HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 12:00 AM
gettin' rich!

Renovation work beginning on Exterior of Eaton Centre for new Nordstrom Mid-Market Store

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:46 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Winners Coming Soon to Tri-City Mall, Cold Lake Alberta!

Sitings is pleased to announce Canada’s discount fashion retailer, Winners, has leased 20,000sf at Tri-City Mall in Cold Lake, Alberta and will be opening February, 2015. Get ready to find items like designer clothing, footwear, furniture, bedding, toys, beauty products and more.

Strategically placed, Tri-City Mall is located along Highway #28, between North and South Cold Lake to service the entire residential populace as well as the many tourists that visit. Moreover, it’s no secret that the oil and gas industry is booming in Northern Alberta. Cold Lake is Alberta’s second largest oil sands deposit next to Fort McMurray, with nearly $3 billion of oil expansion projects currently underway. Recent economic growth in the region surrounding the Cold Lake oil sands has had national retailers rushing to secure their footholds in this strong economic region.

http://sitings.ca/sitings-news/winne...-lake-alberta/
Big news!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 8:10 PM

lol that site seems to use !! in all its headlines

so nordstrom opened today - any calgarians gone yet?

source

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:49 AM

Nordstrom’s Canada roll-out attracts mixed reviews, comparisons to Target

Seattle department store chain urged to make its Canadian locations as indistinguishable as possible to its 271 U.S. stores

Nordstrom’s first Canadian store is getting mixed reviews from retail insiders, with many warning the Seattle-based chain to operate as close as possible to the way its 271 U.S. stores are run or risk steep losses.

The department store chain (NYSE:JWN) opened its first Canadian location in Calgary September 19 and is expected to open:

•in Ottawa in March, 2015;

•in Vancouver in September, 2015; and,

•the first of three Toronto stores starting in fall 2016.

“Nordstrom is risking going down the same road as Target by not providing what the customer is looking for, and expecting in stores from experiences in the U.S.,” said Graeme Silvera, who is Ivanhoe Cambridge’s vice-president of development for Oakridge Centre.

http://www.biv.com/article/2014/10/n...ixed-reviews-/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Nordstrom’s Canada roll-out attracts mixed reviews, comparisons to Target
Does not surprise me at all. Holt Renfrew is a true high-end department store with class. Nordstroms is becoming too common and just does not have the class.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:29 PM

I would have liked to have seen the article mention whether each of the panelists have been to the store or not.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:34 PM

I don't recall people griping about chains not being 100% exactly like their US counterparts before... for instance, Wal-Mart in Canada is not exactly like the ones in the US, but people seemed to accept it. But now, if you can't find some Archer Farms frozen poultry at Target like you can in the States, people wig out... I don't get it.

As for Nordstrom, it seems like the kind of chain that would do well in Canada. A little higher end and more aspirational than The Bay, but still within reach for the average Canadian who may be priced out of a more chi-chi place like HR.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:06 PM

who knew canadians were such whiney fuss buckets

with only one store its kinda hard to judge how they will do overall, at least they have already stated that they can't carry a lot of things cause they are not licensed or able to do so in canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't recall people griping about chains not being 100% exactly like their US counterparts before... for instance, Wal-Mart in Canada is not exactly like the ones in the US, but people seemed to accept it. But now, if you can't find some Archer Farms frozen poultry at Target like you can in the States, people wig out... I don't get it.

As for Nordstrom, it seems like the kind of chain that would do well in Canada. A little higher end and more aspirational than The Bay, but still within reach for the average Canadian who may be priced out of a more chi-chi place like HR.
Target gained popularity because it was not Walmart in the sense that they supported a different set of brands from Walmart. Walmart has all the safe and recognisable staples while Target had a different variety.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:14 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
I don't recall people griping about chains not being 100% exactly like their US counterparts before...
The issue is painfully simple. The higher you go on the food chain the more mobile your Canadian customer is. And yet, even the wealthiest Canadian consumers aren't spectacularly price inelastic.

Demographically speaking, for most of the women in this photo the Nordstrom at Chinook isn't really all that more "accessible" than the one in Scottsdale, Newport Beach or Las Vegas.

So, if you enter the Canadian market either looking for untapped inelastic high-income consumers and or believe you only need to be slightly better or no worse than the incumbents when it comes to prices and service, you're going to be roadkill. There is no cachet to these brands among their target market in Canada. They aren't like 1950's German teenagers lining up overnight to buy Levi's. Your Canadian customers already know your store and your products and they will recognize instantly whether the merchandise and value is there or not.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 PM

Premium Outlets opens discount mecca at Mirabel

Quote:
The latest Premium Outlets centre opens Thursday about 45 kilometres north of downtown Montreal, a 35- minute drive without traffic.
Quote:
The Mirabel centre is a village-style, chalet-chic mall with room for 84 shops, covering 365,500 square feet.
Quote:
A Hudson’s Bay outlet, the second in Canada, is an anchor, with 26,000 square feet housing contemporary mid-range labels like Vince Camuto and Rachel Roy, as well as some offerings from The Room, Toronto’s luxury designer department
Quote:
Seventy shops open Thursday; Lacoste, Diesel and others are scheduled to open in the coming weeks and months.
Quote:
“We can grow easily by another 100,000 to 150,000 square feet,”
http://montrealgazette.com/business/...cca-at-mirabel

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:

The weird thing to me was that my wife, an American who grew up in Ohio, didn't actually notice anything amiss with Target here.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
... by contrast, Sask has a per capita GDP of CDN$72,000. If Sask ever decided to buy Dior clothes with as much enthusiasm as when they buy Weston Dressler jerseys, there would be several high end designer boutiques lining the Cornwall Centre and Midtown Plaza. But that's not where their tastes lie.
Quote:
originally posted by Policy Wonk
The issue is painfully simple. The higher you go on the food chain the more mobile your Canadian customer is. And yet, even the wealthiest Canadian consumers aren't spectacularly price inelastic.

Demographically speaking, for most of the women in this photo the Nordstrom at Chinook isn't really all that more "accessible" than the one in Scottsdale, Newport Beach or Las Vegas.

So, if you enter the Canadian market either looking for untapped inelastic high-income consumers and or believe you only need to be slightly better or no worse than the incumbents when it comes to prices and service, you're going to be roadkill. There is no cachet to these brands among their target market in Canada. They aren't like 1950's German teenagers lining up overnight to buy Levi's. Your Canadian customers already know your store and your products and they will recognize instantly whether the merchandise and value is there or not.
I think you hit the nail on the head. From what I can tell in Saskatchewan, the shoppers that are most inclined to shop high end are also well heeled & do shopping trips to Wilshire & Rodeo or Beverly Centre while they are in LA or Union Square in SF or Scottsdale Fashion Sq in Phx just for examples.. they know the difference between American stores and what to expect if companies open up stores here.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 12:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Holt's is still considered a department store? As in having Men's and Women's departments? I guess Gap and Tommy Hilfiger are also department stores.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:26 PM

holts has shoes, handbags, jewelry, cosmetics, fragrances, some tech accessories and designer cell phones and at christmas they have food, books, toys and gadgets

my friend from korea who moved to canada a few years ago said holt renfrew was the only store he thought of as a department store, he said sears and the bay weren't what he thought of as department stores. he was used to korean department stores which were high end like holt renfrew.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
The weird thing to me was that my wife, an American who grew up in Ohio, didn't actually notice anything amiss with Target here.
me neither, last summer i went to the coquitlam one and two days later the one in marysville WA state. same home decor, clothes and such.

the only big difference was food stuff, pharmacy kinda stuff and some beauty, because a lot of brands just aren't carried in canada. For instance the states has more burt's bees range available than in canada because burts bees doesn't make particular products for Canada I assume. I looked online at burts bees US site and than the Canadian site and the range of products in canada is not near as great.

Also Some people on facebook complained on the target page that they didn't carry vizio TV's like they do in the USA, but Vizio only just entered the Canadian marketplace a few months ago.

I really hope target stays in Canada, i have bought so much stuff there and the clearance prices have been great

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:24 AM
gettin' rich!

Eaton Centre Renovations

By me

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:22 PM
video et taceo

i really like aura. i don't see why it was so controversial.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i really like aura. i don't see why it was so controversial.
You really need to see it up close and in person to appreciate just low little thought went into the details and materials of that tower. The overall shape is nice though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:37 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
who knew canadians were such whiney fuss buckets
Quite the opposite. Canadians are known for being doormats in the retail industry and we pay a heavy price at the cash register due to our cultural tendency to accept what ever people feed us. It's well known that there's a 'Canada premium'. We're charged more right off the bat because they know we'll just suck it up and hand over our cash.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada