HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post

Also looks like once 880 breaks ground in South of 10th Midtown only a couple projects left to break ground before all existing proposals are in construction:

NCR Phase 2 (which is all but certain)
640 Peachtree
Juniper and 5th
Eviva Peachtree
Per the developer, 640 Peachtree isn't happening any time soon. Due to the tightening in lending for hotel projects Noble says that after their current slate of three projects that includes the AC/Moxy hotel on 14th, they are done with new development for a while. The other two projects are in other cities.

The same Bisnow article says that the Homewood Suites / Canopy Hotel downtown is on hold for the same reason.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:55 AM

1084 Howell Mill aka Broadstone Westside filed today for construction of two buildings and their parking deck, separately:

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
Peachtree at 3rd proposed 18 floor hotel w/ 238 rooms.
640 Peachtree is the southwest corner of Peachtree and Ponce.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:55 PM

hanover

epogee

museum place

museum place from high

Spring hill, so different than two years ago!

ncr

ncr and modera williams

alta interior park

Not sure why these are icons, but if you click it makes them bigger

Last edited by robertjhajek; Nov 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:11 PM

Wow, a little weird to think how sleek Williams and 8th will be, despite being along the highway. Will be curious to see how long the smaller parcels between 9th & 10th to west peachtree survive.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 9:24 PM

FYI, SCA Construction on Facebook provides weekly photo updates of their construction projects. This includes both Hanover projects in midtown

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 9:56 PM

Does anyone have any very recent photos of Broadstone Midtown midrise development? Last time I was by there they had install a little bit of the black brick and I loved how high quality it looked...very similar to Azure with a real feeling to it and not that fake, cheap brick stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Wow, a little weird to think how sleek Williams and 8th will be, despite being along the highway. Will be curious to see how long the smaller parcels between 9th & 10th to west peachtree survive.
Absolutely. With 8th street being as small as it is, that area really does feel very compact. I'm already loving the glass they're using for the NCR development.

EDIT: I'll be honest...not a fan of the Alta Midtown midrise portion of the development...looks cheap and more akin to the apartment development in neighborhoods like Reynoldstown or Grant Park...not Midtown. The little greenspace will probably be the best thing about the building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:48 AM

New Midrise off of Howell Mill and Emery St.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:02 AM

Reynoldstown is pushing back on a zoning variance looking to change height limits from 42' to 68' at a parcel along the beltline (930 Mauldin St SE). They're contacting representatives requesting the application be denied.

Thoughts?

-Also- the colors for that Howell Mill project is hideous. Similar to the Encore up in Cumberland.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Nov 28, 2016 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:53 AM

Broadstone Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Does anyone have any very recent photos of Broadstone Midtown midrise development? Last time I was by there they had install a little bit of the black brick and I loved how high quality it looked...very similar to Azure with a real feeling to it and not that fake, cheap brick stuff.

Absolutely. With 8th street being as small as it is, that area really does feel very compact. I'm already loving the glass they're using for the NCR development.

EDIT: I'll be honest...not a fan of the Alta Midtown midrise portion of the development...looks cheap and more akin to the apartment development in neighborhoods like Reynoldstown or Grant Park...not Midtown. The little greenspace will probably be the best thing about the building.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Reynoldstown is pushing back on a zoning variance looking to change height limits from 42' to 68' at a parcel along the beltline (930 Mauldin St SE). They're contacting representatives requesting the application be denied.

Thoughts?

-Also- the colors for that Howell Mill project is hideous. Similar to the Encore up in Cumberland.
Strange to me how Reynoldstown seems to have become the poster child for NIMBYism in Atlanta. It always seems like it's this neighborhood that is pushing back on any high density apartment development. They act like they're Inman Park or Virginia Highlands...hell even these neighborhoods have allowed dense commercial corridors to be developed near the Beltline and they're much more exclusive. Reynoldstown still has a bunch of shacks and vacant homes....it's not that nice of a neighborhood.

People want to live on the Beltline. Why should we limit that to a select wealthy few?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:30 AM

I live in Reynoldstown. My neighbors would tell you that they are in favor of density, but that it should be on Memorial and Moreland, where the roads can handle the traffic. They don't want buildings this size being built on the Beltline, dividing a cohesive low-density residential neighborhood and bringing significant car traffic to its narrow one-lane streets.

I understand their concerns but I don't agree with them. I don't dare say this publicly, because I've seen how some of them talk in private about people who do. I also don't see the point because I don't think their protest is going to have any effect. The Beltline master plan for this subarea, approved in 2011, calls out six story buildings as appropriate for this section of the Beltline. It highlights this exact parcel for a six-story building. So I think it's pointless to argue against that level of density. They should've known it was coming, and instead focused on convincing the developer to do things they care about: build the Trolley line PATH trail segment that's planned to run next to the building. Build out some useful community-oriented retail along the Beltline side. Maybe some public greenspace. But instead, they focused all their venom on the height of the building and parking, and so the concessions they got were a few corners of the height shaved off, and some on-street parking added within the private owner's land (off the public right of way). Those are crap concessions, but now the builder can show them to the city as evidence that they tried.

Fighting density on the Beltline and using traffic or parking as a supporting argument is a losing battle, especially for a building that's about a block from a future streetcar stop at Memorial Drive. Atlanta wants to be a city of 1 million plus. Reynoldstown is lucky to have the Beltline in the middle of our neighborhood. We should be prepared for our neighborhood to change, and to gain some new neighbors. One thing that's gotten lost in the debate is that 15% of units will be affordable, which is something we've been asking every developer for and been getting it from too few. We could have asked for even more if we hadn't been fighting over the height of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Strange to me how Reynoldstown seems to have become the poster child for NIMBYism in Atlanta. It always seems like it's this neighborhood that is pushing back on any high density apartment development.
To push back on this specific point; Reynoldstown has actually done just the opposite; encouraging developers like Jeff Fuqua to build more density than plans originally called for on properties along Moreland and Memorial Drive. RCIL has also voted to support dense townhouse developments for two vacant corners along Moreland at Hardee and Kirkwood that haven't gotten talked about much. I think they're just hesitant to see the character of the Beltline change. I love Reynoldstown but I think the neighborhood just picked the wrong battle this time.

Last edited by pica; Nov 28, 2016 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post
I live in Reynoldstown. My neighbors would tell you that they are in favor of density, but that it should be on Memorial and Moreland, where the roads can handle the traffic. They don't want buildings this size being built on the Beltline, dividing a cohesive low-density residential neighborhood and bringing significant car traffic to its narrow one-lane streets.

I understand their concerns but I don't agree with them. I don't dare say this publicly, because I've seen how some of them talk in private about people who do. I also don't see the point because I don't think their protest is going to have any effect. The Beltline master plan for this subarea, approved in 2011, calls out six story buildings as appropriate for this section of the Beltline. It highlights this exact parcel for a six-story building. So I think it's pointless to argue against that level of density. They should've known it was coming, and instead focused on convincing the developer to do things they care about: build the Trolley line PATH trail segment that's planned to run next to the building. Build out some useful community-oriented retail along the Beltline side. Maybe some public greenspace. But instead, they focused all their venom on the height of the building and parking, and so the concessions they got were a few corners of the height shaved off, and some on-street parking added within the private owner's land (off the public right of way). Those are crap concessions, but now the builder can show them to the city as evidence that they tried.

Fighting density on the Beltline and using traffic or parking as a supporting argument is a losing battle, especially for a building that's about a block from a future streetcar stop at Memorial Drive. Atlanta wants to be a city of 1 million plus. Reynoldstown is lucky to have the Beltline in the middle of our neighborhood. We should be prepared for our neighborhood to change, and to gain some new neighbors. One thing that's gotten lost in the debate is that 15% of units will be affordable, which is something we've been asking every developer for and been getting it from too few. We could have asked for even more if we hadn't been fighting over the height of the building. I think the neighborhood picked the wrong battle. I love Reynoldstown and many of my neighbors but I see a divide growing between the people who lived here before the Beltline and the people who have moved here because of it (like me).
All they're trying to do is limit the supply in the neighborhood so that their home values rise substantially as a result of low supply/high demand. I hope the apartment project goes through....if it's zoned for 6 story building, I don't see the big deal. Atlanta is trying to become a big city. You need apartment of this height in order to add a large amount of residents who are trying to move on. We can't continue to build single family homes forever. It's too little space and makes the city exclusive and largely non-walkable because single family homes lack the critical mass of commercial shops, restaurants, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post

To push back on this specific point; Reynoldstown has actually done just the opposite; encouraging developers like Jeff Fuqua to build more density than plans originally called for on properties along Moreland and Memorial Drive. RCIL has also voted to support dense townhouse developments for two vacant corners along Moreland that haven't gotten talked about much. I think they're just hesitant to see the character of the Beltline change. I love Reynoldstown and many of my neighbors but I think the neighborhood just picked the wrong battle this time.
I'm literally looking at the adjacent parcels along the Beltline in this area via google maps and it's nothing but greenfields and vacant one story industrial buildings....where is the character along the "future beltline"? I don't see character...I see a blank canvas that can be built with high density walkable apartments/condos/rowhouses. I can't for the life of me understand why residents would want this(what's currently there) along the Beltline. It looks like the country. It doesn't look like a city at all...

EDIT: Look at this: https://goo.gl/maps/fSZy3c3RWuz

This might as well be somewhere in Bum****, Mississippi or Alabama. It's embarrassing for a city striving to be "world class".

Last edited by Ant131531; Nov 28, 2016 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
And, no matter how striking the architecture is or isn't for whatever is built at 195 13th, isn't it in the middle third of a block with 20+ story buildings all around it? How much could it possibly stand out in this location, regardless, at a roughly 25-story height? It is matching Yoo! on the Park in floor count. I'm not quite sure what some are expecting in the way of dazzling architecture.
Quote:
195 13th looks appropriate for the area. I'm a little curious about that parking garage in the back though, but this design is simple and clean. Good infill for the area with a heavy demand for residential units and sensible retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
In theory, I agree with you but I actually appreciate this design because I was expecting another variation of Spire, Viewpoint and Apogee from SRSSA. Ironically, the projects you mentioned are by different firms. This one is simple and has an attractive urban form. And for the umpteenth 20+-story residential tower in the city that's good enough for me.

Good design doesn't need to be "dazzling architecture" nor does it need to "stand out". In fact good architecture,design shouldn't HAVE to stand out. No where in my argument am I calling out for some "starchitect" level of design. I'm just calling it out for what it is: banal.

While we all should heed some caution judging a design from a rendering (particularly the refinement of materials) the scale and proportions are just "meh". It's another glass box trying to do too much at the top and too little at the bottom. The cantilevered balconies will do little to break up the monotony of the extruded glass box. But I guess if we're complacent that "at least it's not another Skyhouse" we should still be challenging the design "status quo" for future projects- otherwise these newer projects will become the next "glass box monstrosities" that this forum will complain about for the next 5+ years.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
But I guess if we're complacent that "at least it's not another Skyhouse" we should still be challenging the design "status quo" for future projects- otherwise these newer projects will become the next "glass box monstrosities" that this forum will complain about for the next 5+ years.
Serious questions: How do you feel about 98 14th? What design examples would you prefer seeing be built?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:11 PM

98th & 14th

Quote:
Serious questions: How do you feel about 98 14th? What design examples would you prefer seeing be built?
I would like to see something more along the lines of the Sovereign tower built on that site - something less predictable than what is currently proposed.

Just my humble opinion.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I would like to see something more along the lines of the Sovereign tower built on that site - something less predictable than what is currently proposed.

Just my humble opinion.
I'd like to see a little more height here, especially since Yoo is essentially the same height (and I don't particularly like Yoo's facade when viewed from the lookout at Piedmont Park). That way it should stagger upwards toward Peachtree. I do enjoy glass facades coming to midtown, although I think Buckhead is getting more stimulating proposals. In general, modern is a good look for Atlanta. I do also really enjoy the restored wearehouse districts, but not sure it's too fitting of Midtown. And while the groundfloor retail debate is a little exhausted here, I have no qualms reiterating I am pro retail at this location as well.

Really though, I think 195 13th will be good for the area. What really needs to happen is 1125 Peachtree bring a building or 2 with height and captivating design.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:35 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ond-phase.html

Lindbergh Phase 2 is starting to ramp up with 2 Piedmont fronting properties being shopped around for Mixed Use TODS.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...tion-site.html

Developer StreetLights is developing plans for Block B of 17th Street which is the empty hole between the Novare condos and the office buildings.

http://streetlightsres.com/developments/ (They have some sleek developments in other cities; Hopefully we won't get another EIFS monstrosity)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:31 PM

^ that is seriously great news for the lindbergh district. i took marta home for thanksgiving and was reminded just how much of an eyesore that plot of land fronting piedmont is.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:15 PM

I cannot tell what they're planning to develop. Either the MARTA parcels or those parcels in conjunction with adjacent properties?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations