HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 12:25 AM
gettin' rich!

You might not like the design, but the materials are hardly low quality.

Granite and Curtain wall glass...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
"Blight" is a mite harsh, but the garlic-clove-and-antenna setup is unsightly.

Still, thankfully Trump is barely visible from most perspectives, crowded in as it is from almost all sides.
My thoughts exactly. And I imagine that in the not too distant future it will be totally surrounded so won't be noticeable until you're actually in the CBD.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
You might not like the design, but the materials are hardly low quality.

Granite and Curtain wall glass...
As far as "granite" goes, you can't go cheaper than those 12x12 inch tiles they used at Trump. And the deflection on those windows is bad enough without the eerie glow of Minas-Morgul coming from the parking levels at night...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_at_night.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FJiC1NTK1B...inasmorgul.jpg

Last edited by dleung; Jan 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
My thoughts exactly. And I imagine that in the not too distant future it will be totally surrounded so won't be noticeable until you're actually in the CBD.
Yeah, Bay Adelaide East and Ernst & Young Tower will be removing a couple of the best sight lines of Trump.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Are we at the same IP?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Are we at the same IP?
Only if you're hacking mine...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 9:47 AM
The New Republic

Trump suits its location and is a hell of a lot more engaging than Bay-Adelaide. There was always going to be a backlash against Trump Tower because it's not a minimalist glass box. I actually used to like that aesthetic, but I'm sick to death of it now. It was over kill 3 years ago, but they keep spewing them out.

Trump is a little too busy for my liking, but quite like it. Bay-Adelaide East? Now there's a skyscraper I could do without. What an excruciatingly boring sterile lump of nothing that will be. I might just slip into a coma if forced to look at it for more than 4 seconds.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:05 PM
I am the law!

I strongly disagree. BA is much more engaging than Trump where 80% of the streetlevel is vehicular entrances. The historical facade leaves the impression of a historic building as well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:11 PM

The streetlevel and historic facade might look nicer at BA but what does that do if the other 40-or so floors are boring and architecturally displeasing? I could not think of a more boring, standard tower design. The only thing worst they could have done is covered it with bricks...

I personally like Trump Toronto... and I LOVE the onion top!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:37 PM
Editor

Brookfield place chugging away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post

Brookfield pit growing - they were going full blast today, and making a racket with their back hoes breaking up the concrete I presume. Note that the fellow was periodically spraying water in the pit to keep the dust down.

Brookfield Construction ip1075 by ferreth, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:31 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The streetlevel and historic facade might look nicer at BA but what does that do if the other 40-or so floors are boring and architecturally displeasing? I could not think of a more boring, standard tower design. The only thing worst they could have done is covered it with bricks...

I personally like Trump Toronto... and I LOVE the onion top!
Streetlevel is paramount. Trump's detailing leaves a lot to be desired as well. It looks like shit in the skyline while BA simply adds density.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I would quite like to see a 40 storey brick building in Toronto. It would make a change from the glass box.

Last edited by DrNest; Jan 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 7:58 PM

Trump does not look like shit in the skyline , I seriously don't get some of you. I've never heard a single negative comment from anyone I've met. Just a few cranky forum members. Like of course it's no architectural gem but to say it looks horrible in the skyline? Come on. Not only does it add density, the green adds to the colorful assortment of buildings in TO. The top stands out in the skyline and is very recognizable.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 7:59 PM
I am the law!

We have more than enough brick high rises.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Trump does not look like shit in the skyline , I seriously don't get some of you. I've never heard a single negative comment from anyone I've met. Just a few cranky forum members. Like of course it's no architectural gem but to say it looks horrible in the skyline? Come on. Not only does it add density, the green adds to the colorful assortment of buildings in TO. The top stands out in the skyline and is very recognizable.
Most people couldn't care less about the architecture, facade, or detail of any of the buildings downtown, but that's not why were here. I believe most of us that partake in this obscure hobby are certainly interested in these things. Therefore, I don't know why you're defense of the more unsightly buildings in the city usually consists of "the average person doesn't notice" . I couldn't tell you the difference between a Guess or Gucci handbag, that doesn't mean that the designers of such should accept mediocrity because some 20 year-old male finds them indistinguishable.

If someone finds Trump more engaging than BA then we have a fundamental disagreement about what's suitable for downtown that no amount of level-headed discussion could reconcile. Nothing is wrong with either opinion, but to argue the same points back and forth is fruitless.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 10:22 PM
gettin' rich!

The Aura Condo tower

By me

Four those of you that don't remember construction began on the Aura tower approximately 4 years ago today. By the looks of it, things won't be finished here for at least another 6 to 7 more months.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
As far as "granite" goes, you can't go cheaper than those 12x12 inch tiles they used at Trump. And the deflection on those windows is bad enough without the eerie glow of Minas-Morgul coming from the parking levels at night...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_at_night.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FJiC1NTK1B...inasmorgul.jpg
As I said before they should have used a half bond pattern with larger rectangular tiles. Nonetheless, this building looks better than 90% of the other highrises going up. The smoky color really works in this part of town.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
We have more than enough brick high rises.
Imho we don't have enough stylistic variety. At the midrise stock is improving (by Streetcar developments, Mizrahi etc) and should add some more class to the urban fabric.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 10:48 PM
gettin' rich!

I don't know where dlueng got the idea the "tiles" on Trump are cheap. They seem far bigger than 12x12 and yaletown's photo seems to prove that. And touching the stones in person they feel like massive blocks, so it would be hard for the layman to figure out what is going on in there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 11:34 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Trump isn't wonderful, and could have done better, but it's still an okay building for the skyline. Streetlevel seems to be a different issue, however that could probably be remodeled at some point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada