themed hotel in Taiwan but with an European skin.

It's kind of like building Ritz-Carlton in downtown New York but with Chinese exterior.
exactly my point!! they should've built an asian/chinese architecturally inspired building instead of european. hello!!! it's in an asian country and called "MANDARIN ORIENTAL" afterall!!!!! tourists dont go to taiwan to look at european architecture. they go to look at taiwanese/asian architecture and culture. it's really stupid!!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 5:18 PM

There are some information about the urban redevelopment in Xiyin District, which will build 35-40 fl towers. The location is just oppsite side of W hotel which is good location for skyline.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 11:31 AM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 5:12 AM

http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/ar...sueID/20091221

聯合報系大樓拆掉重建,商業價值將大幅提升。范厚民攝

活化資產
台北市中心精華土地價值高,手上有庫存的各大產業也積極活化資產。矗立在北市信義區忠孝東路四段、基隆路口達38年的聯合報系大樓即將拆除,先配合北市府「台北好好看」政策賺10%容積獎勵,再興建為30層樓辦公樓,業者估價,該土地約值23億元,新樓完工後市值將激增67%以上。

獲10%容積獎勵
北市府都更處企劃科表示,聯合報的確申請「台北好好看」並登記存證,最高可獲得10%容積獎勵。聯合報系發言人項國寧表示,聯合報的確打算明年初拆掉並蓋綠地,目前正在設計新商辦大樓,新大樓租售方向尚未決定。聯合報系大樓約10年前拉皮整修,全社已於日前搬遷至汐止,因北市府提供「台北好好看」容積獎勵政策吸引人,明年拆樓後,最快2014年才重建。
永慶房仲集團商仲研展部協理黃增福分析,聯合報系位於忠孝東路四段的基地面積約780坪,土地每坪約300萬元,若獲都更、台北好好看容積獎勵,土地價值將提升為每坪350萬元;因屋齡已逾30年,現況行情每坪僅50~60萬元,新蓋商辦大樓則每坪80~100萬元、增值67%以上。記者江碩涵

聯合報系大樓
地址:北市信義區忠孝東路四段555、557號
使用時間:1971~2009年,38年
基地面積:約783坪
使用分區:住四之一,容積率400%
市值:土地逾23億元
未來計劃:配合「台北好好看」拆除大樓改為綠地,未來興建商辦大樓。
資料來源:《蘋果》採訪整理

It will be rebuild as 30f + tower.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 12:31 PM

Kaohsiung Maritime Competition - Canceled After Submisssion Deadline!

We’ve just been informed that the Kaohsiung Maritime Cultural & Popular Music Center International Competition has been suspended. This would not normally be big news, but news of the suspension was made today, a day after the submission deadline! One of our readers, and competition participant, sent us the following in an email...

As someone who dedicated many hours to this competition, and on behalf of my boss who spent thousands of dollars to produce and ship 15 (30 pg) books as per the submission requirements. We find this suspension to be an outrage.

According to the letter on the competition website, all proposals will be returned without opening. What we are wondering is, if this suspension, and participants were notified AFTER having sent in the submission, why doesn't the competition archive all the submissions for evaluation at a later date rather than send them back with no consolation for the participants?

Our office is still awaiting clarification from the competition officials...

Bustler
News of the suspension in confirmed on their website here, with the following message:

Date: June 8th, 2010
Dear Competition Participants:

Thank you for your participation in the Kaohsiung Maritime Cultural & Popular Music Center International Competition Project.

In order to ensure the process of the competition is conduced flawlessly, after thoughtful consideration, Kaohsiung City Government has decided to temporary suspend the competition. The delivered proposals will be returned without opening as soon as possible. For further information about the re-announcement of the competition, please visit our web site at: www.kpop.com.tw

I hope you can accept my sincerely apology. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely Yours,
Construction Office, Public Works Bureau,
Kaohsiung City Government, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Did you participate in this competition? What are your thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 6:02 AM

honestly, it was a stupid project anyway. i mean, pop music center? why does kaohsiung need that when the country's pop music industry is in taipei??? and taipei is planning to build a pop music center there too. who would go to kaohsiung for pop music? and what exactly would it be used for - concerts or something? how would they make money? they have a pop music concert every day or week or something to make it profitable? why not just call it a performance center instead of specifically pop music?

anyway it's a moot point. they should just build a general convention center and try to attract business conventions like computex or the taipei cycle show, etc. kaohsiung doesnt even have a world class convention center.

Last edited by Razqal; Jun 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
honestly, it was a stupid project anyway. i mean, pop music center? why does kaohsiung need that when the country's pop music industry is in taipei??? and taipei is planning to build a pop music center there too. who would go to kaohsiung for pop music? and what exactly would it be used for - concerts or something? how would they make money? they have a pop music concert every day or week or something to make it profitable? why not just call it a performance center instead of specifically pop music?

anyway it's a moot point. they should just build a general convention center and try to attract business conventions like computex or the taipei cycle show, etc. kaohsiung doesnt even have a world class convention center.
It is part of the strategic development for Taiwanese music industry, central government had planned to develop two music centres locate at northern and southern of Taiwan which are Taipei and Kaohsiung.

And Kaohsing is planning international convention centre as well which will be another intenrational design competition. I just saw some rendering from government website, much better than Taipei Nangang convention centre. I really have question why Taiwan biggest city don't have any sense of asthestic?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
It is part of the strategic development for Taiwanese music industry, central government had planned to develop two music centres locate at northern and southern of Taiwan which are Taipei and Kaohsiung.

And Kaohsing is planning international convention centre as well which will be another intenrational design competition. I just saw some rendering from government website, much better than Taipei Nangang convention centre. I really have question why Taiwan biggest city don't have any sense of asthestic?
can you post photos of the rendering's of kaohsiung's convention center please? thanks!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 9:59 AM

It is kind of vision rendering for Kaohsiung convention centre.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 3:29 PM

Kaohsiung is amazing in recent years!!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 12:43 AM

National Convention and Exhibition Center (Nangang International Convention and Exhibition Center 2nd Hall)

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Jun 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan