HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 3:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
You just make it too easy. I'm not even going to respond because it will really just give me the same level of pride I feel in my ability to breathe.
That has never stopped you before.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:20 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
^

The Broncos better make the play offs this year and have a home game. Its been to long.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:51 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

That you even have a hope that the Donkeys make the playoffs this year elicits a stronger response:

Face it, we're back in the early 1970's again. It'll be some time before the Donkeys climb back out of the wilderness.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Yea. Looks like its going to be a long season. Hopefully CSU P does good so one of my two favorite teams has a winning record.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Great football weekend, at least from my perspective, as both CSU Pueblo and the Broncos won.

CSU Pueblo:

They beat Adams State 27-10. That brings their record to 3-0 and with the impressive wins they have had I hope they get more top 25 votes this week in the national polls.

Broncos:

It was a fun game but dam Seattle sucks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 2:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^Not likely, CSU-P has only played three cream-puff teams with another cream-puff next week. The first real test will be against Chadron St. on the 2nd, win that one and CSU-P starts looking like a contender in the RMAC.

Last edited by wong21fr; Sep 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 4:38 PM
BANNED

^

While I agree I don't think CSU P will be in the top 25, last week CSU P had 1 vote so it would be nice if we had 2 votes this week. To be honest I am not sure how that works though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^Not likely, CSU-P has only played three cream-puff teams with another cream-puff next week. The first real test will be against Chadron St. on the 2nd, win that one and CSU-P starts looking like a contender in the RMAC.
I just looked at the schedule and CSU P is home against Chadron St on Saturday, Oct 2. Since you say they are the first real test I will make sure I am at that game to see how Pueblo does. If we can manage a win it will be a party night for sure and since the Broncos are away on the 3rd I can sleep in.

BTW as a side note according to the Chieftain there were over 6,000 people at the last home game. Not bad for CSU Pueblo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:09 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^In the RMAC there are currently three teams that are currently, and historically, the power houses: Chadron State (historic), Nebraska Kearney (historic), and the School of Mines (current). I'm not too sure about Fort Lewis, but they'll be a bigger challenge than the last three teams that CSU-P has squared off against next week.

If CSU-P defeats Chadron State (who are probably still really pissed after CSU-P knocked them out of the rankings in 2009), it signals that CSU-P is actually a contender in RMAC and not just one of the turds. The school would be able to claim to be a polished turd at the least.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Given the fact this is CSU P's third year I am pleased with their progress.

I have a question. Since CSU Pueblo is a major state school is it only a matter of time before they become a power house in division 2 as they have more funding? I mean in a sense they are the "flag ship school" for southern Colorado while most the schools they play are just secondary colleges to the main colleges of the region, in terms of sports anyway. I mean even the School of Mines which is a great college still is not talked about much in the Denver metro area because of CU Boulder. I hope this made sense.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:33 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Given the fact this is CSU P's third year I am pleased with their progress.

I have a question. Since CSU Pueblo is a major state school is it only a matter of time before they become a power house in division 2 as they have more funding? I mean in a sense they are the "flag ship school" for southern Colorado while most the schools they play are just secondary colleges to the main colleges of the region, in terms of sports anyway. I mean even the School of Mines which is a great college still is not talked about much in the Denver metro area because of CU Boulder. I hope this made sense.
CSU Pueblo is a major state school? I wasn't aware of that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Buddy, the real question is when does CC bring back their football program and start spanking your ass?

Schools with major funding in CO go like this: CU, Mines, DU, CSU, CC and then the rest way, way, way in the back. CSU-P is just like the other state schools: fighting for scraps.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:38 PM

Uhm no... CSUP is itself a Satellite campus. It's part of the Colorado State system. I fail to see how that separates it from any number of division II satellite campuses.

Not that it matters. Division II is filled with some pretty good programs. Northern Alabama, Grand Valley State, and Valdosta State all spring to mind (all are standalone schools, not part of a larger system).

I think it's actually more difficult to build a solid contender in Division II than it is in the higher divisions. Your limited in scholarships, and there are a lot of really solid schools out there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:39 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
Didn't you know CSU-P is one of the big three schools in CO along with CU and CSU?

Eeyore will explain it all.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
You learn something new every day.

I know at this point it is no CU Boulder or CSU Fort Collins as they have over 20,000 students. That being said they have agreements with all the community colleges in the state and is seen as the university in southern Colorado that students want to attend who do not want to leave the area. Thus they are to us what CU Boulder is to Colorado, the "flag ship school". Even the attendance is much more then most division 2 teams, over 6,000 people at the last game. So I just wonder if over time that gives them a advantage to most division 2 teams? If so I would want them to stay in division 2 as I don't want to happen to UNC happen to them.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
Uhm no... CSUP is itself a Satellite campus. It's part of the Colorado State system. I fail to see how that separates it from any number of division II satellite campuses.

Not that it matters. Division II is filled with some pretty good programs. Northern Alabama, Grand Valley State, and Valdosta State all spring to mind (all are standalone schools, not part of a larger system).

I think it's actually more difficult to build a solid contender in Division II than it is in the higher divisions. Your limited in scholarships, and there are a lot of really solid schools out there.
CSU Pueblo is not a satellite campus and I think that is what sets it apart from most division 2 schools.

First the definition:

"A satellite campus or branch campus is a campus of a college or university that is physically detached from the main university or college area, and is often smaller than the main campus of an institution.

In many cases, satellite campuses are intended to serve students who cannot travel far from home for their education because of family responsibilities, financial limitations, or other factors. The availability of branch campuses may increase higher education enrollment by nontraditional students.

Electronic communications technology has helped to facilitate the operation of satellite campuses. Classes taught at one campus can be transmitted to other locations via distance education, students at branch campuses can access library materials on the main campus electronically, and technology allows institutions to administer registration, admissions, and financial aid transactions remotely."

CSU Pueblo is smaller then CSU Fort Collins but it is not just a local university that students attend who can not travel to Fort Collins or other universities like say Metro is in Denver. In fact it's out of state and northern Colorado enrollment is growing a lot as more people learn of CSU Pueblo. In fact CSU Pueblo has just a big a presence on the CSU Board as CSU Fort Collins. The bottom line is both schools are their own institution specializing in their own areas that happen to be the only two universities in the CSU system.

That is why I am in no rush for CSU Pueblo to be a division 1 school. Fist off I hate the bowl system as there is no clear champion and in division 2 there is a play off system with a "super bowl". I would love to see CSU Pueblo be one of the top teams that usually makes the play offs and wins the championship enough to be seen as a division 2 power house. I guarantee you that Pueblo would party just as much as Denver did when they won the super bowl when CSU Pueblo wins the division 2 national title. Personally I will be at the game just like i was at the last 2 super bowls the Broncos won.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:30 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^I'm willing to bet that almost all of those students who are from out of state of from outside CSU-P's geographic area are student athletes recruited into the athletic programs. Not all of them, but most of them.

BTW, most DII schools aren't like CSU-P. They are independent schools that stand on their own, not a bastardized off-shoot of a more prestigious school.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^I'm willing to bet that almost all of those students who are from out of state of from outside CSU-P's geographic area are student athletes recruited into the athletic programs. Not all of them, but most of them.

BTW, most DII schools aren't like CSU-P. They are independent schools that stand on their own, not a bastardized off-shoot of a more prestigious school.

Lets just wait to see the trend over the next 5 years or so with CSU Pueblo's football team. Once they win a national title or two I suspect Colorado will give us more respect. In fact with the way the Broncos are playing CSU Pueblo could very well be the next Colorado football team to win a national title.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:

Lets just wait to see the trend over the next 5 years or so with CSU Pueblo's football team. Once they win a national title or two I suspect Colorado will give us more respect. In fact with the way the Broncos are playing CSU Pueblo could very well be the next Colorado football team to win a national title.
How about you win an RMAC title first? Something that CSU-P, or its previous incarnations, hasn't done in 30 years and only once in the school's entire ill-begotten history. Calling your team mediocre would be a complement.

Football isn't CSU-P's forte', try baseball.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How about you win an RMAC title first? Something that CSU-P, or its previous incarnations, hasn't done in 30 years and only once in the school's entire ill-begotten history. Calling your team mediocre would be a complement.

Football isn't CSU-P's forte', try baseball.
That was before it was CSU Pueblo. In fact back when it was USC it was a NAIA school and they did not have their own football stadium but played at Dutch Clark Stadium, the same stadium the high school teams in Pueblo play at, and practiced at a field at Pueblo Community College. Now its CSU Pueblo and a division 2 team with its own football stadium on campus that they, and the city of Pueblo, should be proud of. On top of that they have the backing of a growing university, CSU system, and a city that is excited about the football program. I suspect that is going to help CSU P win a few national titles in the next 10 years or so.

As far as baseball, I hope CSU Pueblo the best but I just can't get excited about it as I think watching grass grow is more exciting then a baseball game. In fact I think I would rather watch a soccer game as at least those guys are hot in their little shorts and t-shirts lol.

Last edited by Eeyore; Sep 20, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West