HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 5:13 PM

I moved to Whalley 3 years ago, and I quite like it. My wife and I walk around with our baby almost every day, and for the most part, the area isn't filled with the type of people that you talk about.

The worse areas for shady looking people is directly on Surrey Parkway beside the skytrain, from there up to Gateway station (on and around Surrey Parkway, not University Blvd.).

Holland Park, University Blvd (directly West of skytrain), Central City plaza, King George Station area (aka Concord Pacific), area where the Ultra is being built (as well as the Rize development), Library etc. are all very nice! These areas are always buzzing with families/professionals/couples and are very urban and safe.

We moved here from Yaletown and noticed a similar trend there... Most areas are very nice and are frequented by the many residents of all the new towers in the area - however, there are some seedy places that everybody knows to avoid.

I'm very grateful to Diane Watts for building the new city hall in a location where there used to be a seedy strip mall! The Bosa development across the street will take care of another "seedier" area... Hopefully the new 47 storey tower improve Surrey Parkway (though it's really the area on the East side of Surrey Parkway that seems to attract the "hoodie" type people.

I work in Newton and I find it to be much sketchier than Whalley. The many new developments in Whalley have brought 1000s of young couples, families and professionals (D'Cor, D'Corize, Fuse, Agenda, Element, Ethical Gardens, Infinity, Park Place I & II, City Point, Quattro, Access, Evo, etc.). Pretty soon, in addition to the 1000s of new residents, there will be thousands of new jobs in the area (RCMP E division, City Hall, Hospital expansion) and that will further dilute and displace the few sketchy people that are left (and possibly push them to Newton!)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley