HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:07 AM

Texas leads nation in refugee resettlement

Quote:
By Tony Freemantle
Published 08:44 p.m., Sunday, June 10, 2012

It could be that the weather has something to do with it, or that Houston has one of the lowest unemployment rates for a big city. Housing here is relatively cheaper than in other places, too, and while it's not an easy place to get around, one can do it with a little perseverance, which these newcomers have in abundance.

But ultimately, the main reason Houston, and Texas, are the No. 1 destinations for refugees seeking haven in the United States could simply be that the word is getting around. Thanks to word of mouth, more and more of the world's refugees lucky enough to qualify for resettlement in America are asking to come to Houston or Texas.

Last year, for the first time since at least 2000, more refugees - 5,623 of them, or 10 percent of the national total - were settled in Texas than in any other state, something, perhaps, to celebrate as this most-diverse of American cities this week marks World Refugee Day.

They come, literally, from virtually every corner of the globe, but the vast majority of refugees to the United States are now coming from Burma, Bhutan and Iraq - a demographic echoed by the people arriving in Houston.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...nt-3623614.php

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:47 AM

So, the River Oaks District lost the high rise W Hotel + Condos, the 30+ story apartment tower, the 16 story Meridien Hotel, and the 10+ story office tower.

Good news though, looks like we're getting more 4 story apartments with bleh exteriors.

This thing looks boring. I cannot believe they are tearing down solid brick apartments with beautiful courtyards to build this bland piece of crap. Oh, and what stores are going to fill these spaces? Less than a mile to the West, you'll find the freaking Galleria and less than half a mile to the East, you'll land in Highland Village!

Without the towers and landmark architecture, there is NOTHING about this development that will draw people from the outside in. This thing is a big, fat FAIL.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

Lots of new development in old freedmans town going on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
So, the River Oaks District lost the high rise W Hotel + Condos, the 30+ story apartment tower, the 16 story Meridien Hotel, and the 10+ story office tower.

Good news though, looks like we're getting more 4 story apartments with bleh exteriors.

This thing looks boring. I cannot believe they are tearing down solid brick apartments with beautiful courtyards to build this bland piece of crap. Oh, and what stores are going to fill these spaces? Less than a mile to the West, you'll find the freaking Galleria and less than half a mile to the East, you'll land in Highland Village!

Without the towers and landmark architecture, there is NOTHING about this development that will draw people from the outside in. This thing is a big, fat FAIL.
Geeze, did the developer and/or the architect run over your dog?

It's a bummer this ambitious project got scaled back, but considering there have been quite a bit of apartment construction east of 610 near the Galleria/Uptown/River Oaks area, more retail is probably needed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 7:21 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Texas leads nation in refugee resettlement

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...nt-3623614.php
I like the sound of this...not only because it means new types of people will help Houston escape the idea that it's a city of suburbs, but I also think that new ethnic enclaves will add a layer of vibrance to this city that's just coming of age in a lot of ways. The great American cities are known for being diverse and having several "Little ___s" that make them unique.

Are there already any major ethnic populations in Houston?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yeah tons, we have huge Chinese/Japanese/Indian sections in Bellaire, Viatnamese northwest of Bellaire, Middle Eastern enclaves east o.f Bellaire, and large Viatnamese communities in Galveston where they pretty much run the shrimping industry. Then of course half the city is Latino. Houston is probably one of the most diverse cities in the nation. Its just not as visible as in places like NYC because they are spread out over such a huge sprawling area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Geeze, did the developer and/or the architect run over your dog?

It's a bummer this ambitious project got scaled back, but considering there have been quite a bit of apartment construction east of 610 near the Galleria/Uptown/River Oaks area, more retail is probably needed.
i agree with him. at this point, what's replacing those apartments (which are quite nice) is a pretty big disappointment.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
i agree with him. at this point, what's replacing those apartments (which are quite nice) is a pretty big disappointment.
We'll yes it's a big disappointment, but how is this a fail like Shasta said? The economic outlook globally isn't positive which affects a major sector of Houston's economy.

Also consider the Skanska development in Uptown calls for another office and a hotel in the next phase. Not to mention the rumblings at BLVD place. Seems when considering the big picture this scale back was a good move in general but I do question the amount of apartments to retail (now that I think about it more). High St. is going up next door already and will have a bit of retail. Overall, though good for developer but sh*tty for us urban/architecture buff.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
We'll yes it's a big disappointment, but how is this a fail like Shasta said? The economic outlook globally isn't positive which affects a major sector of Houston's economy.

Also consider the Skanska development in Uptown calls for another office and a hotel in the next phase. Not to mention the rumblings at BLVD place. Seems when considering the big picture this scale back was a good move in general but I do question the amount of apartments to retail (now that I think about it more). High St. is going up next door already and will have a bit of retail. Overall, though good for developer but sh*tty for us urban/architecture buff.
I believe you are mixing up Skanska with BBVA. BBVA will have a hotel in the next phase, but Skanska is strictly an office building development.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

Compass bbva

Gables at tanglewood apartments and retail.

Last edited by photoLith; Jun 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:39 PM
Endless Moments...

Oooo very nice. I look at BBVA every day on the web cam.

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
I believe you are mixing up Skanska with BBVA. BBVA will have a hotel in the next phase, but Skanska is strictly an office building development.
Ah, yes.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
can't speak for him but i always thought the existing complex was quite nice (almost moved there) and whatever replaced them had to be be exceptional and it was but it has since been "value engineered" to mediocrity.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
can't speak for him but i always thought the existing complex was quite nice (almost moved there) and whatever replaced them had to be be exceptional and it was but it has since been "value engineered" to mediocrity.
Well i can dig that, but I guess we are just being subjective at this point. I think these apartments look better than most of what is going up and what it is replacing, but that's just my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

I always forget the name of this apartment building but whatever, it's right off westheimer next to that crappy CVS.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 8:21 PM

From my blog, a few pics:

Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Building for Personalized Cancer Care

Heights Wal-Mart

High Street

Washington & Sawyer apts

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Beavers, my favorite place in Houston, the bar tenders at Sunday brunch are fucking hilarious. As much as I hate Walmart, that Heights walmart will make things much more convenient for me in getting random shit I cant find at Randalls and Whole Foods; like contacts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 1:08 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I might be moving up the street from that BEavers joint.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:56 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Man, you totally should, that would be a hell of a lot better than living out in the boondocks. You should look into some of the kick ass old Victorian homes in the old 6th ward.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:53 PM

some pics from my blog

Gables Post Oak

The Pearl at Greenway

2525 McCue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations