HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Zicarelli is putting it a bit mildly IMO. Over the past few years, Sportsnet covered the CFL the way RT (Russia Today) covers the US... they basically pay attention only when there's an opportunity to diminish, mock or belittle. In much the same way that RT pops up on my Twitter feed whenever there is a bad news story in the US, Sportsnet would be first to report any bad CFL news, or would spin it in the least flattering way possible.

It's clear that Arash Madani, who has some credibility from his background as a football insider guy, basically became SN's point man on dumping on the CFL. I'm sure Madani will change his tune pretty quickly now. I'm sure the CFL will be moved from the "other" tab on the Sportsnet website too where it gets lumped in with drag racing, cockfighting and whatever else.

(The irony here is that it was Sun Media that took a similar tack back in the 90s when it was Paul Godfrey chasing the NFL... but it was never as blatant as what Rogers has been doing lately.)
Someone was saying it's already been moved to the front page.

I have a feeling that once the TSN CFL contract is up, Sportsnet will make a bid to show CFL games. Ambroise is no slouch, as he's proven. He'll go to market and try and see where he can come out with the best value for the league.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:55 PM

^ The CFL traditionally was on 2 or more networks, it's really just the past 7 or 8 years where it has been exclusively on TSN. So in some respects, this would be nothing new.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
^ The CFL traditionally was on 2 or more networks, it's really just the past 7 or 8 years where it has been exclusively on TSN. So in some respects, this would be nothing new.
True enough but competition is a good thing. I would hope that both networks would try and one-up the other one for this coverage.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:50 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
True enough but competition is a good thing. I would hope that both networks would try and one-up the other one for this coverage.
And hopefully he'll push to have the playoffs and Grey Cup on broadcast television... Maybe even the odd regular season game too.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the CFL will be moved from the "other" tab on the Sportsnet website too where it gets lumped in with drag racing, cockfighting and whatever else.
I just spit coffee all over my monitor, that's funny!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Zicarelli is putting it a bit mildly IMO. Over the past few years, Sportsnet covered the CFL the way RT (Russia Today) covers the US... they basically pay attention only when there's an opportunity to diminish, mock or belittle. In much the same way that RT pops up on my Twitter feed whenever there is a bad news story in the US, Sportsnet would be first to report any bad CFL news, or would spin it in the least flattering way possible.

It's clear that Arash Madani, who has some credibility from his background as a football insider guy, basically became SN's point man on dumping on the CFL. I'm sure Madani will change his tune pretty quickly now. I'm sure the CFL will be moved from the "other" tab on the Sportsnet website too where it gets lumped in with drag racing, cockfighting and whatever else.

(The irony here is that it was Sun Media that took a similar tack back in the 90s when it was Paul Godfrey chasing the NFL... but it was never as blatant as what Rogers has been doing lately.)
http://http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs...-up-to-little/

I always think back to this article that really just completely belittles the CFL. To me, having a small salary, is just another reason to love the CFL.

Just an update, I went to sportsnet.ca on my cell and they have the CFL in the More tab which includes curling, racing, cycling, tennis, etc...LOL. Complete disrespect they show the CFL. Oh well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:23 PM

CFL released 2018 schedule! I freaking hate TNF...

https://www.cfl.ca/schedule/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
http://http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs...-up-to-little/

I always think back to this article that really just completely belittles the CFL. To me, having a small salary, is just another reason to love the CFL.
Completely agreed. I don't get people who bash the CFL for having a low salary cap. Was the NHL less entertaining in the 80s when Gretzky was the only guy who made a million bucks and every roster had guys making 5 figures? Would the CFL somehow be better if Matt Nichols made 6 million bucks but it cost $125 for a nosebleed seat? Please.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
It's clear that Arash Madani, who has some credibility from his background as a football insider guy, basically became SN's point man on dumping on the CFL
Point man or hitman? He was his usual ahole self at the Commish's State of the League Address. That Rogers was anti CFL was the worst kept secret in media. I firmly believe Rogers reacted to the backlash of people writing about it. As I have stated before Madani was so blatant the CFL PR guy publicly called him out on it, not once but twice. That is not something PR people do.

I am hearing that Rogers is looking at putting some decent cash into getting a weekly Saturday night game and because the whole thing is inbred (TSN/Bell/Rogers) it could get done fairly quickly breaking TSN's exclusivity. After all, aside from some non nondescript rumours NOBODY saw the Argos sale coming.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I am hearing that Rogers is looking at putting some decent cash into getting a weekly Saturday night game and because the whole thing is inbred (TSN/Bell/Rogers) it could get done fairly quickly breaking TSN's exclusivity. After all, aside from some non nondescript rumours NOBODY saw the Argos sale coming.
Would they push for a Saturday night to go head to head with Hockey? They are already taking a bath on hockey. I sometimes watch hockey on Saturday but would chose CFL if both were on.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Would they push for a Saturday night to go head to head with Hockey? They are already taking a bath on hockey. I sometimes watch hockey on Saturday but would chose CFL if both were on.
Nope, not head to head and much of it would be before hockey season anyway

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Nope, not head to head and much of it would be before hockey season anyway
Fair enough, good point

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:09 PM

"Pinball" Clemons: MLSE purchase more significant than Grey Cup win
December 14 2017

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame member discusses his 12 Days of Giving holiday campaign, the Argonauts capturing their 17th Grey Cup, and the purchase of the team by MLSE. (Start at 4:48)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:19 PM

Eskimos general manager shares views on Canadian quarterbacks and the ratio
3Down Staff 3downnation.com December 18, 2017

Brock Sunderland has been forthright in his first year as Eskimos general manager.

He kept that going when asked about Canadian quarterbacks counting towards the ratio.

“It’s trending that way. I would vote for it to be that way. If you have a Canadian quarterback he absolutely should count as a Canadian,” Sunderland told TSN 1260 in Edmonton.

“We had a scenario in 2006 in Montreal we had Jesse Palmer, he came up and Jim Popp and I were joking with him. We said we could literally start an entire offence of Canadian players. For me I don’t know why it wouldn’t be allowed, this is the Canadian Football League and if you can develop a quarterback it’s advantageous for the players, the fans, the league and everybody involved.”

With the possibility of an Atlantic franchise entering the league in the near future, Sunderland was asked about the current rule of having to start seven Canadians to comply with league stipulations.

“I know in Ottawa last year for the first three to four maybe even five weeks of the season we started nine. We just had the talent there so we went with it and it gave us a lot more opportunities if there was an injury. On the flip side, there is other teams and I’ve been with some teams where guys are propped up and they are starting,” Sunderland said.

“And what it does is it affects your cap because you’re playing a guy that really you don’t feel is a starter, but you have to pay him starter money because he is Canadian and there is a ratio affect. There’s good arguments on both sides. From the CFLPA perspective they’re going to protect their own and protect the investment of the Canadians, it is the CFL. Sometimes on our side we just want to play the best players no matter what, and a lot of times the Canadians are the best players, so it doesn’t matter anyway. But the reality is you are paying some Canadian players a little bit more because of the ratio, which makes sense.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada