HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:02 AM
retro_orange

What about the money from the %15 foreign buyers tax...

Quote:
Little help for housing in B.C. budget

Matt Robinson
More from Matt Robinson

Published on: February 21, 2017 | Last Updated: February 21, 2017 2:29 PM PST

Finance Minister Mike de Jong repeated in his Tuesday budget speech a by-now-familiar message from Victoria: It’s through increased housing starts that the affordability crisis that has gripped urban centres around the province will be eased.

And while he had much to say on the housing file, he offered little by way of new spending announcements to reduce the high costs.

“I’ve cautioned before and I’ll say it again,” de Jong said, “we can’t just focus on getting more people into the market. On its own, without adding to the supply, that’s just going to drive prices higher.”

De Jong’s words appeared to be aimed in part at local governments, which play a shared role in enabling new construction. He said the province intended to “help ensure cities and municipalities have the capacity, incentives and performance targets needed to expedite the processing, approvals and permitting” of development applications.

But his cautionary message may also have been aimed at residents, and specifically those who may have been seeking a little extra financial help to get into the scorching real estate market.

Announced in the budget was a razor-thin increase in the First-Time Home Buyers Program threshold. First-time buyers would now be eligible to save as much as $8,000 of the property transfer tax on a home valued up to $500,000. Previously, they could save up to $7,500 on a $475,000 home.

Given the substantial increases in home prices over the last year in areas like Metro Vancouver (up 12.7 per cent over the year prior), the nominal increase may underwhelm prospective first-time buyers.

In all, the province plans to spend $320 million on housing from 2017-18 to 2020-21. By comparison, B.C.’s investments totalled $600 million in 2016-17, according to the budget.

Before delivering his budget speech, de Jong told reporters home starts grew by more than 33 per cent in 2016.

mrobinson@postmedia.com
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-in-b-c-budget

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
DeJong is just parroting that discredited mantra from his bosses (aka developers).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:35 PM

Uh oh, not the thing Christy probably wants to see on the eve of an election:

Elections BC forwards political contributions investigation to RCMP

Elections BC says it has referred its investigation into indirect political contributions and other political contraventions of the Election Act to the RCMP. This follows reports the BC Liberals received illegal contributions from lobbyists....

http://www.news1130.com/2017/03/10/e...tigation-rcmp/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:40 AM

I can't believe that, when I move to Quebec this summer, I will be moving to a less corrupt jurisdiction

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:15 AM

Interesting stat here, but with first the Alberta Progressive Conservatives and then the Manitoba New Democrats being replaced over the past two years, the BC Liberals are now the longest-governing party in the nation. By the next election, it will have been 16 years of uninterrupted Liberal government.

The next longest is the Ontario Liberals, who've been in office for over 13 years.

The BC record is Social Credit's 20-year run from 1952-72 (all under one premier, W.A.C. Bennett). If the Liberals win this election, they could potentially break that record.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:35 AM

Here's Eric Grenier's analysis of the polling data aggregates. We all know how well the polls did last time in BC, but it's worth knowing.

Polling averages provincewide:

NDP: 37.6%
Liberals: 34.5%
Greens: 15.8%
Conservatives: 11.9%
Others: 0.2%

Broken down by region:

Metro Vancouver: 39.6 NDP, 34.1 Lib, 14.7 Grn, 11.6 Con
Vancouver Island: 38.8 NDP, 32.2 Lib, 21.4 Grn, 7.6 Con
Interior and North: 36.5 Lib, 32.6 NDP, 16.1 Grn, 14 Con, 0.7 Others

Party leader approval/disapproval/undecided

Clark: 37/56/7
Horgan: 40/29/30
Weaver: 32/20/47

Those numbers for Clark are poor, but not a complete lost cause. The fact that her opponents are largely unknown commodities provides her an opportunity. Horgan's numbers are good, but many British Columbians still do not know him. He will be giving many people a first impression once the writ drops, and that period will be crucial for the NDP. Weaver is largely unknown, awareness and equal exposure will be a challenge for the Greens.

Grenier's analysis gives the parties the following range of seats, in order of minimum, average, and maximum

NDP: 31-46-61
Liberal: 24-40-55
Green: 0-1-5
Conservative: 0-0-1

He's currently giving the NDP a 3/4 chance at winning a majority.

Looking at the polls from last time (setting aside the fact that the Liberals overperformed by about ten points, and the NDP underperformed by about ten points), the Greens also ended up a few points down from the average polling number, with the Conservative underperforming even more.

If I'm the Liberals, I'm pretty happy with where I sit at the moment, especially with how many are saying "Conservative" to pollsters. Especially outside of a writ period, I feel that BC is particularly tough to poll given the federal/provincial differences. Could it also be that this time, that confusion is actually helping the provincial Liberals? The federal party has been doing historically well in the province....how many who plan to vote for Horgan also voted for Trudeau?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:11 AM

I'm a fairly centrist guy, and voted Liberal in the last federal and provincial elections here in Alberta. Wasn't quite sure where the BC Liberals fell on this spectrum, so I did the Vote Compass quiz from the last election. Similar Vote Compasses done at the federal as well as the provincial level here in AB also yield results of me being a Liberal.

My BC result was: NDP 72, Lib 62, Grn 53, Con 48.

I find that result a bit odd, because my place on the spectrum was a bit closer to the Liberals than the NDP.

In terms of social liberalism/conservative, I was exactly where the BC Liberals are (skewing a bit towards liberalism), and in terms of economic left/right, I was right in the middle (Liberals skewing more right, NDP skewing more left).

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/canada/bcvot...s/votecompass/

I was surprised to see the Liberals in that election were saying that the rich should pay more in taxes, as well as corporations. I sided with the provincial Tories on both those questions. In terms of education questions, I was exactly where the NDP were on each question. On environment and natural resources, I was basically between the NDP and Libs, likewise with First Nations questions, healthcare I skewed a bit more NDP, immigration I was basically where they both were, labour relations I skewed NDP, oil and gas I skewed Liberal, social programs I was with the Liberals on everything, and "traditional values", I was between the two.

If I were to compare BC parties to Alberta parties, I would probably put the Liberals about where our last PC government was under the red Tories Redford and Prentice, and I'd probably compare the Conservatives to the Wildrose. BC Cons may even be more conservative.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:15 AM

If the Liberals would just find another party leader or something, I'd be happy to vote for them. This election basically boils down to whether you dislike Christy Clark or the NDP more.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I can't believe that, when I move to Quebec this summer, I will be moving to a less corrupt jurisdiction
You can not get any less corrupt than Quebec, it runs very deep, with unions, politicians and organized crime all colluding with each other. Don't forget things like SNC-Lavalin and Bombardier bribery on the international stage. It's bad enough to require it's own task force.

Meanwhile in BC, the extent of corruption tends to be accusations of the BC government, repeatedly, taking money and selling off public assets, or the RCMP being involved in crimes of their own.

One could be excused for not understanding or even caring about the depth of corruption in BC, but just because we accuse the politicians of being corrupt, does not make it so.

And that is something that young voters seemingly are unwilling to concede.

The NDP offers nothing to young voters but empty promises of "being better", but that is not meaningful when the status quo is only measured against the NDP's previous bad image.

Most political conversations go something like this.
"Gee the Liberals suck about ____"
"Not as bad as the NDP's fast ferry fiasco" ($450 million, from $210 million)
"Your right, it's not that bad yet"

So the Liberals will get away with everything until they waste a not-insignificant amount of tax payer dollars on some epic boondoggle. That's all BC Tax payers care about. LNG and Site C are not those. The only boondoggle in the cards is the Surrey LRT, and the City of Surrey will ultimately get the blame for it.

There is ultimately nothing remarkable in the last budget. For the Liberals to fail as badly as the Glen Clark NDP, one of these province-ordered projects has to double in budgeted cost before the election. The most likely project is the GMT replacement which seems rushed, but it will just be getting started in 2017.

In the grand scheme of things, there is nothing to pin blame on the Liberals except the real estate price escalation, and even that has more to do with Federal anti-money-laundering rules, and Quebec's foreign investor program, and nothing to do with the BC Liberals.

So I will not be surprised if the BC Liberals win again. Clark lost her seat last time, I would not be surprised if that happens again.

But the NDP still has no winning strategy, and still refuses to rebrand, so maybe they don't want to win.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Maybe what is most funny to me is how BC is seen as the "loony left" by most of the rest of the country. We've probably had more right-leaning governments that most of the rest of the country.

I'd love to see a Conservative party with some support here again. That would hopefully force the liberals to be more traditional federal/central Liberal. I'd support that all day long.
I chuckle at this too, especially considering the fact that BC has had about 15 years of combined centre-left government throughout its entire history.

A lot of the progressive stereotypes about BC are rooted in its history as a focal point of the environmental movement, attitudes towards things like marijuana, gay rights, etc. A lot of this is heavily concentrated in the city of Vancouver and on Vancouver Island. For instance, Vancouver Island is the only place in the country where one could reasonably call the Greens a mainstream force in politics. You've got things like safe injection sites in the Downtown East Side, people like David Suzuki who are national figures, Marc Emery, etc. And even though they don't win very much, an examination of election results over the years suggests that the BC NDP has the strongest baseline of support of any provincial NDP in the country, including Saskatchewan and Manitoba, where they've got a much more notable history of governance.

The centre-right in BC has always been remarkably organized in their opposition to the NDP, and federal Conservatives and Liberals have generally coalesced around one provincial party since WWII. First under the Liberal/PC coalition, then under Social Credit, now under the Liberal banner. The centre-right in Saskatchewan didn't figure that out until the late 90s.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:07 AM

So what is the NDPs position on issues?

What is their position on LNG?
What is their position on resource extraction in general?
What is their position on the GMT replacement?
What is their position on continued expansion of highway 1 to Alberta?
What is the position on all other major highway projects?
What is their position on the Broadway Subway?
What is their position on the Surrey LRT?

Seriously, I have heard nothing about their position on anything!

Right now my fear is that they will essentially cancel / severely reduce all highway projects (have to please the fringe environmental base).

They will essentially kill all resource extraction (for same reason above).

The only thing they may be good for is transit expansion, but they haven't said anything! For all I know they may fuck that up as well and push at grade LRT over skytrain (seeing how skytrain recently has become the Liberals technology of choice in projects).

As much as I don't care for Christy Clark, the NDP actually scare me since I know little about them (and the little I do know reacts of identity politics).

I personally do feel that having Vision and the NDP in power at the same time is a bad combination for BC. The only saving grace will be the federal projects / properties in BC at such a point.

So, someone please answer the list of questions at the top.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Nobody can answer the questions because the NDP haven't said much of anything. They already fell into the Uber trap laid by the Liberals. They have certainly shown in the last election and the years since that they have real trouble forming a cohesive policy, apart from a few members like Eby who have been excellent on housing.

All that said, your post is just a bunch of FUD.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 8:15 AM

Why is that a bunch of FUD?

These are all projects / issues I am concerned about.

While they are not the best i have a general idea where the Liberals stand on all of them

If the NDP have no official position, on any of those, then that is a real cause for concern.

Seriously, what is wrong with asking those questions?

Or is just because you support the NDP and anyone who thinks otherwise (or even asks questions otherwise) is a troublemaker??

I seriously would like a better option to come forward than the Liberals, but as off now offering no ideas / positions is not a good alternative. It is not my fault that the NDP are only offering FUD as of now

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Why is that a bunch of FUD?
It's FUD because in the absence of evidence you are assuming the NDP hold the exact opposite views that you do. You ask a bunch of questions, which is fair, but then you assume all of the answers, and they are all negative. That's Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

There's little the NDP are doing to gain my vote.

The Liberals have put BC in a good financial position, and I have no complaints personally, but I can't support such an obviously corrupt government who seems too arrogant to care about what people think.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:46 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
So what is the NDPs position on issues?

What is their position on LNG?
What is their position on resource extraction in general?
What is their position on the GMT replacement?
What is their position on continued expansion of highway 1 to Alberta?
What is the position on all other major highway projects?
What is their position on the Broadway Subway?
What is their position on the Surrey LRT?

Seriously, I have heard nothing about their position on anything!

Right now my fear is that they will essentially cancel / severely reduce all highway projects (have to please the fringe environmental base).

They will essentially kill all resource extraction (for same reason above).

The only thing they may be good for is transit expansion, but they haven't said anything! For all I know they may fuck that up as well and push at grade LRT over skytrain (seeing how skytrain recently has become the Liberals technology of choice in projects).

As much as I don't care for Christy Clark, the NDP actually scare me since I know little about them (and the little I do know reacts of identity politics).

I personally do feel that having Vision and the NDP in power at the same time is a bad combination for BC. The only saving grace will be the federal projects / properties in BC at such a point.

The NDP has in fact answered some of these questions.

They have committed to expanding Highway 1 to Alberta:
https://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/john-h...-all-highway-1

For transit, they will be increasing the provincial share of projects to 40%:
https://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/john-h...ansit-upgrades

You could take that article as proof of support for the LRT, but it could also just be lip service. Might still be possible that they'd push for SkyTrain to Langley. It's not like they're gonna come out against the city before an election. Hell, have the Liberals even said anything on that? Seems like we're just assuming they'll push for SkyTrain.

They have expressed "skepticism"about the Massey Tunnel replacement, though I'm not sure where that puts them:
http://www.news1130.com/2017/02/20/n...l-replacement/

That being said, I think it's a bit much to expect them to take positions on these individual projects. One would assume that they would continue projects that have already had so much put into them. I do agree that these are important; infrastructure spending is one of my main priorities in party support. But it's not like they'll put out a list of which projects they support and don't.

I'm not sure I'll be voting for the NDP (looking at the Greens also), but I'm surprised you guys see them as not having positions. Ending MSP premiums, banning corporate and union donations, opposing Kinder Morgan, $10/day childcare, 40% transit project funding, $15/hour minimum wage. These are all things on their website. Seems like a fairly comprehensive plan this far out from the election. What's the Liberal's platform? Legalizing Uber?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I'm not sure I'll be voting for the NDP (looking at the Greens also), but I'm surprised you guys see them as not having positions. Ending MSP premiums, banning corporate and union donations, opposing Kinder Morgan, $10/day childcare, 40% transit project funding, $15/hour minimum wage. These are all things on their website. Seems like a fairly comprehensive plan this far out from the election. What's the Liberal's platform? Legalizing Uber?
I didn't know they planned on ending MSP premiums, that's good news.

Universal Child Care is great, but their $10/day plan doesn't appear to be means-tested, which seems silly.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 1:23 AM

So I looked at the 2013 results and determined that these would be the main ridings to watch in 2017, based on being competitive races last time around.

I've listed specific ridings that should be targets for these parties:

Liberal targets:
Skeena
Stikine
Burnaby-Deer Lake
Burnaby-Lougheed
Coquitlam-Maillardville
Vancouver-Fairview
Vancouver-Point Grey
Cowichan Valley
Nanaimo
North Island
Saanich North and the Islands

NDP targets:
Boundary-Similkameen
Penticton
Fraser-Nicola
Maple Ridge-Mission
Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows
Surrey-Fleetwood
Surrey-Tynehead
Delta North
Burnaby North
Port Moody-Coquitlam
Vancouver-Fraserview
North Vancouver-Lonsdale
Comox Valley

Green target:
Saanich North and the Islands

Here's what I would consider the very safe seats

Liberal safe seats:
Nechako Lakes
Peace River North
Prince George-Mackenzie
Prince George-Valemount
Kootenay East
Kelowna-Lake Country
Kelowna-Mission
Westside-Kelowna
Cariboo-Chilcotin
Kamloops-South Thompson
Abbotsford-Mission
Abbotsford West
Fort Langley-Aldergrove
Langley
Surrey-Cloverdale
Surrey-White Rock
Richmond Centre
Richmond East
Richmond-Steveston
Vancouver-Quilchena
West Vancouver-Capilano
West Vancouver-Sea to Sky

So, these are about 22 seats that I'd consider rock solid for the Liberals, not in play whatsoever.

Similarly, these would be the rock solid NDP seats. This amounts to 13 total:
North Coast
Kootenay West
Nelson-Creston
Surrey-Green Timbers
Surrey-Whalley
Vancouver-Hastings
Vancouver-Kingsway
Vancouver-Mount Pleasant
Vancouver-West End
Powell River-Sunshine Coast
Alberni-Pacific Rim
Juan de Fuca
Victoria-Swan Lake

Last edited by BretttheRiderFan; Mar 12, 2017 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The NDP has in fact answered some of these questions.

They have committed to expanding Highway 1 to Alberta:
https://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/john-h...-all-highway-1

For transit, they will be increasing the provincial share of projects to 40%:
https://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/john-h...ansit-upgrades

You could take that article as proof of support for the LRT, but it could also just be lip service. Might still be possible that they'd push for SkyTrain to Langley. It's not like they're gonna come out against the city before an election. Hell, have the Liberals even said anything on that? Seems like we're just assuming they'll push for SkyTrain.

They have expressed "skepticism"about the Massey Tunnel replacement, though I'm not sure where that puts them:
http://www.news1130.com/2017/02/20/n...l-replacement/

That being said, I think it's a bit much to expect them to take positions on these individual projects. One would assume that they would continue projects that have already had so much put into them. I do agree that these are important; infrastructure spending is one of my main priorities in party support. But it's not like they'll put out a list of which projects they support and don't.

Thanks for this detailed post. Lots of good information there.

Wanted to respond sooner but was drinking last night, which is never a good time to post!

Some stuff on there I like, but some I don't and some seem to reflect that same problems that cost them the election last time around.

While I fully support stringent, well funded, and full enforced environmental regulations, BC is a resource rich region of the world, and has largely been built on resource extraction. This should not be overlooked...

Overal I am still leaning towards the Liberals (who, along with Translink, have indirectly hinted that the Expo extension will be done as skytrain), but in the end I have been out of BC for over 3 years so I probably cannot even vote anymore for all I know!

I also do think that huge projects (such as the GMT replacement) are big enough that the NDP should have an official position.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:25 PM

It's funny that since the election campaign got underway Stingray2004 has been absent from the forum. Just sayin'.....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:47 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
The best party to lead British Columbia into the future is the provincial Liberals! They have already a great record to prove this. They have been a force with creating jobs in the province. To succeed you need to have a job. They also have done a great job of balancing the books.
You look at the other provinces like Alberta and Ontario. They are both examples of left wing politics that should make a normal person cringe!

Also, what will happen with a N.D.P. government that does not have a plan! They will promise you the world only to deliver a tax payers nightmare!
I would hate to see the deficit after a N.D.P. government. I am a proud British Columbia whom would like to see a good future for the grand kids!
Unlike the nightmare you see in Ontario! Just sayin'.....

Last edited by sunsetmountainland; Apr 11, 2017 at 7:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics