HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:55 AM
Love Austin

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 10:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Here are some aerials from today of the near-East part of East Austin including Plaza Saltillo, looking eastward from I35. It looks so flat from above.

Is there still a plan in the works for those two blocks in the lower part of this pic? Something about an open market? Would be cool if they keep the smokestack and light it up at night.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:52 AM
World Traveler

A market would be pretty neat there - and useful. With the conspicuous lack of a good grocery store in the area (planned or otherwise), a market could meet some of those needs within walking distance for the residents who will live in the coming developments as well as the neighborhood. It could also serve as a good buffer between the single family homes and the denser development.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:55 AM
World Traveler

Quick question on the above photo: The building that's under construction along I-35 just south of 11th street - how tall is that one going to be? From this angle, and it could be just the perspective here, it seems like it might be one or two floors taller than the completed two buildings up there based on the elevator shafts that are built.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 1:05 AM
World Traveler

Another unrelated question:

I was looking at East Austin on Google Earth. It seems that there are some pretty decent open lots between Comal and Chalmers along 8th Street, and those bisected by Concho. Anyone know of anything going on there? It seems like a pretty good spot being right next to Huston-Tillotson and just slightly north of all the other East Austin development along 5th/6th/7th, etc. Not sure what the current zoning is either, but some low-rise apartments with some retail (at least on Chalmers) would make sense being right next to the university.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 1:06 AM
World Traveler

I was looking at East Austin on Google Earth. It seems that there are some pretty decent open lots between Comal and Chalmers along 8th Street, and those bisected by Concho. Anyone know of anything going on there? It seems like a pretty good spot being right next to Huston-Tillotson and just slightly north of all the other East Austin development along 5th/6th/7th, etc. Not sure what the current zoning is either, but some low-rise apartments with some retail (at least on Chalmers) would make sense being right next to the university. They have about a thousand students who probably like to eat lunch, for instance. And that in addition to the other growth of the surrounding area.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 1:27 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

I was looking at East Austin on Google Earth. It seems that there are some pretty decent open lots between Comal and Chalmers along 8th Street, and those bisected by Concho. Anyone know of anything going on there? It seems like a pretty good spot being right next to Huston-Tillotson and just slightly north of all the other East Austin development along 5th/6th/7th, etc. Not sure what the current zoning is either, but some low-rise apartments with some retail (at least on Chalmers) would make sense being right next to the university. They have about a thousand students who probably like to eat lunch, for instance. And that in addition to the other growth of the surrounding area.
I noticed the same thing before and looked up who owned them.... All Huston-Tillotson. That's a lot of valuable land.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Quick question on the above photo: The building that's under construction along I-35 just south of 11th street - how tall is that one going to be? From this angle, and it could be just the perspective here, it seems like it might be one or two floors taller than the completed two buildings up there based on the elevator shafts that are built.
I'm not sure, I noticed from I-35 that it will def be taller but it's also on top of the hill so that may be why it's taller than the others. Could have one or two more floors as well. Someone else would probably have more specific details.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:50 PM

That is the Tyndall. There is a CVC running through part of the lot so the tall part will be wedge shaped while the ugly parking garage is cut into the hill facing I35 and 8th Street.

http://buildingatx.com/2016/11/the-t...s-east-austin/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:57 PM

The 146 page RBJ Center redevelopment site plan is available from this week's AULCC meeting documents. There are some elevations beginning on page 115. Here's the layout:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...reet_PLANS.pdf

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:21 PM
Meh

^I was just going to post that. No elevations of the main tower, though. I remember someone had posted a rendering showing what they were planning for the facade upgrade to the tower. For some reason, I didn't save it. Does anyone still have that?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 10:24 AM

http://sites.utexas.edu/gradnews/

Quote:
As planned over the last couple of years and included in the 2015 East Campus Master Plan, UT Austin will begin construction on a new graduate housing complex the week of August 7 by installing construction fences between Leona and Comal, just north and east of the UT softball stadium (red shaded area on map). The construction period will last two years and is scheduled to be finished by Fall 2019.

The housing along Leona St will be two stories in height, facing the neighborhood. As the buildings progress west, they go to four stories, then six stories closer to Comal St. There will be up to 750 graduate students in the complex along with two full time Complex-Coordinators living on site. There will be some retail venues along East 21st and Comal St. Residents of the complex who bring cars to Austin will be encouraged to park in the new UT Austin garage just west of the baseball stadium.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 10:44 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Austin Monitor had this story today about the Planning Commission approving an auto salvage yard being turned into mixed use. I don't have a subscription, so I can only read the first paragraph.

Quote:
Continuing tension over gentrification, density and a lack of adequate planning for growth on the city’s east side converged on an unlikely fight to preserve an East Austin junkyard at the most recent meeting of the Planning Commission.
https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...d-use-project/

I think it's at 3212 E Cesar Chavez St (at least that's the business pictured): https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...!4d-97.7078168

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:02 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ok, I found the story on another source. It is indeed 3212 E Cesar Chavez AND 111 Tillery St. They want 321 multi-family units and 4400 sq ft of retail.

The community opposed it because they want more affordable units aimed at families and artists.

It passed 9-1.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

While looking for this on the permit search, I came across something nextdoor at 3232 & 3306 E Cesar Chavez: https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=89996

They also want to change from commercial to mixed use. It's about 3.4 acres.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:47 AM
Meh

East 6 site plan - 2010 East 6th Street - 4 floors - 61 feet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...t_PLANS_03.pdf

1614 East 6th Street - 5 floors - 62 feet

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...2_PLANS_02.pdf

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 8:09 PM

Progress at condos on Chicon near 12th st. Some pics from today:

EDIT: sorry for the gigantic images. link to gallery

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 8:27 PM

Good to see work being done on those two after being stalled for about a year. It will be interesting to see what kind of ground floor retail they attract.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:36 AM

BuildingATX has a photo of the crane going up this weekend for the Arrive Hotel.

https://twitter.com/BuildingATX

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 11:18 PM

News that Main Street Hub will be occupying the new building at the former CARTS site.

"The four-story, 114,000-square-foot new headquarters building will go up at 2010 E. Sixth Street, between Chicon and Robert Martinez Jr. streets. Capital Area Rural Transportation System, which previously occupied the site…"

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ma...vvzbHIQk6Y9lI/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin