HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:49 PM

I think the real reason why suburbanites (including myself) don't go to the Rideau Centre (and downtown in general) is that it is becoming more and more difficult to get there. Too much traffic, too little parking, and too many traffic signals on the way there. I have lived in this city all my life and I know how much more difficult it is to get downtown than years ago.

The Confederation Line will not significantly help since it won't serve most surbanites efficiently. The Confederation Line is being designed for commuters and that is about it. You have to transfer to your half hourly or hourly bus to get you pretty well anywhere in the city. There aren't even any Park n Rides on the Confederation Line. Too bad.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think the real reason why suburbanites (including myself) don't go to the Rideau Centre (and downtown in general) is that it is becoming more and more difficult to get there. Too much traffic, too little parking, and too many traffic signals on the way there. I have lived in this city all my life and I know how much more difficult it is to get downtown than years ago.

The Confederation Line will not significantly help since it won't serve most surbanites efficiently. The Confederation Line is being designed for commuters and that is about it. You have to transfer to your half hourly or hourly bus to get you pretty well anywhere in the city. There aren't even any Park n Rides on the Confederation Line. Too bad.
If the Confederation Line gets commuters cars off the roads and allows several hundred people to flow through downtown each minute, thus reducing the amount of traffic and increasing the amount of available parking spaces, wouldn't the Confed Line indirectly help suburbanites access downtown a little easier?

Also, in theory, if the Confed Line is used as much as the City claims it will be, theoretically the city will increase the amount and frequency of the buses heading towards any of the Confed Line/O-Train stations - so your current half hourly or hourly buses may be increased to become quarter hourly or half hourly buses.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:

I skip the fight to find parking and head straight to the city's parking garage in the Market. Other than rush hour, I find it pretty easy to get down there at any time.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:26 PM

I usually park in the parking garage attached to the Rideau Centre and I've never had much trouble finding parking other than during really busy days during the holidays.

Oddly, most people parking in that parking garage go up until they find a space in the southern section of the garage, but there's usually lots of spaces available on the northern section. On the second floor, there's an entrance into the mall which brings you right near the Apple Store.

The entrance on Nicholas is sometimes closed so I've gotten used to entering the parking garage through Daly Ave. I usually come in from Wellington St, turn right on MacKenzie Ave which merges into Colonel By Dr and then turn left on Daly and I've found this to be the simplest and fastest way to get there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
I usually park in the parking garage attached to the Rideau Centre and I've never had much trouble finding parking other than during really busy days during the holidays.

Oddly, most people parking in that parking garage go up until they find a space in the southern section of the garage, but there's usually lots of spaces available on the northern section. On the second floor, there's an entrance into the mall which brings you right near the Apple Store.

The entrance on Nicholas is sometimes closed so I've gotten used to entering the parking garage through Daly Ave. I usually come in from Wellington St, turn right on MacKenzie Ave which merges into Colonel By Dr and then turn left on Daly and I've found this to be the simplest and fastest way to get there.
Once on a Friday, I parked at the Rideau Centre right next to the hole in the ground (and in my heart ) that use to be the Ogilvy Building. Cost me 20$! On a Friday night!!! Another reason for me to boycott those evil bastards.

I can support my favourite stores in another mall.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Once on a Friday, I parked at the Rideau Centre right next to the hole in the ground (and in my heart ) that use to be the Ogilvy Building. Cost me 20$! On a Friday night!!! Another reason for me to boycott those evil bastards.

How long did you stay there for? I think the most I've ever paid was $16 and I was parked for quite a while.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 AM

On weekends I take advantage of the free parking at the World Exchange Plaza and walk anywhere I need to go downtown. During the week I take advantage of the free on street parking in the market after 5:30pm. My third option is the parking garage in the market. I never have trouble parking downtown.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
How long did you stay there for? I think the most I've ever paid was $16 and I was parked for quite a while.
No more than 3 hours. I was shocked at the price.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:40 PM

Goodness, I'm going to call a wahmbulance for all of you. High cost of parking down town, traffic lights, people, traffic, WALKING, HOMELESS - the TERROR!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
On weekends I take advantage of the free parking at the World Exchange Plaza and walk anywhere I need to go downtown. During the week I take advantage of the free on street parking in the market after 5:30pm. My third option is the parking garage in the market. I never have trouble parking downtown.
I keep forgetting about the World Exchange Plaza.... Thanks for the reminder

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Goodness, I'm going to call a wahmbulance for all of you. High cost of parking down town, traffic lights, people, traffic, WALKING, HOMELESS - the TERROR!
Cost of parking downtown is understandable, but 20$ on a Friday night is a complete rip off. I don't even know a parking garage that charges 20$ during business hours. Same with traffic; if you know the city (downtown) well enough, you can get around it. Otherwise, put on the radio. The homeless don't scare me one bit, but they, along with other sketchy characters around Rideau, scare people I know.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 5:09 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

Parking in the same spot for months on end while doing the photos of the deconstruction, I just naturally end up in the same area every time I park downtown. It is what it is. We only have Ogilvys & Robinson's to blame for the lack of upkeep over the years that brought it to this point. The attached warehouse (where ground parking is now) should've been done better instead of hacking the West side. Also Robinson's wrecked the place when they were there. That's more reasons why its a hole. But I always look into it and think, oh well, at least I got to "visit" it one last time before it transforms back to its original look. Had the "mm" not been mentioned, no one would've noticed.. Everyone from its original existence is LONG dead... As for $20, I've never paid that much and I park there all the time for weird periods of time.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
Parking in the same spot for months on end while doing the photos of the deconstruction, I just naturally end up in the same area every time I park downtown. It is what it is. We only have Ogilvys & Robinson's to blame for the lack of upkeep over the years that brought it to this point. The attached warehouse (where ground parking is now) should've been done better instead of hacking the West side. Also Robinson's wrecked the place when they were there. That's more reasons why its a hole. But I always look into it and think, oh well, at least I got to "visit" it one last time before it transforms back to its original look. Had the "mm" not been mentioned, no one would've noticed.. Everyone from its original existence is LONG dead... As for $20, I've never paid that much and I park there all the time for weird periods of time.
I suspect Robinson's is likely to blame for taking out the bird cage elevators and the overhangs over the entrances (maybe, all I know is they were there in the summer of 1985).

But Rideau Centre management, be it Viking Rideau and Eaton's, which no longer exist, or Cadillac Fairview who have always owned a share of the Rideau Centre, they, along with the City of Ottawa with their poor heritage bylaws, are to blame for the sorry state of the exterior.

Oh, and you are right, most people who remember the 1907 rendition of the building are (mostly) all gone, the better the reason why they should have kept the 1934-1950s building. And I swear they charged me 20$.

Look at the Stiches picture, and we can't see any major damage (for example, the spandrel panels that were missing pieces or the bricks replaces with red tape or the granite pieces that fell off...) and that was taken about half a decade after the Rideau Centre bought it.

I know it's gone and I know there is nothing I can do about, but I'm allowed to be pissed. All we will have left is a hanging art piece on the wall of an ugly modern building that I guarantee will not last 100+ years.

As for the other Ogilvy buildings on Rideau (the west expansions), it didn't have any negative effects on the original Ogilvy building so I don't see how it matters. It is pretty easy to make something pretty with a blank wall. Paint it, put a sign whatever. Not like we don't have other historic buildings with ugly blank walls (Union Station and Transportation Building are the most prominent examples).

BTW, I still greatly appreciate your work and I still want to buy the posters and book once you publish. Even if we have varied opinions on the fate of the Ogilvy, I still respect your work.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 4:29 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

Yea... Its a shame.

We share the same view on its fate, but in a different context. I never wanted this building to go anywhere, but our lovely city and surrounding stuff made it that it had to go that way. Had it never been touched in the 40s, maybe the "salvation" would've been different. There must've been a reason as to why the entire 1906 brick was stripped in the 40s, yet the 1916 brick in the back was left. Something must've gone wrong for them to replace an entire section and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

I wish it could've been saved as it was, but it couldn't and it wasn't, so I can't dwell on the past and past ignorance of some people "in charge". I take the future of it as it comes and we'll see how it pans out. I'm sure it'll be nice. I gotta think positive. At least I'm keeping the memories alive in the mean time, and I guess that's cool. All we have for now is the past, and I'll preserve it as best as I can. I saw the state of the building. As it stood in December, it wasn't savable. Had it been maintained between 2006-2012, maybe, but the heat in that building was shut off in 2005, so till then it was being maintained, but it was slated for "deconstruction" in 2006, but Viking, due most likely to lack of funds, shut down the project and the building was left to the elements for 7 years. On a building that old, it took a HUGE toll on it. As a frame, it was solid, but it was falling apart on the inside. The mortar can only last so long on the inside and outside. You saw the missing bricks, it was starting to go because it wasn't maintained. Adding all those factors up is what made me come to my conclusion of its future. Its better this way. Yes, its weird that it'll be mounted in front of a glass cube is different, but its a sketch. It'll obviously look much different when its done.

I'm the last person who wanted this to go away, but its gone and I've accepted it. Its future it much brighter now and it'll get the TLC it so much deserved. I know it will

Quote:
I suspect Robinson's is likely to blame for taking out the bird cage elevators and the overhangs over the entrances (maybe, all I know is they were there in the summer of 1985).

But Rideau Centre management, be it Viking Rideau and Eaton's, which no longer exist, or Cadillac Fairview who have always owned a share of the Rideau Centre, they, along with the City of Ottawa with their poor heritage bylaws, are to blame for the sorry state of the exterior.

Oh, and you are right, most people who remember the 1907 rendition of the building are (mostly) all gone, the better the reason why they should have kept the 1934-1950s building. And I swear they charged me 20$.

Look at the Stiches picture, and we can't see any major damage (for example, the spandrel panels that were missing pieces or the bricks replaces with red tape or the granite pieces that fell off...) and that was taken about half a decade after the Rideau Centre bought it.

I know it's gone and I know there is nothing I can do about, but I'm allowed to be pissed. All we will have left is a hanging art piece on the wall of an ugly modern building that I guarantee will not last 100+ years.

As for the other Ogilvy buildings on Rideau (the west expansions), it didn't have any negative effects on the original Ogilvy building so I don't see how it matters. It is pretty easy to make something pretty with a blank wall. Paint it, put a sign whatever. Not like we don't have other historic buildings with ugly blank walls (Union Station and Transportation Building are the most prominent examples).

BTW, I still greatly appreciate your work and I still want to buy the posters and book once you publish. Even if we have varied opinions on the fate of the Ogilvy, I still respect your work.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 4:42 AM

Quote:
I think the real reason why suburbanites (including myself) don't go to the Rideau Centre (and downtown in general) is that it is becoming more and more difficult to get there.
I have always lived in central neighbourhoods, including close to the Rideau Centre, and I barely ever set foot in the place.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I have always lived in central neighbourhoods, including close to the Rideau Centre, and I barely ever set foot in the place.
So you drive to Bayshore, St. Laurent instead? that would surprise me. If you just don't shop, or do it in Montreal than I am not sure what your point is.

Last edited by YOWetal; Jun 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:

You know, you can look to see what the fares would be BEFORE you park. I highly doubt they jacked up the hourly fee while you were shopping.

But if that lot is too pricey, go to one of the 1/2 dozen lots in the immediate area, or if you were there at night, park on the street, it's free.

Boycotting the Rideau centre because you think one specific parking lot is too pricey seems a little bizarre to me.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Don't forget about the shadows caused by all the high rises! What has this city come to!?!?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
Yea... Its a shame.

We share the same view on its fate, but in a different context. I never wanted this building to go anywhere, but our lovely city and surrounding stuff made it that it had to go that way. Had it never been touched in the 40s, maybe the "salvation" would've been different. There must've been a reason as to why the entire 1906 brick was stripped in the 40s, yet the 1916 brick in the back was left. Something must've gone wrong for them to replace an entire section and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.
Didn't know it was heated until 2005. I want to comment, but I won't.

As for the 1907 bricks being replaced in the 40s but not the 1916, I figure it was a modernization effort and the reason they did not replace the 1916 was likely about cost savings. I guess they figured that "cleaning up" the main face would be enough and that doing the whole thing might not be worth the cost. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with masonry damage, otherwise they would also have replaced the strip between the third story window and the fourth floor. Considering the fate of the building, I guess I'm glad they limited the work to the 1907 portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24
You know, you can look to see what the fares would be BEFORE you park. I highly doubt they jacked up the hourly fee while you were shopping.

But if that lot is too pricey, go to one of the 1/2 dozen lots in the immediate area, or if you were there at night, park on the street, it's free.

Boycotting the Rideau centre because you think one specific parking lot is too pricey seems a little bizarre to me.
I usually park in the City's parking garage in the Market, but it was full that day so I had to find an alternative and street parking wasn't an option on a Friday evening. I don't remember checking the price board, but I don't remember ever seeing it at 20$ in the past and certainly did not think it would be 20$ on a Friday night. I guess I should stop making assumptions and do my research.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
So you drive to Bayshore, St. Laurent instead? that would surprise me. If you just don't shop, or do it in Montreal than I am not sure what your point is.
Don't know about him, but I'm the same way. I shop at the independent stores on Bank St in the Glebe and Centretown, on Elgin St., along Wellington West/Richmond, and in the Market. Prettly much the only chain stores I shop at are Chapters, the LCBO/Beer Store, and Home Depot/Lowes... and I would love to see a decent hardware/lumber supply in the core because it would knock off one of those from the list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa