HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 12:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

If we did the same analysis in Canada we would find the most productive areas is Canada are Nunavut and the North West Territories. Followed by Alberta, Saskatchewan and NFLD. Then Ontario and BC tied.
You're right that these places are resource-driven economies. Interestingly all these places also have affordable housing markets.

When people have more disposable income, they have money to spend on other things which is good for the local economy and would certainly help push up GDP numbers as well.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 6:50 PM

If a lack of scale is a problem then why has Australia pulled ahead of us in productivity? We have 50% more people and connected to the world's largest economy while Australia is an island in the middle of no where.

Also this theory can't explain why we have had such a plunge in productivity since 1990. Was Canada's land mass any smaller back then? Hasn't our population nearly doubled since then? We have the same geographical size back then and were 50% less populated with 50% fewer consumers but somehow we were nearly at the top of the world in terms of per-worker productivity. All this when Canada has the highest rate of university attainment on the entire planet.

These are nothing but cheap excuses to comfort ourselves and take the heat off our politicians. The gap between us and the US in terms of productivity hasn't been this great in a century. The reality is that Canada is losing ground every single year and, according to the OECD, will continue to do so more than any other country till at least 2060.

This notion that immigration will come to our productivity rescue has proven itself to be a lie and yet despite this we are now doubling down on it. As Einstein said " insanity is trying things over and over and expecting different results".

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 6:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Australia has nearly completely deindustrialized, and they are more dependent on natural resource extraction than any other developed nation, much of it in the form of dirty coal. Australia's days of reckoning are coming.

Last edited by MolsonExport; May 11, 2023 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 7:00 PM

Let's all thank preachy Justin and the Liberals for this sad state of affairs;

Mexico poised to enter global liquefied natural gas industry and surpass Canada
BRENT JANG
VANCOUVER
PUBLISHED MAY 8, 2023

Mexico is poised to catch the next wave of demand for liquefied natural gas and surpass Canada in the global race to be a new entrant for exporting the fuel.

Momentum for LNG exports from Mexico increased after Europe experienced an energy crunch that was triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, 2022.

While Mexico’s exports would start out relatively modest, it is on track to handily beat Canada.

Analysts forecast that the United States will be the top LNG exporter in 2023, followed by either Australia or Qatar. If most of the Mexican LNG projects and proposals get built, Mexico could eventually become the world’s fourth-largest exporter of the fuel.

Canada recently ranked the world’s sixth-largest producer of natural gas, but it doesn’t have any LNG export terminals yet.....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...urpass-canada/

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Australia has nearly completely industrialized, and they are more dependent on natural resource extraction than any other developed nation, much of it in the form of dirty coal. Australia's days of reckoning are coming.
^^^ I will assume by your post that you meant DE-industrialized.

That, of course, is very true but my post still stands. Canada's population has doubled in the past 50 years yet we continue to lose ground against our economic peers. Importing more cheap labour is the exact opposite of what we should be doing as it discourages both business and government to invest in new technology and our labour.

Due to the real estate frenzy we need to house all these people it has also caused a warping in precious capitol both labour and financial. Both of those resources are now going towards building houses as opposed to factories.

Talked to someone just yesterday at the dog park. He had fairly good English and is trained as an Engineer at UBC. What does he do?.............he, in true Vancouver fashion, is a real estate agent. He said he can make twice as much money while working a lot less by doing so.

Ditch family reunification, drop our immigration rates by at least half, only allow people in who are FLUENT in either English or French, and only allow in workers in areas where we have a critical shortage ie healthcare, engineering, advanced trades etc. We have been given the "mass immigration will solve our problems" theory years to succeed and newflash.................it isn't working neither economically nor socially.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 12:23 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^^^ I will assume by your post that you meant DE-industrialized.
yes, my bad.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:37 AM
Closed account

Ever since I heard about the extra million people we got last year it made sense to me why our GDP numbers still show that the economy is expanding, but I suspected that per capita we might have contracted. Just saw this article which confirmed my suspicion. We are in a recession and have been for while, and it's not even close to being over yet. Very high chance this turns out to be a depression with a high inflation rate as they try to print their way out of this mess. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this as it's not something I want to experience, but I can't be blind to reality.

Canada Has Entered A Per Capita Recession, Quality of Life Expected To Erode
https://betterdwelling.com/canada-ha...cted-to-erode/

I should add, that this is a recession that needs to happen and is long overdue. Once this bust is over there will be a boom, and it will be real, based off productivity not debt, and we will see a better version of this country. But we need to go theough some pain as a nation to get there. We waited too long and let bubbles grow, so now things need to deflate. But after the bust things are going to be epic. I still think that when all is said and done millennials are going to end up being the wealthiest generation ever.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingGuy View Post
Ever since I heard about the extra million people we got last year it made sense to me why our GDP numbers still show that the economy is expanding, but I suspected that per capita we might have contracted. Just saw this article which confirmed my suspicion. We are in a recession and have been for while, and it's not even close to being over yet. Very high chance this turns out to be a depression with a high inflation rate as they try to print their way out of this mess. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this as it's not something I want to experience, but I can't be blind to reality.

Canada Has Entered A Per Capita Recession, Quality of Life Expected To Erode
https://betterdwelling.com/canada-ha...cted-to-erode/

I should add, that this is a recession that needs to happen and is long overdue. Once this bust is over there will be a boom, and it will be real, based off productivity not debt, and we will see a better version of this country. But we need to go theough some pain as a nation to get there. We waited too long and let bubbles grow, so now things need to deflate. But after the bust things are going to be epic. I still think that when all is said and done millennials are going to end up being the wealthiest generation ever.
Based on what?

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:30 PM

I think we're more likely looking at a prolonged period of negligible real growth. We might be looking at 2026 or 2027 before we're out of it.

The real estate bubble
Decline in Chinese growth
Record debt
High inflation
War in Ukraine
Climate change
Covid recovery

Very little short term to be optimistic about.

We're looking at a rough road to recovery.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we are in a "per capita recession", although that data is a bit suspect. It doesn't even have a scale on the negative side. Are we supposed to guess?

Population is a bit fickle too as it's not always counting bodies crossing the border, but people attaining specific immigration status (PR, Citizen, etc.)

If we're talking per capita, they we should be specific about working age individuals. We're not expecting kids to contribute to GDP. Baby booms shouldn't be causing technical recessions, that would be silly.

I don't know where your fearmongering about "depression with high rate of inflation" comes from. We're already seeing steep declines in inflation and the BoC is saying we'll be back in target range this summer. That sound optimistic, but 2023 year end seems easily achievable at this rate.

The only sticky point is high house prices, which continue to surprise me. Reducing immigration and building more would help. I'm not sure who has the stones and the ability to make both of those things happen.

Quote:
But after the bust things are going to be epic. I still think that when all is said and done millennials are going to end up being the wealthiest generation ever.
I'm curious why you think things will be "epic", and if millennials are the wealthiest generation ever, it will be a) in their golden years, who cares, and b) due to inheritance from boomer parents. Neither of which is helpful economically.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Based on what?
The end result is unknown, you have to put the pieces together for yourself and figure out what you think is going to happen. I'm just saying how I think it's going to add up when all is said and done. My thinking is the result of the following factors.

We already know that central banks of developed and middle economies across the world are buying tons of gold at a record pace (source). A lot of lower income countries seem to going towards bitcoin (legal tender El Selvador, Central African Republic. Bhutan has been secretly mining Bitcoin for years). What this tells me is that countries are starting to get ready for the non-fiat new world order and are making their bets. It's going to be gold vs bitcoin for a few years. My hope is that bitcoin wins, but we will see.

That said, for now we still have fiat currencies, and we are headed to a recession that most countries can't afford. Governments are bloated, productivity has declined. There is a lot of unproductive debt in the system that relied on low interest rates, and this debt is going into default. Raising interest rates triggered this recession and we are only starting to see the results of this. This doesn't just affect private citizens and corporations - it affects governments as well. They have to pay higher interest on their debt as well. The only way for nations to pay their bills is to run large deficits, which is just printed money. For some perspective though, the current banking crisis has already surpassed the one from 2008 in nominal terms, and this is just from 3 banks failing at the very start of the banking crisis. This recession is going to be a lot worse than 2008. We are likely headed for a depression.

The exact details of how governments handle this recession has yet to be written, but what usually happens is some combination of the following:
1. drop interest rates
2. print a lot of money
3. bail out banks/corporations/citizens/themselves using said printed money

I don't expect their handling of this recession to be any different, but what is going to be different is the magnitude. Debt across the world is so high and productivity so low, that they're going to have to print an astronomic amount of money just to avoid defaults. Think CERB on steroids.

Ultimately what I expect to happen is governments are going to end up give money to people and businesses to keep up with inflation, ultimately making inflation worse. This will be printed money, and will lead to higher prices. This is different than the past where new money went into assets, (although I'm sure there will be plenty of that as well). This is already happening on a small scale in Canada (eg. Alberta inflation relief payments, Grocery rebates). There will also be much more wealth redistribution, which has already started as well on a small scale (the way the carbon tax operates is a form of this).

Currencies will devalue, debt will be repaid with printed money, prices will keep going up, and once this process is over our debt-to-GDP will be back to a more "healthy" level. But because there will have been so much inflation people are going to lose their faith in fiat currencies, and there will be a major push for sound money that is backed by something, which is when I would expect the gold vs. bitcoin debate to kick into higher gear. Governments are already trying to get rid of bitcoin without much success.

Anyhow since a lot of the inflation will likely be at the CPI level, wages will go up by default, and housing as a percentage of peoples' incomes will start to come down. I still expect housing to go up in nominal terms, but in real terms it will come down. Ultimately once incomes catch up and an average household income is say $300K, a $1.5M average house might not be as out of reach anymore. Obviously there are more factors that play into housing prices (it's not just debt but also supply), but generally this is how I expect housing to become affordable again - through inflation of everything else.

While we're on the topic of housing, I should add that there is a very high risk of a lot of boomers selling their houses in relatively short window to pay for their retirements, and if that happens we are going to see a massive housing crash and very high CPI. I would only expect this to happen if there is some sort of event to trigger a massive sell-off. The most likely candidate in my eyes are a massive surge in supply (construction), or a massive reduction in demand (population decline). If this were to happen though, this would cause consumer prices to go up significantly. Most of the new money created over the past 30 years went into housing. As soon as people start selling off in droves, this money will become liquid and will get spent on stuff, at which point inflation will incredibly hard to contain. It's going to happen at some point we just don't know when. No bubble lasts forever though, and this one is absolutely massive.

There's a strong chance the US will have it worse than us, since a large part of their economy is dependent on them being the world reserve currency, but this is in the process of ending. What happened over the past few decades is that US companies would borrow cheap money and use it to import products from the rest of the world. The borrowed money is printed (typed into existence), and then paid off using local dollars when they sell product in the US. However all that printed money is still out there, it's just circulating in the rest of the world, and used to settle international contracts that have nothing to do with the US. We already know that this is coming to an end though. For the first time ever, the last few months the Chinese Yuan was used for more Chinese exports than the US dollar (source). BRICS nations intend on making their own currency so they don't have to use the dollar anymore either (source). So if the world de-dollarizes, what's going to happen is that all the printed dollars that were sent overseas to import stuff to the US, is going to end up making it back to the US, at which point the US will start seeing massive inflation.

Canada doesn't have that problem at least since the CDN dollar isn't a widely used global currency - most dollars that were printed are already in our national economy (mainly housing). But I don't for a second think that the money printing is over yet. As soon as this recession gets really bad and unemployment ticks up we're going to see CERB on steroids - Trudeau has already hinted at this. (source)

Ultimately once this decade is over I think it's going to look like this:
1. Currencies backed by either gold or bitcoin
2. Tons of inflation will result in prices of everything looking very different
3. Asset prices including houses will be more in line with whatever incomes are at that point, although this may take longer to correct
4. Unproductive debt paid off through inflation
5. The lack of debt in the system will allow more money to be spent on capital, which will ultimately unleash actual productivity, which is how the next boom is going to start.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Ultimately once this decade is over I think it's going to look like this:
1. Currencies backed by either gold or bitcoin
2. Tons of inflation will result in prices of everything looking very different
3. Asset prices including houses will be more in line with whatever incomes are at that point, although this may take longer to correct
4. Unproductive debt paid off through inflation
5. The lack of debt in the system will allow more money to be spent on capital, which will ultimately unleash actual productivity, which is how the next boom is going to start.
Lots of thoughts and opinions in there.

1. We are beyond gold. Bitcoin is an asset like gold, not a currency or method of payment.

2. Inflation based on what? Recessions are not inflationary. They are the opposite.

3. Ok, this is good news. How we get there is not clear.

4. Yes, inflation is good for government debt. I just don't see where the inflation is coming from.

5. If we're at "historic levels" of debt, where is it all going away? As you say, governments will spend money if we're in a recession, not pay down debt. Paying down debt is a popular talking point, but in reality people won't tolerate it for too long, they'll want tax breaks instead.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we are in a "per capita recession", although that data is a bit suspect. It doesn't even have a scale on the negative side. Are we supposed to guess?

Population is a bit fickle too as it's not always counting bodies crossing the border, but people attaining specific immigration status (PR, Citizen, etc.)

If we're talking per capita, they we should be specific about working age individuals. We're not expecting kids to contribute to GDP. Baby booms shouldn't be causing technical recessions, that would be silly.

I don't know where your fearmongering about "depression with high rate of inflation" comes from. We're already seeing steep declines in inflation and the BoC is saying we'll be back in target range this summer. That sound optimistic, but 2023 year end seems easily achievable at this rate.

The only sticky point is high house prices, which continue to surprise me. Reducing immigration and building more would help. I'm not sure who has the stones and the ability to make both of those things happen.

I'm curious why you think things will be "epic", and if millennials are the wealthiest generation ever, it will be a) in their golden years, who cares, and b) due to inheritance from boomer parents. Neither of which is helpful economically.
But our working age population is what's growing via immigration - this isn't a baby boom.

I already answered the inflation question above, but in short, when given the choice between defaulting on loans or printing money to pay off debt, every government that issues their own currency is going to choose the latter. This money will eventually make its way into the local economy. I'm not trying to fear-monger, I'm just saying what I expect to happen.

Building more is going to happen, we're already headed in that direction, as more and more voting-age people get locked out of the market, they will vote for these policies. As with all bubbles it's probably going to over-correct. "When" is the mystery.

Once bad debt has been written off and inflation has run its course, the economy will be free for capital investment into productive assets again, which is when I would expect there to be an epic boom, comparable to the post WW2 boom. This will probably be in the 2030s.

And to elaborate, I expect the millennial generation as a sum to be very wealthy, but with high inequality - via inheriting boomers' assets. Gen Alpha is going to be much better off, since they will come of age once we're in peak productivity.

Millennials = Lost generation
Gen Z = Greatest generation
Alpha = Silent generation

Our future equivalent to baby boomers hasn't been born yet, but they will be incredibly wealthy compared to people today.

Millennials are a massive generation though, and will be a significant portion of the voter base, and are enter their prime years of holding powerful positions. This means that policies are going to shift in millennials' favour, since the world will soon be run by millennials. I expect this to be the case in the 2030s. Millennials will millennials richer, so we're not going to be a total write-off, and yes still end up being richer than boomers as a sum, but again, probably with a lot of inequality.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I already answered the inflation question above, but in short, when given the choice between defaulting on loans or printing money to pay off debt, every government that issues their own currency is going to choose the latter.
Whoa whoa whoa, under what scenario is the government going to default on debts?! I don't know where you're getting your info.

Quote:
Once bad debt has been written off and inflation has run its course, the economy will be free for capital investment into productive assets again, which is when I would expect there to be an epic boom, comparable to the post WW2 boom. This will probably be in the 2030s.
Who is going to invest? In what? The WW2 boom was for entirely different reasons.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Lots of thoughts and opinions in there.

1. We are beyond gold. Bitcoin is an asset like gold, not a currency or method of payment.
Every fiat currency in the history of time has failed. For thousands of years, societies have kept returning to gold and silver.

Quote:
2. Inflation based on what? Recessions are not inflationary. They are the opposite.
Two things.

1. Low interest rates since 2008 caused people to borrow large sums of money to buy real estate and stocks, causing massive bubbles. This borrowed money was typed into existence by banks, but never entered the consumer economy. When these bubbles pop, which is going to happen at some point we just don't know when, there is going to be a massive sell-off at which point all this money that was created is going to become liquid and get spent into the economy.

2. In the recession, governments are going to print money to pay off their own debt, as well as hand out money to corporations and citizens to avoid defaults. A lot of this money is going to get used to pay off debt, but a lot is going to enter the consumer economy as well causing CPI to go up.

Quote:
5. If we're at "historic levels" of debt, where is it all going away? As you say, governments will spend money if we're in a recession, not pay down debt. Paying down debt is a popular talking point, but in reality people won't tolerate it for too long, they'll want tax breaks instead.
Central banks will print money and give it to the government, which the government will use to pay off their debts, which are bonds.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa, under what scenario is the government going to default on debts?! I don't know where you're getting your info.
They're not going to default on their debt. That's my point. To avoid defaulting on their debt their only option is going to be to print money, which is exactly what's going to happen.

Quote:
Who is going to invest? In what? The WW2 boom was for entirely different reasons.
The private sector will invest into productive assets that generate profit.

The public sector will invest into infrastructure which improve the efficiency of society.

When debt is no longer a burden, it frees up cash to invest into productive assets. This is what happened in the 50s.

Last edited by LightingGuy; May 12, 2023 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Every fiat currency in the history of time has failed. For thousands of years, societies have kept returning to gold and silver.
Bold to think it will happen again worldwide in the next 10 years.

Quote:
Two things.

1. Low interest rates since 2008 caused people to borrow large sums of money to buy real estate and stocks, causing massive bubbles. This borrowed money was typed into existence by banks, but never entered the consumer economy. When these bubbles pop, which is going to happen at some point we just don't know when, there is going to be a massive sell-off at which point all this money that was created is going to become liquid and get spent into the economy.

2. In the recession, governments are going to print money to pay off their own debt, as well as hand out money to corporations and citizens to avoid defaults. A lot of this money is going to get used to pay off debt, but a lot is going to enter the consumer economy as well causing CPI to go up.
Those things are true, but I think we already saw it all play out during COVID and the fallout. Without the Russian conflict I think we'd be in pretty good shape today. A year from now that may be winding down too. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Quote:
Central banks will print money and give it to the government, which the government will use to pay off their debts, which are bonds.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:46 PM

Quote:
They're not going to default on their debt. That's my point. To avoid defaulting on their debt their only option is going to be to print money.
Debt servicing is still historically low. When we had a real Debt/Deficit crisis in the 90s, printing money didn't happen. Austerity did. Plenty of room to cut government expenses today as well.

Quote:
When debt is no longer a burden, it frees up cash to invest into productive assets. This is what happened in the 50s.
Sure, I guess. You could argue the COVID shutdown spending mirrors the WW2 war deficits. So, we're already on the way out and into the good times. Though I don't expect a repeat of the 50s in any way.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Debt servicing is still historically low. When we had a real Debt/Deficit crisis in the 90s, printing money didn't happen. Austerity did. Plenty of room to cut government expenses today as well.

Sure, I guess. You could argue the COVID shutdown spending mirrors the WW2 war deficits. So, we're already on the way out and into the good times. Though I don't expect a repeat of the 50s in any way.
Here is my best attempt to explain my position, and why right now isn't analogous to the early 90s at all.

Debt servicing cost is historically low, but the overall debt isn't. Here is my breakdown of where we are.

Debt to GDP is the highest is at least at a 43 year high.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...nt-debt-to-gdp

But our debt servicing cost is low.

https://economics.td.com/fiscal-stimulus-debt

This is only because our bond yields are incredibly low. Although they have been going up because...

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...ent-bond-yield

Our interest rates have been rising rapidly, which has been pushing our bond yield higher as well - a trend that will only continue unless rates get cut again.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/interest-rate

This means that while the interest on our government debt is low now, it's likely to get more expensive very soon.

And despite our debt servicing cost being so low, our government as an expenditure of GDP is incredibly high:

Canada: Government spending, percent of GDP

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Can...vernment_size/

So the question then becomes: How is the government going to afford the higher debt servicing cost?

Is it going to be through taxes?

Corporate taxes are at an all time low, so can we get it from there?

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/corporate-tax-rate

Seems like a good idea except ... private sector GDP is through the roof, and won't be able to afford a huge tax increase. A lot of our businesses can barely afford their debt as is. Increasing their taxes is going to cause more problems and unemployment.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/private-debt-to-gdp

So maybe we can get it from personal taxes. That's what we did in the 90s after all... increased personal tax as a share of GDP.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blog...-tax-1917-2017

Except, household debt is through the roof - people need to keep their earnings to pay off their debt:

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...ds-debt-to-gdp

People are also barely saving any money either, since most of their money is going towards paying for their mortgage, rent, car, etc. Very different from the 90s.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/personal-savings

And in the mean time all this debt has been pushing our GDP rate down for years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gdp-growth-annual

So again how are we going to pay off all this government debt?

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...nt-debt-to-gdp

We can't tax it. We can't borrow it.

So what are our remaining options?
We can't tax it - the economy can't afford it
We can't keep raising rates - the economy can't afford that either, and frankly neither can the government
We can't borrow more money - our bond yields are incredibly lower than CPI, so no one wants our bonds. And besides, it's debt that got us into this problem in the first place.
We can make some cuts, which will help - but there's not as much fat to trim as the early 90s, and the debt is higher than then, so this likely won't be enough.

So what are the remaining options then?
1. Drop rates - so that the government can afford to pay its own debt, but will lead to more private sector borrowing and therefore inflation. And rates are already low, so there isn't much that can be cut.
2. Print money - to use to pay its own debt
3. Cut government significantly - which will push unemployment up

It'll be some mix of the above.

Basically there is no way out of this without more inflation and high unemployment.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...-balance-sheet

Last edited by LightingGuy; May 12, 2023 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:30 PM

Liberal governments have generally focused on growing GDP.

Early governments focused on growing GDP by adopting innovation agendas. That amounts to funding R&D, attracting business to Canada, etc.

I would agree growing GDP through population growth is ok but not the best way. The best way is to grow GDP by attracting business to setup in Canada.

If you grow GDP and keep debt as is you bring the ratios back in line.

We probably do need to look at reducing government spending in some area so we can free up money to invest in other areas that grow the economy. We need major expansions to port facilities on the west coast. We have a lot of retaining that needs to happen to transition to a greener and more AI based economy. We need to do that transition in a just way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada