HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 12:25 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
My 2011 Mazda 3 GT. Just hit 63k, thanks to having lived 5 minutes from work for the last 8 months, and now working from home. There's a lot less miles to put on that way... Lovely car, though. Been nothing but reliable.
Your old commute must have been huge. I have a 2011 Mazda and just hit 38,000km. 3km commute currently, 15km 2+ years ago.

Gonna drive down to Oregon soon though, that should test it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Your old commute must have been huge. I have a 2011 Mazda and just hit 38,000km. 3km commute currently, 15km 2+ years ago.

Gonna drive down to Oregon soon though, that should test it.
Not that terrible. 15km each way for about 3 years. I also road tripped quite a bit, probably put 30k of highway k's as well.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 12:37 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Not that terrible. 15km each way for about 3 years. I also road tripped quite a bit, probably put 30k of highway k's as well.
Ok yeah I generally don't drive any farther than Whistler/Seattle (from Vancouver) and never go east.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Yeah Ford really knocked it out of the park with this generation of Fusion. From the sounds of things build quality is also very high, setting Ford apart from the other domestics.
This terminology always seemed strange to me, especially since the Auto Pact died. There's nothing domestic about Ford. I drive a Ford too and it's no less an import than a Honda or BMW.

But yeah Ford's design is outstanding in the last few years. I drive a 2012 Focus, which I actually think looks better than the facelifted 2015. Mine's blue. Great handling, looks, and practicality.

http://www.bestcarwallpapers.net/201...ck-wallpaper-2

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:22 AM
ARTchitecture

2012 Jeep Wrangler...

Camping by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
2012 Jeep Wrangler...

Camping by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
Too bad you're ignoring me, because you're going to miss a genuine compliment on your choice of vehicle, which seems to serve as intended! (And you can triple it, if manual.)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:54 AM

The fuel economy is what you'd expect from a 4.3L pushrod designed in the 70s. Its hard to see out of. Cranked windows, manual locks, and you roll down the window to push the mirrors around. The original window sticker proudly boasts that the stereo can receive both AM and FM. The doors squeak and the plastic dashboard rattles.

But its the first car I've owned worth more than $1000, and the first without major mechanical or electrical problems. So it has that going for it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:00 AM

"Designed in the late '70s?" The basic design is actually from 1955. Your Sonoma's engine is essentially a good old pushrod Gen I Chevy Smallblock with two cylinders missing.

It should serve you well for a long time, though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"Designed in the late '70s?" The basic design is actually from 1955. Your Sonoma's engine is essentially a good old pushrod Gen I Chevy Smallblock with two cylinders missing.

It should serve you well for a long time, though.
To the point that many parts are still interchangeable. My potentially-false hope is that this makes it the automotive thrifty-fifty; the way that the Nikon 50/1.8 is their best lens in large part because proto-humans started making them only shortly after the discovery of fire.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM

It's one of the greatest engines of all time... More often than not, it's what you'll find under the hoods of restored old Fords and independents from the '30s-'50s.

The best compliment you can make to that Chevy engine is the existence of countless numbers of cars like this at the moment: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1684851.html

(I recently saw a gorgeous '40 Ford Deluxe even nicer than this one and the valve covers of the crate 350 actually had Chevrolet and the bowtie logo written on them... )

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
It's one of the greatest engines of all time... More often than not, it's what you'll find under the hoods of restored old Fords and independents from the '30s-'50s.

The best compliment you can make to that Chevy engine is the existence of countless numbers of cars like this at the moment: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1684851.html

(I recently saw a gorgeous '40 Ford Deluxe even nicer than this one and the valve covers of the crate 350 actually had Chevrolet and the bowtie logo written on them... )
Giving the term "built Ford tough with Chevy Stuff". The aftermarket for that engine is just a monster, which has added to its appeal.

The only engine that seems to come close to rivaling the size of parts in the aftermarket of the small block chevy is the later push rod EFI HO fords.

Not to give them a bad name or anything but they have become a bit passe for those who are avant garde with their vintage tin. I'm included in this, as I built up a 350 for that 1927 only to decide to swap in a old early 283 which I might yank for something even smaller and more modern.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
Giving the term "built Ford tough with Chevy Stuff".
Surprisingly, many vintage Ford owners actually seem to be okay with the engine's Chevy valve covers... Here are a couple examples, and I'm sure I could easily find plenty more:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1659832.html

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1722274.html

These guys would all deserve to have this put on their cars' trunk/bumper with a big X on the blue oval logo and "Chevy" written in ink!

FWIW, I used to own a '46 business coupe Ford shell, and when looking around for an engine I strictly stuck with Ford options. I ended up buying a scrap Grand Marquis for its FI 302. Never completed the project, though... But I would never put a SBC in a non-GM vehicle. The idea bugs me.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I used to own a '46 business coupe Ford shell, and when looking around for an engine I strictly stuck with Ford options. I ended up buying a scrap Grand Marquis for its FI 302. Never completed the project, though... But I would never put a SBC in a non-GM vehicle. The idea bugs me.
Those are interesting cars for sure, there is just an added cost for using ford engines. Especially if you used a FE motor, albeit BBC's arent cheap either.

In the late 50's there were quite a few tri 5's running 392's. There are also lots of chevy owners swapping out 10 and 12 bolts for 9 inchs.

I'm actually looking at doing a modern 4 cylinder swap into the T, since the car is light and the biggest complaints I hear from people about these things is the fuel economy. 40mpg in a model T wouldn't be bad(people often forget how light these things are, mine weighs about 1200lbs lighter than a honda civic) with modern 4 cylinders there are plenty of power for the cars.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:13 PM

My current car just picked it up last week at Dukes.

Posted on : www.thebikeexpress.com

Hoping to pick up one of these this summer.

Posted on: http://i.imgur.com

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:38 PM
HVAC guru

Any day now.. As soon as it stops snowing...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 4:06 AM

LOL ... I went for a quick drive in Old Quebec city this afternoon but I didn't suspected that I was going to appear on daily news today
The blue Hyundai Elantra at 1:35

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...11-090623.html

That made my day lol

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 4:31 AM

I sold by 1996 Acura Integra in favor of a Trek Mendota, Car2Go and Evo. Saved about 2000-3000 a year.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:25 AM

I drive a 2003 Ford Focus. It's not my car though; it's a family car, that me and my dad share. It's at 280000+ km, and I must admit, it's a piece of shit. It's on its last leg of life, has about a year or so until it craps out.

I'm buying my own car in June/July, hoping to get a Dodge Dart.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:44 AM

2009 Pontiac G8. I like it. A sportin' look. The last year of production.

popularmechanics.com

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
2009 Pontiac G8. I like it. A sportin' look. The last year of production.

popularmechanics.com
Nice! V8 or V6? I like it much more than its successor, the Chevrolet SS (which I don't think is even available in Canada).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada