HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:23 AM

110 SE Washington | 9 floors | 118’-10” | Dead

Early Assistance has been requested by Works Partnership for a project at 110 SE Washington St:

Quote:
Proposed 8-story mixed-use office and retail building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:44 AM
Karma Police

Early Assistance has been requested by Works Partnership for a project at 110 SE Washington St:

???
This is zoned IG1. How are they allowed to build an 8 story office/retail building here?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post

???
This is zoned IG1. How are they allowed to build an 8 story office/retail building here?
^Same thing I told my wife. Also, isn't that where Steven Smith Teamaker JUST opened their new tea room and packaging facility?? That was short lived!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:17 PM

Industrial Office Skyscraper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
^Same thing I told my wife. Also, isn't that where Steven Smith Teamaker JUST opened their new tea room and packaging facility?? That was short lived!
I presume the "office" will be the sort of "Industrial Office" use that is allowed in the district, such as in the Olympic Mills building right across the street. You know, "manufacturing" software, advertising, architecture, etc.

And of course you must have the "services" (up to 3000 sq. ft. of retail is allowed per site). In Olympic Mills, there are several yoga studios, personal trainers, etc., which are needed to soothe the aches caused by all those physical occupations. And, there's Mr. French's Coffee, as well as Olympia Provisions, which workers outside the building frequent as well.

So, there's your "Office and Retail", in IG-1!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:21 PM

Zoning allows up to 60,000 sq ft of "industrial office". There is also no height limit in the IG1 zone.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:53 PM
Karma Police

I know there's no height limit in industrial zones, but I'm curious how they determine the difference between "office" and "industrial office". I guess the latter just limits who your tenants can be? And is it 60,000sf per site, or per block? Seems like there are a lot of potential small 1/4 block sites that could be 6+ stories throughout the CEID.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:25 PM

The restriction is on who the end user is, although it is very liberally enforced (see Simple, a bank, who are moving into Clay Creative). The 60,000 sq ft is per site, not per block. That might be changing as part of CC2035, but I'd have to check.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Portland Maps shows 110 SE Washington extending to Alder, so I wonder if it's the vacant building on the SE corner of the block? It's been available for a while now and I don't think it's used by Steven Smith.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_PDX View Post
Portland Maps shows 110 SE Washington extending to Alder, so I wonder if it's the vacant building on the SE corner of the block? It's been available for a while now and I don't think it's used by Steven Smith.
Odd, but seems to make the most sense. So then this project would probably be the eastern half of the block.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Odd, but seems to make the most sense. So then this project would probably be the eastern half of the block.
It's an L-shaped site. The northern half of the block consists of two 50s buildings (or maybe one long one). The southeast quarter of the block is an 1890s wooden warehouse building, with tall double-hung windows, which was, in the last decade, covered over with metal panels, windows and all. If it's not a whole-block project, it would probably be only that quarter-block, on the NW corner of SE 2nd and Alder.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:40 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I know there's no height limit in industrial zones, but I'm curious how they determine the difference between "office" and "industrial office". I guess the latter just limits who your tenants can be? And is it 60,000sf per site, or per block? Seems like there are a lot of potential small 1/4 block sites that could be 6+ stories throughout the CEID.
IIRC, no lawyers allowed.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:18 PM

Works Partnership have applied for demolition permit and building permit for a project at 110 SE Washington St:

Quote:
Demo existing 2 story warehouse

Construct new 9 story building with underground parking;

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:20 PM

90,000 sq ft. Can anyone work out how this is allowed?

Quote:
A big-name Portland real estate player tees up the Central Eastside's next creative office building (Renderings)

The next new creative office building to redefine Portland's Central Eastside Industrial District will be a nine-story, 90,000-square-foot project that marries modern flair with a nod to neighborhood's industrial history.

Harsch Investment Properties, the expansive real estate investment firm headed by Jordan Schnitzer, has unveiled plans for the building, which will rise from the parcel at 129 S.E. Alder St. in the Central Eastside. The property sits adjacent to the Portland Storage Company and near other Harsch-owned properties in the district that are home to House Spirits Distillery and Steven Smith Teamaker.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 11:01 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

How it is allowed? An office building in an industrial space, my guess is the word "creative."

As for the building itself, I am really liking it. The WorksPA District is turning out nicely. Not many firms get to brag about basically having an entire district that they have designed the bulk of the architecture for.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:16 PM

Nice that WPA is able to make use of the left-over cubes from Block 75.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 8:35 AM

Quote:
It does look like it's within the employment opportunity subarea, which allows up to 60,000 SF of "industrial office" by right and more than that with approval of a conditional use permit. I don't think they applied for a conditional use permit to allow the 90,000 SF they are planning, so I'm baffled. Maybe they are applying for the building permit beforehand to avoid the construction excise tax and other new expensive fees that are about to begin?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:

Re: 110 SE Washington (building at Second and Yamhill)

Another "industrial" building, and PBOT is not requiring a sidewalk on SE 2nd. So, not only will you be walking in the street, but no street trees will fit their either. That's because, of course, 2nd is where all the loading docks are. And we wouldn't want people to walk a half a block on a sidewalk and have to turn around and go back when they discover it doesn't continue .

I predict that after a couple of trucks nose into those windows and break a few, there will be a row of bollards out in the street. Why not put in a curb and sidewalk in the first place?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 7:47 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Ring View Post
Another "industrial" building, and PBOT is not requiring a sidewalk on SE 2nd. So, not only will you be walking in the street, but no street trees will fit their either. That's because, of course, 2nd is where all the loading docks are. And we wouldn't want people to walk a half a block on a sidewalk and have to turn around and go back when they discover it doesn't continue .

I predict that after a couple of trucks nose into those windows and break a few, there will be a row of bollards out in the street. Why not put in a curb and sidewalk in the first place?
Its strange seeing the CEID build up like this. AFAIK, there are no design standards like there are over on NW 13th, even though the street has a similar function as a loading zone as NW 13th used to.

Quite a bit of the CEID (west of MLK) either has puny sidewalks or none at all; I see a lot of people who still walk around down there. The traffic is actually quite low, MLK, Grand, Water, Clay and Stark being the major exceptions.

The rendering above seems to have a slight setback with a sidewalk in the front, and large loading doors on 2nd on the right.

Still waiting for some multistory warehouses down there!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:34 PM

From the DJC article that I linked to in the 7 Southeast Stark thread:

Quote:
Nearby, Harsch Investment Properties has its eyes on 151 S.E. Alder St. The firm was working with Works Progress Architecture on a potential 10-story mixed-use building there; however, plans were put on hold, Roselli said.

“This one went first; it made more sense because we could do more parking,” he said in reference to 7 Southeast Stark. “That one, being a corner block, it’s more limited and we’ll hold for now.”

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 1:27 AM

No surprise, but this is officially dead. The building permit application expired in September.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland