HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:21 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

@hughfb3

Thanks for the photo updates; those are always appreciated.

I’m not at all a fan of any of the Onni buildings. This type of generic postmodern skyscraper condo architecture ravaged cities like Vancouver, Toronto, Miami, and Chicago during the last major economic cycle. The one good thing about DTLA having missed out on the skyscraper boom is that it was spared from a lot of that bland crap.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:33 PM

I have to agree. I'm grateful that Onni is giving us a lot of infill but I feel their designs are leftovers from the last economic boom in the 90s/early 2000s. Like "Oh, we failed to build these here, lets build them in LA instead". If the buildings had different designs, I wouldn't mind. But literally allllllll of them look like taller/wider/lighter/darker versions of each other and its getting kinda annoying and old. At this point, ditch the balconies and just give us sheets of glass, might even cut costs ditching the balconies.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Are the first pics the Onni semi twins ? they are moving quickly.
Yes it is. I just titled the pics

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA-Joe View Post
Agreed, however they are rentals (originally envisioned as condo's I believe), i think the tiny W&D in the closet looks so Funny, a bit undersized.
BTW, i can see from my window what looks like a temporary crane next door to Circa, i suspect they are demolishing the El Compadre & Hooters, can anyone down that way confirm?
I think that crane is/was used to hoist up plants to the upper level. Although on the dtla facebook group someone posted notices for upcoming demolition.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
I have to agree. I'm grateful that Onni is giving us a lot of infill but I feel their designs are leftovers from the last economic boom in the 90s/early 2000s. Like "Oh, we failed to build these here, lets build them in LA instead". If the buildings had different designs, I wouldn't mind. But literally allllllll of them look like taller/wider/lighter/darker versions of each other and its getting kinda annoying and old. At this point, ditch the balconies and just give us sheets of glass, might even cut costs ditching the balconies.
The copy+paste Onni'ing of South Park has always been an irritant but the fact that they mostly play second-fiddle infill to the grander and larger developments at least makes it easier to swallow. The sheer size and number of non-Onni stuff popping up all over the place actually has me hoping they (Onni) keep replacing parking lots with their towers.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:18 AM
El Guátqui

Quote:
^^^ Its hard. I recently moved to Los Alamitos. Literally plopped right on top of the county borders between LA and OC. When I travel and people ask "Where are you from ???"
I say "Oh I'm from Los Alamitos, western border of orange county, but about 15 minutes away from Disneyland" Never fails. I get a dear in headlights look. I sigh and say "I'm from LA" and they're like "OOOHHHHH ! do you go to the beach often ????" cant tell you how many times I've been tempted to pull up google maps on my phone.
Yep. Born in Westlake Village a literal stone's throw from the Ventura county line, so I can sorta legitimately say that I'm from L.A., even though I've only lived in Moorpark, Fontana, and San Bernardino, before moving down here to Puerto Vallarta.

I've gotten enough glazed looks trying to explain that mess that I, too, just say Los Angeles. We should have a club.

I also just realized that the next time I get the chance to visit DTLA, I probably won't hardly recognize the place. I'm ecstatic to see what looks like a permanent citywide shift to the vertical. It had to happen sooner or later if L.A.'s gonna keep growing, but it's rad to be able to watch it happen.

I don't love all the high-rise designs, but I've noticed that buildings I initially don't like tend to grow on me. I used to really hate the boxy towers from the 60's and adore the postmodern ones, but now... They're all just part of a growing fabric of history, dictated by the preferences of the times they were built in. I'm most interested in seeing it made easier to build a greater quantity of new residential construction for all income levels.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
@hughfb3

Thanks for the photo updates; those are always appreciated.

I’m not at all a fan of any of the Onni buildings. This type of generic postmodern skyscraper condo architecture ravaged cities like Vancouver, Toronto, Miami, and Chicago during the last major economic cycle. The one good thing about DTLA having missed out on the skyscraper boom is that it was spared from a lot of that bland crap.
I'll take an Onni tower over a parking lot any day. Onni builds. Others have Grand (pun intended) plans, but they often fall through or are delayed or can't get financing. Plus housing is needed. Just wish we had more affordable units. Plus, I kind of like some of Onni's designs. Others are just OK, but like I said, much much better than a parking lot or vacant lot.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
I think its actually the other way around. LA doesn't have to claim anything since its already a globally recognizable powerhouse. What we have is corporations attaching their name to the city. The most ridiculous one I can think of ?

"The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"
Literally the most ridiculous name in the history of the sports world but since LA is more recognizable than Anaheim, they changed the name, with most of the residents in the OC furious with the change, already being in an everlasting shadow of LA.

Disney is different. What came first? Disney Studios/corporate office or Disneyland ? Disney studios/Corporate office opened decades before Disneyland did. So LA can claim the studios rightfully so but cant claim Disneyland and actually never does and neither does Disneyland vice versa.

Everything else. as said before. Its just easier to attach yourself to LA than the city you're in because its more recognizable. LA isn't doing it or asking for it, corporations are doing it for the exposure and value.

Imagine having the Carson Chargers or Lakewood Rams or the Pico Rivera Clippers. Hell how about the Norwalk Lakers ? HAHA everybody would be sooooo confused.
Corporations often do, but I'm taking about the parochialism among residents, who often claim LA by country limits vs city limits when convenient to boost LA's rankings. Such as arguing LA has 23 Fortune 500 companies vs 4, foodies arguing LA has the greatest ethnic food scene in the nation by including the Chinese food scene in the 626, or using the Norton Simon and Huntington to show the riches of the LA cultural institutions. Even Garcetti was the public voice of the NFL coming to Carson. In other words, Angelenos use the county's successes as their own. So if a guy from Carson claims to be from LA, it's fair play.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

I love The Frankentowers, they are the most urban pedestrian beautiful new buildings going up, especially the first one.

thanks for the pics...but sorry, I have to disagree about frankentower 2. Those white cutout lines?....

1:27....the globe theater on broadway finally is getting some TLC....

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:51 AM

As one who entertains, I totally like having balconies on these high rises. People love to be in the city and go on the balcony. It gives the feeling of being out in the mist of the hustle and bustle of the city and not being closed inside and only viewing it through the window. I know a plethora of people who don’t like Apex 1 because there are no balconies...hence that’s probably why they made sure to have balconies on Apex 2.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:08 PM

I might have to back track. you're right. Balconies can add a nice touch, especially when you're entertaining. A friend of mine lives on the top floor of the Broadway Palace and has a Balcony/Terrace to themselves and I easily spent 2 hours out there, drinking a beer and just staring at the progress of downtown. Funny, he complained about the new towers that are about to block his view HAHA. My only beef with these is 1. They add cost and 2. These buildings are literally becoming communites within itself. So we all want pedestrian activity increased on the streets downtown, but if your building has everything it needs, why leave.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I might have to back track. you're right. Balconies can add a nice touch, especially when you're entertaining. A friend of mine lives on the top floor of the Broadway Palace and has a Balcony/Terrace to themselves and I easily spent 2 hours out there, drinking a beer and just staring at the progress of downtown. Funny, he complained about the new towers that are about to block his view HAHA. My only beef with these is 1. They add cost and 2. These buildings are literally becoming communites within itself. So we all want pedestrian activity increased on the streets downtown, but if your building has everything it needs, why leave.
That’s why I think housing with no amenities should be built for those who care less about em. I’d rather pay cheaper for a place to live without a meeting space, dog run, pool, gym, bbq areas, MORE lounges, event spaces that I’ll Probably never use since I don’t need them or I have access to them outside of the complex which would allow me to engage in street activity and socialize with everyone around me. I feel like places like Broadway Palace, etc are just gated communities in a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:35 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
As one who entertains, I totally like having balconies on these high rises. People love to be in the city and go on the balcony. It gives the feeling of being out in the mist of the hustle and bustle of the city and not being closed inside and only viewing it through the window. I know a plethora of people who don’t like Apex 1 because there are no balconies...hence that’s probably why they made sure to have balconies on Apex 2.
Exactly! That's why I always laugh when I hear people comparing residential towers here to places like NY or Boston or Chicago. They don't have many balconies because their weather is shit 8 months out of the year most of the time. Most temperate cities in the world have balconies galore on their luxury towers.
Now, there are good and bad ways to do balconies. Some towers in LA have integrated them well (Circa), others just slapped them on as an afterthought (Onni 2).
I don't live in a tall tower, but in my apartment complex, I'm on my balcony constantly. Its an expanded living space.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:07 PM

The ground level pedestrian experience. I love the south group sidewalk

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:00 PM

Sidewalks

I totally agree--the new sidewalks throughout South Park are incredible. Reminds me of Mexico City where walking is a true pleasure; wide sidewalks with shaded benches and landscaping. It'll be hard to stretch sidewalks in the older part of town--Bunker Hill, Financial District, Historic Core--but South Park can really stand out as being the most pedestrian-friendly area in California outside SF or San Diego.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:50 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/city-centur...s-step-forward

Looks like City Centurys 3 tower Olympia project is still moving forward, now with complettion anticipated for 2023

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
https://urbanize.la/post/city-centur...s-step-forward

Looks like City Centurys 3 tower Olympia project is still moving forward, now with complettion anticipated for 2023
This is great news...Though somewhat simplistic, it's one of the coolest chic designs we have hopefully coming online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
I totally agree--the new sidewalks throughout South Park are incredible. Reminds me of Mexico City where walking is a true pleasure; wide sidewalks with shaded benches and landscaping. It'll be hard to stretch sidewalks in the older part of town--Bunker Hill, Financial District, Historic Core--but South Park can really stand out as being the most pedestrian-friendly area in California outside SF or San Diego.
I love the sidewalks too...but too many trees distract from seeing the skyscrapers. I.e. they need to cut/trim some of the trees by Staple Center. You can't get the full affect of Oceanwide.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:32 PM

^^^ I agree. The towers are jenga-ish but simplistic which is fine. I'm just happy that it will single handedly fill the gap between metropolis and LA Live to give us a solid skyline north to south. Always hated how LA live and the AT&T tower, now USC tower were separated from the rest of the skyline. The wide sidwalks with the trees and benches are a nice and easy/cheap touch for downtown. We still need parks but i feel this is a step in the right direction. Now all wee need to do is convert some of the one way streets back to 2 way streets and road diets. 4 lanes, 2 in each direction, are good enough for downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Corporations often do, but I'm taking about the parochialism among residents, who often claim LA by country limits vs city limits when convenient to boost LA's rankings. Such as arguing LA has 23 Fortune 500 companies vs 4, foodies arguing LA has the greatest ethnic food scene in the nation by including the Chinese food scene in the 626, or using the Norton Simon and Huntington to show the riches of the LA cultural institutions. Even Garcetti was the public voice of the NFL coming to Carson. In other words, Angelenos use the county's successes as their own. So if a guy from Carson claims to be from LA, it's fair play.
Not really an LA only problem in that sense if that's what you're saying. I think every major city in the country if not the world does things the same way. Like how all sections of Orange County stake claim into Disneyland even though its in Anaheim and only Anaheim. Moving to Orange County, the Disney pride is a bit funny and interesting. And funny how even in the far reaches of the county, like how the Targets in Laguna Hills has an entire section dedicated to Disney merchandise, even though its 23 miles away Same goes for the one by my house with a dedicated section even though its pretty much Long Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Exactly! That's why I always laugh when I hear people comparing residential towers here to places like NY or Boston or Chicago. They don't have many balconies because their weather is shit 8 months out of the year most of the time. Most temperate cities in the world have balconies galore on their luxury towers.
Now, there are good and bad ways to do balconies. Some towers in LA have integrated them well (Circa), others just slapped them on as an afterthought (Onni 2).
I don't live in a tall tower, but in my apartment complex, I'm on my balcony constantly. Its an expanded living space.
LOL that's interesting. Having lived in NYC for 2 years and visiting Chicago often, I never noticed a shortage of balconies in neither really, they just do them differently than we do, they do them better. Their style is more so like Terraces and integrated into the actual architecture of the buildings compared to the slapped on slabs of concrete that LA calls "balconies". Circa attempted to mimic the east coast style but still did a shitty job at it. Weather is also a factor but in a different way. Heavy snow sitting on flimsy balconies and the drastic changes in the seasons when compared to here, the exposed slabs of reinforced concrete don't last long in the constant changes. There's actually whole articles about it online that I found interesting. Not to mention, being a witness to it myself. I lived in a building on the 5th floor that had balconies, The railing was rusted and falling apart and the rebar in the concrete was showing, when I would walk on it, it would bounce slightly.

I'm personally not against balconies. I have one currently, seldom use it unless I have guests over. I just feel in the downtown setting. We're all collectively complaining about the lack of pedestrian activity in some areas but when these buildings are being built with every amenity under the sun, can we honestly complain about people housing themselves downtown but jumping in their cars and driving elsewhere to walk around....aka the west side and etc.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 29, 2018 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:44 PM

Visited downtown yesterday. Didn't grab any photos but the presence of the new buildings are certainly not going unnoticed. They're leaving a good impact. The population is noticeably increasing. But there are a few issues.

Look, I love LA just as much as the next guy but I've been visiting cities like San Diego and San Francisco and it's not even a competition. LA REALLY needs to invest in sidewalk maintenance. They're so dirty compared to the other cities. Sidewalks go a long way into the vibrancy of the city. Not to mention lighting. Facade lighting and streetlights. Clean the sidewalks, light the buildings up and you'll have a friendly neighborhood. Certain parts of town need their sidewalks ripped up and re-cemented entirely. Broadway is getting their new sidewalks soon. I truly hope they intend to repair the existing sidewalk too. Fingers crossed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations