HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 4:14 PM

Louise had the best snow I've ever seen there yesterday, knee deep powder all over the backside (which didn't open until about 10:30) and in the trees. Was too much for my freeride board and I kept getting stuck, especially in the trees. Amazing snow for Louise.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:05 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Louise had the best snow I've ever seen there yesterday, knee deep powder all over the backside (which didn't open until about 10:30) and in the trees. Was too much for my freeride board and I kept getting stuck, especially in the trees. Amazing snow for Louise.
Damn! If I wasn't going to Fernie this upcoming weekend, I would have went out for sure. I heard Louise just got absolutely dumped on.

Also just picked up a new pair of boots. Burton Ambush.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Damn! If I wasn't going to Fernie this upcoming weekend, I would have went out for sure. I heard Louise just got absolutely dumped on.

Also just picked up a new pair of boots. Burton Ambush.
I hit Sunshine on Saturday, and it was epic. Top half of Goat's Eye was windswept, which was good actually, as it scared most folks away. The bottom half was amazing.

In hindsight, I wish brought my Burton Fish as it turned out to be an exhausting day.

I have a pair of older Burtons with that lacing system. Best thing ever invented.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:42 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I hit Sunshine on Saturday, and it was epic. Top half of Goat's Eye was windswept, which was good actually, as it scared most folks away. The bottom half was amazing.

In hindsight, I wish brought my Burton Fish as it turned out to be an exhausting day.

I have a pair of older Burtons with that lacing system. Best thing ever invented.
Yeah, I have been using some older Burton hand me downs from my buddy for the last few years. Regular lace ups, which suck balls. Plus, I am a size 13 and his boots were a 12 (or maybe even an 11) my toes get jammed quite a bit in those old boots. I cannot wait to have a little more room plus those draw string laces. Heaven.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Yeah, I have been using some older Burton hand me downs from my buddy for the last few years. Regular lace ups, which suck balls. Plus, I am a size 13 and his boots were a 12 (or maybe even an 11) my toes get jammed quite a bit in those old boots. I cannot wait to have a little more room plus those draw string laces. Heaven.
That sounds a tad painful. Like boarding in a pair of rock climbing shoes.

You'll love the draw string laces. I had a pair of Salomons years ago that had the same set-up. Coldest pair of boots I've ever owned, but kept using them just because of the laces. Apparently Salomon forgot that Snowboarding is a winter sport.

With the drawstring, I can get into my boots in under 2 minutes, getting out is another story, but I'm never in a rush at the end of the day.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:

How was the visibility at Sunshine? the top part of the backside at Louise had really flat light so it was really hard to read the snow, the rest was pretty much epic.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:38 AM

Quote:
How was the visibility at Sunshine? the top part of the backside at Louise had really flat light so it was really hard to read the snow, the rest was pretty much epic.
For the most part it was flat as fuck. Luckily it was soft enough that it didn't really matter. Plus I like it when the conditions are a little adverse. Keeps the pylons off the hill.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 4:57 PM

This is true! when the light is that flat though I prefer to stick near the trees so I can tell where the hell I am lol.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:43 PM
Here and There

Going to castle this weekend. I suggest you all do the same. It is going to be one of the "castle" weekends I think.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Going to castle this weekend. I suggest you all do the same. It is going to be one of the "castle" weekends I think.
I love Castle but I refuse to go there on the weekend. You'll spend 3/4 of your time waiting in line for a chair.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:09 PM
Here and There

good point, That is why I take lunch at 11:00 or 1:00. The other lemmings usually take lunch right at 12. That is how I minimize the crowds at the chair. One bonus to the slow chairs though....the hill can stay untracked for days.

Quote:
I love Castle but I refuse to go there on the weekend. You'll spend 3/4 of your time waiting in line for a chair.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:26 PM

Also going to Castle, should be an awesome weekend! the lift lines suck, but the glades there are awesome!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
good point, That is why I take lunch at 11:00 or 1:00. The other lemmings usually take lunch right at 12. That is how I minimize the crowds at the chair. One bonus to the slow chairs though....the hill can stay untracked for days.
The wind also helps to keep the place untracked. Now that Fortress is but a faint memory, Castle is my favourite Alberta hill.

I once got stuck on the red chair in gale force winds when it was -20 at the base. Was riding up with some kid who started freaking out that we were going to die. I kept trying to calm him down, but at the same time, I kept thinking he might be right.

We weren't that high up, but we were overtop that rock field. So jumping wasn't even an option. Luckily the wind subsided and the lift started up again.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Also going to Castle, should be an awesome weekend! the lift lines suck, but the glades there are awesome!
The glades and the chutes are what keeps bringing me back. Hate the cat track out of the chutes, but it is a small price to pay. Every time I go there, I hate myself for not learning to switch. Now I'm way to old to even attempt to learn.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:00 AM

Hopefully Sunshine and Louise get enough snow to keep most Calgarians away from Castle...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Hopefully Sunshine and Louise get enough snow to keep most Calgarians away from Castle...
It's not all Calgarians. It's also folks from Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and the surrounding area.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:29 AM

Oh I know, there are also a lot of people from Calgary that go down there when they get good snow. Either way, here's hoping it's not too busy...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 2:13 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Went to Fernie today and yesterday. Completely epic! Probably the best snowboarding of my life. It did get a little choppy and heavy by the end, but the powder everywhere was amazing. Might do it again tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:25 AM

Castle was decent, no new snow since the big dump, but still lots to be found off the groomers (which were still pretty soft). Gorgeous sunshine yesterday, made for some nice hill beers lol.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:03 PM
Here and There

I chickened out on castle because of possible wind gusts of 40 - 60 km/hr. I went to sunshine and it was a beauty-day. I may just like sunshine again....god forbid. Glad castle was good for ya.

Quote:
Castle was decent, no new snow since the big dump, but still lots to be found off the groomers (which were still pretty soft). Gorgeous sunshine yesterday, made for some nice hill beers lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia