HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have to say, even though I love big TV's and splashy electrical lighty up thingies as much as the next guy I find some of these new jumbotrons are getting too big. After attending a Cowboys game last year I had amazement as a first impression of their huge scoreboard but as the game started I actually found it quite distracting. My buddy caught me many times watching the play on the screen as opposed to on the field (we had great seats).

As long as the display at MTS is crystal clear I have a feeling here that bigger is not always better.

I couldn't agree more, Even BC place was distracting and it's half the size of cowboys stadium. Jets are doing it right. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me) that the half ring that hangs down from the bottom of the scoreboard with the lit up logo, will have screens on it that will display the game play info. That way the entire board will be used for game play which will make it plenty big enough.

If Someone hasn't figured it out by now. Their will be 2 giant Jets logos in the new board. the one you see in the middle of the board standing upright. And this one that will hang off the bottom like The Canadian Tire Centre's logo. And I'm pretty sure those empty side panels will be screens

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:33 PM

^ I never thought the issue with the MTS Centre scoreboard screen was really size... I mean, it could stand to be a bit bigger, but it doesn't have to be triple the size or anything... it was really more an issue of resolution. The details look fuzzy during replays and it's pretty hard to see the finer points of what's happening. The massive Godzilla jumbotrons are just overkill IMO... it's like putting a 70" TV right in your bedroom, just way too big.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:25 PM

There's still another ribbon to be added on top of the main part of the screen.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's still another ribbon to be added on top of the main part of the screen.
It was basically the first thing that was built. It's lowered separately to the scoreboard itself. The main board actually fits in between the top ring for concerts

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
It was basically the first thing that was built. It's lowered separately to the scoreboard itself. The main board actually fits in between the top ring for concerts

That's cool.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That's cool.
Is Fueled by passion gone?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Is Fueled by passion gone?
Replaced with the playoff slogan.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 1:45 PM

It was time for new licence plates anyways.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:49 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:58 PM

Looks like they got most of the ribbon board on. Way bigger than the last one and Im not sure if they are putting the old fuelled by passion board back up but the playoff one is coming down on the press box whats interesting is the brackets that you can see up there closley match the ones used for the ribbon board. They may add another strip to the press box

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:44 PM
Aspiring.

Walked through MTS Centre to Tim's this morning and noticed the walk-through metal detectors at the doors. I haven't been through there for a while so two questions - how new is this and are they permanent?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
Walked through MTS Centre to Tim's this morning and noticed the walk-through metal detectors at the doors. I haven't been through there for a while so two questions - how new is this and are they permanent?
Sounds like a new NHL security directive... every year it seems that security at the sports venues gets ramped up. Hopefully they'll process people efficiently without huge lines ensuing.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sounds like a new NHL security directive... every year it seems that security at the sports venues gets ramped up. Hopefully they'll process people efficiently without huge lines ensuing.
Excellent solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM

Metal detectors are all about people having a false sense of security. They dont prevent anything. They just feel nice.

Ever wonder the level of training of the young girl in the low cut top at the bar that monitors the metal detector when you walk in? And then when you set it off and she confirms you have your keys and some loose change in your pocket? Never mind the knife stuffed down your pants or the gun in your sock.

Silliness.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
Well they did always pat people down and check purses/bags at games... maybe this is just to move the lines quicker... you know how those Moose fans can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Excellent solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
No kidding, I'd love to see some stats on the amount of "weapons" confiscated. At least at IGF they're honest about just looking for drinks so you have to pay $5 for water because the one water fountain on your concourse dispenses 1mL/second.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Entrance security at MLB games went up several notches this spring.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
It will be a learning process for the first while, that is for sure. I know going to the Bomber games I know most of the time I will be checked with the hand held scanners. I prepare according and have everything metal visible and in my hands before hitting the gate. In Glendale they have had the walk through metal detectors for years and it goes fairly smoothly if people are ready when they get to the scanner. You really don't want to be the one idiot that forgets something in your pockets and needs repeated scannings to fix it slowing down the whole line in the process.

It will be interesting if they work on applying similar tightening of security of some of their previous weak points.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:19 PM

^ I know no one is going to stay away from games strictly on account of ramped up security, but the hassle involved (get there a few minutes earlier to account for security lineups, and will they still let you go out during intermission?) is just one more small reason to stay home and watch on TV instead.

When you consider the relative hassle and expense involved with attending hockey and football games in this city, it's practically a small miracle that so many people still do.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
^ I know no one is going to stay away from games strictly on account of ramped up security, but the hassle involved (get there a few minutes earlier to account for security lineups, and will they still let you go out during intermission?) is just one more small reason to stay home and watch on TV instead.

When you consider the relative hassle and expense involved with attending hockey and football games in this city, it's practically a small miracle that so many people still do.
There's always this argument that 'if you haven't done anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about', but this type of security creep is insidious. If you're always adding this layer of anxiety to perfectly law-abiding people where the assumption is that everybody is out to create trouble until it's proven they aren't, it's just one more thing.

My guess is that True North is happy to create a situation whereby the ordeal of having to clear 'security' more than once is enough to keep people from purchasing discount beer at the Tavern or anywhere else.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:

1. This level of security has been common at other pro sports facilities for years.
2. It is less invasive than what MTS has been doing for years.
3. If anything the change should speed up the security lines, not slow them down.

RE: In/out privileges - it used to essentially be mandatory due to the lack of washrooms/long lines. As they are proactively working to resolve that watch them move to a no in/out policy across all events, not just Jets games. The Bombers/stadium has had that policy for years now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan