HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I understand that they have decided to stay put.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
I understand that they have decided to stay put.
Not at all surprising given current conditions.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 10:41 PM

Jamestown plans $180M investment in City Hall East

Quote:
Jamestown Properties’ plan to redevelop the massive City Hall East building could create a Main Street crossroads for the historic Old Fourth Ward and turn Ponce de Leon Avenue into an east-west version of Peachtree Street connecting Atlanta and Decatur.

Initially, plans call for about 20 percent of the project to be stores, with the rest a mix of condominiums or apartments and offices. About 1.1 million square feet will be redeveloped.

Jamestown believes the location will draw national retailers that want to be on Ponce de Leon.

The redevelopment will also lean on Green Street Properties, the development and consulting firm that Jamestown acquired in 2008.

Jamestown plans $180M investment in City Hall East - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 11:02 PM

Speaking of Jamestown and Greenstreet - here is an early siteplan of their mixed-use project on the Chattahoochee.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:23 AM

Actual development? According to the developer, yes. They have leased half of the medical office space, have secured a construction loan, and will begin construction in the spring on the former TGIF restaurant site on Peachtree.

2061 Peachtree

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 3:41 PM

Interesting article on page one of today's Atl. Bus. Chronicle regarding Tivoli's new plans for a luxury hotel (f/k/a the Mandarin Oriental project) and mention that the Alvin James Group plans to build a $350 million luxury hotel in the 1300 block of Peachtree (across from the High). Apparently, Alvin James has secured funding for the land acquisition.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Interesting article on page one of today's Atl. Bus. Chronicle regarding Tivoli's new plans for a luxury hotel (f/k/a the Mandarin Oriental project) and mention that the Alvin James Group plans to build a $350 million luxury hotel in the 1300 block of Peachtree (across from the High). Apparently, Alvin James has secured funding for the land acquisition.
So potentially two new luxury hotels within a couple of blocks from each other?!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:11 PM

^ With condos! Just what we needed.

I wish some of this obsessions with "5 star" hotels could be channeled into increasing greenspace.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:46 PM

Well, this says they are still working on the civil human rights thing but it will be another year.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/cent...nd-688221.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 8:46 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
So what kind of demand is there for this sort of thing?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 6:16 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
^ With condos! Just what we needed.

I wish some of this obsessions with "5 star" hotels could be channeled into increasing greenspace.
One thing we've learned is you can never have too many high end condos and hotels.

Actually come to think of it, Midtown does need more greenspace. I may be wrong, but I get the sense that Spring, West Peachtree and Peachtree itself don't seem to have any north of 11th.

Last edited by dante2308; Oct 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:37 PM

^ There is zero greenspace west of Peachtree. Zero.

The 5th Street bridge is an oasis of green in my neighborhood.

It suppresses home prices because families will not look in the area.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
^ There is zero greenspace west of Peachtree. Zero.

The 5th Street bridge is an oasis of green in my neighborhood.

It suppresses home prices because families will not look in the area.
I've been thinking for a while that the lot occupied by those two woeful-looking buildings at West Peachtree and 13th and their erstwhile parking lots should be turned into greenspace. There's no public place in that neighborhood to hang out outside.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:53 AM

Does anyone know what these solar panels right across the street from The Tabernacle are for?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Does anyone know what these solar panels right across the street from The Tabernacle are for?

I'm guessing those are related to Ted Turner's venture into solar energy, since they're beside his Ted's Montana Grill and Atlanta office.

My first guess was that this was going to be a solar-powered charging station for electric vehicles, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
I may be wrong, but I get the sense that Spring, West Peachtree and Peachtree itself don't seem to have any north of 11th.
You're not wrong. Until a few weeks ago, my family lived near this area for four years and it was really sad to see the lack of green space here. We would end up going over to Winn Park in the Ansley Park neighborhood and using that to let our boy run and play on the playground.

We've moved downtown near Centennial Park and it's been great to have a nice place to walk to, relax and play.

I agree with ATLaffinity that the lack of park space in this area really hurts its potential for attracting families. And I agree with PedestriAnne that the (ugly) surface lots off W Peachtree & 13th would be a prime spot for a park. Even just a pocket park with a small playground and nice landscaping -- like you see in Paris and Manhattan -- would be great.

Damn, I'm agreeing with everybody! It must be Friday.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
I'm guessing those are related to Ted Turner's venture into solar energy, since they're beside his Ted's Montana Grill and Atlanta office.

My first guess was that this was going to be a solar-powered charging station for electric vehicles, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Yes, they are for the Bona Allen (Turner) building. In addition, they just submitted a permit to install them above all the surface parking on the block. I look out my kitchen window at them, any it's sort of surreal, and certainly much better than looking at a car park.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 5:22 AM

Teds right about the power grid, I was reading that in the U.S. if even 5% of the cars were converted to electric that the grid would be competely overwhelmed with the demand.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Teds right about the power grid, I was reading that in the U.S. if even 5% of the cars were converted to electric that the grid would be competely overwhelmed with the demand.
That's not true at all. The majority of the charging would occur at night when overall demand for electricity decreases.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 6:08 PM

Ajc Donates Former Hq To City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta