HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 4:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Met people from Sheraton, Crowne Plaza and Courtyard today.

Sheraton is under renovation currently.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hammer'd

The Sheraton is a wonderful hotel. I can't wait to see what it looks like after.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'll be touring all the hotels in May. I'll let you know after that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 1:44 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The Sheraton is under renovation... to meet the minimum requirements to be eligible for a Sheraton banner

Last edited by realcity; Sep 23, 2010 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 1:49 AM

The top floors have turned into rent-by-the-week rooms.

Last edited by realcity; Sep 23, 2010 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sheraton hotel gets millions for renovations

Jenni Dunning
THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...or-renovations

The Sheraton Hamilton is part of a $6-billion renovation to recreate the hotel chain's brand worldwide.

The local renovation aims to help "reposition" the hotel as Hamilton's leader in accommodations, said William Brown, general manager of Sheraton Hamilton.

The 18-storey building gets between $6 million and $8 million of the money, he said.

Plans for the King Street West hotel are extensive. The 302 rooms are connected by a variety of meeting spaces, including a loft lounge, updated Chagall's Restaurant, upgraded pool and fitness centre, and business centre and connectivity hub with wireless Internet.

"It's modern contemporary and what you'd expect from a four-star hotel," Brown said.

The majority of the project is complete with about 100 rooms still left to be renovated. It is expected to be completed at the end of March 2011.

Darko Vranich, a well-known downtown developer, bought the Sheraton in 2008 from Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Part of the licence agreement when Vranich bought the property was "to move forward and modernize" the hotel, Brown said.

Vranich's company, Vrancor Group, and Starwood are working together for the renovations.

The rest of the $6-billion investment will go to building new hotels in North America and internationally, renovations, and Sheraton brand initiatives, according to a Starwood media release issued yesterday.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'll be touring all the hotels in May. I'll let you know after that.
Did you end up touring all the hotels?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:49 AM
Concerned Citizen

I was driving down Main st. today and noticed that the sign announcing the hotel developement at Main and Walnut has been taken down.

Anyone know whats happening with that developement.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:06 AM

I noticed this as well, I ment yo post about it but haven't had a chance, anyway I have notice some people painting the outside, I took a peak in my the windows today. It looks like someone has been in there cleaning. Also noticed some guys on the roof today.

I work as the discount right there, Ill keep everyone posted if I see anything.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 6:41 AM
Concerned Citizen

Further to my previous post it looks like the planned hotel at Main and Walnut is no more. There is an opening soon sign in the window indicating that a bar and restaurant will be opening.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:50 PM

If they're going to reopen that as a bar/restaurant I think they should subdivide the space. It's just too big for one place.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hammer'd

I never had any faith that project was gonna get off the ground. A bar/restaurant is probably a better use anyway.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:21 AM

No, Hamilton desperately needs hotels--quality hotels with proper conference facilities.

At work, we are planning an Ontario wide conference. I suggested looking into some venues in Hamilton. The committee came back and said it was probably going to be in Mississauga

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:30 AM
It's Hammer Time

Yep I've planned a few conferences as well and Hamilton fails each time. Even McMaster fails, they have rooms that has a max of like 80 people with tables.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 2:42 AM

An interesting idea

Like drgpq said sub-divide it.
It has been a bar and big bars don't make it at least for long.
I have lived around Canada and in both Halifax and Victoria there are two venues that are huge massive big even but multiple individual bars (Vic =Stad Hotel with at least 5 bars and Cheers in Halifax).
With more people per area near the Durand Go station.
So open a tri-fold bar/cocktail lounge with the Day Inn just done the street.
Hotels will come. Take over some crap properties. Take over one of the parking lots like HMP...
I am supposed to organize a province wide meeting and all I have to offer is the Sheraton and where can we go at night? The hotel bar is crap.
I still think the School board would be an excellent property for a hotel next to city hall and ron Joyce hall.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Like drgpq said sub-divide it.
It has been a bar and big bars don't make it at least for long.
I have lived around Canada and in both Halifax and Victoria there are two venues that are huge massive big even but multiple individual bars (Vic =Stad Hotel with at least 5 bars and Cheers in Halifax).
With more people per area near the Durand Go station.
So open a tri-fold bar/cocktail lounge with the Day Inn just done the street.
Hotels will come. Take over some crap properties. Take over one of the parking lots like HMP...
I am supposed to organize a province wide meeting and all I have to offer is the Sheraton and where can we go at night? The hotel bar is crap.
I still think the School board would be an excellent property for a hotel next to city hall and ron Joyce hall.
I've heard the Sheraton bar is better now, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 6:19 PM

The Sheraton lounge is the best place downtown now imo it was greatly needed as another option. Finally a good after-work place without hearing video games and a basketball game and 20-somethings playing kissing-tag. I hated the Lawyer for that, I just want to relax a bit with a pint. Pint of Heineken is like $4, nice service, comfy interior, internet area, and free newspapers from all over, and real food. They've done a good job up there, cheers.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Further to my previous post it looks like the planned hotel at Main and Walnut is no more. There is an opening soon sign in the window indicating that a bar and restaurant will be opening.
I was talking to someone at MIP and their attempt to get a hotel, and they stated that almost no one out there is financing hotels/motels at this time. They are considered as a bad investment. It is almost all-private money and usually the owner themselves finance the project. There is off shore money but at a ridiculously high interest rate.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
The Sheraton lounge is the best place downtown now imo it was greatly needed as another option. Finally a good after-work place without hearing video games and a basketball game and 20-somethings playing kissing-tag. I hated the Lawyer for that, I just want to relax a bit with a pint. Pint of Heineken is like $4, nice service, comfy interior, internet area, and free newspapers from all over, and real food. They've done a good job up there, cheers.
I liked reading this. I am going for a drink after work this week just because you wrote that.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 12:36 AM

$4 pints of Heineken, are you sure?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton