HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:20 PM

How to save Your Kitchener Market?

So its not a new thing, the market sucks... so what would you guys do to save it?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 3:52 PM
Cambridgite

I've only been there once, and I don't think it sucks. It was also pretty busy when I went. I'd say the best thing you can do to save it is make purchases there as often as possible...vote with your dollars. For me, that's not entirely practical because I live in Cambridge and don't really bother to go to Kitchener to get groceries, especially with an A&P in short walking distance of my house. But for some of you downtown folks on here (or close to it), you know what role you could have in keeping it. Mainly, I think you need to have a sufficient population density downtown.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 1:07 AM

The Kitchener market is great. It has all the food the St. Jacobs market has, but without the bus loads of tourists and all the tacky crafts. Its also easier to get to. On Saturdays the place is really busy and has a great energy to it.

I'll admit though that the upstairs portion has been a bit of a flop so far, as has the plaza in front of it. The most important thing that needs to be done is to get permanent food vendors back into the upper level. There should also be an iXpress stop and the plaza out front needs some landscaping and shaded seating. the city will also need to promote and facilitate more redevelopment on the east side of downtown.

Other than that, its a good place and will be able to support an expanded schedule of market days as more people move downtown and learn to love the city again.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 11:16 PM

As others have said, the weekend market has been extremely successful to my eyes. A lot of vendors tend to sell out of certain items as the day goes on, and it always appears to be busy. I also prefer it over the Waterloo market, simply because it is easier to get in and out in a hurry.

Outside of the weekend though, that is where the Market has been a huge bust. I'm not sure what the city can do that they already haven't done, but this is where the focus needs to be.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario